Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:40:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 352
Total: 353

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Will the new president make a difference for us?  (Read 21675 times)

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
Re: Will the new president make a difference for us?
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2008, 01:07:46 pm »
The insured in the US have just as many problems (mostly different problems) with healthcare as the uninsured.

Absolutely ridiculous. I've had insurance and now I don't and believe me it presents a whole different set of problems. Number one being I can't afford to see a doctor if I get ill.

I think there are about 47 million people who might disagree with with this statement.

The grass is always greener.   ::)

Dachshund:

"Absolutely ridiculous?"
Over the last 20 months my healthcare premium (I am self-employed so this is all part of my costs) has increased 81% to $889 a month because 1) I passed into the above 50 age group 2) 2 other increases on everyone just for the hell of it, one for "administration". Remember, this is premium alone! On a good month with no labs, no additional (non-HIV) illnesses, no temporary drugs, no doctor visits, medical costs are just over $1000. My insurer has a plan with a much higher deductible that would save me thousands of $$$$ a year, only they won't let me have it until my CAL COBRA runs out (18 months coverage after 18 months of Federal COBRA). They use a law designed to protect me to limit my choices! A real education.

Over the last 3 months my insurer withdrew one of my drugs (without notice to me or my MD) for "review" disrupting treatment. After a very time-consuming fight (they reversed themselves at least once) I managed to get my drug back.

I have "above-average" insurance! In fact, the best version (not value, but levels of coverage) my insurer offers. My medical healthcare costs run me $14500 to $16000 a year now. I spend another $1000-3000 out of pocket for dental. My insurer is only interested in lowering whatever costs hurt their profit margin, not improving or preserving my health. I guess that's a good deal? Oh, yeah, the Greatest Nation on Earth.

I don't think any of this warrants the term "horror story". I'll save that term for something yet to come. But I do think the majority who are insured deserve a little more respect from you. Adding 47 million uninsured to an inferior version of what I have will not serve the nation's health very well. I favor a single-payer single-standard system for all, so I am by no means complacent about those worse off than me.  You have only to open any US newspaper to see signs (ie Blue Cross paying bonuses to employees for rescinding coverage for members with cancer.). All of this hurts the economy as well, something we as a nation can ill-afford right now. No matter what angle you look at it There's a scam at work.

8)  -megasept

« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 06:50:58 pm by megasept »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2008, 02:33:26 pm »
But I do think the majority who are insured deserve a little more respect from you.

So you got a raw deal, welcome to the club. You have a chance to change things in November.

However, before you accuse me of insensitivity I'd like you to know I work tirelessly as a volunteer fighting desperately for universal healthcare for all. Including you.

http://www.tenncare.org/

Offline dusty99

« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2008, 03:15:09 pm »
Hmmmm, what can one say. It's such a divisive nation nowadays....

One has to make that personal decision in the voting station for someone who appears most capable and driven to serve the public good to his/her best ability. Leadership brings much responsibility, and service is typically self-sacrifice. It's also a tenet of the American Way, and a privilege that must be honored, admired, and defended.

If the service is military, Police, Fire Dept, I would agree that service is self-sacrifice, let's face it, these folks don't really don't make a lot of money. Military being the least paid of these groups as a whole. Members of the congress and senate hardly are self-sacrificing, as I have stated before, they are abusing the system, they live a life of priviledge, much of what they consume is provided for them, they don't pay for nearly as much as we do. These people are so out of touch with what it takes to live as we as Americans do. I wouldn't honor, admire or defend these people. The Military, Police and Fire, I would and do everyday. I would be more inclined to honor government officials at a local level then the  U.S. congress and senate. the reason is simply that at the Federal level, our government has been subverted and abused beyond recognition I love this country, and spent time defending it, and this is the reason I find the congress and senate contemptable jerk-offs who have completely destroyed this country in the most underhanded and often hidden fashion, while lining their pockets far more than any one of us could ever wish to do.

It was also stated that what I was talking about in regards to term limits on these members being done at the local level, I would agree and really don't care how it's done, we just need to get it done. I do think though that it can also be done at a federal level, but the people of the country have to force the federal government's hand to do so. As I said, I don't care how it gets done, I just see a time where it needs to happen, This happened with the office of the President, why wasn't it done with the congress and senate, what's good for the goose is good for the gander.
17 Mar 08: diagnosed
31 Mar 08 CD4: 565,  30%  VL: 28,900
21 May 08 CD4: 600,  37%  VL: 13,000
25 Oct 08  CD4: 308   34%  VL: 68,000
19 Nov 08 Started Atripla
16 Dec 08  CD4: 580   42% VL: 70
27 Jan 09  CD4: 490   41%  VL: undetectable
24 Mar 09  CD4: 565   42%  VL: undetectable
30 Jun 09  CD4: 615    41% VL: undetectable
25 Sep 09  CD4: 595    47% VL: undetectable

Offline dusty99

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2008, 03:28:25 pm »
But I do think the majority who are insured deserve a little more respect from you.

So you got a raw deal, welcome to the club. You have a chance to change things in November.

However, before you accuse me of insensitivity I'd like you to know I work tirelessly as a volunteer fighting desperately for universal healthcare for all. Including you.

Whatever you are doing to accomplish this, keep going, (I'm sure I don't really need to say it, but I am sure the encouragement does you good) even if you can't get universal healthcare, you will probably effect better changes to the system to help those who couldn't afford it prior, or at least take some of the sting of the cost out. Without action nothing changes.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2008, 05:21:21 pm »
Dusty, please learn how to properly use the "quote" function as it's very difficult to follow your arguments.

Thanks.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline dusty99

« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2008, 05:49:06 pm »
Philly, believe me it frustrates me too, as you can see from my last two posts, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, I have been doing it the same way, each time, however; for some reason it will include itself in the quote and other times it separates, I haven't figured out how to undo it when that happens, there must be some small thing that I must be doing differently and am unaware of for this to happen, eventually I will figure out to undo the inclusion of my comments when I quote. I have tried to edit it to correct it, but have been unable to remember what I did when it did fix it during an edit, and other times it just doesn't do anything. Patience though, I will get the hang of how this site's functions work in that regard. It certainly isn't intentional

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2008, 07:29:35 pm »
. . . for some reason it will include itself in the quote and other times it separates, I haven't figured out how to undo it when that happens, there must be some small thing that I must be doing differently and am unaware of for this to happen, eventually I will figure out to undo the inclusion of my comments when I quote. I have tried to edit it to correct it,

n.b. quoted material starts with a bracket followed by the word quote; it ends with the word quote preceded by a slash embedded within brackets.  Just make sure you go all the way beyond the last bracket and it should work   8)
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2008, 07:56:14 pm »

Add patronizing, to disrespectful. I already know what WE need to do in November, and a bit beyond the election, thanks. Yeah, volunteer. lol.
We all "joined the club" when we seroconverted. It's ONE club, not 2, or 5, or 29. I support Obama because his campaign embodies "United we stand, divided we fall." It's good advice, not rhetoric.

8)  -megasept

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2008, 08:07:51 pm »
Add patronizing, to disrespectful. I already know what WE need to do in November, and a bit beyond the election, thanks. Yeah, volunteer. lol.
We all "joined the club" when we seroconverted. It's ONE club, not 2, or 5, or 29. I support Obama because his campaign embodies "United we stand, divided we fall." It's good advice, not rhetoric.

8)  -megasept

If you think volunteering (lol) to ensure health coverage for all is a joke then I know all I need to know about you. Gasbags who do nothing but complain are a dime a dozen, so save your slogans for someone who gives a shit. I'm not in your club, I have a disease not an excuse. I suggest you terminate your membership and move on.

Oh by the way, I volunteered to work for Obama's campaign long ago. LOL

« Last Edit: June 07, 2008, 08:32:41 pm by Dachshund »

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2008, 03:19:08 am »
If you think volunteering (lol) to ensure health coverage for all is a joke then I know all I need to know about you. Gasbags who do nothing but complain are a dime a dozen, so save your slogans for someone who gives a shit. I'm not in your club, I have a disease not an excuse. I suggest you terminate your membership and move on.

Huh?  ::)

No, I think the idea that anything BUT volunteering in politics is a joke (I started in 1964, and haven't stopped). But you totally missed the point.

Name-calling ist verbotten. You have no right to tell anyone but yourself to leave here. 8) -megasept

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2008, 07:00:58 am »
(I started in 1964, and haven't stopped)

According to your profile you would have been about seven in 1964. Spoken like a true politician, hyperbole and all.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 07:30:13 am by Dachshund »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2008, 08:03:44 am »

Dox, please leave name-calling out of the debate. If you cannot get your point across without resorting to tabloid rhetoric, then don't bother posting in this thread again.

Megasept, I don't think Dox was telling you leave the forum, I think he was referring to the "club" you mentioned earlier.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2008, 08:28:01 am »
Sorry, my meaning was misconstrued. However inarticulately, I was trying to say people need to quit complaining and do something. I know this is off the topic of the thread, but it amazes me how naive (and I'm talking about Americans) folks are when it comes to healthcare in the States. It seems like everyday a thread is started by someone shocked to learn that testing positive doesn't come with guaranteed healthcare coverage. Or that an insurance company either denies you insurance or is so cost prohibitive the normal working stiff can't afford it. I'm sorry folks, but that's the brutal honesty of healthcare in the good ol' U S of A and it ain't gonna get any better. Well, it won't as long as folks only complain when it directly affects them and do nothing else. It's understandable, sadly it's human nature.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2008, 08:34:01 am »
Thank you for explaining yourself, Dox. It did look like you were directing your comments directly at Megasept - but if you were speaking (inarticulately) in general, I'll take your word for it. Please be more careful in future. Thanks again.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2008, 12:18:15 pm »
(I started in 1964, and haven't stopped)

According to your profile you would have been about seven in 1964. Spoken like a true politician, hyperbole and all.

Everyone:

I was 7 in 1964, so holding my Father's hand I went "all the way with LBJ" door-to-door. I wanted to please my Dad at that age. My friends and I radicalized (our Parents generally did not) over the Vietnam War and Civil Rights, and we all changed during 1966-67 (I was nine and ten). We started smoking dope too, end of that decade. In 1967 we organized our own bicycle protest over Vietnam, "Peddle for Peace." I joined the gay movement at 19 (Anita Bryant recruited me). I became a life long trade unionist. No one has ever accused me of sitting on the sidelines. Agitation is part of politics because people need to be angry enough to take action and stick together when the shit hits the fan.

No "hyperbole" from me anyway.  ;)

Ann: Thanks for returning this to a discussion for the sake of all.

8)  -megasept

« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 12:29:50 pm by megasept »

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2008, 12:27:42 pm »
I was chillin' with Mario Savio in 64. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcx9BJRadfw
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 12:39:40 pm by Dachshund »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.