Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:05:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 232
Total: 233

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Risk?  (Read 15060 times)

120Worried

Risk?
« on: July 13, 2006, 11:24:19 pm »
Is this something to be concerned about?

I went to a testing center and my test was administered before the previous person's test was finished. It was a 20-minute Ora-quick blood test. My test was given while they were still waiting on the results of the previous person (that vial was still in the tray).

What concerns me is that I did not see the nurse take out a lancet for my test, one was already on the table. I remember wondering if this was a problem. As it happened, that lancet did not work so she used another one (I saw her remove this from a drawer).

The test came back negative, but I have been worrying that the previous lancet may have possibly left some kind of blood on my finger and my finger was not cleaned again before the use of the second lancet. I think these lancets may be the one-use variety so I am thinking that the first did not work because it was already used. How often do lancets not work for reasons other than they have already been used? Worst-case, if it had already been used and did not puncture my skin, but was placed against it before a new lancet, is that a risk?

Offline john989

• Standard
Re: If there was a re-used Lancet? Is this a risk?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 12:22:20 am »
Zero chance. Zero risk.

Zero.

They don't re-use lancets. No way, no how.

John

120Worried

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 12:35:03 am »
But even if, that would be absurd right? Is it not uncommon for these lancets to not work for reasons other than they have already been used?

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 01:02:13 am »
120worried,

A few things to consider here:

Lancets at testing centers are single use.

Because of the speed of the lancet, it only comes away with the slightest trace of blood, if any.

Within 1 min, should it be infected, the trace blood would degrade and be unable to infect. (We are not talking about hollow bore needles here)

Your concern is way beyond far-fetched.

No risk.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

120Worried

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 01:25:00 am »
Morgan,

Thank you very much for your information. I know that the second lancet did not draw any visible blood on itself when it punctured my finger. This makes sense from what I saw. Since you seem to know something about the process though, would it raise any eyebrows for you if the lancet did not work? Or is that not something that is confined to ones that have already been used?

Thanks again...

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 01:39:07 am »
120Worried,

The only time I have ever known a lancet not to work is when it is single use and has been used.  It's a safety feature.  (That and, of course, if it's used improperly)

You would know this is the case because when trying to use it, you would hear no click from the release and, of course, receive no puncture.

Again, this is a no-risk issue for you.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

120Worried

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 02:04:55 am »
So does that mean that you would expect that lancet to have been used previously? It was over a mintue before the second one was used... Is that good enough for no risk?

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 02:46:57 am »

You're splitting hairs here..... you said the lancet didn't work.  That she got another that did. 

Stop obsessing over this no-risk situation.  No matter how you size it up it's a non-issue.

By indulging this discussion I wanted you to see that the absolute worst case scenario (previously used on hiv pos person) is still no risk for you ten minutes later.

And that's not to say that for one minute I believe that happened.... I don't.  And according to what you've said, it didn't.

Use condoms for penetrative sex and you will avoid hiv infection. 

Cheers,
Morgan
Morgan Landers

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 05:55:51 am »

Sometimes brand-new, previously unused lancets fail to work properly. Just like anything in life, sometimes you get a lemon.

You are hiv negative and here's how to stay that way: You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread and follow the links for more information.

Use condoms and avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

120Worried

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 02:10:48 pm »
Thank you everyone.

120Worried

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 05:48:19 pm »
One quick clarification, if you will allow me just one more question please...

When you said that even in the worst-case scenario there "is still no risk for you ten minutes later," that number was arbitrary right? If I understood you correctly, the amount of material from the scenario I described would be sufficiently decayed after 1 minute so as to pose no risk right? So even, if the WORST CASE in this happened after 5 minutes, your statement would still apply correct?

I know this may seem like splitting hairs (again!) but if you would be willing to help me out one final time, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2006, 07:21:09 pm »

You did not have a risk of hiv infection in what you brought to us. Ten minutes or ten seconds, you didn't have a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

120Worried

Risk?
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2006, 08:45:42 pm »
I was a strip club and the woman allowed me to touch her body while masterbating. At one point she touched the oustide of her vagina and lightly touched my scrotum and legs. I don't know whether or not there was anything on her fingers. Is there any risk associated with this?

Please note that I started an unrelated thread in the past, but when I typed my screenname into the search engine, nothing came up. I apologize that this is not on that other thread.

Thank You.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Risk?
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2006, 08:49:30 pm »
Here is your orginal thread.  http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=1834.0 Please keep all your questions and thoughts in your Orginal Thread.

120Worried

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2006, 10:19:00 pm »
I was a strip club and the woman allowed me to touch her body while masterbating. At one point she touched the oustide of her vagina and lightly touched my scrotum and legs. I don't know whether or not there was anything on her fingers. Is there any risk associated with this?

120Worried

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2006, 12:59:30 am »
Sorry. I posted the question again in the original thread a couple hours ago. Feel free to delete this one and I apologize for the screw-up. Thanks again.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2006, 04:20:17 am »
Worried,

NO. This latest thing you have written about falls under the heading of mutual masturbation and it is NOT a risk for hiv infection by any stretch of the imagination.

Please read through the Transmission Lesson found in the Welcome Thread.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2006, 05:26:15 am »
Worried,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

120Worried

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2006, 09:58:20 pm »
Thanks for that. So I can completely, unequivically, put this behind me right?

Offline Morgan

• You did WHAT??
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2006, 10:01:20 pm »

Yes.

Morgan
Morgan Landers

120Worried

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2006, 12:32:01 am »
Thank you Morgan and Ann. I appreciate your advice. I looked through the lessons section and I wanted to ask you another question. It said "When in doubt test" for one of the sections. Can I take this to mean that this is not even a "doubt" situation. It is 100% non-necessary to test? I didn't see it specifically address the mutual masterbation issue.

As it happened, I don't think there was any fluid on her finger and even if there was, it was only in the vicinity of an area that would be a worry. Thanks again for your advice. I know that these questions are often repepitive.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2006, 12:35:29 am »

This is a 100% non-test situation.

Regards,

MtD

120Worried

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2006, 12:44:36 am »
I thank you for your information.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2006, 12:46:16 am »
You're very welcome.

MtD

120Worried

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2006, 07:07:53 pm »
So is it safe to say that nobody has ever been infected through mutual masterbation? This incident, I wouldn't think, would even justify that label seeing as how she just brushed her her finger in the area.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2006, 05:06:33 am »

Not one person has ever been infected through mutual masturbation and you will not be the first.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.