Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:32:25 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 347
Total: 348

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Bay Cruise, my boat, no cost  (Read 13021 times)

Offline Oceanbeach

Bay Cruise, my boat, no cost
« on: August 30, 2007, 01:22:09 am »
Hi Everyone,

I asked the guy who repaired my boat from "Rudder Rock Syndrome" to Captain for a few hours so we could enjoy gliding across the bay in my sailboat.  Lowell and Gina are really great folks and have agreed to take us out at no charge.

If needed, they say, they can find a larger boat and maybe the cost of fuel. But, I have not yet had fun on my own boat since I got it and after hitting that rock in the Alameda Channel and nearly missing some mega-yachts, I won't do this without a professional to Captain.

Don't know which day or the time of day yet, thought we could figure it out together at Meet and Greet.  I have 6 life jackets, Lowell will bring more if needed.  I have been in touch with one of the Rangers at Alcatraz and private boats are not allowed within 200 yards of the park.  If you want to come with... let me know so I can begin planning.  Have the best day
Michael

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Bay Cruise, my boat, no cost
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 01:25:50 am »
that sounds like fun!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 01:45:04 am »
Now you'll need to pack "cruise wear"
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Robert

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 02:07:39 am »
hey sailor, count me in.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 02:38:48 am »
Now you'll need to pack "cruise wear"

"Cruise wear" is easy... Warm clothes, layers as we discussed in other threads..  If it is 100 degrees in San Francisco, it can be 50 degrees on the bay.  Jeans, sweatshirts, tennis shoes and jacket should be enough.

There is an espresso machine on board but like the fridge and the little TV, it only works while plugged into shore power.  There is a cooker which works on either electricity or alcohol so hot beverages, lunch or whatever can be prepared if wanted.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 09:47:08 am »
Michael

Jus Kiddin is beautiful! What a generous and thoughtful offer too.   I'll stand on the shore and wave goodbye (cue theme from Gilligan's Island) to all of you adventurous souls.  Me?  I'm too much of a scared cat to go out on the water like that.  (I'm such a pansy.)

You guys will have a great time I'm sure.

RAB

Edit to correct spelling of boat

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 10:45:16 am »
I'll wave too. I'm known to puke on barges. But thanks for the offer!

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 12:09:21 pm »
Oh please... just pop some Dramamine.  Seriously it works.  I even survived hurricane force winds with the stuff, though generally I need no medication at all.  I adore the sea.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 12:11:34 pm »
that sounds great...thanks for the offer that is super nice.
I've always wanted to go sailing on the bay.

Rich
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 02:19:40 pm »
Micheal  , that sounds like fun   ..I like sailing and have never been out on the bay.....any day in mind?.....Sat?

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 08:02:29 pm »
Ladies and Gentlemen,

We have a party!  I think Sunday is the best day for our Bay sail.  Jan, Annie BC is working on our AIDS Memorial for Friday morning,  Allan, AllanG is putting our Waterfront Walk together for Saturday morning and Englishgirl is organizing an Alcatraz tour on Saturday afternoon.

Rich, Pozattitude and I are planning on filling our cars with people who wish to see the Redwoods at Muir Woods, Saturday afternoon looks open for that trip and still be back in time for our Social Hour at the hotel.

Saturday night in San Francisco sounds a lot like Pub Crawl to me ;D ;D ;D.  I will be spending the night on the boat in San Rafael and will be sailing in to SF on Sunday morning.  Lowell and Gina live in Richmond Point so it is an easy trip for them.  We will be back in SF for Social Hour at 6:30.

Milker dear- I don't own a barge... those are the really big boats that carry cargo.  There is a bottle of Drama mine in the liquor locker, under the pilot berth.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 09:40:22 pm »
The last time I was in a boat, we were in Fiji.  We were going between islands and the distance could not have been greater than that from Pier 39 to Alacatraz.  What should have been a 20 minute sail took well over an hour and I spent the entire time in the head, puking my guts out. 

Let's see how I feel Sunday morning.  Let's see what the weather is like.  Let's take a look at the waves.  I'm a Colorado boy, born and bred.  I'm a land lubber.

robert 

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2007, 12:38:40 am »
Hey Robert,

Fiji is open sea, has different currents and stronger wind.  We will be near the Golden Gate Bridge and could sail under it and out a ways or stay within the bay.  If the winds are like 5 knots, it will be like taking a motor home through a park.  At 10 knots, sailing for me has been an adventure, there are definate currents going in and out of the bay and of course, the shipping lanes. A 10 knot wind is a good speed for my boat with like 4- 5 people aboard.

The day I bought the boat, the winds were kicking 15 knots, and the dealer asked us to not go out because experienced people were having trouble.  We didn't and good thing...

We also have to look at the Tide Charts because my boat has a 5`draft and I can't get in or out of the San Rafael Harbor at mean low water.  The boats at Port Sonoma and Petaluma Harbors sit on their keels in the mud, standing upright but can't be moved.  Tides go from high to low every two hours but these things must be planned or there is a wait.

Lowell manages the fastest racing sailboat on the bay and owns the boat in the #2 spot.  I think he said he had Seal Training or some Special Forces in a military career.  Ultimately, I know plenty of people who say they can sail but I trust Lowell and he would be happy to teach a little sailing as we go.

I am a boat owner, not a Captain and have a lot of courses to take and complete before actually taking my boat out by myself.  I trust Lowell with my life in nautical issues, boating safety, and such.  I will give him a day and time frame so he can work out the details.  If it is not safe, he won't take us out and we can find something else to do.  Have the best day

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2007, 12:46:34 am »
Milker dear- I don't own a barge... those are the really big boats that carry cargo.  There is a bottle of Drama mine in the liquor locker, under the pilot berth.  Have the best day
Michael
I can do the crossing to Alcatraz. I can't do a sail boat. I'm scared as shit of things that live in the water, Loch Ness monster and such weird water animals, and I puke after 20mn on a boat, whether it's a barge attached to quay, a sail boat, a ferry or a 900 foot cruise ship.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2007, 01:45:19 am »
Hey Milker,

I know what that is like... I can't fly.  When I was little my parents and everyone we knew had airplanes.  I spent more hours in the hangar by age 5 than I did in Elementary School.  My dad used to talk about putting a saddle by the rudder so I would ride outside and building a walkway so I could go out to chank the motor if it stops in flight.  I was terrified.

As a teen I used to visit my cousins and Uncle Jim took us to Mountain View to visit grandparents for lunch. We took off in Gilroy and every minute he was looking for a place to crash land.  We are landing at Mountain View, catch a cross wind and the wing touches the ground.  Another time we were landing in some small town and broke a landing gear.

I get through this, join the Airforce and refuel aircraft.  I spotted something odd on a landing gear, reported to security and it was a plastic explosive.  The last plane I was supposed to refuel before my discharge, crashed during landing and over 100 people were killed.  I got through that.

Then there was a guy I dated in Hawaii.  He had a plane and wanted to fly me and take my picture in flight.  He took a whole roll of Hawaiian sunset photos of me in a barrel roll.  I don't think I got over that.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2007, 05:40:10 am »
Michael,

I'd be thrilled to go on your vessel with everyone else, as long as I can sit there with a beer in my hand and a smile on my face. 

However if the Howell's decide to bring all their Louis Vuitton luggage and wardrobe with them, I'm inclined to stay a landlubber in Martinez.   :D

I do have a car available, so I would be more than happy to crowd in some folks to go to Muir Woods.

Send me a PM and we'll coordinate things.

John

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2007, 08:07:20 am »
Oooo eek oooo! :o I would LOVE to do this...I LOVE boats! I actually had a go at sailing a few years ago (just the once) and it was So Much Fun...I didn't get knocked out by the boom at all...not once! If there's enough room I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to do this!

Michael, thanks to you and your friends for such a generous offer.

Miss Melia :)
(who promises not to puke) 
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2007, 03:22:12 pm »
I used to wonder about the Howells... and Ginger for that matter.  Storage on a boat is so very minimal, they were on a three hour cruise and they had them fancy dresses and unlimited supplies for how many seasons?  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2007, 09:01:20 pm »
Michael,

Thom and I are more than game for this adventure.  Hope there is still room for two more.

See you soon, Ric & Thom

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2007, 11:13:18 pm »
Hey Ric,

There is room for both and probably a few more.  I think we can have about 10- 15 counting a crew of 3 (michael, lowell & gina). Have the best day
Michael

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2007, 11:28:26 pm »
Has anyone heard from Jefferyj lately?  We had been PMing about a bay cruise and he used to crew on a Cal 29 out of Dana Point.  Haven't heard from him in a month or so...  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Robert

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2007, 12:24:39 am »
As I recall, JefferyJ is from Phoenix.  I heard on the news last night that Phoenix just set a record.  Over 30 days of 110'+ hot, swelterin sun this summer.

He's probably withered away.

domini, domini, domini.....

robert

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2007, 04:28:53 am »
Thanx Robert- I found Jeffs arrival and departure times and I know he really wants to sail.

Looks like we are at full capacity.  Our AMG Regatta  ;D will be
Tim ;D
Englishgirl ;D(Robert in charge of Lay Greeting)
Rich ;D
Room for 1 more ;D (Nick is taking early flight out)
John ;D
Miss Melia ;D
Ric & Thom ;D
Jeff ;D (who I'm sure wants to crew)
myself ;D
Lowell ;D and Gina ;D

If another 10 or so folks want to go out, I will talk to Lowell and see if he will take 2 trips in the same day.  I would very easily go out again!  Have the best day
Michael
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 04:36:29 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2007, 12:07:47 pm »
sorry to be a latecomer but is there room for one more please? i meant to post in this the other day but forgot (silly me)
thanks
lots of love
xxx
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2007, 12:12:20 pm »

Philly ;D

Oh, sorry -- I was just gleefully chiming in on the concept.  I won't be at AMG unfortunately.

Offline Robert

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2007, 01:00:55 pm »
englishgirl can take my place.  I can be in charge of the lei greetings upon your return.

robert

Offline englishgirl

• ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2007, 06:33:54 pm »
robert - thanks for the kind offer but if philly isnt going then there is room for both you and i - looks like youre gonna need to find your sea legs after all...
xxx
ACT NOW TO CAMPAIGN AGAINST THE TRAVEL BAN:
http://campaigning.tht.org.uk/cms/cmsloader?WfJVLp&view=11,301,1385,0,-html

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=17352.0

"I'm not keen on the idea of the afterlife - not without knowing who else will be there and what the entertainment will be. Personally I'd rather just take a rest." Oscar Berger, PWA: Looking AIDS in the Face, 1996. RIP.

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2007, 09:24:49 am »
Ooooo wheeeeeee! That is so cool. Thanks again Michael! :-*

I can be in charge of the lei greetings upon your return.

Lei? Or lay? Either spelling, dunno about in the US, but the word 'lay' in British English has a particularly saucy meaning in a certain context. Which could make a 'Lay Greeting' very interesting indeed... :o ;D :D

Miss Melia
(who is :) to see Miss Englishgirl on board...sorry hon, I knew there was summat I forgot to mention... :-*)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2007, 04:57:57 pm »

Lei? Or lay? Either spelling, dunno about in the US, but the word 'lay' in British English has a particularly saucy meaning in a certain context. Which could make a 'Lay Greeting' very interesting indeed... :o ;D :D

Dearest Miss Melia,

Lay greeting has the same context in American and is pronounced the same as in Lei greeting, a Hawaiian American term.  In the old days a visitor was given a flower lei when they arrived in Hawaii and another when they left the islands.  Before air travel, a departing visitor would toss their lei overboard from the ship.  If the Lei washed ashore, it meant the visitor would return to the islands again.  During the years, I lived on Oahu, many of my friends and I overused the term Lei (as in lay) which resulted in putting smiles on the faces of many visiting men.

Our Robert had mentioned finding underware in a his room in Montreal (in an earlier thread).  It seems (somehow appropriate) that he would be in charge of both Lei and Lay greetings.  This relieves me from the pressure of being the only man whore in San Francisco.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Have the best day
Michael
(who believes Victoria Paige will do the dance of the Red Shoes again)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 05:03:41 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2007, 03:47:40 pm »
Hi Everyone,

I just talked to Lowell, we have Sunday the 16th for a sail day.  He and I are going to move the boat from it's San Rafael slip to a South Beach Harbor Guest slip for convenience and to avoid dealing with the tides in San Rafael harbor channel.

This trip is in conflict with the Ferry to Sausalito tour.  This is not a tour where you can go from point A to point B, at scheduled intervals.  This boat is mine and if we want to scoot by the former floating White House, around Treasure Island, Angel Island or Alcatraz Island, or see the new construction of the Bay Bridge, we can do that.  Anyways, I got to go down to charge the batteries and swab the decks.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2007, 06:10:46 pm »
Michael,
I grew up on Pacemakers, CristCrafts, and Matthews'. I would be so honored to fare on your cruise.
Sorry to be a "johnny come lately", but I have visions of my child/teen hood fishing off the Sister Islands of Lake Erie.
I am happy to monitor the bilge, and ballast, as well as keel through tricky waters with an oscilloscope.
Will the boat have a depth sonar, or depth finder?
Golly, I was raised up on fishing around the Sister Islands of Lake Erie. I recall happy parties of scaling, and filleting perch destined for beer batter frying, and ears of corn. I will be so willing to present a  cornucopia of beach delights, with your help, and guidance.
Just say the word.
As far as I'm concerned, this will be a celebration unsurpassed.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 06:12:40 pm by Lisa »
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Oceanbeach

Re: Bay Cruise, my boat, no cost (update, Slip Assignment)
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2007, 07:13:34 pm »
Dear Lisa,

I spoke with Lowell (our Captain for the day) and Gina (First Mate) will be working on Sunday and will not be able to join us.  Also since it is Sunday AM, a lot of our friends will be out on the town on Saturday night and may not feel like keel hauling the yardarms after a night of adult beveraging.  I think we can find a place for you too.  Lowell and I will be moving the boat to South Beach Harbor, Pier 40 on Friday after AIDS Memorial and before Meet and Greet.  The slip assignment is B-7 for Friday and Saturday nights.  I check the Alcatraz thread every day because it is  conflicting time for the  Muir Woods car trip on Saturday and my Bay Sail trip is conflicting with the Ferry Tour to Sausalito.  Have the best day
Michael
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 07:16:58 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2007, 07:30:59 pm »
Hi Everyone,

At the moment, our tour guests are
Tim (Thunter)
Rich (Pozattitude)
JohnOso
Miss Melia
Englishgirl
Lisa
Ric & Thom
JefferyJ

I am moving the boat from San Rafael to Embarcadero Pier 40, Slip B-7 on Friday.  This should be easy access from the hotel.  How does a 10:30 departure on Sunday sound?  Have the best day
Michael

Offline allanq

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2007, 11:03:20 pm »
Just remember that Pier 40 is not anywhere near Pier 39. The odd-numbered piers are north of the Ferry Building. The even-numbered piers are to the south.

Pier 40 is near the Giants' ballpark (AT&T Stadium).

Allan

Offline Ric Wilke

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2007, 11:41:18 pm »
Hey Michael,

Is Lowell still the skipper for this event?  Or are both he and Gina both unavailable?

R

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2007, 11:57:00 pm »
Hey Ric,

Lowell is still skipper... Gina is not able to attend.  She has to work that day.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Ric Wilke

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2007, 12:30:03 am »
Great Man,

We are so looking forward to this experience.

Hugs, R

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.