Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:24:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 208
Total: 208

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: When the diagnosis is scary  (Read 4727 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
When the diagnosis is scary
« on: January 14, 2007, 11:20:40 am »
When the Diagnosis is Scary---By Jessie Gruman,

This article appeared today in the Parade section of the Sunday Newspaper. I thought it was a pretty good article. There is certanly information here that applies to all.

EDITED 1/16/07   This article became available online today (Tuesday) You can click on the link below, to read entire article.

http://www.parade.com/articles/editions/2007/edition_01-14-2007/Diagnosis

I am only able to give bits and pieces of it:

When The Diagnosis Gets Scary :

The first 48 hours after you or a loved one receives a serious diagnosis can be terrifying. Receiving bad health news sparks great personal upheaval. Some people rage against the unfairness while others wither from sadness.  Some people lose their faith, and others find it.  Some are torn between their fear of pain and their fear of death.  Families are wracked by the threat of loss.  It is a time, when nothing is certain, and the future looks dark.

But no matter how devastating the diagnosis, critical actions must be taken in the short window of time following it.  Among them : Learning about the conditon and it's treatments, deciding whether to involve others, finding the right doctors and hospitals seeking others opinions about what is wrong and what to do about it, managing ones work life, paying for care, and finding relief. But first you have to deal with the initial shock.

PROTECT YOURSELF :

This is a crisis. Treat it as one. Don't try to go on ,as if nothing is happenning to you. Stay home from work at least 48 hours--and cancel your your social engagements, until your feet are back under you. If you exercise, keep it up--if you feel like it. If you don't exercise regularly but feel closed in or agitated, go for a walk. If nothing else,it will remind you that the world is carrying on in spite of your news. Eat--even if you are not hungry; you don't need a hunger headache. Breath.

EDUCATE YOURSELF :

During the first days, stop reseaching your diagnosis on line if it is confusing or frightening, unless you have an acute emergency, you have some time to collect and digest that information.

But over the next few weeks, you WILL need to learn about your condition, it's probable course and how to manage its progression. Some people prefer to know only the basics, others want comprehensive knowledge.

These are some of the questions you should ask :

1. How does this disease or condition affect the body ?

2. What causes this condition to progress or get worse?

3. What tests and and procedures are commonly used to determine the course of treatment?

4. What effect does each treatment have, generally? Does it slow down its progression? How much?

5. What complications and side effects are common and uncommon- with each treatment.

Once you know the answers to those questions, discuss with your doctor how this condition affects you specifically, and the best ways to treat it, given your age, sex, and medical history.

Designate a partner :

Designationg a partner is a good idea, because the distress of receiving a serious diagnosis can affect your ability to listen and to understand unfamiar, tecnical information; a partner can write it down to be revisited later.

Its hard to question or disagree with a doctor, who seems to hold your life in his or her hands; a partner can request clarification and ask hard questions. Having someone do this, steadies the person who is ill and makes him or her feel less isolated.

This was just part of the article in the Parade Section of todays ( Sundays ) newspaper.

Ray
« Last Edit: January 16, 2007, 06:37:17 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline bear60

Re: When the diagnosis is scary
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 11:22:52 am »
Ray....You beat me to it.  I just finished reading that and of course thought about the conversations on AIDSMEDS. So, thanks for posting it!
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Christine

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 11:48:42 am »
Hi Ray,
Thanks for posting the article. It was good, and accurate.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 02:02:25 pm »
Thanks Ray!

Offline Blixer

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2007, 02:03:46 pm »
Those of us who have been there can sure identify with what the article has to say.  I recall my diagnosis just over a year ago.  I did fine the first few hours.  Then I was a wreck.  But I found some discussion forums (ultimately this one) and it made a big difference.
David
Diagnosed 1/9/06
8/27/2007 CD4 598, 29%, VL 58 (72 wks)
11/19/2007 CD4 609, 30%, VL < 50 (84 wks)
2/11/2008 CD4 439, 27%, VL <50 (96 wks)
5/5/2008 CD4 535, 28%, VL <50 (108 wks)
10/20/2008 CD4 680, 28%, VL <50 (132 wks)
Changed to Atripla in 2012
1/14/2013 CD4 855, 35%, VL <40

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 07:41:04 pm »
Thanks Ray!

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2007, 10:40:08 am »
I'd like to say thank you too, and also vote this post to be stickied! It would be great for the newly inducted to have this advice as a guide.
Good job Ray.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline JPinLA

• Cheers!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2007, 12:45:55 pm »
I agree with Lisa..it's a great article and culd be very helpful for the new folk (like me!).

Thank you!

JP
11/06 - Diagnosed - VL/5784 & CD4 326
2/07 - VL/6000 & CD4 290 2/07
3//07 -Began Truvada/Viramune 
4/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 320 22%
7/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 286 22%
11/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 302 26%

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 01:24:11 pm »
Bump!

Some sound advice here Ray. Well spotted!
Maybe this could be copied and stickied in I Just Tested Poz forum too...?

Melia
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline swede_dish

• I feel like an angel baby wrapped in a candy cloud
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2007, 01:32:53 pm »
Meli...I was JUST typing that when I looked up and saw you did! =)
"I married a German. Every night I dress up as Poland and he invades me. "
-Bette Midler

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2007, 01:34:51 pm »
Meli...I was JUST typing that when I looked up and saw you did! =)

Ssshhpoooooky!!! ;D
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.