Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 30, 2024, 04:47:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772965
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 192
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 159
Total: 159

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pancreatitis and Weight Loss  (Read 7769 times)

Offline safford

Pancreatitis and Weight Loss
« on: December 15, 2006, 08:53:58 pm »
hi all--

i recently suffered a painful bout of pancreatitis this summer with subsequenr (less severe) flareups. The doctor believes it was caused by TMC 114 (Prezista).  I have lost a good amount of weight and am having trouble finding the right foods to eat.  I know I need a high calorie diet for the weight issues, but was told to stay away from fat as it irritates the pancreas.   Most high calorie foods also seem to have a high fat content.

Many thanks,
Paul

Offline gerry

• Joined AM Feb 2003
Re: Pancreatitis and Weight Loss
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 12:04:29 pm »
Hello,

Are you, by chance, taking pancreatic enzyme capsules (by prescription only, such as Pancrease) to help with digesting food and perhaps ease the strain on your pancreas?  It might help a bit with your dilemma.  Just a thought.

Gerry

Offline safford

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 04:58:54 pm »
hi --

thanks for the tip. no, i am not taking pancrease but wil be seeing my dr next month and will ask him about it.  do you know by any chance what foods might be high calorie and low fat?

Offline water duck

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 05:53:38 pm »
Hi Paul,

Try checking http://www.thefruitpages.com/contents.shtml

Am wondering if anyone had asked you to stay away from all dairy products ??
Suggested more boiled vegetables and fruits ??

Siang

Offline Gary

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 06:54:43 pm »
Hi Paul, I also suffer from pancreatitis.  I agree with Gerry regarding the pancreatic enzyme suppliments. I take them with most meals, the brand I'm on is called Creon and it has helped me get back to my normal weight, I lost half my body weight after my first attack of acute pancreatitis.

I remember when I was recovering it was hard to force myself to eat, but a little and often did the trick.  I tried to incorporate lots of milk, milkshakes or protien shakes between meals and gradually could manage to eat more and more.

High triglycerides can cause problems with the pancreas so my doctor advised me to get my levels down, I did this quite quickly over about 2-3 months by cutting right down on my refined sugar intake.  I only drink diet drinks and chocolate/sweets are a treat of maybe once a week, apart from that I can eat pretty much what I like, oh and I have sadly had to give up alcohol totally as it's the pancreas's worst enemy. Nicotene is also a pancreatic irritant.

When I was stick thin and desperate to gain weight I had scrambled eggs every day for breakfast and ate a lot of pasta, bread and fruit cake (maybe the cake should be in moderation due to the sugar).  I've not been too worried about my fat intake but I try to avoid saturated fats.
Hope you feel better soon  :o

Offline safford

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 11:29:21 am »
thanks for your support and kind words.  I feel best between 165-170, i am now floating between 145-155. it is depressing but my appetitie is good, I just need to find those foods i can tolerate and are weight gaining.

i might try the shakes as you suggested. 

cheers,
Paul

Offline Gary

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 01:56:30 pm »
Just one more thing,
My doc has me on some antioxidant vitamins he thinks should help my pancreas (Selenium ACE), when he suggested them I thought to myself 'is a vitamin the best you can do for me'  but I've been really surprised.

It could just be that my pancreas has settled down but the vitamins could have helped too, I'd recommend it as it seems to have worked for me.  ;D

Offline safford

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 02:27:35 pm »
how much selenium ACE do you take? is selenium ACE the same as regular selenium supplements?

Offline Gary

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 06:38:30 pm »
Hi,
the selenium ACE vitamins I take contain the following, and I take one pill a day:
Vitamin A 450 microgram
Vitamin C   90 mg
Vitamin E 100 microgram
Selenium 100 microgram

I did take some selenium tablets when my normal pills ran out, they were 200 microgram and didn't contain any other nutrients.  Like I say, the above pills seem to have helped, check it out with your Doc, you may have similar luck and at very least it'll do you no harm.
Gary  :P

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.