Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:48:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 314
Total: 316

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Looking at our three choices  (Read 22548 times)

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Looking at our three choices
« on: October 23, 2010, 02:09:32 am »
Just a few thoughts regarding our three possibilities for AMG 2011:

Travel -

A quick perusal of the available air fares and train fares show both Seattle and New Orleans would be affordable for me.

It would cost between $330 and $370 to fly (on Southwest) should I choose that route, or $390 to $425 to travel the more esoterically pleasing method of rail. Those prices are round trip and the cheapest available fare in each category.

Santa Fe is only a three-hour drive away, so it would cost me approximately $40 for gas, round trip.

Weather -

According to its tourism site, Seattle gets rain about 50 percent of the time, no matter when you go.

The New Orleans site states it has a humid, sub-tropical climate.

Santa Fe is relatively warm in the summer and early autumn, with daytime temps in mid 90s common. But, although it sounds cliche', its a dry heat. The average humidity level is somewhere between 12 and 20 percent.
This, however, does not include monsoon season, when brief afternoon showers can raise the humidity for a few hours,
But, usually, the evenings are blissfully pleasant and delightfully cool.

Travel -

Both New Orleans and Seattle have direct air and train access, so no problems there.

Santa Fe does not have direct air or Amtrak access. One has to travel to Albuquerque to get there. But, there is the popular Railrunner commuter train that travels between the Duke City and the City Different.

Things to do -

Yep, plenty to do whichever location is chosen.

I'm in a quandry. I think all of them are good locations.

Hmmmm, which to choose?

I'll have to think on it.

HUGS,

Mark

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
Re: Looking at our three choices
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 09:25:42 am »
Hey Mark:

Great post - perhaps, you could see if Ann or another mod could move it over to the AM Gatherings topic area and people could use your post as a template to offer their comments (pros/cons, etc.) about the locations up for vote.

If you think that is appropriate and cool (and if the mods agree) - could you request that it be moved over that way - and may find a way to have it placed right under the 2011 AMG Final Vote thread....  just a thought.

Thanks!
-Phil
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 10:15:43 am »
perhaps, you could see if Ann or another mod could move it over to the AM Gatherings topic area

Dur, it's already there! :D

But good idea to stickie it (for now) so it stays in the top two threads in the AMG forum.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 10:22:36 am »
Mark, while I haven't looked into airfare yet (too scared. I've got to get off the Rock, then probably from London or Manchester to NYC and on to which ever of the three tops the vote... that's gotta be a fair amount of dosh. :-\ ) I have given some thought to the other main issue.

Weather - Everything I've read about going to New Orleans says that only mad dogs and Englishmen visit NO in August. I may live kinda-sorta in the UK, but English I ain't. I'm not a mad dog either, despite what some may say.

I've lived in a temperate climate for too long now to subject myself to the heat and more importantly, the humidity of NO in August. I'd probably spend most of my time prostrate and not in a good way.

I'd love to see all three places, but if the AMG is gonna happen in August, I'd have to go for one of the other two places.

Which brings up an important point. Maybe it would be best to hash out the timing of the event before we settle on the location. It's very relevant this year.

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 10:40:33 am »
Dur, it's already there! :D

But good idea to stickie it (for now) so it stays in the top two threads in the AMG forum.
I realized afterwards that it was already there  - LOL
That's what I get for falling asleep early last night and waking up at 4:30 A.M. and taking my Atripla (about 5 hours late) - just a wee bit of woozy - but kind of a nice little woozy - I may be onto something here  :o
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 10:48:31 am »
Which brings up an important point. Maybe it would be best to hash out the timing of the event before we settle on the location. It's very relevant this year.
I think the two go so hand and hand this year Ann -- one might be okay with New Orleans in October, but not in August; while another may okay with Seattle in August, but not in September ---

I'm hoping that by having people pick a location and suggest a time of year that it leads us into a location selection with a finalization of the appropriate time of year to follow immediately after. 

I think if we just have a time of year vote (without consideration of time of year) it might automatically eliminate a location.  Example: if majority votes to have it in August - it would probably eliminate any consideration of New Orleans; however, if New Orleans is the primary selection of members, then time of year discussion could be held ---  Although, I think considering both at the same time, probably works best.... I am actually tracking the voting by location and month (OCD has kicked into full gear - lol)
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 12:29:06 pm »
Just a few thoughts regarding our three possibilities for AMG 2011:

Weather -

According to its tourism site, Seattle gets rain about 50 percent of the time, no matter when you go.

Hi Mark

Don't be worried about the rain.  While Seattle does have a reputation for lots of rain, Chicago actually gets more rainfall annually.
I lived in Seattle for many many years and I can tell you that August is typically a good month to visit.

Everyone:

I've never been to NO and would love to go, just not in August.  If we move away from August then we'll be excluding several members due to school issues.  The Davids, Bonnie, RazorBill, Odyssey, Hippie Lady to name a few.
I'd be disappointed if that happened, so that's why I selected Seattle in August.

Mark, while I haven't looked into airfare yet (too scared. I've got to get off the Rock, then probably from London or Manchester to NYC and on to which ever of the three tops the vote... that's gotta be a fair amount of dosh. :-\ ) I have given some thought to the other main issue.

Hi Ann:

BA has a direct flight from London to Seattle (Not sure about Santa Fe or NO) so you wouldn't have to connect in NYC.  Also there's a certain someone here who might be able to get you a discounted ticket on BA  (cough).

RAB   ;D

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 01:13:11 pm »
I vote Seattle and would make every effort to get there!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 01:21:08 pm »
BA has a direct flight from London to Seattle (Not sure about Santa Fe or NO) so you wouldn't have to connect in NYC.  Also there's a certain someone here who might be able to get you a discounted ticket on BA  (cough).

~cough~ Wonder who that might be? ;D

I think I'd lean more towards Santa Fe, because where I live gets as much or more rain than Seattle and I could do without more rain in my life and the climate is pretty much the same. I wouldn't mind soaking up some of that dry NM heat. But either is fine with me because after all, it's not so much about the location, is it.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 01:27:00 pm »
I vote Seattle and would make every effort to get there!

Em, you need to post that in the official vote thread. This thread is just for discussing the pros and cons of the three short-listed sites. ;)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline leese43

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 02:13:59 pm »
I've just had a look at flights on Expedia. London to Seattle in August are coming in at around £750 ($1,200). Looking at prices for New Orleans for end Sept next (Oct prices not out) they're approx £500 ($800). August is always a very expensive month to travel overseas, I expect hotel rooms will be a higher price too.

Leese
Oct 04 - Neg
Aug 05 - infected
Oct 05 - cd4 780, vl 60k
Apr 08 - cd4 430, vl 243
Jul 08 - cd4 550, vl 896
Nov 08 - cd4 730, vl 1.8k
May 09 - cd4 590, vl 1.5k
Sep 09 - cd4 460 vl 34k
Dec 09 - cd4 470 vl 42k
April 10 - cd4 430 vl 88.5k
July 10 - cd4 330 vl 118k
Aug 10 - started reyataz/truvada/norvir
Aug 10 - cd4 380 vl 4k (12 days after starting meds :))
Sep 10 - cd4 520 vl 1.5k
Oct 10 - cd4 590 vl 44
Jan 11 -cd4 610 vl <40 cd4% 50
May 11 - cd4 780 vl UD

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 02:20:35 pm »
I definitely think that cost will be an issue to many people both in the States and overseas - I am hoping to have a "robust" (how do we like that word?) - Grants Committee to be able to assist and ensure that as many people as possible are able to attend this year's AMG - whereever it may be held and wherever they may be journeying from....

We should actually start the Grant Committee A.S.A.P.  Ann has provided me with some preliminary info about how it functions - if any other members who are familiar with its operation want to PM me, that would be greatly appreciated.  I also have put a call in to Dennis (last year's coordinator of the unofficial gathering) -

We are going to do our best (and by "we" I am hoping to mean everyone who participates in these Forums and wants to attend or wants to see others attend AMG) to make sure that this is an AMG to be long remembered with as much accessibility as possible to all who want to participate.  YES WE CAN!  AND, YES WE WILL! (If anyone can make it happen, it is us!).

-Phil
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 02:41:08 pm »
If I were going to Seattle and had the means to travel by air or rail, the Coast Starlight links the greatest cities of the West Coast with daily trips, the Coast Starlight passes through Portland, Sacramento, San Francisco and Santa Barbara with views of the Cascade Mountain peaks, Mount Shasta, lush forests, fertile valleys and long stretches of Pacific Ocean Shoreline.

The dining car offers fresh cuisine served on real china with table linens, the arcade room has a selection of video games, and sandwiches, sodas, beer and wine.  There is also a specialty coffee bar and an onboard movie theater.

Sleeping car passengers receive a gift basket w/ soaps, shampoos & lotions, as well as free wi-fi, inboard internet access, complementary meals in the dining car or the parlour car.  For a fee, there is daily tasting of artisan cheeses and local wines.  In a partnership with 2 national parks a group of passengers can enjoy the great outdoors with hiking and education.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 02:54:41 pm »
Another thing I've been thinking about:

The memorial service.

If Seattle were to be selected I think this would be a strong possible site:

http://www.seattle.gov/parks/park_detail.asp?ID=3102

http://www.calandersonpark.org/calAnderson.cfm

Cal was a personal friend, a fierce and forward looking advocate for all.  Unfortunately he lost his battle to AIDS in 1995.

Just a thought.

RAB   ;D

Offline aztecan

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2010, 04:09:01 pm »
If I were going to Seattle and had the means to travel by air or rail, the Coast Starlight links the greatest cities of the West Coast with daily trips, the Coast Starlight passes through Portland, Sacramento, San Francisco and Santa Barbara with views of the Cascade Mountain peaks, Mount Shasta, lush forests, fertile valleys and long stretches of Pacific Ocean Shoreline.

I was looking at that. I could hop on the Southwest Chief, hop off a L.A., hop on the Starlight, and cruise on up the coast to Seattle.

It isn't that I am afraid to fly, I think the last time I flew was to Mexico City.

But I just don't enjoy it and I have come to the conclusion that the journey is half the fun, or it should be.

I also share others' concerns regarding N.O. in August. If it were going to be later in the year, then it sounds like a fun trip.

Seattle or Santa Fe sound like viable choices if the dates are kept in August to allow those members with school commitments to attend.

I am still undecided though.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 02:26:25 am by aztecan »

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 04:50:04 pm »
As a consideration, should we also look at the politics of the areas we are going to be funneling our money into? For example, their funding of HIV/AIDS program, HiV criminalization if any, GLBT rights issues, etc. I just think it makes sense to be spending our group funds in a location that would support us in return.
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 05:02:01 pm »
As a consideration, should we also look at the politics of the areas we are going to be funneling our money into? For example, their funding of HIV/AIDS program, HiV criminalization if any, GLBT rights issues, etc. I just think it makes sense to be spending our group funds in a location that would support us in return.
Well, dayummm, that might just eliminate most of the United States - and a lot of the other parts of the world.  (LOL)
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 05:24:07 pm »
I was looking at that. I could hop on the Southwest Chief, hop off a L.A., hop on the Starlight, and cruise on up the coast to Seattle.
the journey is half the fun, or it should be.

I have taken the Coast Starlight a few times between Los Angeles and San Francisco over the years and it is quite a delightful trip, you can visit any of the cities and 2 national parks enroute.  I have taken the AMTRAK Rail/bus trip from Union Station to Monterey which costs less but is no frills.  The first length of that trip was by bus from Union Station to Fresno, it was over sold and I stood for 2 hours.  The food was served in paper and the entire excursion was lacking the party atmosphere of the Coast Starlight.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2010, 06:32:46 pm »
I've never been to NO and would love to go, just not in August.  If we move away from August then we'll be excluding several members due to school issues.  The Davids, Bonnie, RazorBill, Odyssey, Hippie Lady to name a few.
I'd be disappointed if that happened, so that's why I selected Seattle in August.

RAB   ;D

Excellent point RAB, something would be lost if those people were unable to attend, especailly the D's and Bonnie : )

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 10:41:50 pm »
Anyone care to chime in as to what there is to do in Seattle? I've been to Redmond many times on business but never really explored Seattle-proper.

New Orleans, on the other hand, is quite the party town and has some amazing sites and tours and, of course, a casino  8)

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 11:02:56 pm »
Anyone care to chime in as to what there is to do in Seattle? I've been to Redmond many times on business but never really explored Seattle-proper.

New Orleans, on the other hand, is quite the party town and has some amazing sites and tours and, of course, a casino  8)
New Orleans has the casinos and the French Quarter -
Seattle has the Space Penis err Needle, Mt. St. Helen's, a great downtown area, I don't know about casinos....
One thing is sure - no matter what the location is - Ann hit it right on the head - it is more about the people and the companionship --- I'd be happy no matter where it was held - except for maybe Boise... but other than that...  ;D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 11:10:28 pm by phildinftlaudy »
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2010, 11:06:35 pm »
Don't forget the Garden District and the amazing cajun food in Nawlins... ::)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2010, 01:26:37 am »
Don't forget the Garden District and the amazing cajun food in Nawlins... ::)

Jambalaya, Gumbo, Etouffee, Beignets, Poboys, Grits & Grillades, etc. etc. etc.  The food and culture of New Orleans is literally unmatched in the US.  The scenery can be beautiful depending on where you go, but touring isn't really my cup of tea.  I wouldn't mind going to Seattle although I have to admit I don't really have any interest in going to Santa Fe.

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2010, 01:35:52 am »
While Seattle is my first choice, Sante Fe is delightful.  Very walkable town, lots of culture, atmosphere, tremendous restaurants in about every price range, liberal minded-supportive town.  The hard part will be getting there from Albuquerque, but we would figure all that out.

I always have a place in my heart for New Orleans.  It is almost impossible to not have a great, if not scandalous, time there!  If we stick to August however, we run the risk of a weather event, or at least, oppressive heat and humidity.

All three choices are wonderful this year.  Having just returned from my first visit to Seattle a few weeks ago, I was quite surprised by its modern feel, wonderful mass transit, tons of green space, fabulous eating and drinking options.

In the end, as others have said, AMG is about the people.  I have had a wonderful time every time...even if we go to Fargo (many years ago I had a surprisingly scandalous time there!) I will enjoy being with the other AMG folk.

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2010, 09:31:39 am »
New Orleans has the casinos and the French Quarter -
Seattle has the Space Penis err Needle, Mt. St. Helen's, a great downtown area, I don't know about casinos....
One thing is sure - no matter what the location is - Ann hit it right on the head - it is more about the people and the companionship --- I'd be happy no matter where it was held - except for maybe Boise... but other than that...  ;D

Mt. St. Helen's is in Southern WA so probably a wee bit too far.  In addition to the Space Needle (Seattle Center), there's Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square (underground tour), the Japanese Gardens, the arboretum, the ferry's across Puget Sound, the fairies all around,  ;), Capitol Hill,  Lake Washington, China Town,  and so many more things I just can't remember right now (only had half a cup of coffee).  Hotels can be expensive in August though.

Gary's right though, the people are the best part of AMG and whichever location is selected it's sure to be a good time.

RAB   ;D

Offline Dennis

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 09:50:26 am »
Mt. St. Helen's is in Southern WA so probably a wee bit too far.  In addition to the Space Needle (Seattle Center), there's Pike Place Market, Pioneer Square (underground tour), the Japanese Gardens, the arboretum, the ferry's across Puget Sound, the fairies all around,  ;), Capitol Hill,  Lake Washington, China Town,  and so many more things I just can't remember right now (only had half a cup of coffee).  Hotels can be expensive in August though.Gary's right though, the people are the best part of AMG and whichever location is selected it's sure to be a good time.

RAB   ;D

A preliminary search showed hotels ranging from $89 per night with basic amenities, and a few around $150 that are full-service.  All were within 1 mile from the Sapce Needle.

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 06:41:58 pm »
Jambalaya, Gumbo, Etouffee, Beignets, Poboys, Grits & Grillades, etc. etc. etc. 

yum, yum!

Gary's right though, the people are the best part of AMG and whichever location is selected it's sure to be a good time.
RAB   ;D

I'm really looking forward to meeting some of the "characters" out here!  8)

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2010, 12:31:55 pm »

Nice photo album of one of my favorite cities.

RAB   ;D

Edit to remove link cause I suspect it may be viral
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 01:53:47 am by RAB »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2010, 01:27:07 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oRVwciEfbY&NR=1

Nice photo album of one of my favorite cities.

RAB   ;D

Gorgeous! I love it!  But I'm NOT jumping off the Space Needle, no way no how.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2010, 08:43:47 pm »

-Will
Something tells me that you have jumped on off bigger things Will ;D
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Basquo

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 08:51:17 pm »

-Will

WHAT?!! Space Needle has jumping?? I'm totally in for THAT!

but in case not, I'll just say that I saw most of what RAB described. Fabulous. It was 31 years ago. The main takeaway was getting away from my family, under the supervision of another family, and taking a nighttime cruise on Puget Sound with this girl that I was "going with" (for the duration of the vacation.) We got back downtown close to midnight and I saw my first hookers. They were in bikinis when it was 50 degrees and I thought they must be really hard workers. It was 1979, so they were probably warm with coke.

Must see: the Salmon Windows.

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 10:48:47 pm »
As it seems that Santa Fe is not getting much notice, I'd like to say that it's very easy to get there from Albuquerque, a train trip of one hour on a brand new train called the Rail Runner. It also is on the Amtrak line with a shuttle that brings folks into town as the train stop is a bit out of town. It is very multicultural with wonderful restaurants and museums and lot's of hotels and B&B's and the downtown area is very walkable. It also has a very large gay and HIV population. Summer is fantastic though July is a bit cheaper than August. Summer has a world famous Opera and Chamber Music festival if that's your thing. There is some rain with the occasional thunderstorm and NO humidity. All things to consider if you'd like  :D

Thanks for letting me share !

by the way, Santa Fe is my first pick  ;)

Offline phildinftlaudy

« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 10:52:09 pm »
As it seems that Santa Fe is not getting much notice, I'd like to say that it's very easy to get there from Albuquerque, a train trip of one hour on a brand new train called the Rail Runner. It also is on the Amtrak line with a shuttle that brings folks into town as the train stop is a bit out of town. It is very multicultural with wonderful restaurants and museums and lot's of hotels and B&B's and the downtown area is very walkable. It also has a very large gay and HIV population. Summer is fantastic though July is a bit cheaper than August. Summer has a world famous Opera and Chamber Music festival if that's your thing. There is some rain with the occasional thunderstorm and NO humidity. All things to consider if you'd like  :D

Thanks for letting me share !

by the way, Santa Fe is my first pick  ;)
Hey Oz, if you haven't put your vote on the Final Vote thread on AM Gatherings make sure you do...
Labs:
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2010, 11:07:36 pm »
I hope AMG 2012 will be a Foreskin Festival in San Juan -- I'll give the tours.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2010, 11:08:47 pm »
San Juan would be awesome!

Offline aztecan

« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2010, 12:52:18 am »
I also posted this in the more information thread buy mistake.

I have narrowed my decision to two, either Seattle or New Orleans.

I have been to Santa Fe many times and wouldn't mind an AMG there, but, I would prefer going someplace I haven't been before.

I once visited New Orleans - for a day one January with two tea totaling young women who were not much fun, so I don't count that as a real visit.

I have never been to Seattle.

On the travel front, it would be easier to travel to Seattle by train, which I would prefer. I could fly, but would prefer not to if I don't have to.

But I would also love to see New Orleans.

Time of year would be important though. I have been to St Louis in the summer. If New Orleans is anything like that, it could be problematic.

I will make up my mind shortly.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2010, 10:11:42 am »
I have never been to Seattle.

On the travel front, it would be easier to travel to Seattle by train, which I would prefer. I could fly, but would prefer not to if I don't have to.

HUGS,

Mark

Aztecan if Seattle is selected and if you do opt for the train, you simply must add a day or two to stop here and then we can proceed on up to Seattle on the train.

RAB 

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2010, 10:47:56 am »
Having just returned to the Forums and unsure of my vacation plans for next summer (I always take a week or so the first part of June to participate in AIDS LIFECYLCE so not sure how i want to use the rest of my vacation time) I am not going to vote.  However, if it were held in Seattle I would certainly be interested in attending.  Have always wanted to take the train from Chicago to Seattle with a couple day stop at Glacier national Park.  If it's Seattle  Mark, I will have to hit you up for info on train travel, would be my first trip since kindergarten - when engines ran on steam.
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline David_CA

« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2010, 11:15:49 am »
Having just returned to the Forums and unsure of my vacation plans for next summer (I always take a week or so the first part of June to participate in AIDS LIFECYLCE so not sure how i want to use the rest of my vacation time) I am not going to vote.  However, if it were held in Seattle I would certainly be interested in attending.  Have always wanted to take the train from Chicago to Seattle with a couple day stop at Glacier national Park.  If it's Seattle  Mark, I will have to hit you up for info on train travel, would be my first trip since kindergarten - when engines ran on steam.

I'd recommend going ahead and voting; people who've not attended have voted in the past.  It's always good to see a new face at an AMG. 
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2010, 03:16:43 pm »
I'd recommend going ahead and voting; people who've not attended have voted in the past.
that's exactly right. ;) ;D I, like others, always vote though I have never attended. The year my vote helps get it close enough that I can attend will be the year that I do attend. If I never voted, I bet I could guarantee that AMG would never make it close to Charlotte or Cleveland. LOL :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline David_CA

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2010, 10:37:52 am »
that's exactly right. ;) ;D I, like others, always vote though I have never attended. The year my vote helps get it close enough that I can attend will be the year that I do attend. If I never voted, I bet I could guarantee that AMG would never make it close to Charlotte or Cleveland. LOL :D

I'm not sure I'd actually want it too close to Charlotte or Cleveland!   ;)
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2010, 10:43:52 am »
I'm not sure I'd actually want it too close to Charlotte or Cleveland!   ;)

What's there to do in Charlotte anyway?  Go to Carowinds and then look at bank buildings downtown later?

I'll take Wilmington over that :) at least there are lovely beaches.  Actually for my money you can't beat the beaches in NC.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2010, 12:43:38 pm »

Time of year would be important though. I have been to St Louis in the summer. If New Orleans is anything like that, it could be problematic.

`

It's worse

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.