Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:35:24 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 641
Total: 641

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: CD4'S  (Read 4843 times)

Offline sorryass

CD4'S
« on: March 28, 2011, 10:57:08 pm »
Hey folks,

This may seem strange, but I do not know what CD4'S stand for.  I do know they stand for a cell count in our blood.  The higher, the better.  But  that is all I know.  I pretty much leave my health to the professionals, and they seem to have done a good job for me so far.  My only real problem is the neropathy in my hands and feet.
             Today I met my new GP.  She had ordered up a whole range of tests, before we had actually  met!   I think we will be getting along fine.  She was impressed that my CD4's were 740.   So was I ! LOL ! She said that basically, seeing as my viral load was also undetectable, my blood would be "pretty much"  harmless, if someone were to come into contact with it.  Anyone have any thoughts on that?         
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 03:04:46 pm by sorryass »
Once a gardener,...............er!

*Ritonavir 100mg 2-Day
*Etravirine 100mg 2-Day
*Raltegravir 400mg 2-Day
*Prezista 600mg 2-Day

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
Re: CD4'S
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 10:41:55 am »
Fab ,lovely no,s nice one sorryass  {would like to be calling you something else}

CD4 from my years off hearing them with varying degrees of emotion, I can tell you its what the DR reads out >he reads it from info the lab sent him, if it its below {in the U/K ] 350 or 200 or you can name them the session with the DR goes on longer and always ends with more things to do unless you say no. Oh and its a part off your blood theres CD 4 and 8 ,  it can be very unreliable. so I am Glad I am not the only one to just know it as a health marker.

love t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 12:28:27 pm »
Fab ,lovely no,s nice one sorryass  {would like to be calling you something else}

CD4 from my years off hearing them with varying degrees of emotion, I can tell you its what the DR reads out >he reads it from info the lab sent him, if it its below {in the U/K ] 350 or 200 or you can name them the session with the DR goes on longer and always ends with more things to do unless you say no. Oh and its a part off your blood theres CD 4 and 8 ,  it can be very unreliable. so I am Glad I am not the only one to just know it as a health marker.

love t

Well, My CD4's have ever been over 300 or 400, and after 20 yrs. my Doctor says they probably won't, but I'll take the UD, @ least that's a good thing
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 01:12:46 am »
I had to check. I graph my labs using the tool here. Very handy.

Anyway, the last CD4 count I had was 1,064. But, that was in June 2010.

I could swear I have had them done since then. I will check when I get back home. I am on the road again.

Anyway, they bounce from 900 to 1,400.

I have noticed that the lab we use for CD4s and Viral Loads is now using the more sensitive test that shows people as undetectable at less than 20 copies. Neat.

CD4 is a specific type of blood cell. the CD4 helper lymphocyte. It is a type of white blood cell.

It is the cell responsible for sounding the alarm when an infection or foreign agent is spotted in the body. That is why, whe the CD4s are wiped out, we can get everything under the sun because there is no way for the alarm to be sounded.

Back in the olden days, when I was a tad younger, we called them TC4 cells. I am not sure why they changed the designation.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline sorryass

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 02:35:48 am »
Thanks for your help everyone, Mark, very informative.  A member of the site happened to catch my post, (SunnyFlorida), since he is not a LTS, he could not post.  However, he did send a PM with the answer to my question.

"What are CD4's?"

The answer can be found by going to "Wikipedia", Search CD4, and it go's into detail about exactly what a cd4 is.  I found it to be very informative. 
Wikipedia, now why didn't I think of that?

Bertram
xo

Once a gardener,...............er!

*Ritonavir 100mg 2-Day
*Etravirine 100mg 2-Day
*Raltegravir 400mg 2-Day
*Prezista 600mg 2-Day

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 08:28:31 am »
the AidsMeds "Lessons" section (http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Introduction_4702.shtml) is filled with great information too - really, just about anything HIV/AIDS related that you could ever possibly want to know.

the section about CD4s is right here http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/TCellTest_4727.shtml
If you hover over the word TREATMENT in the gray menu bar, LESSONS is the first item in the second column.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 08:29:24 am »
Bertram
I  for one am glad you found wiki via hear because  now I have done my homewok
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.