Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Questions About Treatment & Side Effects

mosquito bite reaction

(1/5) > >>

Dachshund:
Summer in the South always means one thing...mosquito bites. There is no way to avoid a mosquito bite, no matter how careful.

I have noticed the same reaction whenever I am bitten. Let me preface by saying I have been on Sustiva/Truvada for about three years, VL undetectable, and a CD4 count that hovers around 350.

Now the reaction to a bite. Reddening of the area, followed by a clear sticky discharge that can last up to a week or more. Eventually the bite scabs over and heals, but the bite area can remain discolored for quite some time. I take care not to irritate the bite and the use of a topical does not seem to hasten the healing process. I can't remember this happening pre-meds. Has anyone else experienced this with mosquito bites?

Thanks,
Hal

J.R.E.:
Hello Hal,

Can't say that I have experienced this in mosquito haven !! Which reminds me to clean-up the patio and prevent a breeding ground from taking place, and get rid of anything that can collect rain water. It's that time of the year again.

Ray

jerry:
Hal good you brought that up. I have noticed after getting bit by mosquito's that I tend to have large swelling the size of dimes. Usually it takes about two weeks to finally see them disappear but after that there is another one to deal with. Yeah I guess we ones that live in the south should rather avoid going outside in the summer months. Or at least put a lot of Off on us.  ;)

Lwood:
Ive also noticed an increased reaction to mosquito bites since starting HAART, much more swelling and itching than before.
Although after getting a mouthfull of my PI, Cholesterol and Alcohol laden blood, the mosquitos may just be giving me an extra dose of venom out of spite.

Dachshund:
I asked my doc about it a couple of weeks ago...even showed him a fresh bite on my leg. He attributed the reaction to an overactive immune response. I said," I guess any immune response is a good response", he patted me on my head and said, "see you in three months".

Hal

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version