Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:55:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 353
Total: 355

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: symptoms and too scared to test.  (Read 21188 times)

Offline catch2283

• Standard
symptoms and too scared to test.
« on: November 10, 2013, 07:51:15 pm »
I know everybody should get tested but I'm too scared to because if its bad I don't know what to do. My symptoms are dry red eyes , dry mouth that leads to a sore throat by the end of the day. And groin pain that comes and goes.This has gone on for 6 weeks. ( 7 weeks since possible exposure). Now yesterday I started getting pains in my leg. My constant reading about symptoms is doing me no good I know.  I'm constantly worrying over this but I feel that if I get tested and its positive I don't know if I can handle it.  I read that some people go directly from hiv to  aids in 6 months. Is this me since I'm already getting more symptoms like leg pain? Sorry for the ramble. I'm mess. Thank you

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: symptoms and too scared to test.
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 07:58:49 pm »
In order to answer your question we need to know exactly what your risk was  .

The risk factors for HIV are ...

Sharing IV drug needles immediately after use.
Unprotected anal and vaginal sex.
Mother to child during or shortly after birth
Very specific healthcare situations.

You cant go from seroconversion to aids in 6 months , its myth .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline catch2283

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 08:05:07 pm »
It was a one time unprotected vaginal sex with a girl I didn't know very well.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 08:14:52 pm »
You are correct , you did have a risk and now you must test . You can test 6 weeks past any possible exposure and again at 3 months to confirm the result .

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple! .

This is too important to mince words on . If you cant bring yourself to test then find a source of support such a friends , doctor or counselor that can support and motivate you to go get tested . The overwhelming odds are that you do not have Hiv but the only way to know is to test . Is been 7 weeks now so you can test tomorrow if you want . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline catch2283

• Standard
fast progressor?
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 06:55:37 pm »
I'm freaking out waiting for my test results.  My question is if someone has persisitent symptoms early after infection [8 weeks] does that mean they are a fast progressor?  I would think that a slow progressor would probly have no ars and no symptoms such as swollen glands , dry mouth and dry eyes. Really scared and nobody to talk to. 

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 07:08:49 pm »
First of all it's a rule of the site for members to post all of their entries in the same thread. All of your comments are here and this is the only place for you to be writing in the future. Thanks for your cooperation.

Yes, you did have a risk as Jeff has told you. But HIV is much harder to transmit from female to male than it is the other way round. And we're talking about a single incident. Yes, you had a risk but the odds are still significantly in your favor that you will test negative. And there is nothing HIV specific about any of your symptoms. If they persist you should discuss them with your doctor.

As Jeff has told you, you can test initially at 6 weeks. If you get the negative result (which is likely), then you will very likely test negative again at 3 months for a conclusive result.

Since you are at 8 weeks now you can get tested now. So stop the drama and the hysteria and just go get tested. Really. Keep us posted.
Andy Velez

Offline catch2283

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 07:27:34 pm »
Just want to say thank you for this site and all the nice folks here that really helped me. I had my blood test done last Tuesday, 7 weeks after exposure (52) days exactly. it came back negative today and my cbc counts were all normal. Is 7 weeks enough? Just wondering what the percentage is that it would change at the magic 3 month or 6 month mark.  Tonight can I stop feeling my lymph nodes , looking at my tongue , checking my temperature examining my eyes, skin and finially get some rest?? Thank you

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 07:31:46 pm »
The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. Most who are infected will test positive by 6 weeks. For various reasons a small number will take longer and that is why we follow the CDC recommendation to test at 3 months for a conclusive negative result.

Its rare for a 6 or 7 week test to go on and test positive at 3 months , so when you test at 3 months you should expect a negative result .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline catch2283

• Standard
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 01:55:11 pm »
Hi and sorry to ask another question but im scared again. I have been experiencing dry mouth and parotid swelling. im freaking out because I read about hiv sgd and something called dills and it  matches. I tested negative at 7 weeks exposure and my cbc was normal.. Could I have hiv sgd this early and it delayed a positive test result? if I have more of those cd8 cells maybe It delayed my antibody production? I never had dry mouth or swelling before. I know I need to wait 12weeks for conclusive result but now im really worried again.  Thank you

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 04:44:47 pm »
I removed your other post, as you need to keep all your questions in one post, so we can be sure to assess any issues in one place.  Nothing you mention will change your latest test results and you should expect your 12 week test to confirm your 7 week negative result.

Joe

Offline catch2283

• Standard
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 09:13:33 pm »
I'm sorry to keep asking questions but I'm still worried sick.  I was wondering what kind of hiv blood test was done on me. This was in a dr s office which is part of a large group in southern california. Would it be 1st, 2nd , 3rd generation test or something else? It took a week to get my result back. I went there to ask what kind of test but my dr wasn't in and got another dr who said "it takes 3 months to tell". Which has me freaked out since I still have symptoms after my 7 week negative I don't know what test. Any comfort from anyone would be great. private message or whatever.  This is the hardest thing I've gone throug and no one to talk to. Thank you

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 09:27:58 pm »
We have no way of knowing what test you took so you should ask them again , I will say that a large group practice isn't going to use unreliable test so your being paranoid .

The average time to seroconversion is 22 days. Most who are infected will test positive by 6 weeks. For various reasons a small number will take longer and that is why we follow the CDC recommendation to test at 3 months for a conclusive negative result.

Its highly unlikely your negative 7 week test is going to change so expect a negative result .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline catch2283

• Standard
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, 03:44:51 pm »
Im back again to ask for expert opinion. Sad that regular drs don't seem to know a lot about hiv. My questions are;  Is the ora quick saliva test accurate?  I took one on sunday exactly at 10 weeks (70) days and then another one today just to make sure I did it right, and they were both negative.  My blood test from the dr at 7 weeks (52) days came back negative as well. What do you think the chances of me turning positive at the 3 month mark on a scale of like 1 to 100?? Does that happen after a 10 week negative? Thank you,  will keep you updated.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2013, 03:50:07 pm »

Its rare for a 6 or 7 week test to go on and test positive at 3 months , so when you test at 3 months you should expect a negative result .

The oraquick is accurate and its highly unlikely that you will would go on to test positive at 3 months . I have never seen a case where a 6 week negative came back as positive .

Just get tested at the appropriate time and move on , expect a negative result .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline catch2283

• Standard
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2013, 04:02:53 pm »
So that means you haven't heard of a 10 week going  changing either? lol So completely throw out the old 6 month window correct? I sure hope youre right Jeff. If you are im sending you a gift card to your favorite store, whatever that is.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2013, 04:16:38 pm »
The window period is 6 weeks past any possible exposure and 3 months to confirm a conclusive result . That's the CDC guideline and ours as well .

Your test isn't likely to change at this late date .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2013, 04:38:03 pm »
So that means you haven't heard of a 10 week going  changing either? lol So completely throw out the old 6 month window correct? I sure hope youre right Jeff. If you are im sending you a gift card to your favorite store, whatever that is.

The six month window was thrown out a decade or more ago. Six weeks is where it's at, though the global standard remains three months, as standalone ELISA tests still dominate many areas.

A ten week test will be all but definitive. In the ten plus years I have done risk assessment on this forum I have yet to see a six-week negative turn into a three - month positive. Factor in that HIV is SIGNIFICANTLY harder to transmit from female to male, and you are pretty much just waiting for the "final" confirmation now, for peace of mind.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2013, 06:55:56 pm »
http://www.cdc.gov/globalaids/Resources/pmtct-care/docs/TM/Module_6TM.pdf
Page 11
  In an adult, a positive HIV antibody test result means that the person is infected, a person with a negative or inconclusive result may be in the “window for 4 to 6 weeks but occasionally up to 3 months after HIV exposure. Persons at high risk who initially test negative should be retested 3 months after exposure to confirm results

Offline catch2283

• Standard
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 08:10:21 pm »
The blood test I had from the dr. was  HIV antibodies, HIV-1/2, EIA with reflex to IV 1. Is EIA as good as elisa?? I took this at 7 weeks [52] days.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 08:12:55 pm »
The blood test I had from the dr. was  HIV antibodies, HIV-1/2, EIA with reflex to IV 1. Is EIA as good as elisa?? I took this at 7 weeks [52] days.

Its a good and accurate test .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 08:13:23 pm »
That test is an ELISA test. 3 months post exposure is when you can obtain your conclusive test result.

Offline catch2283

• Standard
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 08:28:52 pm »
My most important question of all. Is it possible to transmit hiv through a closed mouth kiss to someone? Even if I were to have a viral load in zillions ? I know there's some blood in oral fluid. Hopefujlly it would die on the outside of my lips.  I give my daughter a kiss on the cheek at night and she has mild dry skin exzema sometimes. I'm really freaked out over this , especially reading the recent poster on this site that said he got it from kissing.  Please tell me I'm being crazy and hopefully  not possible in the manner I described. Sorry for all the questions , this one means the most to me. Thank you

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2013, 08:31:50 pm »
My most important question of all. Is it possible to transmit hiv through a closed mouth kiss to someone? Even if I were to have a viral load in zillions ? I know there's some blood in oral fluid. Hopefujlly it would die on the outside of my lips.  I give my daughter a kiss on the cheek at night and she has mild dry skin exzema sometimes. I'm really freaked out over this , especially reading the recent poster on this site that said he got it from kissing.  Please tell me I'm being crazy and hopefully  not possible in the manner I described. Sorry for all the questions , this one means the most to me. Thank you
k No it is not possible to transmit HIV from kissing.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2013, 08:34:42 pm »
The risk factors for HIV are ...

Sharing IV drug needles immediately after use.
Unprotected anal and vaginal sex.
Mother to child during or shortly after birth
Very specific healthcare situations.

Please read your thread again, you are asking the same questions over again .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline catch2283

• Standard
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2013, 08:46:26 pm »
NO. And I'm sorry. My last question is about transmission  to a child through cheek kiss. I was hoping someone would tell me its impossible, tell me its crazy whatever. Lol.  I come here because I know the info you guys have is accurate. Ill donate !

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2013, 08:53:18 pm »
You have been given the transmission routes already and it doesn't matter if you donated or not . Posting excessively is grounds for a time out .

We are not going to go endless rounds answering the same questions over and over . We have made it clear the path forward to test at the appropriate time .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline catch2283

• Standard
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2013, 06:30:44 pm »
Hello,   I just received my 84 day EIA blood test result and it was negative.  I'm still worried because symptoms persist.  1. I called the aids foundation out here and the nurse said I needed to wait until after 90 days. Is that correct or is 84 days enough?  2. Could an auto immune disease like ulcerative colitis delay seroconversion ?  I tested negative EIA at 7 weeks . Home oraquick at 10 , 10.5 and 11 weeks all negative. EIA 84 days [12 weeks] negative. Should I go get another oraquick and test today? Hopefully I'm not one of the 3 out of 100 that convert later. Thankyou again

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2013, 06:51:59 pm »
We have answered your questions thoroughly about transmission risk and window periods . We will not keep going over the same thing with you so read your whole thread again if you cant remember what we advised already .

If you are sick go see your doctor . HIV is not your problem .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline catch2283

• Standard
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2013, 07:05:37 pm »
Sorry. I know you hate me by now and  I won't ask anymore questions after this.   1. Is 84 days conclusive? 2. Would an auto immune disease delay seroconversion? Thank you

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2013, 05:32:11 am »
Catch,

Yes, 84 days (twelve weeks) is conclusive everywhere in the world - it's only the US that hangs on to thirteen weeks. It's sheer pedantry.

No, if anything, autoimmune diseases tend to cause false positive results.

We don't hate you. If anything, we pity you for the fact that you can't let this go and accept that you don't have hiv. Must be a horrible existence chasing a virus you do not have. Give it up already and get on with your life.

And as Jeff said, if you feel unwell, see a doctor to find out what is going on. You have already ruled hiv conclusively OUT of the picture. You could be missing something serious in your bone-headed insistence on it being hiv when it's not.

If you still cannot accept the fact that YOU DO NOT HAVE HIV, perhaps some time with a mental health professional is in order. We cannot help you with that here.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.