Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 10:03:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 211
Total: 212

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: deviated septum surgery...  (Read 4730 times)

Offline mitch777

deviated septum surgery...
« on: April 01, 2013, 09:03:06 am »
I finally got fed up enough with my life long sinus problems and have an appointment today with a ENT doc to discuss surgery.

Am a bit concerned about my recent insomnia from Isentress and that I need Lunesta to sleep.
Could one or both of these meds cause problems with anesthesia?
I will ask the doc but wanted to see if anyone dealt with a similar issue here.

Also,
If anyone here has been through deviated septum surgery, what should I expect as far as pain, recuperation time, results?

I am a bit nervous about the whole thing and hope the results are worth going through all of this.

Thanks!
m.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: deviated septum surgery...
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 09:38:14 am »
Hi Mitch . I think we have talked about my experience with sinus surgery . The procedure I had was in part deviated septum rhinoplasty with a graft surgery .

My doctor uses a technique where he doesn't pack the sinus cavity with gauze . If your doctor is one who still uses packs then its my understanding there is a bit more discomfort .

I was never in any pain other than tenderness after my surgery but I wont lie , what drained out of my head for a couple of days was pretty grisly , that was the worst part .
I didn't have any bruising or black eyes , just tons of discharge from my nose to deal with .

I would do it all again 100 times over because this is the first time in years I am headache free and can breath correctly . I know you suffer headaches and I'm excited for you and hoping you get the same relief I did from the surgery .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 09:39:19 am »
I had this surgery done over 20 years ago due to an automobile accident.  It was the most horrid thing I ever experienced (up to that point).  Recovery was worse than expected, pain was worse...etc.

Within a year it was determined tha I needed additional surgery because of the severity of the injury.  Instead, this big sissy chose to deal with not being able to breath correctly for a long time.

Finally, it got so bad and uncomfortable, I chose to have it done again.  About 2 years ago I finally prepared for all the misery and had the surgery.  I could have kicked myself in the ass for not having it done sooner.  Instant relief and I didn't even need pain medication.

I've had so many surgeries lately that I can't remember exact details, but during one of them I was given Versed Anesthesia.  I had a severe reaction to it as it counteracted with one of my HIV drugs.  It's important to discuss with the doctor what drugs will be used and to ask if there are any known interactions.  I missed the boat on that at the time but have since learned. 

Best of luck Mitchy.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 09:47:23 am »
wow.
3 surgeries in 2 replies with 3 different experiences!

hmmm..
I pick the combo of #1 and #3.
headache solution with no pain. :)

was it a week or 2 to get "back to normal"?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 09:53:48 am »
wow.
3 surgeries in 2 replies with 3 different experiences!

hmmm..
I pick the combo of #1 and #3.
headache solution with no pain. :)

was it a week or 2 to get "back to normal"?

With my latest surgery, I had zero down time.  I had prepared for a couple of weeks of recovery but was totally fine the next day.  I was also admonished to never use over the counter nasal sprays.  It was explained that although they give immediate relief, each spray causes further long term damage.  I keep a prescription spray available that doesn't cause damage.  Nasacort works wonders.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 09:58:59 am »
I was ready to get back to my abbynormal self in a week . If the surgery had of been awful ( it wasn't ) I would still have had it done knowing what I know now .

I think the key to less post op discomfort is finding a doc who does NOT pack your sinus cavity with gauze that has to removed ... this is important .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 10:02:16 am »
With my latest surgery, I had zero down time.  I had prepared for a couple of weeks of recovery but was totally fine the next day.  I was also admonished to never use over the counter nasal sprays.  It was explained that although they give immediate relief, each spray causes further long term damage.  I keep a prescription spray available that doesn't cause damage.  Nasacort works wonders.
I had HORRIBLE allergies as a kid and abused nasal spray to the extreme. :(
It seemed to be the only way I felt I could cope.
I'm sure I destroyed all of the cilia (or whatever those tiny hair like filters are called).
I even spent my "allowance" money on Sinex if I had to.
Yes, I was a Sinex junkie. ::)
I also went for years and years travelling 45 minutes each way on a monthly basis to get allergy shots.

ps- thanks Jeff, I will be sure to ask about that today.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 01:02:54 pm »
I had this surgery done last year and it was fairly easy breezy. I didn't have accompanying sinus issues so I didn't have things draining out of my nose during the recovery like Jeff did. Also like Jeff I didn't have my nose packed, meaning up the nostrils (they do put some gauze on the outside to catch drippings) -- my surgeon said that isn't done anymore generally.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Fisher

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 02:53:59 pm »
Has it done a long time ago. Not much pain at all. I do not remember the operation, but the anesthesia was light. Surgeon said I was talking to him during the operation, but I remembered nothing.
- fisher
06/15 CD 365 %24 VL<20
01/15 CD 468 %24 VL<20
09/14 CD 385 %22 VL<20
07/14 CD 391 %20 VLUD
04/14 CD 486 %23 VL<20
11/13 CD 351 %21  VL<20
10/13 CD 390 %16  VL<20
06/13 CD 315 %19  VL 22
02/13 CD 396 %14  VL<20
12/12 CD 392 %13  VL320
11/12 CD 428 %13  VL1200
*Started Meds: Atripla
10/12 CD 427 %11  VL 139000 -- 09/12 CD 408 %13 VL 92928
09/11 CD 745 %27 VL CLOT -- 10/10 CD 863 %29 VL 2782
10/09 CD 597 %30 VL 2537 -- 05/08 CD 809 %28 VL 1504
04/07 CD 797 %25 VL 3558 -- 11/06 CD 720 %28 VL 1214
06/05 CD 731 %25 VL 1575 -- 12/04 CD 1176 %30 VL 1329
01/04 CD 959 %26 VL 1011 -- 11/03 CD 1000 %28 VL 1581
12/02 CD 748 %28 -- 10/01 CD 860 %25
08/00 CD 1022 %28 -- 04/99 CD 854 %27
11/98 CD 899 %28 -- 02/97 CD 1400 %37
11/96 CD 1325  VL <500 -- 09/96 – Western Blot
05/83 – 04/98 - Mon - Pa

Offline mitch777

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 05:55:14 pm »
thanks everyone!

surgery is scheduled for the end of this month.
geez, they are speedy.

doc doesn't use packing. :)

recoup time about a week.

he didn't seem too concerned about drug interactions but the anesthesiologist will discuss this prior to the surgery.

sounds like it's not too big of a deal but I am a delicate flower.
I always remembered stories of doctors having to break your nose for this.
fallacy or old school?

he did say that it was wise to get it done now before the insurance companies start cracking down more on this kind of procedure. ::)

he also wasn't all that hopeful that it would help with my headaches. :(
I will keep my fingers crossed.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 06:06:04 pm »
If my cognitive thingy is working correctly, I seem to recall that my doctor insterted some sort of tube into the passage ways that disolved on their own.  The first time, they used packing and it was horrid.

I bet you'll be surprised how quickly the recovery time is. 

My sinus headaches stopped almost immediately after my procedure, so I hope that holds true for you also.  Assuming that you're having headaches due to sinus problems?

Offline mitch777

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 06:49:26 pm »
If my cognitive thingy is working correctly, I seem to recall that my doctor insterted some sort of tube into the passage ways that disolved on their own.  The first time, they used packing and it was horrid.

I bet you'll be surprised how quickly the recovery time is. 

My sinus headaches stopped almost immediately after my procedure, so I hope that holds true for you also.  Assuming that you're having headaches due to sinus problems?
yes, he said there will be a plastic thingy tube put in tied with stitches that will need to be removed after day 3 (if my memory is working).

my neurologist doesn't think that the headaches are caused from my sinus issues but then he hasn't been able to solve the problem either. :P

headaches seem to be the world's biggest mystery.
ugh.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 11:28:46 pm »
My doctor was really hard to pin down on what he thought the benefits of the surgery would be other than to state I would breath better and my anatomy would be corrected .

I think he was shy about promising too much , when I asked about the headaches and infections he was honest and told me he simply couldn't tell because the allergy's may have been more of a factor than the anatomy .

It worked for my head aches even though I still have bad allergy's because my sinus can drain and doesent back up . I hope that it works that way for you as well .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.