Meds, Mind, Body & Benefits > Lipodystrophy & Metabolic Problems

Rejection?

<< < (4/5) > >>

Gary85741:

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your post.  A question about your silicone injections...you say the effects are considered permanent rather than temporary like some or most of the other similar procedures.  But you also say you've had to have four of these injections during the last two years.  Will you need to have any more injections done...or does that complete your treatment?

Were all the other areas of your body okay (unaffected by lipoatrophy?)  I've not thought a lot ever about having such a procedure done.  For one thing, I didn't know if good results would be predictable (or...one might end up looking like they had the mumps, or might facially look asymmetrical or something?)  The other thing for me...my butt is gone and my legs look bad (thin!)  So even if my face passed muster...were I then to become intimate with someone he would of course see the butt and legs and then that would be off-putting. 

Also philosophically...a part of me thinks that if someone would shun me due to my wasting...would I really want such a person to like me only because I'd had cosmetic improvements?  (Does that make sense?)

Sounds like we've been down much the same road.  And do I ever hear you about the collapse of self-confidence!

Thanks,
Gary

Doug3206:
Gary,
more than happy to elaborate...
yes, you can have bad results with silicone... which is why it's so important to find a reputable Dr. w/ experience in the procedure, who knows what their doing. Dr. Abrams & Dr. Beer are well known here in the LA area. The reason It's taken me two years is purely financial on my part... the four treatment are because as I said my facial lipoatrophy was severe and it has taken 4 treatments to build the volume of my face back to normal proportions.

to my knowledge here's how it works

micro droplets of medical grade silicone oil are injected through a very small (insulin size needle)
your face is numbed before this happens... because the silicone is medical grade is is essentially bio inert
your body recognizes it but cannot get rid of it so it is encapsulated by collagen fibers which both plump up the tissue as well as holding the silicone in place.

I always had these treatments done on a Friday so I had the weekend to deal with the slight swelling/redness, after the initial swelling goes down then you start to notice the difference in about a week, the real pain is not being able to sleep on your face for two days... oh and no aspirin/ibuprofen during that time

Like you I've lost some of the bubble butt I used to have (damn I miss that butt!  :o) the best thing I can suggest is the gym, there are plenty of exercises to build up your butt and legs, besides the exercise also help to boost those serotonin levels and makes ya feel better in general. Even running up and down the stairwell in your apt. bldg. is a viable option as well as being a great cardio workout!!

as far as people judging you on how you look, unfortunately that seems to be something that we just have to deal with as human beings... would be a much better world if we got to know each others hearts first... but we both know that's not how it goes

Well, didn't mean to go on this long, but hope the info helps. believe me I struggled a bit with the idea at first, and am not a big proponent of plastic surgery, but remember, this procedure is restorative in nature...not elective as most stupid ass insurance companies deem it to be.

Gary, be well
I wish you great things :-*
Doug

GSOgymrat:
Doug,

Do Dr. Abrams & Dr. Beer have a website?

Doug3206:
Website for Dr Abrahms & Beer is wilshireaestetics.com
contact number is 323-936-1245

good luck!

allopathicholistic:

--- Quote from: Doug3206 on August 05, 2006, 01:51:21 am ---Website for Dr Abrahms & Beer is wilshireaestetics.com
contact number is 323-936-1245

good luck!

--- End quote ---

aesthetics with an h - click here for site

sorry - my curiosity got the better of me  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version