Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:43:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773185
  • Total Topics: 66334
  • Online Today: 476
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 328
Total: 328

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What is considered Safe???  (Read 7404 times)

Offline jpy865

What is considered Safe???
« on: February 04, 2007, 05:05:02 pm »
This story will be something everyone can comment on my doctor said "no possible way."  Others say "you are putting her at risk."
Just the other week my GF and I took a bubble bath together it was amazing no sex just nice relaxation. 
My doctor said "good job.  Great alternative to intercourse." I felt great than my friends/family said that "I am going to infect her by doing so."
I think they were just jealous!!!!
What do you think all? Wouldn't any bodily fluids that would escaped my one-eyed monster have to find a way into her bloodstream? And doesn't soap naturally kill HIV in bodily fluids?
Plus we did not have sex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 12:34:26 pm by jpy865 »
Diagnosed November, 2005
Medications: Truvada (NRTI), Kaletra (PI)
02/08
Cd4 = 735
VL = <50

Offline Life

• Member 2005
Re: What is considered Safe???
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 05:20:03 pm »
Your friends are evidently not getting any... PS... Mr. Bubble is a prime suspect for getting your GF pregnant however...

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 05:52:06 pm »
jp,

There is absolutely, positively NO WAY you would infect your woman by having a bubble bath with her.

Make sure you use condoms for intercourse and you'll be fine. There have been long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one. This shows us two things. One, condoms are very effective for the prevention of hiv transmission. Two, oral sex is much lower risk than previously believed. We now have the evidence that oral sex is a very low risk activity where hiv transmission is concerned.

You can give her oral to your heart's content. As for her giving you blowjobs, please re-read the above study I discuss. This is something you will have to discuss between you and decide where your comfort zone lies. If she pays attention to her oral hygeine, her risk is next to nil. As with anything, do some reading and make an informed decision.

Feel free to ask more questions, and/or have your girlfriend join as well and she can ask her own questions.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline koi1

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2007, 06:25:56 pm »
What Ann said+Hazmat suit.

rob
« Last Edit: February 04, 2007, 06:34:15 pm by koi1 »
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline terpie82

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2007, 06:40:16 pm »
Haha, Eric, you're just too funny! :D

jpy, Ann and your Dr. are right, and your friends are in desperate need of getting laid. And it is my understanding that soap and water can inactive the HIV virus by 30-fold and viral infected cells between 57-87% (according to the study http://aac.asm.org/cgi/reprint/47/10/3321).

A gift for your friends/family:
There are many who talk on from ignorance rather than from knowledge, and who find the former an inexhaustible fund of conversation.---William Hazlitt (1778-1830) British essayist.
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.--Martin Luther King Jr. (1929-1968)
Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon or star.--Confucius (BC 551-BC 479)
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%
Three-month treatment interruption for NIH study and back on Stribild 1/8/16

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2007, 05:44:41 am »
I felt great than my friends/family said that "I am going to infect her by doing so."

Interesting concept. Complete science fiction, but interesting.

Bubble baths are nice, especially when shared with a loved one.

Daniel
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2007, 08:08:43 am »
The kind of swell intimate and sensuous experience you described can easily lead to intercourse, so keep those latex condoms handy. And use them everytime without exception. They provide very effective protection.

Should you find yourself having intercourse in the bubble bath, which has been known to happen, you still need to wear a condom, so keep the latex handy.

Keep on having fun together. Just make sure you do it the safer way.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2007, 08:33:15 am »
If that was a risky behaviour forget about swimming in a pool and tell your GF not to do so. You never know if anyone in an hotelīs pool has HIV. :P
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline jpy865

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2007, 12:26:51 pm »
Thanks to all of you!!! My family and friends are just concerned that is all.
We had protected sexual intercouse afterwards but the bath was amazing.
We gave each other massages, and rubbed each others feet. Talk about getting her very very horny I was even really trying to get her excited!!!!!!!!
Safe sex all the way.  We do not want anymore STD/I's.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2007, 12:35:58 pm by jpy865 »
Diagnosed November, 2005
Medications: Truvada (NRTI), Kaletra (PI)
02/08
Cd4 = 735
VL = <50

Offline srmn98

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2007, 07:08:42 pm »

Hello Ann. Could you point me towards these studies online ? I am a HIV + female and am  having trouble finding studies on HIV transmission via oral sex. Specifically, I want to know if I can pass on HIV if my partner who is HIV negative performs oral sex on me.  Thanks.

jp,

Make sure you use condoms for intercourse and you'll be fine. There have been long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one. This shows us two things. One, condoms are very effective for the prevention of hiv transmission. Two, oral sex is much lower risk than previously believed. We now have the evidence that oral sex is a very low risk activity where hiv transmission is concerned.

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2007, 07:09:03 pm »
jp,

There is absolutely, positively NO WAY you would infect your woman by having a bubble bath with her.

You can give her oral to your heart's content. As for her giving you blowjobs, please re-read the above study I discuss. This is something you will have to discuss between you and decide where your comfort zone lies. If she pays attention to her oral hygeine, her risk is next to nil. As with anything, do some reading and make an informed decision.

Feel free to ask more questions, and/or have your girlfriend join as well and she can ask her own questions.

Ann

Hey Ann,

Do you have links to those studies?   I think they would be extremely helpful for those of us who've been in mixed relationships or continue to pursue them or rather questioning the idea.   I also think these studies would help open up the minds of others.  

Thx,

Wesley
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 07:27:16 pm »
Aww that is sweet. I always thought bubble baths with a bf to be romantic, especially if it's just by candle light...*sighs*...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline tsw923

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 10:20:05 pm »
Ann,

I also echo the 'can you post where these studies are?' plea.  I want to be able to read it for myself and then communicate it to the bf.  I want to make sure and make sure he's comfortable with it (I'm + and he's -) I'm adventurous and all, but I'd like to remove the 'saran wrap' barrier if I could... :o

Ty
Help find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers by sponsoring me as I walk a 1/2 marathon as a part of the Maryland chapter of Team in Training.  To find out more and to donate, please click on the following site:  http://www.active.com/donate/tntmd/tswtntmd

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 11:14:14 am »
Hi Ty, hi Wes,

I used to have several bookmarked, but can't find them now. I also have a couple on my hard drive in PDF format but can't get them to post here. Most of the links I had went to an NHS database that you have to have a subscription to, so you wouldn't have been able to read them anyway.

There is one page I still have bookmarked and the study it discusses relates to pregnancy and transmission. However, there have been quite a few studies such as these in recent years, with one of them running for ten years, involving hundreds of couples of all descriptions and some of the positive partners were on meds and some weren't. In the study I'll link to, all the positive partners were on meds.

http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/28C10338-8689-4248-8614-B3D9CEB651C1.asp

As for saran wrap - throw it out or keep it in the kitchen where it belongs! :D There has never been a documented case where transmission occurred during cunnilingus. (there have been a few cases where it was claimed to have happened, but other risks such as unprotected intercourse or shared needles came to light) If going down on a positive woman was a real risk, we'd know about it by now.

At the end of the day, you and your partner will have to decide what is right for you. In my own relationship, we worried about the cunnilingus factor at first, until all the evidence I read pointed to a no-risk issue. We haven't used an oral sex barrier either way since about six months into my diagnosis, and he's still hiv negative seven and a half years later.

Good luck hun!

Ann

PS... when I've got more time, I'll try to hunt those studies down. My links used to go to the full text, but the abstracts at least should be available somewhere. A Google search on serodiscordant couples isn't much use... these studies seem to be among the most hidden ones in history or something. ::)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 11:17:50 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline tsw923

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 08:53:49 pm »
Thanks Ann!!!  I will be relagating saran wrap to the kitchen again....

Ty

Help find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers by sponsoring me as I walk a 1/2 marathon as a part of the Maryland chapter of Team in Training.  To find out more and to donate, please click on the following site:  http://www.active.com/donate/tntmd/tswtntmd

Offline srmn98

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 08:55:40 pm »
hello ann,

thanks for the update. i'm still curious about seeing those studies though. If you have any information as to which lab did the studies and which scientific journals have published the studies, it would be much appreciated. thanks much !

erika.

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 09:28:21 pm »
They are just scared and letting you know their feelings.  I perfer a good bubble bath.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.