Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:47:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 600
Total: 600

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: By law am I obligated to disclose my HIV status to roommates?  (Read 6717 times)

Offline Johnperk

• John Perkins | just my journey...
I'm a student and found a roommate whom I've been living with for a year. I signed a contract with the landlord, but she refused to give me a copy of the lease, which was sketchy. However, I was told the lease will be up by my roommate and I have to be out. I have already found a place and my roommate (specifically her girlfriend..) have been very rude and a huge fight out of no where took place last night because they destroy the kitchen and keep it filthy...I barely use the kitchen if ever.. yet I am attacked for every small thing I do. For example, they keep pots and pans with food sitting on stove for days! I left rice in the sink last night and she BLEW UP. I even used to clean their mess, but stopped when I realized they would mess RIGHT UP after it was spotless. I keep to myself AT ALL times, usually I am studying but will hear their remarks... "You fucking dirty ass bitch.." .."BITCH!" .

They gave me a futon but asked for it back and even called me a pill popper because I guess they hear me rattling my HIV meds... I was so frustrated by this comment seeing how they sit around and smoke weed all day (not that I have a problem with weed...but the shit they smoke literally smells like dog shit) that I disclosed my status. The my roommates girlfriend BLEW UP... was forcing to call the police (was pretending to be on the phone with police) and said she was pressing charges since we shared plates and the sink. She was basically calling me a murderer and said it was against the law for me not to disclose this with her. Obviously she is uneducated about HIV and a part of me feels I shouldnt have disclosed my statues. I am healthy, have good docs, and I'm undetectable ... its really no ones business and we arent particullar close... I just needed a place close to the school!

However, now I am curious... I was diagnosed in 2012- was I really obligated to share this with them before moving in? "Hey I'm gay, and I am HIV pos"... I'm sorry I don't mind disclosing this with a potiental partner... but I don't find it to be their right to know about my health. It's personal. I stayed clean and sometimes we shared dishes and such... but I always washed them and treated them with care/respect. However, my roommates girlfriend is 20 and WAS REALLY upset and not very kind towards my HIV diagnosis ... in fact this is the exact reason why I think it should be kept private and not of her concern. I know I did this to myself by disclosing, but am moving out tomorrow anyway (yet they still want to be drama.. they are very immature girls) ..but still lots of tension there ...not really looking forward staying another night especially now since I am being judged and being called trash. Can't wait to get out of here.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 10:57:12 am by Johnperk »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: By law am I obligated to disclose my HIV status to roommates?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 11:11:47 am »
You are under no obligation to disclose your HIV status to a roommate so tell them to go fuck themselves . I'm very sorry you are dealing with this . 

Be grateful that you will be moving on and don't even look back, leave them and the negativity behind  .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline zach

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 11:28:32 am »
absolutely not, none of their damn business. shared plates and a sink?!?! please, screw them, morons. they are the ones smoking pot, probably illegal in your state, she's bluffing calling the law.

if you're not having intercourse with a person, there is no obligation to disclose

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 11:55:54 am »
Well that sounds like it was a horrible situation.
What kind of town do you live in? Any alternative types who might be more chill at least?  Hippy dippy food coop?   Any gay centre that might have roommate postings?
I hope you find a better share soon! 
While you are not obliged to disclose to roommates, on the other hand, the next time, if you do have the luck of a few choices of people to live with, disclosing might be a litmus test at the get go, and reveal someones prejudice, if they exist. I mean, if you want that info out there.  Which you may not of course.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Johnperk

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 12:12:44 pm »
Well that sounds like it was a horrible situation.
What kind of town do you live in? Any alternative types who might be more chill at least?  Hippy dippy food coop?   Any gay centre that might have roommate postings?
I hope you find a better share soon! 
While you are not obliged to disclose to roommates, on the other hand, the next time, if you do have the luck of a few choices of people to live with, disclosing might be a litmus test at the get go, and reveal someones prejudice, if they exist. I mean, if you want that info out there.  Which you may not of course.

Im in fort pierce FL. A big AIDS community...its a sketchy town. Lot's of crime, a little run down in most all places...great beaches though and downtown is okayish...not a very artsy fartsy "hip" crowd...but there is a couple hippie places downtown next to the yoga business...and maybe one or two artsy cafes. Lots of sushi places too! I mean its not Orlando, Miami, or Fort Lauderdale.  I am here for school only, but honestly have not check for LGBT center and quite frankly, I'd be a little scared to room with someone posting ads in Fort Pierce at a center here. I hate to profile, but I was rooming with someone in another county before I enrolled back into school who helped me get in touch with doctors, HIV treatment, etc... they even got me a job that lasted a me a couple months :(. However, I wanted to move closer to the school and I ended up staying in a home with a sex offender (who was glued to A4A and gay indie films). I honestly felt uncomfortable...so thats when I moved in with the young lesbian couple I'm staying in with now..however, the girlfriend came around a little later in the year...I liked it way better when it was just the one girl.. but I never said anything. Again, I don't see alot of LGTB centers in fort pierce... it's mostly recovery meetings, churches, HIV clinic, etc.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 12:18:00 pm by Johnperk »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 01:11:30 pm »
Jeez, a lesbian couple gave you this crazy HIV/police/murder shit??!!!!  Shame on them.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Dan0

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 01:54:43 pm »
Lessons learned - most roommates are great during the honeymoon. After that, they have that special personality that can only be endured while they sleep. 

If you can afford it and it is available - IMO - you're just better off by yourself.  Also, be prepared, they'll call you trash on Tuesday and want to be in your good graces on Wednesday.  As tempting as it might be, avoid!!  I think the saying goes, 'When people show you who they really are..... BELIEVE THEM!' It sounds as if the GF is a territorial bitch and no matter what you would have done, the path (to her) was clear!  The only thing she didn't do was pee on the sofa to mark her territory.

Out of this, simply put you head up high and secretly thank them for the ultimate learning experience in cohabitation.
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline Johnperk

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 01:57:50 pm »
Jeez, a lesbian couple gave you this crazy HIV/police/murder shit??!!!!  Shame on them.

Yes, but I think they are ignorant. Also, they were telling me how "unmanly" i was because I have "momma payin the rent" ...and I am very close to my mother and a mommas boy, but I thought that was very rude of them to say that. Why do they care who pays their rent... it is getting paid??? They were very out of place...."Dude you have penis dawggg...act like a man" and one had her pants pulled down with to her knees. Just gross and not very lady like. Honestly, feel very invalidated. I was quite shocked honestly and embarassed for them.  Sorry I'm still sort of venting about it... but it really was uncalled for.

I do think these females have problem with men regardless of how masc or fem they act. They just have a problem with men... very immature girls. I feel sorry for the next roommate. I remember when I first moved in... I was told the previous roommate had left  and she damaged the carpet. I'm just saying they better not pin the damages on me cause techically I'm not on the lease... I was never given a copy of the lease and was I looked this up and it's illegal. THe landlord told me to give money to roommate ... so basically if anything happens I'm made out to look bad along with the roommate for allowing me to stay in the apartment. Very sketchy landlord. She had me sign papers...but never gave me the form. Anyway, I'm just saying if they try to pin me for damages FUCK THAT... the girlfriend even said "YOUR NOT ON THE LEASE...HAHA..you have no RIGHTS...WHAT ARE UR RIGHTS" ... if thats the case... they better not hassle me with damages because when I moved in there was damages. I was going to clean out the room and bathroom spotless...but now I'm just think i want to just grab my bags and leave! My other apartment / roommate situation is already payed for.. hopefully it will be better.

Sorry for venting ya'll... I have a test tonight and I need to get back to studying... so I guess venting it out helps a little...don't mean to be drama. The HIV comments offended me, but I held myself together pretty well. THis morning I saw a rainbow by the fountain in the corner of my eye...and I thought that was symbolic and postive. It made me feel better and to not worry about those comments.

Lessons learned - most roommates are great during the honeymoon. After that, they have that special personality that can only be endured while they sleep.

Yes, I'm worried about that with the next roommates... I wanted to room by myself, but I can't afford to right now. I lost my job this past august... so things have been tight. Yes, I've been getting help from my mother and I'm 26. Need to look for a job asap. Life is stressful right now. :(
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 02:01:46 pm by Johnperk »

Offline marcmoral16

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 02:07:49 pm »
Just to avoid anything I would take pictures of your room before you leave and anything else. I would try to do it when they are sleep if there are places you don't want them to see snapping photos.

I'm sorry you had to go through that honestly, you were a brave man when you disclosed to them. They are clearly ignorant people and no amount of time nor energy should be wasted on them anymore. Your moving and you've got a new start for me that's enough to have a nice cold one or a cocktail of your choice!

Keep in touch and do let us know how happy you are once you've settled in your new place!
Tested Positive Jan 16 2013
CD4 119 6% VL 23980
Started Complera Feb 2013
March CD4 199 9% VL 1000
May CD4 255 12% VL 334
June CD4 284 15% VL 172
Switched to Stribild middle June 2013
July CD4 325 22% VL 51
October CD4 341 23% VL UD!!
Jan 2014 CD4 343 20% VL <20
July 2014 CD4 450 26% VL <20
December 2014 491 26% still UD!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 03:13:03 pm »
I like the advice TAKE PICTURES BEFORE YOU LEAVE . I did this once and it paid off big time .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2014, 06:40:44 pm »
You note you asked the landlord for a copy of the lease but she refused --is that because you're not on the lease? if you're not on the lease she is not obliged to give you a copy. In this scenario you may actually be in a better position than you may think because you're not on the lease.

While you're still pissed off and memories are fresh write down everything you can remember of relevance.

Do document everything you have paid and if you have copies of checks or money orders that would be helpful. I agree with others who have encouraged you to photograph your particular room  and examples of your housekeeping. Finally, chronologically document any episodes that are illustrations of how you were treated what was said, any items missing or broken, etc.

Get out as soon as possible and don't look back. AND don't count on citing that landlord for any future rentals. She may diss you big time in a reference check.

Did you pay a security deposit? If so, how much and who has it? Was it documented by the recipient?

Offline Johnperk

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2014, 11:53:41 am »
Thank you for comments. All moved out.. moved out Thursday. New apartment Is way better and my roommates are very sociable and friendly...cooked me dinner and not stand offish like the previous. Apartment and kitchen IS VERY clean...it's only been a few days...but I have a better feeling about this place.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2014, 12:06:09 pm »
Do they know your HIV status ? ... not that they should but was just curious .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2014, 01:08:00 pm »
Congrats! 

Offline WindySkies

• Tested + 10/11/12
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 02:43:47 pm »
You should have turned it around on them and called the cops to report possession of illegal substances.  Ignorant people need to learn lessons.
10/11/2012 Journey Started
10/17/2012 First Labs: VL=57,645  CD4+=730  37%
10/31/2012 Started Complera
11/30/2012 Labs: VL=80  CD4+=929 40%
12/24/2012 Started Stribild

Undetectable since 1/15/13 CD4+= Over 1,400 and 49%

Offline Johnperk

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 03:01:05 pm »
Do they know your HIV status ? ... not that they should but was just curious .

Nope. I just honestly don't feel the need to do that. I feel only family/ close friends, doctors..and of course HIV communities like this should know. For everyone else...MIND YOUR OWN business! The roommates were 100% proof why I prefer not to inform strangers...because a lot of people are uneducated when it comes to HIV and judge people who are infected. I have no shame telling people like that...but I'd rather avoid the drama/ ignorance. It's less of a headache ya know...

You should have turned it around on them and called the cops to report possession of illegal substances.  Ignorant people need to learn lessons.

You know I thought about it...but I'm sure karma will slap them with something, especially with the way the act. They could could use a karma slap...more like a karma face palm.

Also, I doubt the police would do anything...given the fact I reported the meth dealers/runners my ex threw me under a bus for...it seems Orlando FL police have done nothing! However, I did report them to DEA and FBI. I have no tolerance for crystal meth. Horrible drug.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 03:06:00 pm by Johnperk »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 03:06:01 pm »
I just happy for you that you are not in that toxic environment anymore .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.