Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:10:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 213
Total: 214

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: oh, that fabulous insomnia  (Read 18831 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
oh, that fabulous insomnia
« on: March 17, 2012, 06:42:20 am »
So it's now 5:55 AM and I'm still not asleep :( Such glory! I think I napped for a couple of hours around 10 PM. Must have been the large piece of layered chocolate cake I ate at midnight -- my it was good, picked it up at Metropolitan Bakery this afternoon as I was running around assembling documentation to my M.A.W.D (Medical Assistance for Workers with Disabilities, via the State Dept. of Public Health) which covers the 20% that Medicare doesn't pay. They force me to fill out renewal forms every fucking six months. It's labor intensive as it involves so many forms and, of course, I don't have a copier at home so I have to assemble everything and traipse up to a print shop downtown.

And to top it off, it's finally time to apply for a Pennsylvania driver's license. You're supposed to get one no later than after moving here for 2 months, and i've now lived here for 7 months and 4 months :( LOL... so I've had to be inventive and get my landlord to draft a lease saying I just moved here on 1 February. I have to endure the DMV on Monday with yet more forms, but I think there's no way for them to know I've lived here that long. My New York State drivers license expired six weeks ago. Though it's not like I drive since I don't even own a car, nor have I now for 24 years.

Sunrise is at 7:08 AM -- should I stay up another hour and watch the sun come up, and possibly brew a large pot of coffee. I suppose I can sleep during the afternoon.

PS: I'm watching non-stop Hitler/Nazi documentaries because that's all that is on TV at this hour.

PPS: I've now making 40 oz. of top shelf El Gavilan Ecuadorian organic coffee
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Growler

Re: oh, that fabulous insomnia
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 07:07:20 am »
40 oz of coffee?!!..what are you going to do with that much coffee, give yourself an enema? No wonder you're not sleeping...time to switch to decaf sweetie.

GROWLER
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:13:09 am by Growler »
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 08:49:10 am »
Well, that's four (quite large) servings/cups -- I normally consume three cups of coffee each day, or 30 ounces.

I've also now scrubbed all wooden furniture with lemon oil, cleaned the kitchen fully, and am now disinfecting the toilet.

For your pleasure, I present a photo of today's sunrise, which wasn't all that spectacular though you can see a sliver of the moon up in the sky -- this view is looking east towards New Jersey.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:56:06 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 09:28:25 am »
For some reason, whether it's someone I knew who moved to PA or something else, I really don't think the DMV plays hardball with the licensure within two months of a move. Before you get a falsely dated lease, did you call the DMV to ask anonymously?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 09:45:44 am »
For some reason, whether it's someone I knew who moved to PA or something else, I really don't think the DMV plays hardball with the licensure within two months of a move. Before you get a falsely dated lease, did you call the DMV to ask anonymously?

I'm not sure what you mean -- are you implying they don't really bother looking at all of my documentation or do you mean they will play hardball. I mean how can they tell that I've lived here that long? My new lease is dated 2/1/12 (and it's not fake -- my landlord raised my rent a few months ago so I had him make a new lease and date for that date) and my utility bill is for this current month. Otherwise I think it's just showing them my passport and/or birth certificate (I have both) and then surrendering my old, expired NYC license (which is OK as long as it's not been expired six months)

Extra credit -- a pictar of my morning pills while I'm listening to "Winter Garden" by Eraldo Bernocchi, Harold Budd, and Robin Guthrie

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 10:08:10 am »
Your pills look like a bowl of Lucky Charms breakfast cereal.  Where's the milk?  I see a fish oil pill.  And I suspect the blue one is Truvada.  I'm not sure about the others.  Which one is the klonnie?

Sorry to hear you are having insomnia troubles -- there are few things as frustrating.
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 10:12:28 am »
The three pills near the middle look like that might have a chocolatey taste (Oreo, perhaps?).

There must be something in the air; my insomnia did a number on me last night.  I finally fell asleep at 4:30 and was wide awake before 8:00.  I'm gonna be in a crabby mood all day.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 10:22:47 am »
Your pills look like a bowl of Lucky Charms breakfast cereal.  Where's the milk?  I see a fish oil pill.  And I suspect the blue one is Truvada.  I'm not sure about the others.  Which one is the klonnie?

Sorry to hear you are having insomnia troubles -- there are few things as frustrating.

THERE IS NO KLONNIE!!! -- I got that refill last Tuesday and did all 60 mg by Thursday, 20mg/day gives you a sublime high :) I am mostly functional now, except for no sleep last night. The pills are: Prezista w/Norvir booster, Isentress, Truvada, Diovan (for blood pressure), one fish oil tablet, 3 pancreatic enzyme (Creon) pills, 3 loperamide and 2 Jarro-Dophilus pro-biotics (since I was just on a 5-day course of anti-biotics after my septoplasy/turbonectomy surgery 2 weeks ago. Gotta clear up my small intestines!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 10:29:58 am »
Nice cheery bowl, Ms. P.

Hope you're zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing out by now.
Andy Velez

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 10:40:43 am »
Insomnia sucks . I have about 3 days a week when I cant sleep or wake up in the middle of the night . I used to get stressed out over it but since I'm not working now I just sleep when I can . It still interferes if I make plans to do something and find myself to tired to enjoy it .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 10:49:01 am »
This should really be in the Nutrition: Wumpette Style but here goes:

2 fried eggs, sunny side up (Lancaster County farm fresh, naturally), seared country ham with sauteed mushrooms with truffle oil, whole grain toast with fig jam, and a bowl of sigi's Icelandic Skyr, pomegranate & passion fruit flavor.

I don't know if I can actually eat all of this -- you know how I eat like a bird so that I fit in my 29" Diors.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 10:51:46 am »
Insomnia sucks . I have about 3 days a week when I cant sleep or wake up in the middle of the night . I used to get stressed out over it but since I'm not working now I just sleep when I can . It still interferes if I make plans to do something and find myself to tired to enjoy it .

I think I'm going to insist to my doctor that he give me a prescription for Ambien XR next visit with him -- the insomnia is definitely getting worse.

I BLAME THE MEDS but seriously it is a known side effect of Isentress.

Currently listening to Winter Garden by Eraldo Bernocchi, Harold Budd, and Robin Guthrie
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 10:54:02 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2012, 10:56:14 am »
Trazodone (traz' oh done) works wonders ,  Trazodone is in a class of medications called serotonin modulators. It works by increasing the amount of serotonin, a natural substance in the brain that helps maintain mental balance...

My ID Doctor says it's NOT habit forming and is way better than any benzo as it's not a narcotic

It gives me a raging hard-on all night long, but puts me to sleep very fast  ;)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2012, 10:57:05 am »
I think I'm going to insist to my doctor that he give me a prescription for Ambien XR next visit with him -- the insomnia is definitely getting worse.

Currently listening to Winter Garden by Eraldo Bernocchi, Harold Budd, and Robin Guthrie

I blame Atripla ... My docs refuse to change my HIV meds so yeah , next doc visit I will insist on something to help me sleep also . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2012, 11:00:38 am »
Trazodone

I used to take Trazodone but it got to where I couldnt sleep or would still wake up and if that happened I would be extremly disorientated and agitated ,  far worse than insomnia .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Gary S

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 11:06:47 am »
I never had insomnia issues until I started on Isentress. Just one of the lucky 3-4% I guess

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 11:14:56 am »
I'm not sure what you mean -- are you implying they don't really bother looking at all of my documentation or do you mean they will play hardball. I mean how can they tell that I've lived here that long? My new lease is dated 2/1/12 (and it's not fake -- my landlord raised my rent a few months ago so I had him make a new lease and date for that date) and my utility bill is for this current month. Otherwise I think it's just showing them my passport and/or birth certificate (I have both) and then surrendering my old, expired NYC license (which is OK as long as it's not been expired six months)

Hi -- This is what I meant --"are you implying they don't really bother looking at all of my documentation" that's why I said I recall they don't play hardball AND the documentation they require is sufficient. You noted in your first post that you "got inventive" which I why I commented on not needing to falsify a new start date on the lease. The DMV deals with so much crap they're not going to be trying to verify how long you've lived in PA. Plus, the fact that you don't drive means you can tell them you don't even have a car (I'm assuming that's so.)  I found this post funny because I always thought you lived in PA!! Em

Offline denb45

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 11:15:41 am »
I never had insomnia issues until I started on Isentress. Just one of the lucky 3-4% I guess

I never had  insomnia issues the Trazodone was subscribed as a replacement for the benzo's
 I was on for 8 yrs. for my Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - PTSD
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 11:26:36 am »
Trazodone (traz' oh done) works wonders ,  Trazodone is in a class of medications called serotonin modulators. It works by increasing the amount of serotonin, a natural substance in the brain that helps maintain mental balance...

My ID Doctor says it's NOT habit forming and is way better than any benzo as it's not a narcotic

Do you have any high blood pressure? That med isn't recommended if you do.

edit and linky: Trazodone may cause painful, long lasting erections in males. In some cases emergency and/or surgical treatment has been required and, in some of these cases, permanent damage has occurred. Talk to your doctor about the risk of taking trazodone.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:31:03 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 11:29:05 am »
Hi -- This is what I meant --"are you implying they don't really bother looking at all of my documentation" that's why I said I recall they don't play hardball AND the documentation they require is sufficient. You noted in your first post that you "got inventive" which I why I commented on not needing to falsify a new start date on the lease. The DMV deals with so much crap they're not going to be trying to verify how long you've lived in PA. Plus, the fact that you don't drive means you can tell them you don't even have a car (I'm assuming that's so.)  I found this post funny because I always thought you lived in PA!! Em

Cool, hopefully it won't be such a hassle -- and you can imagine PennDot in downtown Philly. Maybe going on Monday afternoon won't be too crowded.

Offline Growler

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 11:38:06 am »
Damn I think your insomnia is contagious....it's 2:30am and I'm still trying to get to sleep. Of course it wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that yesterday was St Patricks day and now every guy with a skin full of Guiness is using the bush next to me as his personal piss trough!
Sigh, time to move.

GROWLER
PS can I have one of the orange pills,  they look pretty
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 11:38:22 am »
Miss P .... When I moved to California I only had a very limited time to get me license . The thing was to only tell them that I moved there within that window period , it worked fine and they didn't check . Hopefully like Em . said you will be fine . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline denb45

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 11:44:18 am »
Do you have any high blood pressure? That med isn't recommended if you do.

edit and linky: Trazodone may cause painful, long lasting erections in males. In some cases emergency and/or surgical treatment has been required and, in some of these cases, permanent damage has occurred. Talk to your doctor about the risk of taking trazodone.

No, I don't have high blood pressure or heart disease, I eat right & work out and I'm height & weight proportioned , It was high about 13 to 15 yrs ago, but now we have better AVRs the early PI's were the culprit back then  ;)

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 11:52:15 am »
I guess this is not the time so say I slept quite well last night.

Ooooh!  I just felt a chill from what I believe is a frigid fierce top side eye stare from Ms. P!

Seriously, Ms. P. I hope you get your 40,000 restful winks next round by midnight and past.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 11:54:58 am by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 12:57:22 pm »
I too had a bit of insomnia last night. I woke up around 2am and couldnt get back to sleep so I turned on TV and watched a show about Aliens contacting us.

I cannot sleep without pills. I use Trazadone which is great to put me to sleep but often it wears off a few hours later and I wake up too early.

I've also now scrubbed all wooden furniture with lemon oil, cleaned the kitchen fully, and am now disinfecting the toilet.

I dated a guy who had horrible bouts of insomnia and would get up and start cleaning int he middle of the night. Even going as far as swiffering the bedroom with a flashlight and tucking the sheets in on the bed that I was sleeping in. Many a night I would wake up smelling Pine Sol and knew he was cleaning again.

This should really be in the Nutrition: Wumpette Style but here goes:

This looks scrumptious. You only need some fresh fruit and it would be perfect.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 01:42:13 pm »
Miss P .... When I moved to California I only had a very limited time to get me license . The thing was to only tell them that I moved there within that window period , it worked fine and they didn't check . Hopefully like Em . said you will be fine . 

I told you folks -- my landlord made me a lease that clearly states I moved into this apartment on Feb. 1, so I'm in the clear with their 2 month rule. What is so stupid about this rule is that they also want a utility bill proving the address, but I had to wait another month for that or it would look like I'd been billed for electricity in January, before the new lease took effect.

It's all really a dumb rule. I swear I don't recall it being so hard when I moved to NYC but then again that was over 20 years ago.

I'm not worried at all -- I think I have everything covered.

Oh, and get this -- in Pennsylvania you have to renew your license every four years and the fee is $29.50. So absurd -- in NYC you renewed once a decade for about the same price.

And what's also caused my stress to go way, way up is that I'm also at my 6-month renewal for my Medical Assistance crap, which I mentioned earlier. They mail the forms out post dated on March 2, but I didn't get until the 8th because I was stuck up in my apartment due to that surgery. The forms have to be in their possession on the 19th -- not postmarked, but in their greedy hands. And it's like a 6 page form to fill out, plus like seven pieces of documentation which I had to gather together and take somewhere and have them scanned.

They really need to make this process easier -- can you imagine if I had to do it directly after foot surgery or something?

Offline denb45

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 02:11:49 pm »
So  why do you need a drivers license? you don't drive or operate any motor vehicle, you don't even own one, and you stated in previous threads that you have ample public transportation (witch seems to be very good where you live)...I'm I missing something here, why can't you just get a Penn State DMV ID Card?

When I 1st moved to New Mexico, they just looked @ my California drivers license ( too see if it was still valid)
and issued me a NM drivers license right there on-the-spot, after they took my ugly mug pictar ,

it cost 12 bucks for 4 yrs. and it's up fro renewal this DEC 2012, hope I pass the eye-test for it this NOV  ::)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 02:13:54 pm by denb45 »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2012, 02:42:52 pm »

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2012, 08:53:20 pm »
They force me to fill out renewal forms every fucking six months. It's labor intensive as it involves so many forms and, of course, I don't have a copier at home so I have to assemble everything and traipse up to a print shop downtown.

Welcome to my world.  I've been having to renew every 6 months just to get my regular ADAP pills.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 09:36:29 pm »
Welcome to my world.  I've been having to renew every 6 months just to get my regular ADAP pills.

And they wonder why do many people fall out of treatment -- can you imagine being a homeless person and having to do this bullshit? Of course they stop taking meds and going to their doctors.

Offline drewm

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2012, 11:15:57 pm »
Renewing every 6 months is a pain in the ass. The girl who does the certification always asks if anything has changed? I'm like, "really"? "I'm not dead." I'm not sure why the need for the six month re-certification.
Diagnosed in  May of 2010 with teh AIDS.

PCP Pneumonia . CD4 8 . VL 500,000

TRIUMEQ - VALTREX -  FLUOXETINE - FENOFIBRATE - PRAVASTATIN - CIALIS

Numbers consistent since 12/2010 - VL has remained undetectable and CD4 is anywhere from 275-325

Offline drewm

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2012, 11:18:33 pm »

Nice upside indeed!  :P
Diagnosed in  May of 2010 with teh AIDS.

PCP Pneumonia . CD4 8 . VL 500,000

TRIUMEQ - VALTREX -  FLUOXETINE - FENOFIBRATE - PRAVASTATIN - CIALIS

Numbers consistent since 12/2010 - VL has remained undetectable and CD4 is anywhere from 275-325

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2012, 08:57:59 am »
And they wonder why do many people fall out of treatment -- can you imagine being a homeless person and having to do this bullshit? Of course they stop taking meds and going to their doctors.

Absolutely.  I don't really think there is any "wonder" about it.  That is the unspoken endgame of it all.  It's designed to try to weed people out - especially those considered rather "useless" by society at large.  You have people who have literacy problems with the paperwork, AND you have to get to a notary somewhere to get it stamped in a few places.  Last time I did it, that was about $3 a pop times two.  $6 can mean a lot to someone with nothing or next to it...not to mention the travel hurdles to get to the nearest labor department and the notary.  Without a car, that will require bus fare as well....and a whole day of travel, easily.  Heck - just whizzing around in my car, it takes a good afternoon to get it all in...and that's me racing around in lickety split mode.

It's really horrid.  They keep requiring more and more every six months, and if you travel around all day and forget any one piece of the process, the pill supply stops totally and immediately.  Heck....just miss getting in during your designated renewal month will now get you booted and wait listed in Georgia.

Sorry to sidetrack the thread a bit with this rant, but this is one of my button spots.  It's so obvious that the intention is to have people fall out of the system, die and then no longer be a financial burden.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2012, 09:33:28 am »

Be careful with Ambien. I had to stop taking it because I was sleep walking and driving! One morning I woke up and when I opened the fridge I had three Budlight tall boys, opened, but full in there. I've never bought a tall boy in my life. I thought maybe someone had come over the night before and left them. When I went out to the car to go to work I found one of my house shoes wedged under the gas pedal. It reminded me of my days of getting cracked out and trying to piece together what I had done the night before. I had no clue of what I did, but I knew it involved driving. When I went to work one of the kids that lives in my hood asked me if I remembered seeing him the night before at the KwikCheck? I said no, but thought oh shit what the fuck did I do? I did ask him, please tell me I had clothes on, and he did say that I did. So obviously I'd got up, drove to the KwikCheck, bought three tall boys and made it home without killing someone or going to jail. I ain't popped an Ambien since.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2012, 09:49:15 am »
Be careful with Ambien. I had to stop taking it because I was sleep walking and driving! One morning I woke up and when I opened the fridge I had three Budlight tall boys, opened, but full in there. I've never bought a tall boy in my life. I thought maybe someone had come over the night before and left them. When I went out to the car to go to work I found one of my house shoes wedged under the gas pedal. It reminded me of my days of getting cracked out and trying to piece together what I had done the night before. I had no clue of what I did, but I knew it involved driving. When I went to work one of the kids that lives in my hood asked me if I remembered seeing him the night before at the KwikCheck? I said no, but thought oh shit what the fuck did I do? I did ask him, please tell me I had clothes on, and he did say that I did. So obviously I'd got up, drove to the KwikCheck, bought three tall boys and made it home without killing someone or going to jail. I ain't popped an Ambien since.

I prefer Sonata.  Same chemical family as Ambien, but not as potentially sketchy.  I have lots of trouble with insomnia.  It occurs frequently and has for years.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2012, 11:23:05 am »
Well, first of all I slept really well last night. I think I slept a couple hours on the sofa, then moved into my proper bed for the rest of the night and didn't get up until 9 AM, so I must have had 10 hours of sleep. But generally lately I've been only getting 5 hours of sleep on average, which isn't ideal. Of course, since my sleep apnea issue isn't resolved yet it's hard for me to gauge what's going on in terms of quality. I've really been hesitant to dive into the sleep pill scene -- I'm not working so if I have to cat nap during the days I just do so for a couple of hours, but then that naturally effects day time things that I have to get done (like filling out endless forms so that I can have HIV pills and a driver's license!)

But should this keep up I will have a proper discussion with my HIV doctor, though I don't see him again until mid-May. But if things get dicey he's good with email and would sort something out for me before that time. He gives me VIP treatment.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2012, 04:56:23 pm »
I've had insomnia for the last two years.  Every night I'm up at least 4 times, for about 1/2 hour - 45 minutes at a time.  I can't take Trazadone-developed tolerance to that.  My doctor prescribed Rozerem but I won't take that due to the reason Dachs talked about. 

I hate all those fricking forms.  Here in Hoosierville, we have a high risk insurance we get clients on that can't get Medicaid, nor have insurance through work.  The trick is to get our African clients on, (also to accomplish re-certs once a year).  A person has to prove residency, and income.  And there are only few forms that are acceptable.  Last Friday I had to have a girl come in and fill out tax forms that won't get sent in, where she could claim her mother as a dependent (to prove residency and income).  Her mother is African and has no ID (and no SS number), and no way can prove income.  Now that's tricky.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2012, 07:26:12 pm »
To get what I have, which is called Medical Assistance for Worker's with Disabilities (MAWD -- do they have this in other states?) I have to have my parent's say that they "hire" me for menial work at a certain payment. Basically my case worker had them make up a form on letterhead saying that they pay me $25 each month to work on their computer problems. So every six months I attach that as proof that I work, then I also have to prove residency with a utility bill, copy my SSD benefit letter, and copy my Medicare card, driver's license and/or passport, bank statement, medical expense bills, and child support if I had any. Then there's also a five page form where they ask you routine questions.

But the worst is that not only is this done every six months, but you get the forms at the beginning of the second week of the month and then have to have them turned in 10 days later. And I don't mean postmarked 10 days later -- they must be AT THEIR OFFICES by then. So basically if you plan on mailing it you have to fill this out immediately. If I had a copier at home I could do it, but I don't. I have to make .pdf files of all the documentation, then burn it on a CD disk, and then take it to a print shop and have copies made. And now tomorrow morning I have to walk the damn form to their office.

I'm not complaining too much this time because I need to go get my Pennsylvania driver's license tomorrow too and that's two blocks from the other office where I take my forms, but seriously it would make so much more sense to just do this recertification once a year, not every six months. I can't imagine it's cost effective to do it this often.

I remember back in the day when I first went on ADAP in New York they NEVER sent you forms to recertify. I know that they do so now, but in the 90's they never did.

I guess they'll insist on drug testing me next. That's the new trend you know, thanks to Repiglicans.

Offline denb45

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2012, 07:43:00 pm »
To get what I have, which is called Medical Assistance for Worker's with Disabilities (MAWD -- do they have this in other states?

Daymm miss P, I have to do the 6 month thingy with my State Risk-Pool-Ins, to get my AVRs that are formulary but that's about it for me.....

my case worker & I have this joke we do with each other when he always ask me...
"Is there anything else I can do for you"  he laughs and tells me, well you know I have to ask you this dumb question, so just play along Dennis  ;)

Damm I wish all my client's were as easy as you, you never need a dam thing, then he laughs, and I'm out-the-door till next time, my ASO does all the paper work, all i do is just add my 2 cents and a few comments in a few blocks, easy peasy stuff  :D

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2012, 10:07:50 pm »
Miss P,

I remembered my sister who because of her work schedule had to wind down every night and get sleep was told to use Benadryl by her doc.

I called her tonight to confirm this and she said ONE tablet only -- two could make her hyper. Take it 1/2 hour before you intend/want to be asleep and then set that in motion---get ready for bed, pull away from the computer, bookreading, TV, etc.

She's been doing this successfully for years to get to sleep.

Em

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2012, 04:48:14 am »
To get what I have, which is called Medical Assistance for Worker's with Disabilities (MAWD -- do they have this in other states?)

Yes.  I get Med Works here in Indiana, which is Medicaid for working disabled.  However, I do have to pay a premium every month, which is based on a person's pay.  But it's always active so I don't have to worry about meeting a spend-down.

The difference is, I only have to re-certify once a year instead of every six months.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2012, 11:39:45 am »
Yes.  I get Med Works here in Indiana, which is Medicaid for working disabled.  However, I do have to pay a premium every month, which is based on a person's pay.  But it's always active so I don't have to worry about meeting a spend-down.

The difference is, I only have to re-certify once a year instead of every six months.

Oh yes, I have to pay a premium of $93/month. And I wish I'd known about it years ago. My case manager never informed me of this option until I began having my acute foot issues a year ago. Not having that coverage, or rather not knowing of the option, prevented me from seeing specialists for years. And yes, I met with my case manager to know my options way before all of that and this never came up. Not to mention my case manager is the "head supervisory" person of the 5-person case management staff of my HIV clinic, and said clinic is the largest one in Philadelphia.

Otherwise she's great...

MAWD has been covering everything for the most part, though I did recently receive a couple of lab invoices which is strange because I haven't ever for anything else. I think they neglected to recognize my secondary insurance coverage so I sent the forms back in. Hopefully I won't get hit up again.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2012, 08:47:27 pm »
Do we get to know how things went today?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2012, 08:56:01 pm »
Hmmm... yesterday I had a nap of a couple hours in the evening, then didn't sleep until 3 AM and woke up around 8 AM.

Otherwise I got my MAWD recertification turned in, and the lady looked at me quizzically and said I could have just mailed it. Of course, that's not what the instructions say but good to know in the future. I got the feeling that they don't immediately yank you out of the program unless you're exceptionally negligent, both with the monthly payment and these forms.

Then I went to do my driver's license and the toothless woman at the front desk scoffed at me and said "We don't do out-of-state license transfers on Mondays, come back tomorrow!" Well gee, thanks!

I can't wait for this week to be over -- license tomorrow, dentist the next day, anal doctor the following day, then my therapist on Friday. Next week I only have one medical appointment -- hooray!

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2012, 10:36:58 pm »
Then I went to do my driver's license and the toothless woman at the front desk scoffed at me and said "We don't do out-of-state license transfers on Mondays, come back tomorrow!" Well gee, thanks!

WTF?  What does the day of the week have to do with it?  I think she was just trying to get rid of you.  You'd be hard-pressed to convince me that there is any logical reason for this kind of scheduling.
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2012, 11:51:46 pm »
WTF?  What does the day of the week have to do with it?  I think she was just trying to get rid of you.  You'd be hard-pressed to convince me that there is any logical reason for this kind of scheduling.

Agreed. Was it posted anywhere?  I went online earlier this evening to see if the Philly area listed their hours and any special notations. Could find jack.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2012, 12:43:56 pm »
When I looked closer on line it does say it's closed on Monday, at least for that particular service. The actual office space was open and people were doing something but what I don't know.

So anyway, I'm now off to try it again. I'm going to go to the PennDOT office over on the Delaware River instead of the one downtown, so I get to take the fabulous #23 crosstown bus instead of the subway. But on the upside I'll also be right across the street from Walmart, Target, Home Depot and Ikea! And there's a Burger King across from the PennDOT office as well. There's a Chick-Fil-A too but that's strictly verboten for cocksuckers, at least those of us with a strict moral compass (that precludes Wumpy).

ps: I slept really well last night, at least 9 hours. I didn't even wake up to pee.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2012, 01:09:41 pm »
ps: I slept really well last night, at least 9 hours. I didn't even wake up to pee.

Thank god for those depends !
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline denb45

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2012, 03:09:30 pm »
Thank god for those depends !

"giggles"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2012, 05:38:21 pm »
I don't usually wake up to urinate like the rest of you dementia-rattled elderly AIDS patients.

I have a friend who gets up 3-4 times every night, and has to do all of that with taking off and putting back on a CPAP mask.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.