Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:00:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 377
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 340
Total: 343

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Schappelle Corby A.K.A. Ganja Queen  (Read 7870 times)

Offline Snowangel

Schappelle Corby A.K.A. Ganja Queen
« on: July 01, 2008, 11:06:08 am »
Last night I watched the documentary " Ganja Queen" on HBO.  I was wondering if anyone has seen or heard anything more about this women that has been accused of bringing pot into Bali in her boogey board bag and was sentenced to 20 yrs. I know her appeals have been denied but this happened back in 2004, I was wondering if anything else has happened or what you guys thought of the whole thing.

Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
Re: Schappelle Corby A.K.A. Ganja Queen
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 11:12:06 am »
Hi Snow

This is a very famous case here in Australia. She was very recently just admitted to hospital for severe depression. I'm not sure of the particulars of her case, but perhaps MTD or Fearless can fill us in.

Paul
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 11:14:18 am by OzPaul »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 12:15:39 pm »
I don't have HBO anymore. I cancelled it after "The Wire" finished its last season.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 07:35:20 pm »
Hey Snow,

Didn't see the show for lack of having HBO but would have watched if available.  When I was early twenties, I lived in Madrid.  There was a police force called La Guardia Seville, the most feared during the end of the Franco Regime.

There was rarely Marijuana in Spain during those years but Hashish from Turkey was easy to get and not too expensive.  I did know a flight crew who came back and forth from California and we traded.  The flight crews did not go through Customs, only a debriefing.

I remember a guy who bought a new car and took a road trip for Hashish.  They took his car apart and found 20 years incarceration.  I had another two friends who were also American and were raided in their apartment by La Guadia.  They were still under arrest when I left the country and do not know what ever happened to Vince and Armando.  I did go to Amnesty International and told them what I knew at the time and if they were sentenced to the usual 20 years, they would have been released 10 years ago.

There was also a friend who was smuggling pot from Mexico in the early 70's.  His body was found on a dirt road.

I knew another group of people who snuck in from Mexico.  They were at the border in TJ and they had a dog.  The dog had a name which translated from Spanish to English as "We Fuck".  The dog got loose the guys kept yelling "We Fuck", We Fuck", We Fuck".  The agents did not find anything in that truck.

Then there was the "Sailboat" weed from Columbia.  The story was the owner of the yacht installed some fake walls in the cabin which were filled with Columbian MJ.  Then (suddenly), off the Northern California coast at Noyo Harbor, the yacht caught fire and sank.  The crew managed to save some of the weed and since it had been partially burned, it was a deal.  god (I use the lower case "G" in god so I will not appear pretentious) that story sold weed but those in the know, knew... Mendocino County CAMP officers had completed a raid, took the plants to the burner of the Harwood sawmill in Willits, lit it and left.  The employees put out the fire and took the weed.

Speaking of the Harwood sawmill... That burner was used to destroy millions of dollars worth of marijuana for almost 20 years.  For every raid in Mendocino County, the weed was burned at Harwoods mill in Willits.  It was in a residential area with a school....  ;D  4th, 5th, and 6th Grade got contact stoned.

I saw my Mom the day before she died and she warned about a friend.  She said, "Remember, he is the one who shipped the pot from Maui".  yeah, Mom, and?  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 07:53:39 pm »
Ick, the drama of Schapelle and her low rent family.

Schapelle Corby was arrested in Bali after authorities discovered 4 kgs pot in her baggage. Indonesia (like many SE Asian nations) has incredibly severe laws regarding drug possession and trafficking. Convictions can and do result in the imposition of the death penalty.

When Schapelle was busted she claimed that she had no idea how the pot got into her baggage and that somebody else "must have like totally" put it there. Various hare-brained defenses were offered (including that Australian airport baggage handlers planted it on her) but the Indonesian courts were having none of it. The obvious answer was Schapelle was importing drugs into Bali to be sold through her slag of a sister's business to western holiday makers.

Her sister is named "Mercedes", so you just know we dealing with classy people.

Just as would happen in Australia she was convicted of possession and trafficking and was sentenced to 20 years in Kerobokan prison. Harsh? I don't think it was harsh enough. The fucking dumb cunt lost 4 kilos of primo weed. She deserves to be shot on principle.

But I digress. :)

White Australia was predictably outraged. How dare these little yellow savages (they're muslims don't ya know) ruin poor brave Schapelle's life, was the cry. Schapelle's perceived innocence had little to do with the facts of the case. And didn't we give the Indonesian government $1 Billion in aid after the tsunami killed 100,000 or so people?

That's gratitude for ya.

It didn't matter that her brother and late father were small time crooks with a history of drug convictions. As far as the tabloid readers of lower middle class Australia was concerned Schapelle was young, white had pretty green eyes and big tits and so she must be innocent.

Schapelle is merely one in a long conga line of fuckwits from Australia who simply don't seem to understand that SE Asian governments take an extremely dim view of drug trafficking. If they catch you they'll kill you or at the very least lock you in a roach infested dysentery sodden dungeon for the better part of your adult life.

MtD

Offline fearless

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 08:34:23 pm »
I don't know whether she did it or not, but I'm far less judgemental than MtD.

To say that "Just as would happen in Australia she was convicted of possession and trafficking and was sentenced to 20 years in Kerobokan prison" is utter crap. The judicial system and subsequent trial in Bali were a farce and the truth was never going to come out. The bags were never finger printed, the pot never tested to see where it was grown etc etc.

Also, I do not simply believe in the law of association Matty implies. Yes, her family are pretty rough and shady. As for a history of drug convictions - I think the father was convicted of possession of a small amount of pot in the 70's, and the brother or half brother a similar possession charge. That doesn't mean she did it.

Yes, many Australians have been caught in SE Asia trafficking drugs. The difference here was that she was trying to import them into Bali, and not trying to import them to Aus via SE Asia. The economics of it did not make sense - pot is a cheap as chips in Bali and I just cannot see how you could make any money trying to import relatively expensive Aussie pot into a country where it is a cheap as chips.

Also, she did not fit the profile of your typical drug importer. She is not an addict, had no major debts etc etc Just about every other Aussie drug mule that has been caught in SE Asia (usually with heroin) has been a user and in need of cash and trying to bring drugs through SE Asia and into Aus.

"White Australia was predictably outraged. How dare these little yellow savages (they're muslims don't ya know) ruin poor brave Schapelle's life, was the cry. Schapelle's perceived innocence had little to do with the facts of the case. And didn't we give the Indonesian government $1 Billion in aid after the tsunami killed 100,000 or so people?" I don't believe this was the case at all. Australians just didn't believe the scenario presented by the Indonesian authorities added up. You only need to look at reaction of Australians to the Bali 9 and that other Aussie chick who got off, to see that what you are saying was just not the case.

All that being said, there never has been a plausible explanation for how the drugs got into her boogie board. I doubt we will ever know the truth.

Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 08:41:04 pm »
Well we'll have to agree to disagree Little Steve.

Possession in Australia and Indonesia is a fairly straight forward thing. Cannabis was found in Schapelle's baggage, baggage which she identified as hers. That's the smoking gun. She could not offer an explanation for how it got there. If you or I were found in possession of any illegal drug in Australia and were unable to offer a lawful explanation for how we came to be in possession of it, we'd be convicted.

The plausible explanation is that she put them there,

Schapelle was in possession, she took illegal drugs across an international border and thus was done for trafficking.

The only thing farcical about her trial was the conduct of her defense. Her defense lawyer recently admitted that the baggage handler defense was concocted not to mention the quality of some of the witnesses she offered.

MtD

Offline fearless

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 09:19:19 pm »
Possession in Australia and Indonesia is a fairly straight forward thing. Cannabis was found in Schapelle's baggage, baggage which she identified as hers. That's the smoking gun. She could not offer an explanation for how it got there. If you or I were found in possession of any illegal drug in Australia and were unable to offer a lawful explanation for how we came to be in possession of it, we'd be convicted.

You are kidding me, aren't you. One difference is that the evidence would have been tested in Aus and not compromised. And there would have been a proper trial. You cannot serciously believe that the Indonesian justice system is equivalent to what she would have got in Australia.
I will also offer you the current 'Todd McKenney' case and his pants down defence as a demonstration that possession in Australia may not be as straight forward as you are making out. I guess the courts will decide on that one.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 09:47:41 pm »
I'm not joking. I honestly believe that Corby was guilty. I don't think she should have been convicted of anything because I also believe that drug prohibition is pointless and stupid, but that's beside the point. Corby broke the law in Indonesia and the predictable consequences followed.

I don't accept that the evidence was necessarily compromised either. Or if it was, it wasn't sufficient to render her conviction unsafe. But as I said, we'll have to disagree.

Todd's case is currently before the courts in New South Wales and is sub-judice. I have a view on that matter too, but I'll keep it to myself until the legal processes are concluded.

MtD

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 10:14:07 am »
Thanks, guys!

I was just wondering what other people thought of the outcome and if you thought she did it or not. The whole time I was watching the documentary I thought she was going to get off and then I was shocked when she got 20 years.  It seemed like the judges based everything on that she said it was her bag and that she knew it was marijuana after she "smelled" it and the customs agent didn't. That guy might want to consider getting a new job if he can't smell pot.   Not having a lock on your baggage seems to be a big chance to take now-a-days.
I go back and forth on if I think she did it or not.  I keep thinking she couldn't be stupid enough to try to smuggle it into a country that executes but then I guess the prospect of money can sometimes screw with peoples minds?
Snow

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 10:54:11 am »
I watched it the other night. I'll say if she's guilty then she is a damn good actress cause she had me convinced of her innocence. And didn't they say that the weed was sent out of 2 different airports on the same day? I think the Indonesian justice system is a bit shady. And considering that they had busted some baggage handlers smuggling coke in through the airports, I can see where her bag could've used to stash some good green in. I think it's sad that she got 20 years but it does beat the death sentence. She had two appeals that were denied so it seems to me that they are trying to make an example out of her.

And what about that call from the drug dealer? I was tripping on that one, calling to claim his innocence, uh, alrighty then.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 11:06:12 am »
And what about that call from the drug dealer? I was tripping on that one, calling to claim his innocence, uh, alrighty then.
That was funny wasn't it.

The cell phone guy probably didn't help much when he accused the prosecution of bribery either.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 11:03:59 pm »
That was funny wasn't it.

The cell phone guy probably didn't help much when he accused the prosecution of bribery either.

There was a few that wanted to kick his ass after that. ;)
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.