Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:35:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 355
Total: 356

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: On Turning 67  (Read 9376 times)

Offline bear60

On Turning 67
« on: April 07, 2011, 12:24:23 am »
Well. So much for anniversaries.
I left out that I was turning 67 today.  Not a great birthday.  Its not what you would call a milestone, nor is it very sexy...lol.
It was a sad day because I didnt get as card from my Mom.  She died a few years ago.  I was sad because I cant celebrate with Jim or Fred, or Bill, since they died recently.
But really, I'm OK.
Kurt and I went out for an early dinner...u know...4PM. I think its called the "blue plate special".  That way we didnt have to cook.  When we came home we played dominoes and I lost to Kurt big time.....as usual.
Oh and Paul, my former partner was cremeated today in 1995.
I remember turning 21 because I went to every bar and ordered a mixed drink.  Sadly I didnt have any idea what I was ordering,  Anything that sounded good.  I think this is why they say "Youth is wasted on the young".
When I turned 30...... I remember thinking that I had just joined the over 30 crowd..... which we used to refer to as "Anyone over 30 you cant trust" .  That had to do with the politics of 1974.
When I turned 40, I was happy because we all had jobs and houses and lovers. It was a great year...1984.  My partner was building his own business, and I was building my business. We took vacations to San Francisco. Life was a blur of men...so many men so little time. In San Francisco we were given Crisco and finger nail files as complimentary gifts.
Then 50....1994....everything was falling apart.  Paul was very ill, several friends had died.  I remember thinking " Maybe Philadelphia will be spared"....but no....our friends died quickly and in quick succession.
I joined a support group after nearly cutting off a finger while chopping onions. I was so undone by all that was happening that I couldnt chop onions. Had it not been for that support group I dont think I'd be here today.  
At 60......in 2004... I had regained my equilibrium and was involved with the new man of my life...Kurt.  I remember thinking...I am really really old now.  Yea, well, that only lasted a few weeks until I compared myself to those really really old.  I guess its true when they say 60 is the new 50. Still. 60 was a turning point.
65...in 2009...meant I could enroll in Medicare and reduce the amount each month I was paying for health insurance. I was paying as much as $850.00 per month.  Lots and lots of stress fell from my shoulders. But I also was dealing with the deaths of my Mom and Dad and of a few MORE good friends from HIV.
It was not a good year.  I started taking Celexa and stopped smoking with the help of Wellbutrin. ( What a mess)  
Its all there in the threads I wrote.
I retired at 66.
So, here we are 2011, and 67.  A nothing year. But I do feel that I need to make some decisions about the rest of my life...such as that is...maybe another 10 years?  What to do.  Write the book I never wrote?  Burn a few more bridges?
We'll see, cause the "fat lady ain't sung yet."  Which is why Kurt and I exchanged Tattoos.  We dont like jewelry.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 11:57:48 am by bear60 »
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: On Turning 67
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 12:26:49 am »
Happy Birthday, Joel :)
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 12:32:45 am »
WooHoo!  ;D Happy Birthday!

Even though 67 may not be some magical/milestone/sexy number, it's still a good number when it means your still kicking. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline bear60

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 12:59:08 am »
Aint it the truth Mikie.  I can still give a 25 year old a run for his life...so to speak.  Being a dirty old man is fun. 

Offline bear60

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 12:59:48 am »
Thanks David.  We need to get together for one of our cocktail hours.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 04:14:34 am »
Happy birthday, Joel. :-*
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 09:09:43 am »
Happy Birthday, kid. Many happy and healthy returns of the day.
Andy Velez

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 10:08:03 am »
Happy birthday Joel  :-* now if i can live 12 more yrs. I'll make it to 67, I hope  ;D but I'll take full retirement @ 66 and 4 months  ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 10:14:14 am by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline bear60

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 12:01:01 pm »
Dennis...after you retire...what do you want to do?

Offline denb45

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 12:14:21 pm »
Dennis...after you retire...what do you want to do?

Well Bob & I are semi- retired, and were the same age, so like me he'll get his full retirement @ 66 and 4 month since were were both 54, not sure, but hopefully we'll still be in some what good health to @ least enjoy it, and live out the rest of our lives  ;) who knows maybe we'll both buy 2 motorcycles, and go on a nation-wide-sexual
rampage that will go down in history, might as well go out with BANG  :D

Edited to add: on Sunday afternoon, bob & I took a ride up to meet Carl & Norm, (screen name Capt. Carl on here) shared a few laughs, and told a few tails, those guys are the nicest men you would ever want to meet, had a lotta fun ... it was nice to get out for a spell, we really enjoyed their good company GREAT GUYS ;)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:52:11 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 03:33:06 pm »
Happy Birthday Joel !   I am so glad you are still around to celebrate!

I can't give you advice on planning for the rest of your life....I cannot picture myself making it to 65....but anything's possible.....

Something fun (I think) would be to take up something new that you've always wanted to do, but never did....for me, that would be learning to play a violin (or any string instrument)....or taking a class in water color.....

MANY BIRTHDAY HUGS, and may you have many many more birthdays!

Alan   :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 06:21:28 pm »
Happy Birthday Joel!!! :)

Hope that there are many more for you to celebrate with Kurt...

CaptCarl
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline pozniceguy

• Niceguy Dallas
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2011, 06:29:23 pm »
Happy Birthday Joel   just hang in there  I am several years ahead of you and never a dull day,  lots of stuff keeps happening most of it good..   I dont count B.days anymore  just another day.... take pleasure in whatever the day brings...make a few open ended plans    ... spend time with friends , make new friends , volunteer for some local agency,  join  a club...... buy a NETFLIX subscription and watch old movies whenever you want...

I seldom have a dull or boring day.....expect to keep doing this for many more years...  if you are really adventurous  make a Bucket list  with a schedule and a budget   DO IT

Nick
remember the good times...honor the past but don't live there
Le stelle la notte sono grandie luminose, nel cuore profondo del Texas

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2011, 10:06:02 pm »
Happy You Being Born As A Truly Special Day Joel  !!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 07:38:44 am »
Happy Happies, hope the pair off you had a great day.
t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 08:04:53 am »

Happy belated birthday Joel!!  Ed and I will be having our 60th birthday's later in the year.  Ed is 8 weeks older, and says he's wiser, I just tell him I'm younger and cuter  ;D

Hope you had a good day---Ray  8)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline denb45

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 09:28:05 am »

Happy belated birthday Joel!!  Ed and I will be having our 60th birthday's later in the year.  Ed is 8 weeks older, and says he's wiser, I just tell him I'm younger and cuter  ;D

Hope you had a good day---Ray  8)

:D Ray Bob is 2 weeks younger than me, and I'm 2 weeks older, he's the wise and logical soul, and I'm more of the free spirited one, I keep telling him, don't worry after 17 yrs. this fall, I'm not going anywhere  :D

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 04:23:16 pm »
:D Ray Bob is 2 weeks younger than me, and I'm 2 weeks older, he's the wise and logical soul, and I'm more of the free spirited one, I keep telling him, don't worry after 17 yrs. this fall, I'm not going anywhere  :D

:) It's still kind of hard to believe we're both going to be "60" .  That number  just sounds so old. Both of us don't act our age.  :P   In the complex we live in, we're known as "The kids"   :D

As of this July, Ed and I we be together 31 years. We've known each other over half of our lives. ( no wonder why I know what he's thinking before he says it! ) It's like this constant telepathic communication between us !  :D

I also tell Ed that I am not going anywhere! 

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 04:33:25 pm »
Hey Joel,
Happy Birthday!
How about a few Birthday Swats™?  :o :o :o :o :o

It's been a while since we had any of those! ;)

We took vacations to San Francisco. Life was a blur of men...so many men so little time. In San Francisco we were given Crisco and finger nail files as complimentary gifts.

I think I had a nail file from the SF Eagle, or maybe it was The Brig. Memory fades, but flashes linger.

Hope you had a great day.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline bear60

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 04:33:51 pm »
Ray and Ed....I hope 60 is as good for you both as it was for me. You guys are all inspirations for the newbies.

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2011, 03:30:42 am »
Happy Birthday Joel!
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 11:47:36 am »
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.