Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:42:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 225
Total: 226

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: World Health Organization Admits Threat of Global AIDS Epidemic Is Over  (Read 4353 times)

Offline Iggy

The actual headline of a news report by Fox   

It refers to an Independent (UK) story:

Threat of world Aids pandemic among heterosexuals is over, report admits

A 25-year health campaign was misplaced outside the continent of Africa. But the disease still kills more than all wars and conflicts

By Jeremy Laurance
Sunday, 8 June 2008

A quarter of a century after the outbreak of Aids, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has accepted that the threat of a global heterosexual pandemic has disappeared.

In the first official admission that the universal prevention strategy promoted by the major Aids organisations may have been misdirected, Kevin de Cock, the head of the WHO's department of HIV/Aids said there will be no generalised epidemic of Aids in the heterosexual population outside Africa.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/health-news/threat-of-world-aids-pandemic-among-heterosexuals-is-over-report-admits-842478.html

I haven't read the original report yet, but even if the story is accurate about the WHO's findings, it's amazing to see the media spin this as if the world was lied to (e.g. "admits) about the risk to heterosexuals, as well as the idea that homosexuals aren't part of the general populace and shouldn't be included in any definition of an epidemic that concerns the rest of the world.

Am I surprised that conservative media would do this?  Nope, just saddened and frustrated, as well as worried becuase it certainly makes it easier for any heterosexuals to have backing to any sort of ignorant rationale that they don't have to worry about HIV.

Fox link: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,364345,00.html
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 10:36:40 am by Iggy »

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
Wow, this is just pure BS.  I can't believe they would say something like that!  Its far from over.   :(
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
The UK publication The Independent is not right wing.

I'm not sure that I see the big deal -- it's simply saying that in terms of a defined pandemic in heterosexuals the definition only applies in Africa, not elsewhere.  I guess it's just a semantics issue and maybe it's better not to wring your hands.  It doesn't mean that the international health community is going to take their ball and go home.  It just means that the once long held belief that what happened with heterosexuals in Africa would spread to Asia doesn't seem to be the case.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
It is  semantics, but unfortunately, it's semantics that lead straight people living outside Africa to believe they're not at risk.

I bought the hype, and look where it got me.  >:(

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Iggy

Philly,

That's good to know about the Independent, but I was speaking of Fox news (where the subject line is from) when I discussed the conservative media.  Sorry if my post wasn't clear.

As both you and Ann correctly state, this is of course a matter of semantics - A very apt way to look at this...of course I'm certain that you would agree that semantics that can be manipulated to reinforce an image that heterosexuals need not worry about HIV or that homosexuals are not part of a general population can border on dangerous.

I very much enjoy your image of "wringing" that you cite, but instead of wringing of hands as you suggest, I would call it a ringing of an alarm that to educators, prevention experts or anyone who is concerned about HIV that the though the battle is far from over, certain people, organizations and media think it is something that they need not worry about.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
Both of these articles just fly in the face of everything that we have been working so hard to end. Not only do either article actually quote or name the report, it only quotes on man, Dr. Kevin de Cock, through out.

After reading through the report, Dr. de Cock is not even quoted in the report at all.

The actual report can be found here.
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
The reporter in question has a questionable approach to HIV, as noted by this reader on his previous "Work", other newspapers gave more balanced reports on the WHO progress report. And >cough< since when was Africa on the moon...
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
The reporter in question has a questionable approach to HIV, as noted by this reader on his previous "Work", other newspapers gave more balanced reports on the WHO progress report. And >cough< since when was Africa on the moon...

Bingo!

We're not seeing the rampant spread of HIV globally among all demographics for a host of reasons -- condoms and the availability of HAART, at the top of the list -- but that shouldn't diminish the problem posed for those affected. I'm sure that the reporter has a special place in hell or a mental institution staked out already.

Cheers,
David
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.