Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:28:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773204
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 521
Total: 523

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Why I love America  (Read 15679 times)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: Why I love America
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2008, 04:08:46 pm »
Thanks for your quick witted humor, it made my day  ;) 
my southern sense of hospitality and gentility  ;) hopes there aren't hard feelings between us about this flag issue. I've had these discussions with many of my (Northern) "Yankee" friends and we've learned to agree to disagree.

Me, and my peers in my neighborhood and in my baptist high school (in NC of course) were always just taught that the Confederate flag was a symbol of the South during the war. It's displayed on monuments, state flags, and government building throughout the South (maybe the North should have crushed these displays a bit more during Reconstructionism, so they wouldn't be around today; but they were having enough problems with the 10% plan, carpetbaggers, taxing the south, finishing the job of abolishing slavery and giving voting rights to the ex-slaves). And heck, it just wouldn't be the South if nearly every pickup truck didn't have a shotgun and Rebel flag mounted in the back - and a 6-pack under the seat. ROFL  I really had never heard anyone mention it as a hate symbol until I moved North in the late 80s. I always just thought that people outside the South thought us dweebs for flying the flag of the loser.  ::)

However what has most struck me from this thread is how no one has mentioned the fact that our nation's greatest symbol -- the US flag -- may, in fact, cause angst in at least one group.  Remember, as we were trying to build and grow our own nation, we systematically uprooted and/or killed a huge number of Native Americans to do so.
hello fellow mike (there must be hundreds of us in the world. LOL)!

I thought I had seen a small comment but I can't seem to find it skimming back through the thread. For years I've watched foreigners burning the American Flag for the symbolism it represented to them. With the war in Iraq, I've often worried that we've created a whole new generation of people who will look upon the US Flag as a symbol of death and destruction and hate us for it.

In the end, the Nazi flag, the Confederate flag, and yes, even the US Flag are seen as hatfeul symbols to thousands throughout the world. (Not knowing much about the particulars of British history, I would imagine the Union Jack has a bad rep too. I know my ancestors here during the Revolutionary War didn't look fondly upon that flag. ;)  ;D ) I wouldn't be surprised if EVERY flag ever flown wasn't viewed by some portion of the population as a "hate symbol".
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
Re: Why I love America
« Reply #51 on: November 01, 2008, 06:14:31 pm »
leatherman        I really didn't have any issues around it, I just think it's kinda sad after 150 some odd yrs. that people cannot seem to just get-over-it, what DOES bother me is, the beat-downs, the violence against Blacks, Gays and YES some Whites, that went on and any other negative things that surrounds it's subject matter, but, that's just the ignorance in people, and I can only hope that this changes with time........my otherhalf is White, Republican, and Irish with steel blue eyes, and sometimes we disgree on a lot of things, but, we still can't keep our hands off other after 15yrs.  :P so, that cancels out a lot of the negativity, like I said before, "It's all good" ;D White , Black , Brown, Asian, Native American, I like it ALL
it's what America is made of  ;D
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 06:24:50 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.