Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:54:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772955
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 464
Total: 467

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Free cell phone service for disabled/medicaid/foodstamp recipients  (Read 36783 times)

Granny60

It has been very hard to see how many people in our local HIV/Aids  community do not have/ cannot afford phone service. I have found this service that provides free service for SSDI, Medicaid and foodstamp recipients in some states. I am very dissapointed that  we have never heard about it from any of the case managers. The minutes are limited and extra air time is not cheap,  but  this may provide a lifeline  to someone in need. Link is here:    https://www.safelinkwireless.com/EnrollmentPublic/Home.aspx   It is  illegal for more than one person to have  the service at the same address and you have to recertify  every year. I understand you can transfer an existing phone number to this plan.

Offline weasel

Re: Free cell phone service for disabled/medicaid/foodstamp recipients
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 09:26:45 pm »

This sounds like it could help out .

I know  people without  phone service .

Weasel
" Live and let Live "

Offline pacerintl

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 11:27:00 pm »
how bad do you really need another headache.    http://www.consumeraffairs.com/cell_phones/safelink_wireless.html

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 11:35:33 pm »
most local phone service (land line) providers offer "Lifeline" or "Link-Up" programs for cheap basic service to the elderly, disabled, and low-income
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Granny60

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 06:18:17 pm »
Actually, when it gets down to the nut cuttin,  there is not a single cell service in the country that there is not a bitch list . There is a land line service for disabled in our area, but there is a limit on the number of minutes long distance and limit to the number of long distance calls that you can make. Everyone I know has dropped it.  A few in our "group"  tried it but since their family lived halfway across the country  and their doctors  are 120 to 150 miles away,  they  ran out of long distance service before the month is up. Then the  phone is shut off except local and those minutes are also limited and  all you have is 911. If your doctor is far away at least you can call several times per month for prescription refills and appointments with the cell service.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 11:48:28 pm »
Its actually not a bad deal. I had Lifelink when I had a land line. When it works, it seems to work fine as a cell service. I no longer have a land line, and the cell version only offers 60 minutes a month (with rollover) which allows little more than an emergency phone, or to schedule doctors appointments, et al.

But far better than nothing, and free. So there is that.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Granny60

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 01:07:32 pm »
I got an email this morning from a guy that  got one of these and he is proud as punch. Now he can call his mom and doesn't have to bum a phone to call the doc.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 01:43:54 pm »
My ex (who is still a friend) has and it is his first cell phone - and he loves it.  He can actually get in touch with people if he is out and about -- (i.e. getting caught in rain waiting for bus, letting people know he is on his way, etc) - He still has home phone - but having the free cell gives him ability to stay in touch when not at home.  They are actually getting ready to have competition here from assurant and t-mobile.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 08:07:28 am »
i was interested in applying for this free phone service but they asked for my social security number and i just don't feel comfortable in giving this private information online!!

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 12:02:14 pm »
i was interested in applying for this free phone service but they asked for my social security number and i just don't feel comfortable in giving this private information online!!

That is absolutely your right. They also, of course, have the right to refuse you service. It is my understanding that the site is secure, and that the information is used so that a person's identity and qualifying conditions can be confirmed.

Perhaps you can do this through the mail, or over the phone if that is more comfortable for you.

As for me, if someone stole my identity, they would not get very far with my credit.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 12:23:39 pm »
Just get a MAGIC-JACK for 19.99 a yr. connect it to your PC's usb-port, and then, connect a phone, and it's done deal. it's not a cell-phone so, it's not portable, but still better than nothing at all, and the BAD NEWS
it will require a High-speed-internet-connection   ;)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 12:26:41 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 02:54:40 pm »
It is my understanding that the site is secure, and that the information is used so that a person's identity and qualifying conditions can be confirmed.
yeppers. ;) one can always tell whether a site is secured or not by the "lock" icon that will appear in the address bar at a secure site.

i just don't feel comfortable in giving this private information online!!
Plus this service is a government supported service - which already knows your SS#. This sort of information is needed from you to verify your identity. That way, as an example, I couldn't get a phone in your name since I don't know the matching SS#.

to be honest, in the way JK mentioned, if you're in the right income level to get this service there not much of a reason for anybody to be wanting to hack your identity anyway. :D Poverty is an excellent deterient to identity theft. LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

Granny60

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 05:50:34 pm »
 It has worked good for some  that I know that have the service. The most complaiint I have heard is when they  drop the phone on concrete and break it,  it takes a while to get a replacement.   I haven't looked for a long time,  but didn't it give you the option of putting in your medicaid number or food stamp number or something like that?   If you get either,  you are eligible;  besides,  it pisses off a lot of republicans that love to rant about the "Obama Phone"  and anything that will run their blood pressure up enough to explode an aneurysm  is worth a try. ;D
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 05:52:37 pm by Granny60 »

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 08:21:45 pm »
Just get a MAGIC-JACK for 19.99 a yr. connect it to your PC's usb-port, and then, connect a phone, and it's done deal. it's not a cell-phone so, it's not portable, but still better than nothing at all, and the BAD NEWS
it will require a High-speed-internet-connection   ;)

I had MagicJack for a year.  The price was right and I already had a high speed line.   But you also need a pretty fast processor, too.  I was using it on a single core hyper-threaded 2.8 G machine and the calls would drop (if I could hear them at all) and there was a long delay between when I dialed the number and when the computer did.  In the end, it wasn't worth it to me.  It might be different if you use it on a multi-core machine.
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 09:34:44 pm »
But you also need a pretty fast processor, too.
we still use MJ here; but it also has limitations on how much bandwidth is being eaten up by others on your network/provider. When someone streams a movie on one of the 4 networked PCs in the house, MJ (which runs on a generic little used "house" computer) connectivity suffers. Also we notice issues with delays, distortions and dropped calls from 4-10pm when the local cable provider network is having high usage. (this house computer also runs World Community Grid's FightAIDS@Home).

however it's a great alternative to use during the day when sitting on hold for hrs to SS, insurance companies, etc. by not eating up peak-hr billable cell phone mins. In our house with 2 retirees and their health issues, and me on diability recently moved into the state and calling social service agencies frequently this year, this first year of the MJ has been a good investment; but we're already debating on how useful MJ will be to us in the upcoming year.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.