Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:13:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 232
Total: 234

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: When did you test poz ?  (Read 39381 times)

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
When did you test poz ?
« on: July 29, 2006, 07:41:34 pm »
Hi everyone !!

In light of the new Forum titled 'I just tested poz'. I thought it might be insightful to tell others when you first tested positive.

I tested positive in 1985 while living in Southern Calif. It is believed by my doctors that I seroconverted in 81 while living in NYC. As many folks here know that was when the seeming ' bomb' went off. I have the blessed miracle of being what is termed a long term non progressor.

We all have are own stories  about our poz status. I'll look forward to hearing from other 'family' members about their journey.

in Peace and Love
Paul

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
Re: When did you test poz ?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2006, 08:00:27 pm »
tested poz in March 1987, then went into full-fledged 'denial' state of mind...until I could no longer avoid it, and received an AIDS diagnosis in Feb 1991 (MAC of the liver).   Lost 35 pounds, and it NEVER came back in the 'right places' .

PCP, sepsis, molluscum, bacterial endocarditis, bone marrow failure, crypto, blah blah blah......I stopped counting when blood transfusions went past # 50.....

It all seems like a ghoulish nightmare now....it comes back to me sometimes, at the weirdest times, and something can trigger a memory so vivid it brings tears to my eyes.  I have so much to be thankful for, there are no words for me to begin to tell you.

And emotional?? like a soap opera......I can cry over a photo, or even over a book cover....I guess 'coming back from the dark side' does that to you.

Thanks Paul, for jogging my foggy memory......
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline BooBoo

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2006, 08:11:49 pm »
I got my positive results during the first week of August 1992....so I will be coming up on my 14th anniversary with HIV.

The earliest that I could have been infected was September 1991 as I had tested negative in December 1991 (I could have still been in the window period at that point...not sure though).  I actually received those results on Christmas Eve, so the holidays were pretty fucking great that year!!!

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2006, 08:18:06 pm »
Spring of 2000. I think I caught "it" in 1999.

I let 5 years pass without treatment.  NOT RECOMMENDED - i.e. - Anyone not on meds reading this please realize not knowing your numbers/denial/living in a fantasy world are all very foolish things to do . Know your numbers as soon as you can and structure an action plan with your healthcare provider Your healthcare provider might recommend starting meds immediately OR recommend holding off on meds based on your CD4 count OR some other plan of action. Every body is unique and every case is different.

Started treatment Autumn 2005.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 03:07:30 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2006, 08:31:16 pm »
I was diagnosed at 20:33 hrs (8:33 pm) on May 3rd 2002 by my General Practitioner Lady Jane. It was a routine blood test that she performed because I'd reported risky sexual activities. I had 15 minutes of panic after which I pulled myself together and rang my drug dealer. ;D

The next three months were a bit of a blur.

Since we're talking to the newly diagnosed, I'd have to say I disagree with Alex (allopathicholisitc) about HIV treatments. They're important and need to be taken, but you don't have to rush in too quickly. They can be toxic and hard to take. You have to be prepared to take them properly. Most importantly, don't feel pushed or harrassed into doing something you're not ready to.

It's your health, nobody elses.

MtD

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2006, 09:09:27 pm »
I tested positive in July 2002 after my first test came back inconclusive...almost two years after David and I got together.
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 09:22:27 pm »
I tested positive on August 24, 2005 -- could possibly be almost a year already -- what a roller coaster it's been!!!???.  Not sure when the virus found me, but my last negative test was April 2001, when I applied for life insurance (making sure THAT bill gets paid first each month now.......)

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2006, 09:47:38 pm »
August 20, 2003. No meds to date.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 10:54:41 pm by emeraldize »

Offline Teresa

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2006, 10:19:44 pm »
Hubby....May 5, 2006
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Eldon

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2006, 10:43:16 pm »
Hello Paul, it is Eldon. I first tested positive in August of 1990. I can't forget that day when I was standing in the parking lot of my job when the guy....Steve from the Health Insurance Company told me point blank, flat out that I was HIV positive!

I immediately went into denial and said ther must be some mistake (as I had only one lover for (5) five years at the time), and I requested to be re-tested and the results had come back positive.The good news then was that they would still insure me only to find out a few years later Blue Cross/Blue Sheild dropped me because the premium was so high and I couldn't afford it.

I did not go on meds  immediately and I went on and lived my life. Recently, in Feb 2006 I went on meds as prescribed by my Doctor to supress the virus.

Offline ademas

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2006, 10:56:25 pm »
January '94.
It was no surprise, but it still took my breath away.
I can remember the week in '81 that I was so sick with the strangest mix of symptoms, and I lived in fear of the test for the next 13 years. 
After the initial shock of the immediate AIDS diagnosis, I felt an enormous sense of relief.  Who knew it would be easier to know, regardless of the prognosis at the time, than to live in constant fear of the unknown?

Offline AIDS2HIV

• www.aids2hiv.com
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2006, 11:23:12 pm »
Ive posted my story a few times, so without getting to deep into it.....

i was diagnosed positive on valentines day of 05, while waiting on the confirmatory tests i was hospitalized at deaths door, late stages of aids, OI's in full swing,etc That was the first day of a new life, a life everyone said i wouldnt have....

God Bless*
Its the future of Hiv Education, and Resources www.aids2hiv.com      Got Community?

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2006, 11:23:33 pm »
I was Diagnosed in September 2005, and my partner, October 2005.. I started on ARV's 6 months ago.  I am now coming up on 365 days of perpetual thinking about HIV/AIDS.  I have every hope to cut the thinking in half in year 2.   :-\

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2006, 11:27:58 pm »
Hey Paul,

I tested positive, around October 24th of 1985. Was infected around the 4th of July in 1985. Still have the original paper work from the Pinellas County health department on this. I guess some things I never threw away. Because I was never ill, I tested again at least 3 more times through the next 15 years, two more times at the Pinellas county health dpartment (north) and once in St. Petersburg. Always positive positive test results...

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline joemutt

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2006, 12:20:21 am »
6/22/97.
I had done a bloodtest because I was tired. I had asked to look for metals such as lead, living in Bangkok with it's pollution.
No said the dr. No metals. But you are hiv positive.
(Hadn't asked for that test, serious case of denial, I think  :-\)

I called my two boyfriends at the time, one chose to get tested ; negative, the other didn't. I didn't practise unsafe sex but with the guy from whom I acquired the virus. He has passed away in 1995. He was a wonderful guy.
I remember how I got infected, not using condoms during this torrid affair in 1992.
I think my bf's wanted to stay with me, but I got in a very agressive survival mode (or was it self hate  :( ) and within 2 years both were out of the picture.

I also got diagnosed as chronically depressed, actually that was a relief, I was able to name my demon. The depression is genetic (grandmother, father, sister) but also traumatic, since I was abused sexually and physically as a child, sometimes over a period of years. I remember 3 abusers and 5 molesters. I also started to adress that issue from 1997 on but slowly, and more thoroughly since August 2005. These things take time. I tell this here because in my case one lead to the other. The trifecta sexual abuse-depression-hiv contamination might deserve more research.

I feel I'm still isolated now but have started to reach out. January 8, 2006 : aidsmeds, Siang, Herman, Eirin. Also Ann, Andy and Aztecan have meant so much.
As for meds I jumped right into that as my cd4 s were low 200's and VL 500,000 and the dr. advised I get on them. 1997 was also the 1st year meds became re imbursed by social security in my country.

Now cd4 1440, 38%. My health is purrrfect. :-*
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 12:36:44 am by joemutt »

Offline libra11_dj

• what's so hard to love ?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2006, 01:36:34 am »
I find out late march 2006....now on meds and waiting for my first results after meds(august 9th) can't wait....I still remember calling Leo....my new 2 weeks boyfriend at that time...."everything will be OK...I loved u he said and I wanna be with u"...That was the last time I saw him. :-\ Edwin  my ex by then...was the only one who really support me and was there for me(he is HIVneg and didn't care)...he said was his chance to show me he loved me so much so after 2 months of dealing with waiting rooms..lab test, med side effects and crying rivers  :'(..we got back together...what a story huh Leo was ur lost,,,but I understood ur reasons. God bless u.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 01:39:29 am by libra11_dj »

Offline bluelove

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2006, 03:32:37 am »
Oct.8th 2002 at 11:30 am.

Two hours later l walked into a church to help my best friend through the funeral of his mother.

Those things will be forever linked in my mind.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2006, 03:55:17 am »
2002 or 2003, I can't remember now, I am sure it's in my medical notes.   I was not at all cut up about the news. It went back to work. I had to see the health adviser first though, who was good, but it was a little inconvenient time-wise cos I had an important meeting to make. Later I went home and told my partner and we immediately had the most amazing sex.  No condoms. Magic.  3 weeks later we compared genotypes.  The same virus as far as we could tell.  He had been HIV-positive since he was 16.
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2006, 03:57:38 am »
September 1988. No meds for the next 14 years because I "felt" fine.

Little did I know the big v was working its attack behind the scenes. Had a major collapse in 2002 with a viral load above 500,000. The little bugger had been spreading and eating white matter from my brain and spine too, causing me to progressively lose fine motor skills, balance, even clear speech toward the end. I was going into a mental fog as well.

I’ve been taking Kaletra/Combivir since then, and initially Septra too till I got my CD4s up enough to be out of danger of developing PCP pneumonia.
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2006, 04:46:43 am »
July 17th, 1987
My GP and collegefriend  called me and bluntly announced : there is a new disease out, AIDS, and you've got it.

Infection must have taken place early 80's in the States.

My naturopath adviced me not to take meds, so until 1995 I lived, worked and loved as if there was no HIV.
Then  suddenly Apocalypse struck. PCP , CD4 count of 17, viral load  of over 1.000.000 and total loss of energy.
I had to stop my job as flightattendant and came back from the other side.
Started meds, got all sort of side effects but finally resurfaced one year later.
Started to work in the fitness world.
Since April 2000 my husband and I run our own fitness/wellness/saunacenter.

We are in the final salesprocess of it now.
A new life is waiting for me.

At almost 51 I spent half my life with HIV. And I still learn new things everyday and plan my future.

Good luck to all of you and for the newbies....yes, there is a life after an HIV diagnosis.
Keep a close look at it and you will see many new roads in your life, some hard and bumpy and challenging, but some emotionally forfilling at a level most people will never ever reach.

Love

hermie :)

Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2006, 05:21:43 am »
Hey everybody

Thanks so much for your moving stories !!

We have all been through a myriad of experiences and come out as strong, kind and caring people.  My personal joy in being here at AM is that we are one big global family who share a  challenging diagnosis.
I'm looking forward to reading more accounts of how we cope, survive and about our inner strengths.

Cheers
Paul

Offline Trish

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2006, 09:43:37 am »
I tested poz in November 1989.  I tested the very next day after burying my husband who died of AIDS on October 28, 1989.

From the moment of my results I went into denial and chose not to seek medical attention until I got sick -- and that took 11 years to come... I was diagnosed with AIDS in April 2000 (cd4 - 187 and VL at 57,000 or 27,000 not sure, some of my medical records are missing,) at which time I started HAART.  Today, my cd4 is 918 (51%) and VL is undetectable.  The meds are doing there magic... thank goodness.
"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is buit."  Eleanor Roosevelt

jerry

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2006, 10:03:37 am »
I tested Poz in January 2005.

Offline ryeguy

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2006, 10:58:44 am »
I was notified on the telephone from a potential employer(Lufthansa)  that I would no longer be able to go to the flight attendant training program due to a positive hiv test. The flight doctor then urged me to seek immediate medical help. This was 27th Of Aug 2001. About two weeks later I broke up with my boyfriend of 5 years. Then the 11th of September...... man talk about 2 falling towers, those were mine.

Life is much better for me now. ;) :D ;D :-*

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2006, 11:12:26 am »
I tested positive October of 1990 about a week before my birthday :-\
I didn't actually begin any treatment for 10 years. This was only because of my lifestyle.
NOT RECOMMENDED!!
I was extremely ill when I finally began taking meds.
Really low CD4 count and a very high Viral Load.
I was unable to even realize how sick I was feeling because of the drinking and drugs.
I thank God that part of my life is OVER!
I began taking meds 6 years ago and I feel great!
Of course the change in lifestyle also helped tremendously!

Peace & love,
Kelly
POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline bear60

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2006, 11:38:59 am »
I tested poz in 1989.  I probably seroconverted in 1987. The hardest part of this whole experience has been loosing friends to AIDS.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2006, 11:43:48 am »
I was infected on August 21, 2005, around 3 a.m. Later that morning, freaking out a little, I thought of PEP; the guy I'd slept with assured me that he'd tested negative six weeks ago and that he was "clean." (Hate that use of the word.) He may not have been lying; it's entirely possible that he had seroconverted very recently.

Twenty-seven days later (September 16) I convinced the PA at the clinic to order a DNA Qualitative PCR, depite knowing the drawbacks of this test as a diagnostic tool; result came back positive on September 26.

For various reasons, I didn't get confirmatory antibody tests until January; EIA and WB positive on January 9.

First set of numbers, six months after infection (March 1 2006): CD4 757, 38%, VL 70 copies. Will get the second set of numbers (the results) tomorrow. Not on meds at present.

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2006, 11:53:25 am »
Hi Paul,

Thanks for posting this thread, honey.

One morning in June of 1992, I woke up after having dreamed that I was HIV+. The local Health Department's initial Elisha test came back 'indeterminate'. (I was sero-converting at that moment). A long month later, the State Lab confirmed my status with the Western Blot, on July 13th.

I just passed my 14 anniversary date, confounding the Public Health Nurse who had stared into my eyes as she stated: "You know you are going to die from AIDS, don't you?"

I did not believe her then, and I still don't.

There is life after diagnosis, folks, despite mis-information and fear. Education is the key, and support through venues like our 'cyber family' here is priceless.

All my best,

Zephyr
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline BassMan

• Gran Canaria 2006
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2006, 11:58:23 am »
December 20, 2002 during seroconversion illness. I *suspected* it, but didn't *expect* it, if that makes sense. What a Christmas present that was......
Diagnosed December 2002
CD4 810 VL 750,000

Started meds October 2004
CD4 405 VL >100,000

Latest Results: October 2009
CD4 888 38%, VL undetectable
on fosamprenavir/ritonavir & Truvada

VL undetectable since November 2005

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2006, 12:01:07 pm »
November 2005 for me, exposed in July of the same year.  Picked up Syphilis at the same time which I found the most uncomfortable aspect of the whole thing.  Didnt really have any sero-conversion illness apart from a few swollen glands in my groin but not sure if that was the syphilis as well.  Tested neg initially in August but then positive in November I went for a checkup.
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline Quarter Horse

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2006, 12:35:49 pm »
August 24, 2004...my mother died August 24 2005. This date is one that I will never forget.

Brian
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: IT GOES ON.

Robert Frost

Offline rocket

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2006, 01:01:40 pm »
I tested in April of this year,but I suspected i was in november.Im not on meds yet and im waiting for my second test after getting my baseline results.I never thought i would catch hiv until I found out the guy i had sex with three times had aids,and tb. :o :I thought it was cute how skinny he was at the time.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2006, 01:08:34 pm »
Brothers and Sisters,

Without wanting to sound proscriptive, I think it better not to lecture our newly diagnosed family members on when or when not to start treatments. It's a very personal thing and no-one should feel pressured either way. It would be better just to talk about our diagnoses and the things that came after.

Really I think it better not express a firm view on starting or not starting treatments in this thread. Let's allow each poz bod to raise that issue in her (or his) own way.

With love,

MtD
(Who struggles with this question)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2006, 01:23:49 pm »
Hey Paul, I believe I also seroconverted around '81 in NYC. Was that you downstairs at the Anvil?

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2006, 01:35:39 pm »
I graduated High school in 81 and was thinking about the Anvil???? chuckle?? ;D

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2006, 01:44:33 pm »
I was more of a St. Marks and Mineshaft kind of guy.  ;) J/k.
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Dennis

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2006, 02:08:24 pm »
December, 1991.  Started meds February 2003.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2006, 03:30:15 pm »
August 14, 1990.
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2006, 03:35:27 pm »
March 16th, 2006...a day that will live in infamy.

God that was a horrible day.  Even though it didn't come as a TOTAL shock, I didn't want to "know"...ya know.  I was kind of forced out of a state of denial.

At the end of the day, though, I'm glad I got the test done.  Now I can take care of myself the way I need to.  And just look at all of these fabulous people that have come into my life (everyone grab a mirror...yep, that's who I meant).

Thanks for being here

Shane
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline purplerain

• finally figured out the pic thing
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2006, 04:22:33 pm »
My last neg test was APRIL 2005 my first Poz test (rapid test) was on June 20th 2006 and the confirmation western blot on June 30th 2006

Offline schnitzer

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2006, 04:38:02 pm »
i tested poz when i was 16y/o.  back in april 2000..
i had my first gay experience not too long ago, maybe around december. and the guy fucked me without a condom and came inside.  we've been dating casually for a few months, and my friend suggests i get tested... bingo!

6 months out, and i'm already poz..  soo sadd..   
 i'm sure everybody has a sad story to tell.

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2006, 04:48:49 pm »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 05:48:20 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline gemini20

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2006, 05:08:53 pm »
September 11th 1991 - so I was actually 'celebrating' survival ten years later until world events took over!

Emma

Diagnosed 11th September 1991
Current CD4 count 484 (26%); viral load undetectable (December 2011).
Restarting boosted Prezista 08/04/11

Offline Lis

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2006, 06:40:31 pm »
1986... i guess that gives me 20 years with my friend HIV

lisbeth
poz 1986....

Offline jae3

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2006, 07:45:16 pm »
My poz test came back on my sons 14th birthday, May 25, 2005.
My last neg test was in July of 2003. I still have no idea who infected me other than my own stupidity!
Started meds in Feb of 2006.
Hook em' Horns!

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2006, 09:00:59 pm »
I tested poz in Nov 05

Offline fearless

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2006, 09:46:22 pm »
January 2004
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline DCGuy511

« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2006, 09:49:50 pm »
October 19, 2003.  My doctor called me on my mobile phone; I was pulling into the garage at work.  The next few minutes are a total blank. I remember finding myself on the top floor of the garage, not sure whether I should park. My doc asked me to come into his office, his schedule was packed but said that he really wanted to see me. I immediately called my ex.  When I got to my doctor’s office, he gave me a big hug and said that he was going to take care of me. I burst into tears. He had the nurse draw lots of blood.  He did his best to tell me that HIV is not necessarily fatal, that it is much more of a chronic, manageable disease than it was before. He must have hugged me 12 times.

When all of the blood work came back, my ex (who is my best friend) and I went to see my doc. He spent the entire afternoon with us, explaining how the virus works, the immune system, the particular strain I have, medication options, research, etc.  Usually it takes a few weeks to get an appointment with him and he gave me an entire afternoon.  God bless him. 

From the dates of my previous negative tests and my sexual history, we determined that I was infected in mid August 2003.  I had unsafe sex three times that summer. Two of my partners are still HIV- to this day.  One I have not spoken to since we slept together.  I know he infected me. I got confirmation of this when I picked up my first Kaletra prescription and remembered seeing that same bottle on the counter in his hotel bathroom.
Steve
Infected/Diagnosed Fall 2003
"No Man Is An Island" - J Donne

Offline thirtysomething

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2006, 10:26:51 pm »
March 14th, 2006.

March 7th, indeterminate result
March 9th, Negative
March 10th, Positive (that 20 mins test)
March 14th, confirmed Elisa / Western Blot test

sucks!

No meds yet and hope don't need them for a long time.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2006, 12:22:22 am »
I won't go into the gory details, because I have already and I don't want to bore everyone.

But, as for dates:

Tested positive July 1985.

Seroconverted (doctor's estimate) June 1980.

Does that make me a golden oldie or simply "past it," as our British brothers and sisters say?

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.