Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:35:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 160
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 155
Total: 156

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: San Francisco AMG Social Events, Outings, & Planned Activities  (Read 18926 times)

Offline AMG Coordinator

Hello Gang,

Less than 5 months to go before we descend upon San Francisco for this years AMG! 

I thought this would be a good enough time as any to get everyone's input regarding social events, outings, and planned activities for this years gathering.  As in the past, things will be pretty informal, allowing members to do as they please. 

Anyone who wants to be a part of making things happen, we encourage you to start a thread and get a discussion going. 

Staple events from past gatherings include the infamous "Meet & Greet", and Pub Crawl, Educational Workshop hosted by AidsMeds and a visit to a local AIDS Memorial.

Jan (aka Anniebc) is graciously planning a memorable visit to the National AIDS Memorial Gardens.   We are currently in need of individuals to take the bull by the horn and coordinate our Meet & Greet" and Pub Crawl or similar event.

Remember, this is your gathering
!

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
Re: San Francisco AMG Social Events, Outings, & Planned Activities
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 07:13:04 pm »
Hey AMG C'er:

Here's my two cents about the upcoming AMG.

1.  Meet and Greet.  YES!  I really hope we continue this part.  It's a great time for all of us to get together, mingle, and actually meet one another.  Since there appears to be a lot of members coming, whom I've not had the opportunity to actually meet before, I know I'd appreciate it.

As far as the actual planning, based upon my experience the first two, it really works best if someone "local" works directly with you to find a suitable location.  That's where having an "ambassador" (or two) really comes in handy.

So if there is someone living in SF who is willing to take on that role, I think that would be the best way to go.

2.  I don't know if AIDSMeds has been following this discussion and are considering the possibility of sending someone to SF.  Depending upon what the focus/topic is, having a presentation like last year might be great.  Tim did a fantastic job, having just come from the conference in Toronto, he was able to fill us in on the highlights of what he learned.  So again, I could go either way on this.  It would depend on the topic I guess.

3.  Other than those two things, I really don't have much to offer in terms of personal preferences.  I hope that everyone who is coming takes a couple of minutes to communicate with you about what their thoughts are though. 

Keep it simple, yet not too simple that people feel somewhat disconnected and wander off.  How's that for a challenge?   ::)

RAB
(who reserves the right to think of other stuff later   ;))

P.S. One thing that we struggled with last year was the issue of "where are we going to eat".  The problem is with a group as large as we had last year, its almost impossible to plan a group meal each night (Meet and Greet excepted).  What we actually ended up doing was congregating in the lobby at a set hour and then just sort of went out and took over a place.  That got kind of iffy.  So there's that issue to think about too.  Maybe just a "social hour" each night, and then allow members to go off in smaller groups for dinner.  I don't know, maybe someone has some thoughts on this.  Just something for us to think about.

Edit to add:

One thing that didn't work well last year was Friday.  We just had too much going on that first day.  We had the visit to Hope Chapel, Ric and Thom's wedding, then the Meet and Greet.  ultimately there wasn't any way around this scheduling, the church was only available on Friday, Ric and Thom had already commited to Friday, and the Meet and Greet is traditionally held on Friday.  But I do know by the end of the day, members were exhausted.  So there's that to think about too I supose.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 07:24:26 pm by RAB »

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 09:16:16 pm »
Our friend Allan in Oakland has already posted some ideas for tours of the City.  They sound really nice and doable.  Perhaps we can schedule one for Friday and one for Saturday, depending on what day Jan is working with for the Memorial at AIDS GROVE. 

Perhaps Allan could help us with the MEET & GREET although he has admitted he's not much of a bar person (Allan, I can certainly relate to that.)  Maybe John Oso can help.  He lives in the East Bay (not SF but not far....maybe 20 miles).  I think  Joseph has a lot of things on his plate right now but who knows.  Maybe he'll raise his hand and volunteer.  And then there is Michael (Sonomabeach) who lives at the Russian River but apparently will he berthing his yacht in SF during the Gathering.  Maybe he has some ideas. He always does.   Then there is me, of course.  I'm 4 hours and 4 years (in distance and time) away from the Bay Area so I'm not really up to date but I will be there next month for my Dr. appointment.  I can stop by a couple of places and see if they can help us.

robert 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 09:29:55 pm by Robert »

Offline allanq

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 12:40:45 am »
Here are a couple of ideas for group activities (and also a bunch of questions):

1. A morning ferry ride on San Francisco Bay to Sausalito. We could have lunch in Sausalito, take a walk up the touristy main street, then return by mid-afternoon. With luck, the fog will not obscure the views. Bring a jacket!

2. A group walk. Since some people may have mobility problems, it might be best to do a level walk. We could walk down to the Ferry Building, then along the waterfront to visit the sea lions that hang out by Pier 39. This is about 2.5 miles. (For a shorter walk, we could take the Metro or BART to the Ferry Building and start the walk from there.) There are several dining choices on Pier 39. (OK, the restaurants on Pier 39 are not usually rated among San Francisco's finest, but I've had some very good meals there.) The vintage streetcars on the F-line can take you back from Pier 39 to the hotel on Powell and Market Street.

On the "meet & greet" -- The Powell Hotel doesn't have any public meeting rooms. However, there is a mezzanine level above the lobby that might be suitable. I'll take a trip there and check it out. It would be helpful to know about how many people would attend. The hotel doesn't have a restaurant or bar, so I'm not sure how we would provide refreshments. I imagine it would have to be catered. An alternative would be to rent a meeting room in one of the other nearby hotels that would be able to provide refreshments. (AMG Coordinator: help me out on this; I don't have a clue about planning things like this.)

For a pub crawl, the center of the bar scene universe is Castro and 18th Street, a 10-minute ride on the Muni Metro from the hotel.

Jan, you mentioned that you plan to arrive a few days before the reunion to help plan the ceremony at the AIDS Memorial Grove. Let me know how I can help. If you want to visit the Grove before the ceremony, I'd be glad to be your chauffeur and assistant.

When will most people be arriving? What is the likely timeframe for planning group activities? If it's three days (Friday through Sunday, I imagine), then we could do it as follows:

Friday morning -- level group walk along waterfront

Friday evening -- meet & greet

Saturday -- Memorial service in the National AIDS Memorial Grove. Other attractions nearby in Golden Gate Park are the Conservatory of Flowers, the De Young Museum, the Japanese Tea Garden, and the Arboretum.

Sunday -- Ferry ride to Sausalito

I can lead a walk that involves hill climbing on either Thursday or Monday (either Telegraph/Russian Hill or perhaps the hills above the Castro area, with a visit to Mission Dolores).

Allan

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 05:55:37 pm »
Thanks for all the great info mation Allan. 

You are right.  The Powell does have a mezzanine level which I'm told would be suitable for a meet-n-greet.  They also have a small meeting space which accommodates approximately 30 people.  I'm still trying to secure this space for the weekend and will have further details the beginning of next week.  Perhaps others who attended last year could chime in with the dynamics of last years meet-n-greet.  I'm guessing it's pretty informal.  Were there beverages and snacks available?  I'm sure this could be easily arranged with a local, nearby establishment.  I think the hotel works closely with a few area restaurants.  I'll have further information on this as well next week.  I'm also guessing this is where the t-shirts were distributed as well as maybe a welcome goody bag?

edited 4 spell check...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 05:58:08 pm by AMG Coordinator »

Offline Robert

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 09:59:26 pm »
Allan and Mr. AMG.

Our Meet and Greet for the last 2 years have been informal affairs.  They've both been held in bars away from the hotel.  Last year's M/G was also part of Ric and Thom's wedding reception.  It was very, very generous of them to include us and allow us to sort of "borrow" from  them, so to speak, for our own M/G.  I believe they paid for the devours.  There was a cash bar.  The reception lasted about 1 hour and then we had dinner at the same place.  In this case, it was a 3 story bar/restaurant and we had the top floor.   There were about 10-15 tables set up with 5-6 people per table.  We ordered dinner from the table and we paid for it ourselves.  It sort of hard to tell when the reception ended and the dinner started as I know I spent a lot of time going from table to table and meeting people throughout the evening.  It started around 6p I believe and around 10p it broke up and we all went out own ways (ahem, I went to a fabulous strip joint...OMG...the tattoos!!)  The bar stayed open the entire time.  Like I said, it was a cash bar. 

The year before, again it was at a multilevel bar not far from the hotel.  We had the upstairs to ourselves until around 9-10P when management opened it up to everyone else.  That was not a problem.  This was in Toronto and I remember meeting a lot of Torontonians who were just the nicest people.  They couldn't believe all of us were HIV+ as we are such a diverse group.  Anyway, I got there late so if there was any hor d'ourves, I missed out.  It was a cash bar.

It would be great to have out reception at the hotel if they can offer booze.  Will they allow us to bring it?  Do we have any bartenders in the crowd?  I can bring my Old Mr. Boston  (mixer book) but I'm afraid it would be OTJ (On the Job) training and not real professional.  (Although that reminds me last year in Montreal there was a bartender-in-training who wasn't too swift.)

I know of 2 bars on upper Market, near the Castro that would be ideal for a reception.  I can stop by there and ask when I go to see my Dr next month. 

As for the t-shirts, actually they were distributed in the morning before our visit to the church for the AIDS memorial.  But like RAB said, that Friday was an unbelievably packed day.  If we arrange the AIDS Memorial for Saturday, then, yes, we can distribute the shirts then.  The goody bags we had were presented to us at check-in.  RAB wore his unbelievably professional greeter hat and spent most of the time on the sidewalk in front of the hotel, greeting the arrivals. I had made up some name tags/agendas for everyone that were given out at the meet and greet only because I got there so late that they weren't included in the bag. (As you can see, for both these Gatherings, I managed to arrive late.  Not this year, that's for sure.)

So does that help, Dennis?  I hope so.

robert

Offline Dennis

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 11:16:26 pm »
Thanks Robert.  That does help.  I had always thought the meet and greet was at the host hotel. 

Your header made me chuckle and gave me an idea for a new event.

Mr. AMG?  Do I see the beginning of our first annual Mr. and Mrs. AMG contest?

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 05:02:29 am »
I just got home from a moonlight sail on San Francisco Bay.  The winds were like 5-10 knots, there was a half moon over the bay and no fog.  It was one of the best nights I have had in years and with three straight men who should never take thrie shirts off.  Depending on tides. currents, fog cover and wind, I would like to offer a little sailing time on the bay.

I plan on berthing at a guest slip at Pier 39, it should be in walking distance to the Powell Hotel.  I don't know San Francisco that well and get lost every time I take a right turn, but I do know how to find bars and great places to eat.  Those are two of my skills.  Have the best day
Michael
(who believes a yacht is something you look at and has no function, a sailboat is something to use and enjoy)

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 06:07:11 am »
Doh!

I'm sorry...i just happened to look at this thread and saw my name mentioned ( ;))!

I'll help in any way I can.....I will admit that I know next to nothing about the ins-n-outs of the City since I don't get over there much. My knowledge begins and ends @ the Lone Star Saloon on Harrison Street.  :D

However,  I CAN supply a car prior/during the AMG if need be.

I work 3-11 shift at the hospital, so unfortunately my time is a bit constrained as far as normal human hours are concerned.

I have requested two weeks of vacation around the time of the AMG, so hopefully I will have lotsa time to help out with things.

Shoot me a message, if need be.

John

Offline David_CA

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 11:58:52 am »
One thing that might make things a bit easier is to research some of the nearby (or really good if not nearby) restaurants.  Perhaps even getting a menu from the restaurant, addresses, quality of food (if known) would be great.  It would allow us to pick some that fit our tastes and budget.  Even if we don't all eat at the same places, like we tried to do in Montreal, we could maybe go to two or three places as a group.  We could also call a little before arriving so the rest. could better prepare for whatever number plan on eating there.  The same goes for nightly get-togethers like we had at some of the smaller bars in Montreal.  Those were really fun.  I'm sure some that are local to the area can point out a few places that could / would accommodate us as a group. 

Thanks to those who are helping plan things - Jan, John, Michael, Allan, Robert, and everybody else who's helping to make this a memorable event.

David
Black Friday 03-03-2006
03-23-06 CD4 359 @27.4% VL 75,938
06-01-06 CD4 462 @24.3% VL > 100,000
08-15-06 CD4 388 @22.8% VL >  "
10-21-06 CD4 285 @21.9% VL >  "
  Atripla started 12-01-2006
01-08-07 CD4 429 @26.8% VL 1872!
05-08-07 CD4 478 @28.1% VL 740
08-03-07 CD4 509 @31.8% VL 370
11-06-07 CD4 570 @30.0% VL 140
02-21-08 CD4 648 @32.4% VL 600
05-19-08 CD4 695 @33.1% VL < 48 undetectable!
08-21-08 CD4 725 @34.5%
11-11-08 CD4 672 @39.5%
02-11-09 CD4 773 @36.8%
05-11-09 CD4 615 @36.2%
08-19-09 CD4 770 @38.5%
11-19-09 CD4 944 @33.7%
02-17-10 CD4 678 @39.9%  
06-03-10 CD4 768 @34.9%
09-21-10 CD4 685 @40.3%
01-10-11 CD4 908 @36.3%
05-23-11 CD4 846 @36.8% VL 80
02-13-12 CD4 911 @41.4% VL<20
You must be the change you want to see in the world.  Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Basquo

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2007, 08:50:56 am »
I have to go to Ghiradelli Square.  My mother will never speak to me again if I don't bring her some chocolate (or worse, she will speak to me in that tone.)

http://www.ghirardelli.com/shops/ghirardellisq.aspx

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 10:13:14 am »
I have to go to Ghiradelli Square.  My mother will never speak to me again if I don't bring her some chocolate...

Chocolate? Did someone say chocolate? :o

Basquo, you seem to be mentioning chocolate a lot in your posts lately...are you in coheats with Mr RAB? Has he got you onside to try and help him and Nadine win me over about coming? :P

Melia
(who is curious now...What's so special about chocolate from Ghiradelli Square? ::))
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline Basquo

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 12:49:03 pm »
CHOCOLATE!

chocolate chocolate chocolate!

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 01:54:25 pm »
CHOCOLATE!

Ha! Funny guy!

;D ;D ;D

Melia the Malteser and MarsBar Muncher
(and any other chocolate beginning with M...or any letter of the alphabet for that matter! ::))
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Offline pozattitude

• Enjoy
    • to find out more about me....
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2007, 03:09:36 pm »
CHOCOLATE!

If you like chocolate you will have to try See's candy.  A bay area favorite
POSITIVE PEDALERS... We are a group of people living with HIV/AIDS, eliminating stigma through our positive public example.

Offline Nadine

« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2007, 05:15:47 pm »
Melia,

I have found the perfect box of chocolates for you...please tell us that your coming  :)

:-*

Offline asaint

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2007, 05:24:52 pm »
can someone please post a updated list regarding social events, outings, and planned activities.
thanks in advance
Bob
6/11 VL <50   CD4 (9%)   CD8 (54%}

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2007, 05:54:30 pm »
Information is being finalized and will be posted shortly.

AMG Coordinator

can someone please post a updated list regarding social events, outings, and planned activities.
thanks in advance
Bob

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2007, 02:25:26 am »
If you like chocolate you will have to try See's candy.  A bay area favorite

Melia,

I have found the perfect box of chocolates for you...please tell us that your coming  :)

:-*

I'M COMING! I'M COMING!!! ;D

Miss Melia
(whose choco radar must be dodgy cos she almost missed these 2 posts)
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2007, 08:37:55 pm »
For anyone who wants to work his or her mojo on a Sunday morning....

The Sunday T-Dance at the End-Up is legendary in San Francisco, and a hella good time.

It starts at 6 a.m. (yes, you read correctly:  SIX in the morning, since it's legal to sell booze starting then in California), and goes on all day (and night...).

http://www.theendup.com/events/t-dance.html

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2007, 11:28:14 pm »
The End Up?

I seem to remember being there once, some time ago. Of course, it might not be the same place.

I just remember leaving the Tracadero Transfer, taking a "stroll" through Golden Gate Park, then going to the bar, I think it was the End Up, as the sun rose.

The first person who remembers the Trocadero Transfer gets a prize.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline JohnOso

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2007, 05:20:34 am »
The End Up?

I seem to remember being there once, some time ago. Of course, it might not be the same place

Yep, the one and only!

Just about midway between Blow Buddies and the Lone Star Saloon. **

John

**Or so i've heard   ;D

Offline Basquo

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2007, 08:14:22 am »
The first person who remembers the Trocadero Transfer gets a prize.

I thought that was one of Pinky's dance moves on Happy Days.

Offline AMG Coordinator

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2007, 10:07:18 pm »
Hey Everyone,

AMG '07 is steadily creaping up on us with only 3 months to go.  This may sound like a long time but it truly isn't from a planning standpoint.  I'd like to have everything in place within the next two months, using the last month or so to wrap-up loose ends. 

I need your help.  I need everyones input if there are any other social events, outings, or planned activities you'd like see take place this year.  Thursday night is wide open.  A couple of proposals have been set forth in the following thread.
http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=12813.0.  Bar Crawl, Beach Blanket Babylon, group dinner, leave open, etc?

There's also an opportunity for a group dinner on Sunday evening at Bubba Gumps or Home.

This is your gathering but those of us involved with the planning need to know what you'd like to see take place in order to make it happen.  A few of you have already voiced your desires.  Where's everyone esle!

Peace,
Dennis

« Last Edit: June 09, 2007, 10:18:59 pm by AMG Coordinator »

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2007, 12:20:00 pm »
The Endup was mentioned and shown in the book/movie TALES OF THE CITY
was it not???  No doubt this place would be a MUST SEE on our tour of the city.
Bloody Mary's at 6AM sounds eek but perhaps by ten oclock I can manage a couple.
Hmmm...my imagination is working overtime at this moment............ :P
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Robert

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2007, 04:44:43 pm »
Yeah, David....

it's the one and only.  the End Up has been around for years and I don't think it has changed much.  We have.  It hasn't. 

Does this mean you're coming?  What great news!  Don't forget to tell us your Arrival and Departure Times.

And don't forget to book your Hotel Room directly with the hotel.  Ask for the special AMG rate.

robert

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 08:09:22 pm »
Hey Robert....

In answer to your question....see the thread "So who's going to San Fransisco?"
                I'm working on it..............Wish me luck.......................... :P
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.