Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:57:07 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 224
Total: 226

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: One time unprotected encounter with a very active lady  (Read 10812 times)

Offline Worried_wf

• Standard
One time unprotected encounter with a very active lady
« on: April 02, 2013, 11:28:36 am »
I met a lady, asian, collage student through online chatting. We had sex for only one time at about 10 days ago from today.

She did oral for me for about couple min, and I did not cum into her mouth. I started with condom, but I did stupid thing that I put it off for about few minutes. I did put it back on later, just to not let her pregnent. We did not do anal.

After that, I start to become very worried! I am afraid of getting infected with HIV. I asked her, she said she doesn't know her status since she never test herself.

Yesterday I asked her about more details, she said she used to have sex a lot, with random guys!!!  And lots of them were unprotected sex. She said she dose not know her hiv status, but can not guarantee that she does not have HIV. She also mentioned she had high fever of 40C (104F) one month before our encounter!!!

Now I am very worried, I track back my symptoms after the encounter:

Day 2-5: temperature of 37.6, come and go through out of the day. Slightly short of breath, with mild dry cough.
Day 3: 2mm diameter white spot (like acne) at inside of my lower lip.
Day 7: lip is kind of dry, white spot dissappeaered.
Day 9: left side neck mild pain, not swelling.
Day10: neck back to normal.

At this moment I know it is too early to use anti body test.

I just want to know how much is my risk ? How bad this situation is?

What is the chance she is indeed HIV+ while she does not know, considering she is promiscuous and had high fever one month before encounter?

Are those symptoms related? Or is it possible that I just have very early seroconversion than others?

How much of the chance that I will have HIV from her if she is indeed HIV+, I am not circumcised by the way.

Is ther anyway to test antigen at this moment?

I hope I will come out fine, but the sometime people get caught at the very first time......

Thank you very much!

Wf

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: One time unprotected encounter with a very active lady
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 11:44:17 am »
If I'm understanding you right she proformed oral sex on you without a condom , this is OK and not a risk for HIV so you can put that out of your mind .

The vaginal sex you had was protected by a condom ... so that's of no concern also , not a risk .

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED FURTHER HIV TESTING AT THIS TIME, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care checkup, including but not limited to HIV testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine checkups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine HIV tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than HIV. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid HIV infection. It really is that simple!

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Worried_wf

• Standard
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 11:53:39 am »
Thanks for replying.

The oral part was no condom.

The vaginal part was partially no condom as well !

I started with condom, then I took condom off just because it felt better ( I must be very stupid) , the insertion without condom was lasting few minutes. Later I put it back on just to not have her pregnant, but not for the sake of HIV. I am very regret about the stupid mistake of taking condom off. Please help out ...

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 12:10:17 pm »
I understand now . You did indeed have a risk by having unprotected vaginal intercourse and will need to be tested at 6 weeks and again at 3 months for a conclusive result .

The symptoms you are having are not specific to HIV and we do not discuss symptoms because testing is the only way to diagnose HIV .     
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Worried_wf

• Standard
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 12:46:07 pm »
Can you comments on the following questions?

I just want to know how much is my risk ? How bad this situation is?

What is the chance she is indeed HIV+ while she does not know, considering she is promiscuous and had high fever one month before encounter?

Are those symptoms related? Or is it possible that I just have very early seroconversion than others?

How much of the chance that I will have HIV from her if she is indeed HIV+, I am not circumcised by the way.

Is ther anyway to test antigen at this moment?

I hope I will come out fine, but the sometime people get caught at the very first time......

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 12:57:26 pm »
Worried,

For a start, one does NOT have to be "promiscuous" to be hiv positive. A person can become hiv positive the very first time they have (unprotected) anal or vaginal intercourse.

You can stop the insinuations and judgement calls about who is likely to have hiv right now. It's insulting.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is more difficult to transmit from the receptive partner (her) to the insertive partner (you). You are not likely to become infected from a one-off, brief unprotected, insertive vaginal incident.

However, you have had a risk and you do need to test.

The earliest you should test is at six weeks. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days.

A six week negative must be confirmed at the three month point, but is highly unlikely to change.

Neither symptoms nor even the lack of symptoms will ever tell you a single thing about your hiv status. ONLY testing at the appropriate time will

Here's what you need to know in order to avoid hiv infection:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv. Some of the other STIs can be present with no obvious symptoms, so the only way to know for sure is to test.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Worried_wf

• Standard
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 01:46:37 pm »
I apologize for using offensive word.

Would you please let me know is there any quicker way to test it out? Just can not concentrate when waiting for 6 weeks mark and even 3 month.

How possible I will be infected after this encounter? You mentioned HIV is difficult to transmit from female to male via one time unprotected vaginal intercourse. However, you also said people can get infected at the very first time. I just want to know how likely I will be infected since I am extremely worried at this moment. I am sorry for the insulting part, i am very anxious......

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 01:52:25 pm »
I apologize for using offensive word.

Would you please let me know is there any quicker way to test it out? Just can not concentrate when waiting for 6 weeks mark and even 3 month.

How possible I will be infected after this encounter? You mentioned HIV is difficult to transmit from female to male via one time unprotected vaginal intercourse. However, you also said people can get infected at the very first time. I just want to know how likely I will be infected since I am extremely worried at this moment. I am sorry for the insulting part, i am very anxious......

You will need to test at the appropriate time to get a valid result and that's at 6 weeks and again at three months .

Its impossible assign risk percentages to a single situation such as yours , so the only thing you can do is wait and test .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 03:12:02 pm »
Worried,

I would not expect you to test positive following this brief unprotected insertive incident, but the ONLY way to know for sure is to test at the appropriate time.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Worried_wf

• Standard
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 07:39:23 am »
Hi,

My doc gave me amoxicillin (antibiotic med), my symptom seems less.

Does amoxicillin affect the windows period? Do I need to extend the testing mark due to it?

Thank you.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2013, 08:07:52 am »
Hi,

My doc gave me amoxicillin (antibiotic med), my symptom seems less.

Does amoxicillin affect the windows period? Do I need to extend the testing mark due to it?

Thank you.
Antibiotics do not affect the window period.

Offline Worried_wf

• Standard
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2013, 01:22:53 am »
Much more concerned after did some research.

It says the infection rate of contact a person who is recently infected (I assumed this is highly possible in this case) is much higher due to the higher VL.  I am freaking out.

In addition, I feel really bad about not considering PEP at beginning, although by now I still (she as well) do not know if she has HIV or not. But if indeed contracted HIV, I will be very regret that I did not ask PEP at the first 36 hours.

Sad...

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2013, 02:12:07 am »
Much more concerned after did some research.

It says the infection rate of contact a person who is recently infected (I assumed this is highly possible in this case) is much higher due to the higher VL.  I am freaking out.

In addition, I feel really bad about not considering PEP at beginning, although by now I still (she as well) do not know if she has HIV or not. But if indeed contracted HIV, I will be very regret that I did not ask PEP at the first 36 hours.

Sad...

Your research is accurate, but there's really nothing to be accomplished by freaking out. What's done is done. At the ten day mark, you COULD do a PCR test, which is essentially a viral load test - but it's expensive, and not accurate if the body has started producing antibodies. Not every place offers it, but if you think that will ease your mind somewhat, then it's an option within the first couple of weeks after exposure. These tests are NOT routinely used for diagnostic purposes however, due to the tricky timetable and the differences in every person's immune response to HIV.

You will still need to wait until the six week mark for a preliminary antibody test, then again at the three month period.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Worried_wf

• Standard
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2013, 05:44:39 am »
Heartbreaking... Could not sleep...
Can you tell me roughly what is the odd in my case? Is it 1 in 1, 10, or 100? Am still in favor of odd ?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2013, 06:13:57 am »
Worried,

I would not expect you to test positive following this brief unprotected insertive incident, but the ONLY way to know for sure is to test at the appropriate time.

Ann

I have nothing new to add.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Worried_wf

• Standard
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2013, 06:28:14 am »
Ann,

Thank you. I hope you will be right. I have ordered PCR testing just to end the mental torture earlier. Thank you for your support.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2013, 06:06:37 pm »
PCR-RNA tests are not stand alone and have to be used in conjunction with an antibody test. 

Offline Worried_wf

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2013, 08:30:43 pm »
Please advice on the results, thanks a lot.

The PCR RNA test is back. Blood draw was at 11day 8hr after exposure, test done by LabCorp.

Antibody: NEG
RNA: not-reacting (NEG)

Please give advice, thank you.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2013, 08:34:13 pm »
Your 3 month post exposure test will be conclusive.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2013, 06:55:21 am »
Worried,

There are no short-cuts to hiv testing.

You've already been given the testing window information - see reply #5.

PCR testing in your situation is a waste of time and money. Any negative result on any test is not considered conclusive until you have a negative antibody test at three months.

You're unlikely to go on to test positive, but we won't know that conclusively until your three month test.

There is absolutely nothing more to add at this point.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Worried_wf

• Standard
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2013, 09:03:02 am »
Thank you Ann and Rod,

I just want to get some preliminary test to reduce my stress. I will absolutely test antibody at 6week and 3month to have a conclusive results.

Offline Worried_wf

• Standard
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2013, 01:54:22 pm »
I am now 99% sure I got HIV already.

Although Labcorp RNA qualitative result at 11day resulting nonreactive (NEG). The windows period for this test is 7-14 days. So this test is meaningless.

The bad thing is I got Herpes II.
Antibody Neg, but IgM is positive. I also have two 1mm bumps at skin of backside of my penis.

Now, I am just waiting for the bad news happen at few weeks later....

« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 02:01:44 pm by Worried_wf »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.