Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:19:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 388
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 386
Total: 386

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Big Risk ?  (Read 5863 times)

Offline liteonoff

Big Risk ?
« on: November 07, 2007, 04:53:48 pm »
Hey !

I would like to ask how big was a risk. It was a oral sex, without condom. I was active. There wasn't sperm. BUT I had in cavity gaps, because i have little injury - I bite my skin. Also, I washed tooth five minute before, and there were some blood.

After week I had canker sore on tongue, and have till this day, also the tongue was white. Two days my legs and everything hurts like after all day running. My lymph gland under arms and throat are big, tough and hurts sometimes. I have a temperature about 37,4 C about 2 weeks. I feel tired. I've got something like mole but red on hand, leg, and on the top of foot(here is few).

I would like to ask about risk and these symptoms. I could also add I'm almost sure I've got syphilis - is this mean I've also have hiv ?

Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Big Risk ?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 06:12:25 pm »
Forget about all of those symptoms in relation to HIV. Absolutely none of them are HIV-specific. Neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV test. Only an HIV test taken at 13 weeks can give you a definitive answer about yoru status.

Of course I am talking about situations which were actually risky -- specifically either unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse.

There have been a few insufficiently authenticated reports of transmission from giving oral. Your saliva has elements in it which render HIV incapable of being transmitted. Additionally there is an ongoign long term study of sero-discordant couples, both gay and straight, who had lots of unprotected oral and only protected intercourse. The results have been that not a single sero-negative partner has become infected.

So I don't see any cause for concern, even bearing in mind the specific details you have mentioned. In general we do advise anyone who's sexually active to regularly have a full STD panel done. That means at least annually. I don't see the need for an HIV test in relation to this incident. Despite what you mind is scaring you with to the contrary.

If your symptoms persist that's something to discuss with your doctor.

This is NOT an HIV situation.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline liteonoff

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2007, 02:43:11 pm »
Thank you for posting , Andy. But, are you sure that if were a blood just before sex, it's a safe situation ?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2007, 05:38:41 pm »
None of your symptoms are in any way HIV specific. White tongue, etc. All of them are common life occurences.

As far as risk, your saliva contains natural elements which very effectively neutralize HIV, if in fact the person you were with was HIV+. There are also longterm studies ongoing with sero-discordant couples, both straight and gay. They have lots of protected intercourse and lots of unprotected oral. To date not a single sero-negative partner has become infected.

I don't see any need for testing. Discuss your symptoms with your doctor.
Andy Velez

Offline liteonoff

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 05:21:02 pm »
Okay, thx. But, I know personally a friend which have protected anal sex and unprotected oral sex a 5 days after pulling out tooth - and became infected. He also has paradontoza - and I thought I also have, in the early stage. Also, I read about being infected by oral sex on the forums, but I can't say if it's true.

And, if I could, I've got three more questions :
1) Does the high temperature must occur as symptom of hiv ?
2) Loosing weight - as above ?
3) How much sperm or a liquid before the ejaculation must be to become infected ?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 05:37:34 pm »
With all due respect, I would consider your report about how your friend became infected to be anecdotal. It's not one which has been subjected to the kind of rigorous scientific examination to make sure all the facts  have been reported and assessed. Your report about your friend is already second hand information. However well intentioned often people do not report completely or accurately for various reasons.

As for your other questions, a high fever might be a part of ARS. However, because the symptoms are so similar to other illnesses, neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms should ever be the way to gauge your HIV status. If there has been risky behavior the only way to know your status reliably is to get tested at 13 weeks past the most recent incident.

Losing weight is not an HIV-specific occurence. There is no specific quantity which is necessary in order to cause an effective transmission. The issue is risky behavior and attempting to quantify it in the way your questions assumes possible is also not reliable.
Andy Velez

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2007, 10:48:48 pm »
Lite,

Do not send me PM's asking for advice, as you did earlier today. In fact do not send any AIDSmeds expert PM's seeking advice. I have blocked you from sending me any further PM's. If you have questions you must ask them here in your thread.

I would like to ask you a question, sorry for PM.

I have founded some various informations about oral sex and hiv I was an active, it was MSM. I would have worried BUT I washed my teeth 5 minutes before, and there were some blood, and I bite my skin from inside. I know that hiv have no specific symptoms, but I've got many of them - almost every. But I haven't got high fever (about 37,3) and I'm not losing weight. I'm almost sure I've catched syphilis till this sex - is that mean I could also have a hiv ?

This changes nothing. You do not have HIV infection. If you feel unwell see your doctor.

MtD

Offline liteonoff

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 12:43:11 pm »
http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Oral/Archive/Risk/Q8313.html

Sorry for sending PM's.

However, I've got of course more symptoms, but I do not write about them, such as diarrhoea, bleeding gum, discolors on skin such as mole but red, some weird spots under the skin on a the internal side of a hands etc.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 06:09:15 pm by liteonoff »

Offline liteonoff

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2007, 06:09:25 pm »
Could someone please take a position on this article ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2007, 09:35:59 pm »
That study was 7 years ago. You do not contract HIV via oral sex. Doesn't matter if there is blood or not.

Offline liteonoff

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007, 12:47:31 pm »
I've got a question - how long does a HIV symptoms (if they occur at all) exist ? Does it takes about 2 weeks max ? And If someone catch HIV, does for example swollen lymph glands could still be ? Or temperature ?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 01:02:20 pm »
You were never at risk and you've been told that here and at MedHelp.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 01:19:48 pm »
You seem to still want to be discussing symptoms. The fact is that neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell someone who's had a risky incident anything accurately about their HIV status. Only an HIV test taken at 13 weeks after such incident will give a reliable and conclusive answer.

In your situation it's irrelevant because you didn't have a risk although you seem unwilling to believe that.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.