Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:55:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 227
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A little update here !  (Read 21853 times)

Offline hope_for_a_cure

A little update here !
« on: October 26, 2013, 06:20:08 pm »
Hello friends and fellow AM forum members.

Its been a while since I posted on here but wanted to touch base with my AM friends to say hi as well as provide a bit of an update.  Also I have a question for you all.  Many of you I keep up with on FB and you already know my developing situation, but others do not.

I found out this past week that I have Hodgkin Lymphoma.  The treatment for this type of cancer at a minimum will be several cycles of chemo with possible radiation.  Tests are all done and I am in that 'waiting for results' period of time to determine the exact stage of development my condition has reached. 

OK, question regarding my HIV treatment (Atripla) is this:  Have any of you or are any of you aware of issues that chemo may have on HAART?  One of my concerns would be if the nausea comes (during chemo), I am wondering if my daily dose of Atripla would remain strong enough in me so as not to create compliance issues.  I will discuss this in detail with my ID Spec but was looking here too to see if any of you have ever gone through chemo while on HAART? 

My lump (nicknamed it Mr Lumpy) was discovered in September and I wasted no time getting to doctors so they could take a 'look see'.  Now my biopsy has been done (three lymph nodes removed) and the analysis shows my tissue stains for Hodgkin Lymphoma.  Another fight underway shortly.... thank goodness I have more strength for this one than I did when initially diagnosed with AIDS. 

Please... if you guys notice abnormally swollen lymph nodes, don't ignore it.  Get it checked out.  My hope is this is being caught in stage I or II (worst case).  The good news is my VL is back to being UD.... but that slight trend of my CD4s going slowly down from mid 300s to 192 may be indicative of my body fighting cancer.  Talk about an opportunistic piece of shit! 

So... if any of you have had (or know information regarding) the experience of treating cancer while on HIV meds, I would love to hear from you. 

J

(corrected... current CD4 is 192 not 292)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 06:28:52 pm by hope_for_a_cure »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: A little update here !
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 06:47:57 pm »
Hi James . Im wising you the best and I want to thank you for your update here .

I was in chemo for a long while and never had any serious issues with nausea while on Atripla . I guess it all could come down to the chemo drug and dose but I was pleasantly surprised at how well I tolerated the treatments . I was in chemo for Kaposi sarcoma so it may not be a fair comparison .

I will be thinking of you and hoping for an update when you feel inclined .
((( BIG HUG )))) . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 06:55:00 pm »
Thanks Jeff.  ABVD is the treatment I will take and I plan to start out w/o a port.  My hope is that if I am catching this in stage I or II, I may only need 3 to 6 cycles which is one treatment ever 15 days for 3 to 6 months. 

I am finding that the cost of cancer treatment makes HIV treatment seem like a bargain basement sale!   So far just an outpatient surgery and tests alone are about as much as my 2 week stay in the hospital when I was being diagnosed with AIDS.

I wish a pill would cure HL but nope... gonna take bigger guns this time.  I do plan to take the anti nausea drugs (strong ones) and of course anything that will keep the runs at bay too. 

There is a support site for Hogies too but not nearly as many folks there (which is actually good when you think about it).  Don't wish this crap on anybody!

The silver lining is that treatment for HL has a 95% success rate.  It will do a number on your system though while in treatment. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 06:58:22 pm by hope_for_a_cure »

Offline buginme2

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, 07:05:40 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about the HL diagnosis.  I am glad you found it early.  Can I ask you where the lump is located?  How did you discover it?  Was it noticeable or was it something that of you weren't looking you would have missed?

I'm sorry if that's a lot of questions.Lymphoma is a common occurrence for people with HIV and with your experience we could learn more about the signs, etc.

Regarding the nausea, I hope it's not bad.  Are you in a place that allows medical marijuana?  It really does help with nausea and some other chemo side effects, including keeping your appetite and strength up.

Again I'm sorry but it sounds like you are getting good care. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 07:17:25 pm »
I noticed in mid September a slightly swollen area in my right side arm pit when I was in the shower.  It was getting ever so slightly larger by the day actually until it got to maybe about the size of my hand.  This thing was totally painless but was obviously swollen. 

I went into see my GP that next week and he initially put me on Bactrim for 10 days but also ordered an ultrasound.  So at this point we are getting into late September and I move my ID Spec appointment up a week so I can discuss this with him too.  His nurse setup an appointment with a surgeon who put me on his schedule for the very next day.  A week after surgery my results were being presented to me and I had an appointment with my Oncologist setup.  This past week I had my PET, CT, ECHO, and Pulmonary Function Tests done (all to determine the stage where I am) and plan to take my first treatment of chemo during that first full week in November. 

This is all going rather fast!  Its best to NOT waste time with cancer as you know.  The only way I would have not noticed this lump would have been if I did not wash under my arms so it was very easy to spot.  The PET scan will show if I have cancer in other areas where obvious swelling is not felt.  Sooooo, I hope its early.  I do know I wasted NO time getting into see doctors once I found this. 

Please everybody...do not ignore swollen lymph nodes.  Yea, not all are going to be cancer but do not wait and see if it all gets better for too long.  If you do not see improvement, get it checked out!
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 07:24:23 pm by hope_for_a_cure »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, 08:14:34 pm »
Mom and I were just talking about you, Hopey! We're keeping you in our thoughts. We know everything is going to work out just fine. :-*

Oh and Mom says thank you for the nice card you sent after Dennis passed away. You pleasantly surprised her at a very sad time. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, 08:50:51 pm »
I'll be thinking of you a lot in the coming months, James
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2013, 05:48:54 am »
I'll be thinking of you a lot in the coming months, James

I appreciate that!  I am doing the same with you regarding the foot related stuff you are dealing with.  You know, this 2013 is turning out to be a wild ride for several of us. 

Here is a deal:  By late spring of next year you will be dancing and I will be cancer free!  Optimistic (yes) but not unrealistic.  Thanks again.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2013, 05:50:44 am »
Mom and I were just talking about you, Hopey! We're keeping you in our thoughts. We know everything is going to work out just fine. :-*

Oh and Mom says thank you for the nice card you sent after Dennis passed away. You pleasantly surprised her at a very sad time. ;)

We were planning to do the Christmas Show at the Merchandise Mart (Charlotte) in November and actually may still get up that way.  If so, please consider joining us for dinner.  We will be staying in the South Park area so I know its not too far from where you are.  Thanks Mikie!  Send my best to Miss Celia.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 09:58:59 am »
I've been keeping tabs on you on FB and have been sending good thoughts to you James. Wishing you my best through this challenge. 
Hugs,
m.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2013, 10:04:08 am »

Here is a deal:  By late spring of next year you will be dancing and I will be cancer free!  Optimistic (yes) but not unrealistic.  Thanks again.

I fully expect this (even if my dancing may be more of a gentle swaying :) I've had HIV+ friends get what you just found out about and though the chemo sessions can be rough they came out of it all just fine. Half of it is mental, so while you may expect some days of feeling down be aware of this and seek help when you need it -- family, friends, etc... and you can always call me or have a Skype session. And when I'm ill there's really nothing like hearing one's mother's voice even when you are an old man (yes, I am not ashamed to say so).

So I will hold you to our dancing session, and next time you travel up my way we'll do lunch somewhere fab, OK?

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 11:00:40 am »
I love it!  Thanks David.  The HL support group had a member who posted... "be sure and take your mommie with you to chemo".  My mother is a steel magnolia and she is determined to be right by my side (83 yrs old actually).  She is the matriarch of our family as one may expect. 

Thank goodness for the support of friends and family.  Also, I find that I am deeply shaken by this but know that I have what it takes to fight.  Honestly, the 2010 fiasco with AIDS will make this seem easier.  I am not almost dead like I was back then so I am going into this fight with not only good odds, but MUCH more strength!

Thanks again!

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 11:01:43 am »
I've been keeping tabs on you on FB and have been sending good thoughts to you James. Wishing you my best through this challenge. 
Hugs,
m.

Thanks!  Hugs are great and I appreciate not only your post but your support. 

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 11:25:54 am »
Hey Hopey! good to see you again round these parts. Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, you will be in my thoughts.

I was moms caretaker during her 2 year Chemo regimine and she rarely threw up, Of course like you say it all depends on what they are giving you. When she did get nauseated we had plenty of Phenergan and Zofran on hand. So get your doc to prescribe you one of these. Also they frequently put an anti nausea agent in with the chemo mix.

Goog luck and keep us posted

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2013, 12:19:11 pm »
Thanks for the post Willy.  Good to hear from  you.  Keep sending me good healing vibes dude!

Offline britchick

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 12:47:23 pm »
hope,

Thanks for posting.You sound so grounded and determined.Im so glad that you got yourself checked  out . You have more strength  than you know and an army here to support you.

Best Wishes
britchickx

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 05:45:49 am »
I do appreciate those of you who took a moment to respond here and via e-mail.  It means more than you know to get even a short message expressing support and well wishes. 

Today or tomorrow at the latest, I should find out the stage where my HL is and from what I gather, there should really be no negative affect on my HAART.  That was a huge concern.  My next appointment with my ID Spec is during the first week in November and its great that he AND my Onc will be closely monitoring me as I start and go through with chemo.

All the best to you all and thanks again for the good vibes, information, and support.  Lets make it a great week!

J

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 06:17:36 pm »
You fellows kind of know each other. I do not have that privilege, but this forum has helped me a lot thus far, so, in return, I hope this little note from the unknown me may help you in your fight

Cheers

Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 11:46:46 am »
I just had a phone conversation with James and must say he's handling all of this apparently very well.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 03:28:39 pm »
I appreciate it Eric.  The note from you put a smile on my face!  I also enjoyed chatting with you this morning Miss P.  The AM board really is a place for support although I have not been around these parts much lately.  I need to spend some time reading through some older posts to catch up on things. 

While I try to maintain good spirits about this whole HL thing, the damned waiting for results of last week's tests is what I am not dealing with very well.  I left a v-mail with my oncologist's nurse earlier this afternoon but of course have not heard back from them yet.   UUUUGHHH!!!!   Patience is NOT my strong point.  I want answers and stuff NOW!!!  lol

So, no real update to the update thread yet other than to touch base and express a touch of frustration with still not knowing what HL stage I'm in.  I do know this cancer crap has to go and soon!

Keep me in your thoughts everybody.  I decided today that no matter where AMG is held in 2014.... I will be back.  New war stories to share over drinks and dinner with the gang, but remember I am a lightweight when it comes to booze.  They don't call me two hit Lucy for nothing.

Later!

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 05:42:38 pm »
I'm a light weight too unless it's tequila shots with Mark/aztecan.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 12:11:49 am »
I'm sorry to read about your diagnosis.  I've known a few people with this and all are now doing great.  I should point out that they are all HIV neg (as far as I know), so I'm not sure how much that may complicate things. 

I asked one friend, who is 37, whether he had any symptoms-- feeling tired and all that.  He said nothing but the swollen nodes.  It made me think for someone HIV negative, swollen nodes would set off immediate alarm bells.  But, for those with HIV, swollen nodes would probably be dismissed as being caused by HIV.  Well, until they got really enlarged and spreading. 

How much is HIV associated with causing lymphoma?  Is it a big factor, or thought that you would have probably gotten lymphoma, even if you were neg?  I will keep you in my thoughts.  And, this is a good reminder for people to not dismiss things as just normal with HIV.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 03:01:08 am »

How much is HIV associated with causing lymphoma?  Is it a big factor, or thought that you would have probably gotten lymphoma, even if you were neg?  I will keep you in my thoughts.  And, this is a good reminder for people to not dismiss things as just normal with HIV.

Hi Ted!  Good to hear from you.

When I saw my ID Specialist on October 1st he took one look at the swollen area (right side armpit) and expressed urgency in getting into see a surgeon to move forward with a biopsy.  He knew that a needle aspiration would not be the best way to go in order to obtain a definitive answer so immediately had his nurse setup an appointment with a surgeon.  I tell you, this guy (my ID Spec) is amazingly good!  He told me that HIV+ people, more specifically, HIV+ people who have less than stellar CD4 counts are at a greater risk of developing lymphoma.  Further, the fact that my CD4 count had been slightly decreasing over the past year had him concerned. 

Who knows if I would have gotten HL if I were HIV neg.  My hunch is that I would not have.  It would only be speculation to venture any guess regarding that.  I do know that this lump in my armpit area was not there until mid September but in the few months leading up to it, I would from time to time feel some tightness in my neck glands.... not sure that is indicative of lymphoma but is a symptom I remember.  I also had a night here and there where I would wake up in the middle of the night with mild night sweats.  These sweats were nowhere nearly as severe as those experienced back in 2010 when I was really sick with AIDS.   

As far as feeling tired, I really didn't notice any abnormal fatigue really.  Its become the 'new norm' to get tired easily therefore I cant say that was a red flag in my case.  I would say that being HIV+ does not necessarily portend a diagnosis of NHL (non Hodgkin lymphoma) or HL (Hodgkin lymphoma) is imminent.  Those of us who are HIV+ should be aware that we are at risk of developing such however.  It bites man!..... just another dreadful thing to add to our list of possible health complications to watch out for.

A swollen lymph node, in and of itself, is nothing to be alarmed by.... its when the swelling persists and the node feels somewhat hard an effort to find out more should be made.  I plan to ask my ID Spec more about the link between HIV and HL when I see him next week and will share any information I get. 

Perhaps today I will get the results from my PET and know exactly how far my HL has progressed.  This waiting for results is a bit nerve-racking.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 03:04:57 am by hope_for_a_cure »

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 03:08:57 am »
I'm a light weight too unless it's tequila shots with Mark/aztecan.

Mark is awesome! 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 07:26:11 am »
Mark is awesome! 

A special treasured soul, indeed.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2013, 11:10:32 am »
Just hoping you get some good news today about your PET scan and staging. 

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2013, 04:01:14 pm »
My treatments start Tuesday!  I just got the call from my oncologist's nurse but the thing is, Dr Lu is on vacation and she (my nurse) is not able to convey the results of the test due to protocol.  Sooooo... I am thinking of getting a copy of my PET results tomorrow from the Medical Center for my personal review.  I HATE WATING!!! 

Believe me, I am not happy about not being told what stage this HL is in yet... but that's just the way its going to be.  She cant disclose and my doctor is away.  The silver lining here is that I can get going with these treatments ASAP!  This is the latest and thanks again for those of you who are sending me good vibes.  I feel them and appreciate you taking a moment to do so.  Sending you my best in return.

J

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2013, 10:56:43 pm »
It always seems when you want info, the doc is on vacation.  You can call all year long for minor things and they're always there.  ;)

Just wanted to wish you the best, again, as you start treatment.  If you're feeling up to it, let us know how you're doing. 

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2013, 04:15:26 am »
I had an interesting Friday.  There is an 'orientation' that most oncologist offices recommend for people who are about to start chemo.  My overview was provided by the pharmacist who works in that particular office.  It was very informative and actually put me at ease somewhat.  Needless to say, I am still a bit nervous about the possible side effects but thankful they have already written the prescription for some really good anti nausea medication. 

I ventured over a bit early to have lunch at my favorite Thai place and do a little shopping before heading to the Medical Center for my appointment.  I was in a store and what do you know... look up and there is Dr Lu (my oncologist).  We chatted for a while about my upcoming appointment.  He reiterated that his week of 'vacation' was not time off for fun but rather time needed to take care of some personal things.  He is one of the new doctors that has come to the cancer treatment center and evidently he has just recently moved here within the past month.  I really like this guy! 

My PET and CT scans were done over a week ago so I dropped by the imaging center and picked up copies of my reports. Maybe its just me but I had to see just what it was that they found.  My read is that I may be at stage 2 but of course will know for sure early next week when I start treatment.  The CT picked up a small bit of scaring in my lungs but I honestly think that may be possibly the result of the Bronchoscopy done in 2010 when I was being diagnosed with AIDS.  That nasty PCP Pneumonia sure made for some ugly chest x-rays as I recall.  The hospital did go in and 'clip' a small sample from my lung for tests in March of 2010.

My liver, gallbladder, pancreas, adrenals, left kidney showed 'unremarkable' (which is a good sign).  Mild adenopathy in my upper abdomen around the aorta/cava which is inline with early stages of HL.  The report shows that I have Diverticulosis which is really no big deal (compared to the AIDS and cancer).  Sooooo... somewhat relieved and now armed with many questions for my Onc on Tuesday. 

I bet most of his patients don't go out of the way to obtain copies of their scan results but hey, I am not the typical patient.  One thing I learned from good ole' AM is that we OWN OUR HEALTH! 

Thanks again and have a terrific weekend everybody.

J
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 04:31:08 am by hope_for_a_cure »

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2013, 09:24:20 am »
I am sorry to hear about this diagnosis Hope. I wish you all the strength to get through the chemo and a speedy recovery!

Hugs.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #30 on: November 06, 2013, 04:17:44 am »
Good and bad news folks. 

The good is that my first treatment was administered yesterday and as of 4:00AM today I show no major side effects from it.  Atripla stayed down last night and this first cup of coffee this morning sure tastes good!

The bad news is that my Hodgkin Lymphoma is in a more advanced stage than I thought (AND hoped) it would be.  The fact that my PET and CT scans clearly show 4 distinct and separate areas where HL is setting up house puts me in the advanced category.  Those wonderful night sweats put me in a class B.  The cancer has not ventured into any vital organs yet but has indications of concentration in more spots than just my right side armpit area.  The official diagnosis is now Classical Hodgkin Lymphoma Stage 3b (mixed cellularity type).

My projected treatment schedule is now 6 to 8 cycles of ABVD with an interim PET scan when we get three months into this.  I have opted to have a port 'installed' to make chemo administration go smoother and also to save veins in my arms that I actually need as part of daily life.  The oncologist said that usually with patients receiving more than 4 treatments, a HIGH risk of vein collapse exists with these chemo drugs. 

My personal outlook is still optimistic but yes, the fact that I have stage 3 HL was not the best news of the day.  Actually, I was not totally surprised because I was feeling tightness in my neck and had developed a horrible pain in my lower back.  Thanks again for the support and e-mails, calls, and such.  We need to pay attention to our bodies when they are trying to tell us something.  Please go get checked out if you have any suspected weird swelling or pain.  Don't wait!

Sending all of you my best!

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #31 on: November 06, 2013, 09:58:47 am »
Just keep up the good work! Attitude is a big part of it. The port will be much better for you and it sounds worse than it really is, just keep it VERY clean.

Keep us updated.

hugs
-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline buginme2

« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2013, 10:38:35 am »
 Good  to  hear  you started  treatment  and so  far are tolerating it well.   You  have a amazing attitude regarding this and  sharing your experience really can help us learn about this ( since  lymphoma  is  common  with hiv  positive  people).

Hey I  forgot to mention.   This may be something to put in your back pocket.   The  Fred  Hutchinson  Cancer  Research  Center is conducting  treatment studies for people  with hiv  and  lymphoma.   They  are  doing stem cell transplants with the intention to both cure  the lymphoma and cure the HIV  also.   Your  definitely  not  at  the  stem  cell  transplant  stage  but  it's  always  good to be aware of some research you may qualify for.  I  can provide you with the link to their site if your interested.

Thanks for the update and I hope you continued  success in your treatment

Offline wolfter

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2013, 12:19:52 pm »
I've been thinking about you quite often and sending positive energy your way.  luvs and hugs.

Greg
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline britchick

« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2013, 02:59:50 pm »
hope,

Best wishes.I really admire your strength and outlook.Please check back in here when you can and let us know how you are.

britchickx

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2013, 06:22:02 pm »
I've been thinking about you quite often and sending positive energy your way.  luvs and hugs.

Greg

Thanks my friend!  I did better today than I would have thought actually.  My brother has been here and we got out and about for a short while this morning.  A good long nap this afternoon and still no nausea.  Of course that 'Emend' and other anti nausea drugs are keeping that chemo from making me sick. 

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2013, 06:26:54 pm »
hope,

Best wishes.I really admire your strength and outlook.Please check back in here when you can and let us know how you are.

britchickx

Having a spot of tea with graham crackers now!  I do have a bit of bruising in the veins where they took blood and where they inserted that IV for chemo.  That will clear up in a few days!  I can already feel less tightness in my neck and as I have read from others who go through chemo, this first treatment does a LOT of cancer killing.  Those little bastards are meeting their demise inside my body right now! 

Thanks britchickx!! 

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2013, 06:37:01 pm »
Good  to  hear  you started  treatment  and so  far are tolerating it well.   You  have a amazing attitude regarding this and  sharing your experience really can help us learn about this ( since  lymphoma  is  common  with hiv  positive  people).

Hey I  forgot to mention.   This may be something to put in your back pocket.   The  Fred  Hutchinson  Cancer  Research  Center is conducting  treatment studies for people  with hiv  and  lymphoma.   They  are  doing stem cell transplants with the intention to both cure  the lymphoma and cure the HIV  also.   Your  definitely  not  at  the  stem  cell  transplant  stage  but  it's  always  good to be aware of some research you may qualify for.  I  can provide you with the link to their site if your interested.

Thanks for the update and I hope you continued  success in your treatment

Thanks for the message.  I think its not just an attitude about cancer, HIV, or any one thing that may or may not happen to me personally.  My strength (or should I say view) regarding life in general is derived partially from my metaphysical beliefs.  That of course is not a discussion I would go into here on AM.  Further, attitude is a choice is it not?  Would having a pity party really serve me well?  I think not.  It works for me and not only as an approach to life threatening disease but also in my day to day existence. 

Just me... that's not to say cancer is something to not take seriously or not research.  I have discussed the stem cell transplant with my doctor already.  That as you know would be an option if the chemo fails and other treatment options have been exhausted.  Thanks for your input!  I do appreciate your post.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2013, 06:47:08 pm »
Just keep up the good work! Attitude is a big part of it. The port will be much better for you and it sounds worse than it really is, just keep it VERY clean.

Keep us updated.

hugs
-Will

I will.  The risk of bacteria is low but can cause problems.  I will keep it squeaky clean!  LOL   

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2013, 05:04:02 am »
Atripla and Bleomycin may not 'play well together'.  I noticed a dark reddish streak on my skin last night after I took my Atripla.  This was at the site where chemo had been administered through IV and on the other arm where the Bleo test was done.  Bleomycin is the only one of the four chemo drugs that they did a 'prick' test for.  It can, in some instances, cause hives, shortness of breath, and a few other fun fun things. 

The fact that this redness occurred not only at the IV site but also where they did that test tells me Bleo is not liking something I took.  It was like a 4 inch streak running up my arm where that vein is!  The Atripla (specifically Tenofovir) is what I am thinking may be the reason for this.  The reaction was minor and there was no pain or itching associated with it but I will contact my doc today to discuss what I observed. 

http://reference.medscape.com/drug-interactionchecker

Other than that, I am three days out from that first treatment of chemo and doing better than I thought I would be.  There is still a bit of a metallic taste in my mouth and my hair is holding root for now. 

Thanks all!

J

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2013, 10:15:41 am »
Keep up the Good Work HOPE!!!! I admire your spirit!

-WIll
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2013, 11:25:01 pm »
Keep up the Good Work HOPE!!!! I admire your spirit!

-WIll

Thanks buddy.

Port placement surgery was done on Friday and now I am ready for treatment number 2!  I am scheduled to be at the oncologist's office at 8:30AM Tuesday.  Lets kick some more lymphoma butt !!! 

Edit to add:

Oh... I have decided that when my hair does fall out and come back in, I would LOVE for it to be reddish blond. 
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 11:27:20 pm by hope_for_a_cure »

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2013, 05:14:16 pm »
My second treatment went so much better than the first.  I was able to use the port for this one and they had no problems accessing it which certainly made things go smoothly.  My only side affect so far is extreme fatigue and the usual chemo heartburn the many folks get.  Feeling a bit more energetic now so perhaps the two naps today made a difference.

Thanks again for the support, e-mails, and phone conversations.  You guys are the best!  Still have my hair for now, but I understand it may thin out after the 3rd or 4th treatment.  I would love for it to come back in red. 

Stay in touch!

James

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2013, 05:15:36 pm »
Good Luck ! Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2014, 06:28:50 am »
I went in for my interim PET scan on Tuesday (3/4). In January I completed my third cycle of ABVD chemo and my Onc wanted to wait six weeks before doing the PET.  Honestly, I truly hoped/expected to see that tumors would have decreased in size. The results that came back showed no evidence of Lymphoma cancer whatsoever. At first I thought there may be some kind of mistake but after viewing the images with my doctor, I saw for myself the scan that showed no evidence of cancer.

I agree this looks great but of course I still need to complete three additional cycles of ABVD. The doc wants me to do a pulmonary function test on Monday to see how things are going with my lungs. We may drop the Bleo if the results show some issues.  Bleomycin (aka Bleo) can cause major lung damage.  That PCP Pneumonia I had back in 2010 wreaked enough havoc on my lungs quite frankly and if there is a way to proceed successfully without it, then I am all for 'dropping it'. 

Just wanted to post a quick update here. 

Offline zach

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2014, 06:32:32 am »
looks great? it is great. cancer free is awesome! congrats, keep doin what you're doin

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2014, 06:36:28 am »
Thanks Zach!  The news is still sinking in a day later.  Chemo is not fun but I will say its worth going through if the result is becoming cancer free.  I really will celebrate in late spring when the treatments are done.  Of course subsequent scans will always add a bit of anxiety but I do expect to be in remission for YEARS! 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2014, 06:57:29 am »
James ... its hard to find words to say how happy your update made me . Thanks for checking in and giving us the great news . xoxo .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2014, 12:45:24 pm »
I was discussing things w/ a friend of mine you just finished Chemio and got good results too...

We were talking "REMISSION" and stuff...

I could ear his wife , who is an oncologist and pain specialist, whispering in his ears:

Not remmission ... you're cured ! you're cured!

The enthousiasm was there... and I hope you feel it too

Congrats

Eric

Offline britchick

« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2014, 02:06:40 pm »
What amazing news!Thanks so much for keeping us updated :)

britchickxx

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2014, 01:15:10 pm »
I KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!

I am soo happy for you!!

It's good to hear news like this!

Now we gotta push for Henry  :-*

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline buginme2

« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2014, 01:24:54 pm »
Congratulations!!!! Thank you for the update, we haven't heard from you in awhile but I can assure you we were thinking about you and hoping things were going well.  Glad to hear this!  This is awesome.  Keep on keeping on!

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2014, 07:18:26 pm »

Now we gotta push for Henry  :-*

-Will

You know it!  A day does not go by when I do not 'push for Henry'.  I strongly believe that he will get a clear scan in the not to distant future.  The human body is amazing and the fight even at a cellular level to survive is resident in all of us.  Its no cake walk, but I truly believe Henry has more than what it takes to get through these treatments resulting in a successful outcome. 

Congratulations!!!! Thank you for the update, we haven't heard from you in awhile but I can assure you we were thinking about you and hoping things were going well.  Glad to hear this!  This is awesome.  Keep on keeping on!

Thanks my friend!  I will go through 3 more cycles (6 actual treatments) then should be done with chemo.  Going into the second half of this knowing the actual treatment is working helps more than words can begin to describe. 

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2014, 12:07:54 am »
Glad to hear the good news.  Thanks for sharing.

Ted

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #54 on: March 13, 2014, 07:41:08 am »
Glad to hear the good news.  Thanks for sharing.

Ted

Thanks Ted. 

I started back on chemo yesterday.  My port did not present any issues this time and the treatment so far is not causing major side effects.  For me, its worse from 3 to 6 days out.  Some foods will just not taste good and I have to take a daily pill for heartburn for a while.  The fatigue sets in pretty quickly though.  I crammed a lot stuff into the 6 week break I had before the interim scan.  Just knowing this stuff is working has given me an extra boost to endure the rest of these treatments.  I should be done at the end of May.

Edited to append: 

My CD4/VL numbers are still OK.  I must say they are better now than where they were heading before I started chemo.  My initial concern was that chemo would totally screw up my ability to keep HIV under control but that has not been the case. 

Blood work this week: CD4 came in at 224 (not great for most folks but for me its not terrible).  VL is less than 20.  I will take that!  Before I was diagnosed with Hodgkin Lymphoma my CD4 counts were dropping below 200 for the first time since I started treatment (March 2010) and my VL was starting to climb very slightly (275).  My Dr seems to think we can get those CD4 numbers well into the upper 300s when I stop chemo in late spring and of course keep the VL less than 20.

Thanks again everybody for your support!

James
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 07:56:44 am by hope_for_a_cure »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2014, 09:10:37 am »
Thanks for the update James, its great to hear how well you are progressing and handling it all . I remember when I was in chemo and the cycle I came to expect ... in my case I always felt fine the day of the infusion but was wiped out with fatigue on day 3 through the next week until I gradually got back to feeling better .

Hugs to you .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2014, 08:07:46 am »
The pulmonary function test I had done earlier in the week may validate a need to drop Bleomycin from my 'chemo cocktail'.  My hope is that I can proceed without it ASAP.  A known interaction with Tenofovir as well as long term damage to my lungs are the main reasons I really do not like this stuff.

I could tell when I took the test on Monday that my ability to breath deeply and exhale (to the extent they were pushing for) was difficult.  Studies show that there should not be a negative impact on treatment for Lymphoma at this stage (beyond 6th treatment). 

Heartburn like crazy after this last treatment but really no other physical issues so far.  Crazy expensive anti nausea drugs have helped push me into my Medicare Gap early this year.  They want 500 bucks for three pills.  OYE!!

Not trying to post ad nauseam here about my situation but if indeed this can provide some insight for known or anonymous readers, then its worth the effort to post here. 

Have a good weekend everybody!

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2014, 11:27:06 am »

Heartburn like crazy after this last treatment but really no other physical issues so far.  Crazy expensive anti nausea drugs have helped push me into my Medicare Gap early this year.  They want 500 bucks for three pills.  OYE!!

Sounds like Zofran.  :( Expensive but damn good.

Hang in there buddy, thinking bout ya

-Will
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 11:29:31 am by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2014, 06:47:01 pm »
Sounds like Zofran.  :( Expensive but damn good.

Hang in there buddy, thinking bout ya

-Will

Thanks Will.  Its Emend.  A three pill pack is crazy expensive.  Good news is that Merck has the ACT program that will kick in some help for me now. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.