Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:51:57 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 461
Total: 462

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Yet another new guy intro...  (Read 5247 times)

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
Yet another new guy intro...
« on: July 14, 2006, 02:56:33 pm »
Hello everybody!

Since we are all crawling out of the woodwork, let me take this opportunity to introduce myself.  My name is J. R.  I live in San Francisco, CA, been here for 17 years now.  I am an attorney, and I have AIDS.  I tested positive in October 1991 (me and Magic!), and its been mostly uphill since then.  First bout with PCP in 1996, (in the middle of law school), second bout in 2005, which I am just now fully recovered from.  On meds, responding well, side-effects kicking my butt, but I cope.  Since I took my first test in '91, and it was positive, I can only guess at when I was actually infected.  I assume that it was in the very early '80's, but it  could be as late as 1989.  Anyway, I lived life after about '82 assuming that I was infected.

All through school, I supported myself as a bartender in various gay bars throughout SF (and before that Denver--Charlie's).  My favorite job by far!!  (I'm a people person, how cheesy is that?)  Until last year, I had a trial practice, defending tenants in eviction actions.  Trying cases is the coolest thing I have ever done in my life!  It's not my favorite job only because it is a total drain on your karma.  In every case, someone wins and someone loses--the best you can hope for is karmic break-even, and that is rare.

I am now living on Social Security Disability (to the extent that is possible), and I am deliriously happy (to the extent that is possible).  I stay involved by going down to the courthouse a couple afternoons per month to serve as attorney-of-the-day, helping unrepresented parties with settlement conferences.  I am also working on a new project, but more about that in a second.

My current passions are:  Jasimine tea, which is excellent for nausea--almost better than... well, you know ;) and city building games currently "Children of the Nile" previously Pharaoh and the rest,  and am anxiously awaiting the release of Ceaser IV  My hubby considers these "the other man" if that tells you anything about my obsession!!

Okay, the new project:  I have decided to open an internet law practice, with my own website devoted entirely to AIDS and the law.  Unlike most lawyers with AIDS, I got it before I went to school--in fact testing positive was the event that spurred me into action.  Had to do something big before dying.  You can imagine, then, that the whole topic has preoccupied me somewhat for my entire career, and I have accumulated some knowledge in the area.  I had a gig putting people on SSDI/SSI working at an ASO, and I represented myself in my own application, so I have some insight.  I also know that the help that is currently available, through ASO's, is utterly inadequate.  Never once got the help I needed.  AIDS seems to be nothing more than a stepping stone for young attorneys on their way to something greater.  Not for me; it is my life.

I want this to be a FUBU operation (For Us, By Us), so I need your input to make this work.  I need content, and I think the best way to generate it is to answer your questions.  I DO NOT want to hijack POZ.com, though.  So, to the extent this is permissible (Mods...) if you post a question here in Living with HIV, (i.e. start a thread) or send me a private e-mail (address is in my profile), I will post an answer.  I will back up my responses with my license (which can be verified on the California State Bar website www.calsb.org).  Be aware though that the first words will probably be "You need to speak to a local attorney" due to jurisdictional considerations.  But I can give you some tips to make that interaction work better for you.  I generally check this forum in the morning and in the afternoon, Pacific time.

I worked up a response to Zephyr's post about the recent California case, and tried to post it in a new thread but utterly screwed it up--tried to attach a file that was too big and lost the entire message.  I was going to post it a few days later, but the thread seemed to have died out.  If anyone wants it, let me know.

So, there you have it.  Free legal advise.  Who could ask for more? 

Hope to hear from you soon,

J. R. Gabbard
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: Yet another new guy intro...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 05:05:52 pm »
tried to post it in a new thread but utterly screwed it up--tried to attach a file that was too big and lost the entire message.  I was going to post it a few days later, but the thread seemed to have died out.  If anyone wants it, let me know.

that's why i use notepad and the desktop (which is full of those little white icons) (burned too many times!)  :D

welcome :)

Offline Rob - Dublin

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 05:12:41 pm »
Hi J.R.

From one legal eagle to another, welcome to the family. I'm here a few months now and it is a super group and super resource (and I'm not charging you for that simple piece of opinion - unlike I do in the day job!!)

Great project and if I can assist you on this side of the world with any jurisdiction issues, please ask.
Rob
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 05:15:35 pm by Rob - Dublin »
14 Dec 2005 Tested Neg
21 Jan 2006 Infected
09 May 2006 Tested Poz
29 May 2006 CD4 551  (33%) VL 21,000
10 July 2006 CD4 632  (34%) VL 24,500

......when i'm good, i'm very good - when i'm bad i'm even better......

Dream as if you will live forever - Live as if you will die today.....

Offline Teresa

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 06:04:29 pm »
J.R.

Welcome to the forum family!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 06:06:03 pm »
Hello JR,

Welcome to the site. Free legal advice !!! What a deal !! Would you happen to know anyone in the pharmaceutical  or medical field !!

Thanks for sharing Jr. Will be looking forward to hearing more from you. I am sure you will get plenty of questions, and I have a feeling I know what a lot of those questions will deal with.

Take care of yourself---------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline DingoBoi

• Bailey's Infected Cream™ Served since 2004
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 06:11:44 pm »
any help you can provide is great!

Many of us have diverse professional backgrounds from travel agent, flight attendant, 401k's, health benefits, pensions, you name it, probably one of us is it... hell, there's even room for a lawyer. :P

None of us are the end all be all, but sometimes we can often provide a helping hand or point people in the right direction when it comes to dealing with what can be, at times, stressful and difficult issues.  Or hell, even travel advice.

Actually, that is one of the key features of this place i think, is that the sum is far greater than the individual parts

« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 06:13:32 pm by DingoBoi »

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 06:46:27 pm »
Welcome to aidsmeds.com - There really is something for just about everyone here.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline JR Gabbard

• Union Jacks
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 10:03:27 pm »
Hi J.R.

From one legal eagle to another, welcome to the family. I'm here a few months now and it is a super group and super resource (and I'm not charging you for that simple piece of opinion - unlike I do in the day job!!)

Professional courtesy, my brother, professional courtesy!!

I expect I will take you up on your offer, and I wholeheartedly agree with your observations about the group here.  Mature, level-headed discussions of very difficult matters.  I will be proud to be associated with you all.

The postings will start very soon....

J.R.
It goes like this
The fourth, the fifth,
The minor fall, the major lift,
The baffled king composing Hallelujah!

L. Cohen

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.