Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:39:10 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 795
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 631
Total: 631

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: can i have a dog? is it safe for me?  (Read 9816 times)

Offline jinghua

can i have a dog? is it safe for me?
« on: September 02, 2006, 01:39:39 pm »
hi guys!!!   :D

mmmm,i'm thinking of having a golden retriever.....is there any suggestions?
because i'm worry IT might get me viruses or illness.......

is it safe to have my own pet since +??
Live started to change...i wish i can have a better life...

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: can i have a dog? is it safe for me?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2006, 01:46:03 pm »
oh what a lovely choice of dog. just wanna say real quick --you can not pass HIV to a dog. HIV is a human virus. other members will likely add to this thread about the real risks associated with pet ownership (there are at least a half dozen which for the most part are easily managed with common sense hygiene) but for now I just want you to rest assured --dogs can't get HIV
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 01:50:18 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2006, 01:48:42 pm »
You absolutely can have a dog. There is no reason not to.
Hope you find a great new furry friend soon.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2006, 01:49:02 pm »

Are you saying you think a dog might make you ill? In answer to your question...yes it is safe to have pets and HIV.

Offline jinghua

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2006, 01:52:35 pm »
thank you..yes,i'm worry that the dog might pass me some viruses.....

NOT the other way.... :D   :D  oh,my god.....

this is so funny....ofcourse i know that i won't pass hiv to a dog~~~~my dear ala~~~

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2006, 01:55:04 pm »
Hell, the only thing that might make you ill is the smell of dog shit.  Gets me every time, but I wouldn't trade boomer for anything

Offline jinghua

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2006, 02:01:03 pm »
i had a dog 10yrs ago but then i was definately - .... ;)

i want to have a dog again,so this time must be very careful~~~~~i will definately get one few months later (i'll have ITs' photo uploaded)

thank you guys

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2006, 02:02:14 pm »
thank you..yes,i'm worry that the dog might pass me some viruses.....

NOT the other way.... :D   :D  oh,my god.....

this is so funny....ofcourse i know that i won't pass hiv to a dog~~~~my dear ala~~~

The only thing you can get from a dog is a love bug...and well worth it.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 02:04:14 pm by Dachshund »

Offline marc1236

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 02:09:08 pm »
It is NOT so funny not to think a dog could make you sick. When you WALK your dog you have to  bag their feces(sh_t)...it's ,a law.If you  touch their feces you should wear rubber gloves.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 02:23:32 pm »
It is NOT so funny not to think a dog could make you sick. When you WALK your dog you have to  bag their feces(sh_t)...it's ,a law.If you  touch their feces you should wear rubber gloves.

You don't need a hazmat suit to pick up poop...a plastic bag followed by washing your hands will work. Life is way too short...enjoy your pooch!

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 02:24:00 pm »
Yes, of course. We sleep in the same bed and she even "sits" at the table!

The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2006, 04:58:13 pm »
I am NEVER without a dog.
I love animals so much and I think they can be helpful emotionally.
It's a bummer when they die, but for me it helps to get over the grief if I just get another one.
I don't mean to sound callous.

Peace,
Kelly
POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline Eldon

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2006, 05:31:44 pm »
Hello Jinghua,

Go and pick out your favorite pooch and take him/her home. The pooch will love ya for that.

Have the BEST Day!

Offline wellington

• Don't sweat the little things.
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2006, 09:25:32 pm »
As long as you're able to take care of your furry friend and can afford food, meds, and time, I see it as a great investment - for you both.

Offline Sky

• Myspace
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2006, 04:42:26 am »
Hello Jing,

Good for you!  Having a dog is the most amazing thing in my opinion.  I've had my schnauzer for five years now, and she's definitely one of my best friends.  I hope you find one that you truely love  :)
Poz since 2003.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2006, 09:38:09 am »
Hey Sky I had a pair of mini schnauzers for 15 years...Louie and DERBY! They both died of old age in 2001. Jing... Go for it. I just took care of a 7 week old Boxer puppy...And I have been thinking about getting a dog too...Keep us posted...No reason in the world to worry about any health issues...Dogs are such great company. And the best thing is...they won't even care you have HIV...LoL.
Positive since 1985

Offline Christine

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2006, 11:55:08 am »
Hello,
I have four dogs! Absolutely you can have one. I don't touch the poopy without gloves or a plastic bag, then wash my hands afterwards. Which is pretty much common sense, but other than that they sleep in our bed, sit on the couch....

I also have a fish tank..and again I use long gloves when cleaning the tank, and wash my hands afterwards.

The only disease I know of specifically that hiv+'s need take great care in avoiding is toxoplasmosis from cat feces. But again, gloves, and good hygiene is what is needed to avoid it.

Have fun with the new pup! Goldens have ALOT of energy. Hope you like throwing balls, and Frisbees!
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2006, 12:21:05 pm »
If it werent for Johnny, Id be fucked!  He keeps the focus off of our daily tasks of taking meds, going to doctors, sitting on the pottie..  Get the idea... Go getcha a pooch.... ;)

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2006, 12:43:14 pm »
LOL,

Been pos for 12 years...

I have:

2 dogs
1 cat
1 guinea pig
2 turtles (my daughter's)
2 fish
1 bird

And of course, we have the usual stray gecko that gets in from outside.... At one point we had a 2nd cat, 2nd guinea pig and 2 hermit crabs....

So, lol, yes, it's safe.

Only thing is I deal with are allergies from so many pets lol.

Enjoy, and have fun!
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline angels4kelly

• IT JUST IS!!.....OKAY!
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2006, 03:14:06 pm »

This is wonderful....enjoy.

The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue.
-Anonymous

Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful.
-Ann Landers

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers

There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
-Ben Williams

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves
himself.
-Josh Billings

The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
-Andy Rooney

We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all.
It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate.
- Sigmund Freud

I wonder if other dogs think poodles are member s of a weird religious cult.
-Rita Rudner

A dog teaches a boy fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three
times before lying down.
-Robert Benchley

Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog.
-Franklin P. Jones

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain dogs I have
known will go to heaven, and very, very few persons.
-James Thurber

If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise.
-Unknown

My dog is worried about! the economy because Alpo is up to $3.00 a can. That's almost $21.00 in dog money.
-Joe Weinstein

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!
-Anne Tyler

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.
-Robert A. Heinlein

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principal difference between a dog and a man.
-Mark Twain!

You can say any foolish thing to a dog, and the dog will give you a look that says, 'Wow, you're right! I never would've thought of that!'
- Dave Barry

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
-Roger Caras

If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your
pocket and then give him only two of them.
-Phil Pastoret

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am.
POSITIVE SINCE-10/1990
CD4-610
CD4%-29.3
VL-UNDETECTABLE
VIREAD,VIRACEPT, EPZICOM

MOST RECENT...
10/9/2006
CD4's-714
CD4%-30%
VL-Undetectable
DIAGNOSES POSITIVE 10/90
SAME MEDS, VIREAD, VIRAMUNE, EPZICOM.

SHOOT FOR THE MOON! YOU MAY MISS,
BUT YOU'LL LAND IN THE STARS :)

Knowing others is intelligence;
knowing yourself is true wisdom.
Mastering others is strength;
mastering yourself is true power.

Failure is not in falling down,
but the staying down

Offline Sky

• Myspace
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2006, 04:41:10 pm »
Hey Sky I had a pair of mini schnauzers for 15 years...Louie and DERBY! They both died of old age in 2001. Jing... Go for it. I just took care of a 7 week old Boxer puppy...And I have been thinking about getting a dog too...Keep us posted...No reason in the world to worry about any health issues...Dogs are such great company. And the best thing is...they won't even care you have HIV...LoL.
lol yeah Lucy has been a great companion, and you're right, she could care less about HIV lol.
Poz since 2003.

Offline libvet

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2006, 06:03:28 pm »
Absolutely it is safe.   Heck, at the time of my diagnosis with a pretty much non-existant immune system, I had 6 cats, 3 dogs, and 2 fish tanks.

There really aren't a lot of diseases that your pets can pass on to you.

I am hard pressed to think of any dogs could give you except rabies (and that's not likely to be an issue).  Some minor stuff that anyone would have to deal with such as ringworm or scabies is a possibility, but unlikely.

Early on in the AIDS crisis, many doctors recommended getting rid of pets, but today I think very very few would.   

Definitely don't deprive yourself of animal companionship because of HIV.

And good luck to you!

Offline jinghua

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2006, 07:33:53 pm »
 ;D excellant!!! excellant!!! i will have a dog....and too many options for me now,hahaha....

Offline ChaplinGuy

• Eat my left foot
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2006, 09:00:50 pm »
Two things: studies show that people with pets (dogs included) lead longer, healthier and less stressful lives. In addition, it is important to note that dog feces (see previous post here) do not carry disease the same way that humans do. I'm not advocating that anyone use their bare hands, but at the same time don't be overly concerned if you have to pick up after man's best friend.

Here's pic of my baby, Addison:

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2006, 12:15:47 am »
aww... Addison is cute!

Drew

Offline Sky

• Myspace
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2006, 02:18:07 am »
Awww Addison is adorable!
Poz since 2003.

Offline alive2

• i guess im having a good day
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2006, 06:25:59 am »
well if not im in big trouble,i have 2, a shar- pei,and a jack russell,and a bengal cat,also a mut cat :), i only have problems when it comes to my fish,they keep dieeing on me,must be im not supposed to take them for a walk with the cats  ;D,really thou i havent had any problem,even when my jackie russell had 2 pups,and go figure i was the only 1 she would let hold them,im glad of it because she usually didnt like me at first,but now shes my little buddie,i wonder if she can tell im sick because since i have been sick shes been close with me,and its not like i really did much to get her to like me because shes my wife dog,and my wife hates the fact every dog shes ever gotten since we have been married 14 years now they have been kinda like im the one who is their favorite,so i dont see any problems,other than if your allergic to dogs  ;),you wil have a bit of combing in the season changes if you have them wherever your at,take care
« Last Edit: September 04, 2006, 06:28:22 am by alive2 »

Offline alive2

• i guess im having a good day
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2006, 06:27:24 am »
LOL,

Been pos for 12 years...

I have:

2 dogs
1 cat
1 guinea pig
2 turtles (my daughter's)
2 fish
1 bird

And of course, we have the usual stray gecko that gets in from outside.... At one point we had a 2nd cat, 2nd guinea pig and 2 hermit crabs....

So, lol, yes, it's safe.

Only thing is I deal with are allergies from so many pets lol.

Enjoy, and have fun!
may i ask you izzy how do you catch them little suckers? ;D

Offline IzPoz

• God, grant me the serenity...
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2006, 08:43:39 am »
LOL catch which ones?  Kitty is self-sufficient... dogs come when they want walked, food, attention... piggy is in a cage, fish are in separate tanks (betta and a 12 inch gold fish)... turtles are in a tank... and birdy stays in his cage unless I take him out, which is when I close my door so he doesn't go out in my living room and into the ceiling fan..... (splat!)
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

Offline marc1236

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 01:45:26 pm »
I've had hiv over 25 years and have had cats and dogs and never got sick from it.I never handle their feces.RI no longer have a dog ,but   my sister does have a kitten and an adult cat and so far no problem for me.Knock on wood.Though I do have a tightness in my skull.Hopefully thats not a brain tumore.I dont think it is since I would be having head aches and I am not having  any. If you do pick up the dogs feces..wear gloves.Its as easy as that. And a mask if you want to be more cautious.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 02:02:33 pm »
Here's a recent Q&A from thebody.com:

Question:

Sep 30, 2009
keeping yorkshire terrier as a pet is it safe for hiv patient?

Response from Dr. McGowan

Not only safe, maybe essential if it brings you joy, peace and love. Companionship is a good thing.

Best,

Joe

LINK:

http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Meds/Current/Q204234.html

Offline positively_me

• love me...love my monkey
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 02:58:01 pm »
The only thing that I have heard of that people (positive or negative) get from their dog is strep throat. I had a hiv- friend that had several bouts with strep before being told by his doctor to have his new puppy checked out for strep bacteria.  Sure enough, the dog was carrying strep bacteria in its ears.  I don't think it goes to their throats like ours does.  I've looked all over the internet for science to back this up and the closest I got was item #2 on WebMD.  I've read a couple of blogs where people did contract strep from their dogs but it wasn't life threatening.

I, personally, have owned a black lab/pit bull mix for the past 7 years.  I have been positive for almost 10 and have never had strep once since having him.  My dog is my best friend and worth risking a case of strep throat.   :)

http://www.medicinenet.com/sore_throat/page3.htm
Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.  - Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline cflas

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 08:21:50 pm »
OMG!  The consensus is GET A DOG!! (I had a roomate once who left in the  middle of my work schedule and took all my damn tupper-ware!  A dog would never betray you like that!).
Golden's are wonderful!  They're loyal and funny and great people-dogs.  They do shed, however, so if allergies are an issue for you then you might look at a dog that doesn't.    I have a Wheaten Terrier and Abbie is the best dog ever.  She had surgery for the removal of a cancerous spleen so together, we keep each other going!
YES! YES! YES!  GET A DOG!  chris

Offline a2z

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2009, 12:55:51 am »

http://blogs.poz.com/peter/archives/2009/06/poop_pee_and_love.html
Dates are blood draw dates:
3/12/15: CD4 941, 36.4%, VL UD
9/4/14: CD4 948, 37.9%, VL 150
5/23/14: CD4 895 --.-% VL UD - Truvada/Isentress
09/21/09: CD4 898 27.0% VL 120 - back on track, same meds.High level enzymes, but less so
06/15/09: CD4 478 21.8% VL 1150 - high liver enzymes... looks like I may not be resistant
05/22/09: Fixed insurance, resumed medicine
04/17/09: Ran out of medicine, could not resolve insurance problems
04/01/09: CD4 773 28% VL 120 - high liver enzymes
12/01/08: CD4 514 23% VL 630
10/17/08 started Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. -- possibly minor neuropathy, but otherwise okay.
9/10/08: CD4 345 17%, VL > 78K
8/18/08: CD4 312 18%, VL > 60K (considering meds)
12/19/07: CD4 550 28% VL > 100K (no meds yet)
Diagnosed 10/23/07

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2009, 07:34:13 am »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2009, 07:50:40 am »
Sam was my first "HIV ain't nothing but a thing" gift I gave myself. Taken daily, it's the best HIV medicine I've ever received. Just what the doctor ordered.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2009, 09:10:15 am »
if I hadn't had 7 cocker spaniels (my first spaniel, several of her daughters and a grandson) to feed every day, I would have just laid down and died after I got out of the hospital from having PCP, since my partner has passed away 2 yrs prior, Fourteen years, later the depression of losing my second long-term partner would have killed me if I hadn't had 3 cocker spaniels (3 great-grandsons to my first spaniel) to care for every day.

Dogs (pets in general) won't kill you - they'll keep you alive! ;D
(and love you uncondiitionally too!!  :-* )

I know this is a resurrected old thread; but any time pets come up, I have to give my two packs some recognition. Regardless of the support of doctors, family, new meds, friends, etc, without my dogs, I would have given up many times through the yrs and wouldn't be here at all.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Trace67

• Live, Love, Laugh!
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 09:36:18 am »
I would be so lost without my Peggy Sue! She has helped me in so many ways!

Offline Dale Parker

« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2009, 09:57:10 pm »
My niece has a black lab. I'll be going over there for Thanksgiving dinner on Monday and already I'm more excited about seeing the dog than my family who I love dearly. My sister gets pissed at me as when I phone I ask how the dog is before I ask about them. LOL 
Funny thing with the dog is she knows people are sick even before they know. She barked up a storm when I first met her which was prior to me being diagnosed. The dog also barked a lot at my nieces grandfather. It turned out he hadn't been taking his meds. I looked after her for 2 weeks when my niece was on vacation. She barked a lot at one woman in the doggy park. The second time I met the woman she did the same. I mentioned the dogs ability to predict sickness and asked if I could ask a personal question. It turned out she had just been at the doctor that day and told she was to go onto dialysis. It's amazing. When Stella (the lab) barks I listen.
       My cat was the same way. I had her for 19 years and she wasn't the friendliest cat. Rarely could I even get close to her for more than a few minutes. After I diagnosed myself she almost became a lap cat. I could pet her for hours and she gave me great comfort.
Apr 09  CD4 21, CD4/CD8 ratio 0 VL 500,000+
July 09 CD4 158, CD4/CD812% VL 750
Oct 09 CD4 157 CD4/CD8 14% VL UD
Feb 10 CD4 197, CD4/CD8 11% VL UD
May 10  CD4 252 CD4/CD8 12% VL UD
Aug 10 CD4 211 VL UD
Nov 10 CD4 272 CD4/CD8 0.138 VL UD

Offline camille07

« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2009, 08:18:25 am »
T-67 cute pug!

I have the sweetest dog and has been with me through all of this.  Just yesterday, I caught myself staring at her thinking...boy I'm so blessed.  I take her everywhere with me and I couldn't be happier.   My ID doctor had me bring her into the clinic and boy did the other patients and staff love and her and vice versa.

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2009, 12:25:16 pm »
I just want to add that if at all possible, please make every effort to adopt a pet from an animal shelter or a local rescue group.

Even if you are looking for a specific breed, there are many breed-specific rescue groups, easy enough to find by doing a Google search.

Also, www.petfinder.com is a great way to find a pet, you can do searches by location and breed, etc.

A friend of mine recently adopted a beautiful Chinese Crested that had been rescued as part of a puppy mill raid (I think in Texas). My friend is in Virginia but they were able to ship the dog to her.

Adopt a homeless pet!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.