Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:29:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 343
Total: 343

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Healthy food recipe for HIV+ wanted  (Read 10928 times)

Offline GoodByeAtripla

Healthy food recipe for HIV+ wanted
« on: October 24, 2011, 08:03:23 am »
Hi forums,
I am looking for healthy recipe dishes for breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert.  Recipe must obtain essential to maintain and promote good health for HIV positive.
Already done some search online but haven't found much using Google.
If you have favorite recipe, you would like to share. Please do, I would like to try it out myself and add it to my recipe book.

Personally I don't have a good round idea on what HIV+ people should eat.
I'll appreciates any recipe and recommendation.
"You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough."

Offline wolfter

Re: Healthy food recipe for HIV+ wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 09:10:24 am »
HIV+ people eat the same types of food that neggies do.  Not sure what specifically you're looking for.  It's gonna depend on what results you're looking for.  I switched to a vegetarian diet for health reasons with excellent results.  Provide us a little more information and you'll probably receive lots of suggestions.  Best of luck!

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 01:49:04 pm »

Just eat the same healthy foods negative people eat.  I eat oatmeal just about every morning.  I like to add fresh fruit, mainly a handful of: strawberry, blueberry, or apple will do.   I also add cinnamon to it, along with brown sugar.  If you use a half water and half milk mixture to what the directions advise it tastes better. 

Eating a variety of fresh vegetables daily is advisable, but can be costly.  I buy frozen bags of broccoli, green beans, and mixed vegetables instead of the canned variety.

I also try to keep my red meat consumption down to no more than twice a week.   

It's really a matter of having a well balanced diet, no different than our negative counterpart. 

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2011, 02:48:27 pm »
I'm generally a bourbon guy myself.

But that notwithstanding, listen to the guys above me. Eat healthy stuff. Or unhealthy stuff. Thing is, so long as you have the virus under control and are not dealing with gastro side effects from meds, your future is wide open.

There ARE certain things you should avoid if you ever develop advanced HIV/AIDS, to help counteract the impact on your gut form the virus and what would likely be harsher meds. But that's a bridge that you might very well never cross.

I just had a burger and fries and a beer for lunch. It was glorious. I try not to do red meat more than twice a week though. Upsets my stomach. But tastes so good I wanna take a fork to the nearest cow.

Listen to your body. If you find that certain foods upset you, then stop eating them. If you find yourself unable to tolerate lactose, deal with that issue. But as for a blanket HIV diet? There isn't one, not for the healthy HIV infected person (and you are one).

For what it's worth, I've had HIV since 1993, and have treated my body very well at times, miserably at others. I'm somewhere in between at the moment.

It's quite possible to over-think HIV insofar as it relates to your overall life paradigm. I honestly think that for the recently infected (say post 2005) it is more of an economic and psychological issue (affording meds, getting proper treatment, fighting stigma) than anything physical.

The times, they have a-changed. Not that HIV is No Big Deal. It's a Big Deal. But it's a big deal you can deal with, as opposed to being a monster to fear.

As you are really young, I recommend starting good healthy eating habits now, so that when you are older, you don't have to struggle so hard to fit into pants or take seven flights of stairs.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 11:25:48 am »
Well, as the resident old fart in this thread, I would concur with the above statements with a caveat - remember that eating has cumulative effects.

Youth is no protection against poor eating and exercise habits. Since there is mounting evidence that HIV by itself causes premature aging and the diseases associated with aging, it would behoove us to be proactive in our eating and exercising habits.

Eat as healthily as possible, the more vegetables the better. As others have said, keep the consumption of red meat to a minimum. I would add eating more fish is a good idea if you can afford it. 

All of this is pretty common sense stuff, but things many of the younger people among us may not be thinking about because they aren't all that concerned about cholesterol, triglycerides, etc.

I also recommend a multivitamin, just because your body needs the extra nutrients because you are fighting a chronic infection and that saps your body.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline peer_gynt

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 02:05:06 pm »

Hey,

I am do mostly Paleolithic diet, as it goes very well with the rest of my life style. It is mostly, nuts, fruits, veggies... and more importantly lots of meat and animal fat... without the use of any broze age cereals or legumes...
It has given me great results I was able to drop my body fat percentage from 18 to 13 %, without muscle loss (I also work out a lot).
I love this diet!! and I cannot recommend enough

Offline Growler

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 04:07:14 pm »
Hey,

I am do mostly Paleolithic diet, as it goes very well with the rest of my life style. It is mostly, nuts, fruits, veggies... and more importantly lots of meat and animal fat... without the use of any broze age cereals or legumes...
It has given me great results I was able to drop my body fat percentage from 18 to 13 %, without muscle loss (I also work out a lot).
I love this diet!! and I cannot recommend enough

Yeah, but were do I get my hands on a wooly mammoth? I keep checking the freezer section at Costco and they're always out of stock!

GROWLER (Who is who he eats out)   
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Offline edfu

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2011, 03:35:10 am »
Yeah, but were do I get my hands on a wooly mammoth? I keep checking the freezer section at Costco and they're always out of stock!

:D :D :D ;D ;D ;D
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

• I don'no...there may be Zombears...in theres...
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 05:49:53 pm »
This is pretty much what I eat each day...some variations depending on my mood.

Morning - Cantaloupe and grapes or yogurt

Lunch - Chicken quesadilla - get it from different places so it's never the same stuff inside...other than chicken.

Dinner - Sauté boneless chicken breast in lemon juice, have either a salad (greens or spinach) with an olive oil based vinaigrette or an apple. I also have a yogurt in the evening. Almost never eat red meat. Try to eat fish when I go out to a restaurant.

Because I weight train I also have a protein drink made with soy milk in the morning and the evening. Oh...other than the protein drink my liquid intake mainly consists of water. No sodas...coffee, tea maybe after a really nice dinner out somewhere but that's it. No milk. No juices...intestinal issues with juices.

In terms of HIV/AIDS not sure how much it helps, but figure it doesn't hurt. T-cells are in the 700s and am undetectable. One plus is my cholesterol is very low...110 the last blood test a month ago...before that it was 107.

Hope that helps somewhat.
Of course it's important. It's an email...

Offline nycol72

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 07:17:51 am »
Hi long time survivor!
thank for yours advices!
I'm a newly diagnosed...
Can you conctat me with your mail?
thank you!
Nic

Offline nycol72

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 05:21:38 pm »
Hi Long Term Survivor,
I can't answer with pm messages
please send me an email, if possible!
thank's
N

Offline LongTimeSurvivor

• I don'no...there may be Zombears...in theres...
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 07:02:05 pm »
Nycol72 - I don't usually use my email for these forums. I tried PMing you but your box is full. I'm not sure why you can't PM me. As far as I know there is no rule on here that says you can't. The only rule is that LongTermSurvivors section is restricted to LongTermSurvivors.
Of course it's important. It's an email...

Offline nycol72

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2012, 09:33:14 am »
Thank for your answers.
I've written to admin asking why I can't send messages, but I didn't receive answer.
I would like just to talk to you about training and hiv (training has benn always an important part of my life).
But I really understand you about privacy and your email.
Don't worry about my post, and thank's for your answers.
Hope you will have a wonderful 2012
nic

Offline wolfter

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 10:30:14 am »
You haven't made enough posts to allow you to PM yet. 

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.