Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:35:38 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772786
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 216
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Calling All LTS !!  (Read 29969 times)

Offline OutOfDarkness

Calling All LTS !!
« on: July 04, 2008, 02:47:26 pm »
Hello everyone :)

Just wondering if you would mind posting how long you have been living/surviving with HIV/Aids.  It has been awhile since I have felt optimistic, and I would really appreciate you sharing this info.  I find it very inspirational and it does help me with my outlook since I have been communicating on this forum. 

Peace!
2000 - seroconverted
2005 - cd4 350, VL 113,000
3/06 - started sustiva/truvada
3/08 - cd4 1,300 VL >50(undet.)

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
Re: Calling All LTS !!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 02:53:16 pm »
Hey OutofDarkness,

Living with HIV for Fifteen years,3 months....still counting.... . 1mar93-4jul08

"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline bear60

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 03:47:46 pm »
I tested HIV positve in 1989
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 04:01:31 pm »

Just wondering if you would mind posting how long you have been living/surviving with HIV/Aids.  It has been awhile since I have felt optimistic, and I would really appreciate you sharing this info.  I find it very inspirational and it does help me with my outlook since I have been communicating on this forum. 

Peace!

Tested POZ+ back in 1987, I was 31yrs old, so that was 20yrs. ago THIS JUNE 08, but may have been POZ+ for a lot longer than 1987, my guess would be around 1982, somewhere close to that, when I was 25 yrs. old, ( but this cannot be proven) I've had an AIDS diagnoses for the last 10 yrs (1998) back then I was 41 yrs old, I'm now 51 soon to been 52 THIS NOV 08.........I'm still HERE, alive and WELL, I'm not going out of this world anytime soon, if I do, I can assure you that it will be under a lotta PROTEST, KICKING & SCREEMING to the very END  ;D
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 03:29:48 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 04:29:36 pm »
I'm not trying to negate your need for inspiration and I'm only speaking for myself, but sometimes I think folks put some kind of mystical quality to our survival. To me it is nothing more than sheer, dumb, luck to have stumbled across the finish line to life saving meds. To me I dishonor the thousands of people who didn't make it by suggesting that my survival has a special meaning. It doesn't. I did not do one thing different from those that died before me except live long for HAART.

There's plenty of inspiration out there and it's not measured in years.

edited for typo
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 04:34:40 pm by Dachshund »

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 04:49:45 pm »
I tested positive in 1985 though likely seroconverted in 1981. I'll be 50 in 12 days, a miracle and a blessing  :D

As far as inspiration goes, there are many inspiring stories here at the forums not just here at LTS.

I hope that you can find the inspiration you want, wherever you can !

Cheers
Paul

Offline OutOfDarkness

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 05:02:42 pm »
I'm not trying to negate your need for inspiration and I'm only speaking for myself, but sometimes I think folks put some kind of mystical quality to our survival. To me it is nothing more than sheer, dumb, luck to have stumbled across the finish line to life saving meds. To me I dishonor the thousands of people who didn't make it by suggesting that my survival has a special meaning. It doesn't. I did not do one thing different from those that died before me except live long for HAART.

There's plenty of inspiration out there and it's not measured in years.

edited for typo

The request that I posted is just for my own personal issues and I hope no one takes offense to my inquiries.  I have been living my life since I tested poz thinking that I was given a death sentence at the time, so I have many issues that I am trying to overcome and sometimes it helps to know there people that can live a long time with this disease.  Just asking my own doctor has not helped with my concerns, as they can not give a prognosis because so much is still unknown, even with the life saving medications, because they have not been around long enough and who knows, really.

In no way do I feel that anything is "mystical" or unreal about long-term survivors, I believe we are all here for a reason and we all pass for a reason.  And as long as were all here, might as well try to help each other out.  I feel deep sorrow and a different kind of inspiration from those who have died and did not have the chance to be alive to see the day that we finally have some meds that we can somewhat or alltogether tolerate.  Why are we so lucky??  I can only hope to live as long as some people have and it just helps knowing that it can actually happen for some people.  

Peace.
2000 - seroconverted

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 05:15:27 pm »
I'm not sure how long you've been positive and I'm sure your concerns about your survival are genuine. However, this forum is about LTS for LTS and we ask people to respect that request.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of the type of response you're looking for and as I said in my original post, I'm only speaking for myself.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 05:18:05 pm »
Hi,

Became exposed to HIV, around this week in 1985. tested positive in October of 1985. Was never on medication until October of 2003. In 1999 My t-cells were in the mid 900 range, and viral load about the same.

I never had my t-cell count/viral load  checked again, until unfortunately I had an aids diagnoses in 2003, at which time, my t-cells were at 16, percentage around 4% and a viral load over 500,000. Make sure, to continue with those check-ups and bloodtests.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 06:10:29 pm »
Outofdarkness,  I was diagnosed HIV+ in 1989, AIDS in 1994.  So, for some unknown reason, I'm still around. 

I don't know how long you've been HIV+, but I'm thinking it's pretty recent.  I understand you wanting to get some inspiration from us LTS, but if you post in Living With, there are other people who have good stories.  Good luck to you.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline OutOfDarkness

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 06:21:03 pm »
Outofdarkness,  I was diagnosed HIV+ in 1989, AIDS in 1994.  So, for some unknown reason, I'm still around. 

I don't know how long you've been HIV+, but I'm thinking it's pretty recent.  I understand you wanting to get some inspiration from us LTS, but if you post in Living With, there are other people who have good stories.  Good luck to you.

What do you consider LTS? 
2000 - seroconverted

Offline OutOfDarkness

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 06:24:16 pm »
Thank you to those who have responded without judgement, it is appreciated. :)
2000 - seroconverted

Offline OzPaul

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 06:33:59 pm »
There has been some discussion/threads here about who is or what is an LTS.

You might find these useful.

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=20519.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=11342.0

As Betty Says, you might find some inspiring stories at Living With or perhaps start a thread there seeking inspiring stories and include a bit about yourself. Just a suggestion.

You might want to look at a web site called The Body.com
The have several sections with inspiring stories of folks with HIV/AIDS.

I'm glad to see you reaching out. I hope you find the hope, support and inspiration you're looking for  :D

In Peace
Paul

Offline OutOfDarkness

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 07:07:40 pm »
Thank you Paul -

Should someone introduce themselves for each individual subject?
2000 - seroconverted

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2008, 08:10:13 pm »
Thank you Paul -

Should someone introduce themselves for each individual subject?

I don't believe Paul was saying to give a complete introduction every time you start a thread.  If you've never posted in the LTS forum before, we usually appreciate folks introducing themselves and telling us how long they've been diagnosed. 

I think what Paul meant was, if you're going to do a thread on like "inspirational stories," you might want to include why you would like them.  At least that's what I'm assuming he meant.  I could very well be wrong. 

I wasn't judging you; please don't take it as that.  I don't believe Dachs was either.  We're a little defensive about our LTS "group."  We do ask that people respect our "space" as far as starting threads and posting.  Of course, anyone can read the threads.

Good luck. :)
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Winiroo

• Positive since 1991
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 08:54:49 pm »
I tested HIV positive in 1992 diagnosed with AIDS in 1994. Likely infected in 1991.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 09:56:34 pm »
Funny thou shouldst ask (been watching way to many programs on the revolution today) but as of this month, it will be 23 years since I tested positive.

I tested positive in July 1985, but I don't remember the exact date. I do remember getting drunk.

My first doc thought I was infected in the spring of 1980, for a lot of reasons I won't go into at this point.

Hang in there OoD. It is very possible for you to live a normal life span if you take good care of yourself. There are no guarantees, but, as I said, it is entirely possible.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline MOONLIGHT1114

• Cheech 2.2.94 - 4.23.10 We miss you so much!
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 11:17:38 pm »
Hi Out~

I tested poz on 12/22/93, so about 14-1/2 yrs for me.  I prob seroconverted in 1992, no sooner. 

You may be interested in reading our stories in the thread "Introduce Yourself" also in the LTS threads here.  I am Reply #93.  :)

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=11342.0

~ Cindy in Maryland
HIV+ since '93, 1/12 - CD4 785 and undet.   WOO-HOO!!

Offline chipsir

• Latest Pic
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 11:45:21 pm »
Hi Out...........I have been dianosed Poz for 23 years, not sure how long before that, that I was infected I think at least 2 - 3 years.  Still healthy and going strong at 60 viral load undectetable and CD4's bounce around at 475  to 650
Dennis

Offline OzPaul

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 10:20:59 am »
Hey Betty

Thanks for the clarification on what I was attempting to say  :D In my hurry to respond as I was headed out the door for a 4th of July barbecue, my words got a little muddied.

Cheers
Paul

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2008, 11:35:05 am »
I have been living my life since I tested poz thinking that I was given a death sentence at the time, so I have many issues that I am trying to overcome and sometimes it helps to know there people that can live a long time with this disease.  Just asking my own doctor has not helped with my concerns, as they can not give a prognosis because so much is still unknown, even with the life saving medications, because they have not been around long enough and who knows, really.

Have you considered addressing these obsessive death thoughts with one-on-one therapy sessions?  Your HIV doctor should be able to give you a referral.  Your HIV doctor is there to look at your lab work, etc. -- not deal with mental issues, and don't take offense at my suggestion.  Something like 60% of HIV patients need mental health assistance, but probably only half of that figure actually actively seek it out, and even less on a regular basis.

I've noted that in your profile you live in the northeast (though you don't say where specifically) but that you've been diagnosed for 8 years and have had a difficult time locating support and services.  Could you please perhaps elaborate on these difficulties in this thread and perhaps that might result in some worthy suggestions.  You stated you've seen a therapist, but it seems by reading between the lines that it wasn't on a consistent basis.

Obsession with death can lead to chronic anxiety issues for HIV patients and speaking from experience such thought patterns, while treatable with benzodiazepines that is only an appropriate short-term solution, and for longer term results you need to avail yourself of consistent cognitive behavioral therapy sessions.

Frankly asking others how long they've survived is a false approach -- you could also ask how many LTS's have croaked in that same period.  It's a futile exercise.  Best to simply focus on what's going on in your head and/or if you're simply inventing worries where really there should be none, or at least very few.

I'd be happy to describe my fabulous lab numbers, my years of surviving HIV, and all of the atrocious things that also happened to me during that period -- but I doubt it would be a lot of help for you at this point in time.  I'm sure you'd find it interesting, but I think it would just negate what needs you seem to be having right now.

Best of luck though, and I hope you can talk more about what your experiences have been with this "death" issue and resulting therapy you've sought in the past.

David
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 02:02:46 pm »
Diagnosed with HIV in 1984, LTNP for 21 years have had AIDS diagnoses the last 3 years so a total of 24 years.

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 07:39:00 pm »
Infected 1983
Diagnosed July 1987 = 25 years, but 21 officially.

Full blown AIDS diagnose 1995

Stable now.
Undetectable since 1996. CD4 count 750.

Good luck

Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline redhotmuslbear

• A genuine certified freak of nature, and a hot one
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 09:45:50 pm »
While the initial voyeuristic bent of the thread bugged me, I'll add in.

Infected Labor Day weekend 1982 (frozen CSF from a year later had bugs in it)

Months of seroconversion illness pursued by docs as mono, Epstein-Barr and other conditions

....denial is a treatment option!

+ ELISA 12/94 unknown to me at the time, due to a surgeon cutting himself during brain surgery

+ ELISA known to me 5/98 when Dx with hep A

went off meds for study 01 Oct 2005

I can ascribe my longevity only to freaky genes, chance, and the wisdom of those who have gone before me.
"The real problem is not whether machines think but whether men do." - BF Skinner
12-31-09   222wks VL  2430 CD4 690 (37%)
09-30-09   208wks VL  2050  CD4 925 (42%)
06-25-08   143wks VL  1359  CD4 668 (32%)  CD8 885
02-11-08   123wks off meds:  VL 1364 CD4 892(40%/0.99 ratio)
10-19-07   112wks off meds:   VL 292  CD4 857(37%/0.85 ratio)

One copy of delta-32 for f*****d up CCR5 receptors, and an HLA B44+ allele for "CD8-mediated immunity"... beteer than winning Powerball, almost!

Offline joemutt

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2008, 12:33:32 am »
Diagnosed June 97
Meds June 97
Undetectable, CD4 around 1500 46%
Though it s been a long time I personally dont consider myself a
LTS, but it's debatable.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 12:37:56 am by joemutt »

Offline atxpozguy

• POZ+ 32 year milestone reached for Austin man
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2008, 03:39:07 am »
Tested for the bug in 1983, reinfected too many times to remember  :o , full blown aids 2001 and started on meds. Doing good except for nagging neuropathy.

1983 - 2008 = 25 years/half my life "living" with the AIDS Virus, excellent healthcare, AARP Medicare RX takes care of the meds, my home and vehicle paid for, Life is good... 8)
32 years poz LTS with no expiration date

Diagnosed HIV 1982
Diagnosed AIDS 2001

As of June 2015, VL <20 CD 435 26%

Currently taking a daily total of 17 meds while only two meds for AIDS, the rest for other body organs effected by years of retrovirals. Diagnosed with Lung Cancer 2012, COPD Stage 4 2015, IBS 2013, Chronic Cystitis, Chronic Renal Failure, Hearing Loss, Depression and everyday comes with different health episodes which has sent me to the Er via EMS on a regular basis.  My quality of life has been impacted dramatically.

Offline OutOfDarkness

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2008, 05:19:29 am »

Voyeuristic?  Not at all.  Just trying to figure out if there is a good possibility that I will be around for awhile.  Thank you for replying, I didn't mean to make people feel uncomfortable about this, really.  I just thought it would be easier to ask and didn't have the time really to take a tally.  I figured most people give out this general bit of info. anyway.

Thank you to all of you who have replied so far.  You have helped me and I appreciate that, I think it's great that you all can share in this one thread with a newbie. :)  Peace.

2000 - seroconverted

Offline OutOfDarkness

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2008, 05:20:26 am »

Voyeuristic?  Not at all.  Just trying to figure out if there is a good possibility that I will be around for awhile.  Thank you for replying, I didn't mean to make people feel uncomfortable about this, really.  I just thought it would be easier to ask and didn't have the time really to take a tally.  I figured most people give out this general bit of info. anyway.

Thank you to all of you who have replied so far.  You have helped me and I appreciate that, I think it's great that you all can share in this one thread with a newbie. :)  Peace.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 05:22:56 am by OutOfDarkness »
2000 - seroconverted

Offline OutOfDarkness

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2008, 05:24:12 am »
I can't even post right, sorry about the duplicate and my response being in quotation format :-[
2000 - seroconverted

Offline Texan38

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2008, 05:33:35 pm »
I tested positive in 93' when I was 23 years old, diagnosed with AIDS in 2003, and have been on Reyataz and Combivir since.  Currently I'm undetectable.
In Hollywood an equitable divorce settlement means each party getting fifty per cent of publicity.
~ Lauren Bacall

Offline OutOfDarkness

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2008, 06:38:57 pm »
It's good to hear so many of you doing so well.  Hang in there!
2000 - seroconverted

Offline OutOfDarkness

Thank you for replying
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2008, 08:21:46 pm »
:)To all who have helped me out by replying thanks so much.   :-*
I never could really get peace of mind with this disease and not knowing how long I have.  Your replies have helped me out tremendously, making me feel at ease about mortality and the fact that it's going to happen when it was meant to happen and I really have no control over it.  Although I would tell myself this, I think I just needed to see some flat out black and white proof.  Over the past few weeks I have had to check myself and my own attitudes and how some ways that I think need to change.  I am even feeling more confident enough to begin to think of how I will speak to my kids about this.  I actually want to have this discussion with them, they are old enough to understand if I can explain it to them simply and factually and do it in a way that does not leave them worried for my life.  I will be spending my days this summer coming up with a way to do this and going to a new support group that I attended this week, and also by chatting with you all now and again.

This has not been an easy post and I apologize to anyone who became offended, I now realize that I could have gone about it differently.  I just saw an icon to use for polling, which I should have used.   

Peace to all of you.
2000 - seroconverted

Offline Grannyd1

« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2008, 12:20:54 pm »
Hello all
 As an answer to  how long have some of us been living with Hiv/Aids? I am  a 60 yr old married woman and have been living ithe aids as far as i know now over 21 yrs along with HepC. Well my HepC has been gone now Thank God for over 8 yrs now! I have been married for 15yrs but we have been together now all together 21 yrs  that's why i say ive had it over 21 yrs because my husband is negotive in both diseases! I obviously got it b4 we even met.How i dont know 4 sure.i found out about 2 years after we were married. I had no symptoms til then and didnt even know what hiv/aids was plus when we went ot get married i thought we were suppose to get blood tests but we didnt have to i was going to  but my husband said we didnt have to!So who would of though!lm pretty healthy and working.Have been working  for a long time!l work 6 hrs a day  at 5 days a week and i luv it.I also have Neuropathy/asthma/bronchitus.But the asthma/bronchtus  is no bother any more since i quit smokeing a lil over 8 yrs ago.So this is a little of my story.Please feel free to e-mail me at anytime i always answer my mail.And God Bless and Take care to all.   Love carol
l am a 58 yr old married  woman living and surviving with Aids now over 20 yrs and HepC over 15 But HepC has been undetected now over 6 yrs!Husband is Negotive in bothe Diseases  i also have Neuropathy for over 10 yrs.

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2008, 01:01:03 pm »
Hi Carol,

I just wanted to welcome you to the forums.

Very inspiring story. Life is very strange. You have certainly shown that in your marriage.

Glad that you have survived HepC, ashtma and bronchitis. Sorry about the Neuropathy. I share that with you.

Congrats on 8 years of no smoking. I don't smoke, but there are several here who do and are trying yo quit.

Looking forward to hearing more of your story of surviving 21 years of being positive. Have you ever taken any medications for HIV?

welcome again,
ronald

"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline chipsir

• Latest Pic
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2008, 01:09:07 pm »
Hi Carol....I have been + for 23 years now, no aids related illnesses thank goodness.  My CD4 is around 5 to 600, and viral load is undetectable, I have been on meds since '95, guess I am just one of the lucky ones.  I am glad you have a life partner....that is the only thing missing in my life.  I am 60 and been alone for all of my + days except for a three month dating scene about 3 years ago.  He said it didn't matter, but in the end it did.  Oh well I have many other blessings so it is best not to regret what can't be changed. Wishing you good health and many many happy years to come.
Hugzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Dennis

Offline Graywolf

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2008, 03:47:07 pm »
Poz here 23+ years and 61 years old and to be honest I wish I could die. I am having non HIV related neuromuscual spinal problems due to chronic pinched nerve that doctors ifnored untiil my legs watered to almost nothing kept saying it was HIV, 7 years in azt adn zerit also did a lot of nerve damager which doctors deny.

My condition worsened a lot duriing the past 3 months,  Iused ot have 23" thighs and 16" calves form decades of long distance cycling and hiking, not left calf is 10" and righy is 13" and thights are 18" I am in constant pain legs and feet feel like they are being crushed in a vice. wait months to see one neurologist after another who pulls a blank, had back surgery 2 years ago improved slightly but now worse than ever. They're pretty much preparing me for life without legs, when you're 61 and poz you get kicked to the curb

I have no living family and no friends for support, plus on disabiliity between ssdi and private insurance  make over the limit for any sort of aids plus have money in money markets which i was planning in using for retirement

Life is hell today

Ray
"If we don't learn to live as brothers, we will perish as fools" - Dr martin Luther King Jr

Offline mudman8

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2008, 04:06:44 pm »
Actually tested in 91 after finishing grad school.  I was getting rashes and problems due to stress so it was no surprise, especially since most of my friends and ex partner were all dying in mid-late 80s..  I made it till 95 when the cocktails came out.
Life is analog

Offline chipsir

• Latest Pic
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2008, 10:14:33 pm »
Hi Graywolf............Sorry to hear you are having such a bad day, I sure hope tomorrow is better for you.  We have a program at our local ASO where you can get hooked up with a buddy.  Is there anything like that in your area?  I have been a buddy to 3 others so far and I find I get as much from being their buddy as they get from me as a volunteer.  Life stinks sometimes and we as LTS's can at times feel very left out and ignored.  Anytime you want to chat just send me an email. Take care and big Hugzzzzzzzzzzzz to you
Dennis
Dennis

Offline purpledragonfly

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2008, 11:12:46 pm »
I tested poz in 88 but pretty sure i became poz in 87, was sick in 97 with only 29 tcells and vload over 20,000. I started meds. then. I am doing great with the hiv. my tcells count is about 700 and vload is undetectable.I think the reason i am still alive is because i am just too stuborn to give in to it. Now if i could just stop getting older and having the medical problems related to age i would be feeling really good. I have COPD, and had full knee replacement on my right knee this last Jan. I seldom think about being poz and i think its because of all the age related health problems i am having. Oh to be young again. lol, Oh well, there are some advantages of being old, i just don't know any right now. lol. No really i have found if you have a possitive attitude about live in general and only try to live one day at a time and not let the little things get to you, then life is better. Plus a little green once in awhile doesn't hurt either.

Wendy

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2008, 11:31:04 pm »
Oh to be young again. lol, Oh well, there are some advantages of being old, i just don't know any right now. lol. No really i have found if you have a possitive attitude about live in general and only try to live one day at a time and not let the little things get to you, then life is better. Plus a little green once in awhile doesn't hurt either.

Wendy

Wendy...I like the way you think about being HIV+ ..........you took the words right-outta-my-mouth  ;D
and I just wanted to say THANK YOU!!!
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2008, 11:05:35 am »
Hello Out,

My name is Joe and I have been poz for 24 years.  I am also a parent and while I applaud your wanting to tell your children, please wait and consult a professional for guidance.  I became poz when Kate was 3 and we worked with a child psycologist to devise a plan that met her needs and not ours.  I can tell you that what matters most is your reassurance that you love them, they had nothing to do with your infection and your promise (and commitment) to always tell them the truth.

Trust me, your children already know that something is amiss, and they will look to you for guidance on how to react to your diagnosis.  I am not trying to scare you, rather make you aware of some of the experiences we had with Kate.  In the end, it all worked great and Kate spent years going to my ASO and doing community work.  Once she understood the situation and knew she could ask questions, and get honest answers, her fears appeared to be minimal.

If you are newly diagnosed, take a deep breath and try to slow down.  What you are experiencing is perfectly normal and it will take time to adjust.  For now, take it one day at a time, be kind to yourself and your family and enjoy what you have, as all the other can wait.  Life is not a race and should never be lived in fear, so cut yourself some slack, do something nice for yourself and recenter yourself on the present, rather than questioning your future.

Offline farb

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2008, 11:36:47 am »
21 years, 7 months and going strong.  I was diagnosed at the age of 22 in 1987 and was sure I'd be dead within 2 years.  Wow, was I ever wrong!  Started meds around year 9 while my cd4 was hovering in the 400s, and thanks to finding the right combo of meds, I now have a cd4 that hangs around between 1000-1100.  Don't despair... If you stay on top of your treatment, religiously take your meds, stay involved with other HIV+ people (either in person or thru the web), you can have a happy, healthy and fulfilling life!

Offline chipsir

• Latest Pic
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2008, 12:38:41 pm »
yes I agree farb, damn but it would be good to share life with someone though lol, not had a boyfriend since I was diagnosed
Dennis

Offline newbernswiss

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2008, 08:49:29 pm »
Positive since 1990, Cd4 count was 30 when diagnosed. That was a life time ago. After many pills swallowed, at deaths door knocking, I'm still strong and going. VL undetectable, Cd4 500 give or take a few, work  and live life full time. No time for Living with HIV. HIV lives with me. :D

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2008, 10:39:39 am »
I always strongly believed that I would survive.... and that is what connects me to a lot of other LTS.

Although it is no guarantee for a long life I think it is absolutely conditional for survival to have a positive look on your survival chances.

Stay strong and love yourself.

Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2008, 11:21:06 am »
Out started this thread in July, and hasn't bothered to chime in since that month.  Have we decided that this is still a valid thread or question?
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2008, 01:23:36 am »
Out started this thread in July, and hasn't bothered to chime in since that month.  Have we decided that this is still a valid thread or question?

good question. I say let it fade away

Offline miro

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2008, 07:43:38 pm »
Hi All,
My name is Miro. This is my first post. Nice to see you. Now I live in the UK but I was born and used to live in Poland.
Diagnosed Jun 1991 HIV + HEP C
Meds  2000 (CD4 500 VL ?). Now: Reyataz+Kivexa+Norvir+Tenofovir
Cure HEP C in 2002
CD4 around 1100
VL Undetectable sometimes around 100,

Offline chipsir

• Latest Pic
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2008, 07:40:42 am »
Well I have noticed that there still are a few that join so I would say for their sake just to leave it as is.  It is not what I expected or waas looking for when I joined but I still check in to see what is happening and to make the odd comment
Dennis
Dennis

Offline bigrob37

• life is good
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2008, 01:37:16 pm »

Peace!
hey I just found out I was postive in april but the doctors say I have been postive for about 18years or so. showing how low my count was and how messed up I was when I went into er. At this present moment when I wake up each morning I thank god that I woke up. Been feeling really bad hope these feelings will go away someday. LIFES GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.