Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:38:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 580
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 472
Total: 472

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Newly Dx's  (Read 8458 times)

Offline latingalnc

Newly Dx's
« on: September 09, 2006, 05:18:56 pm »
I was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago, and was in shock. I felt worse for my PCP than for me she looked like she didn't know what to do or say. I had just began seeing my HS sweetheart again, and we had spent a wonderful weekend together. I'd asked him, to use a condom which was unusual for us(we have been together off and on for 27yrs). I know it's a really long story, but any way. I told him that I had gotten the test the day before at my yearly check up and he said I was just stressing when the MD called and wanted me to come in. I felt like it was pos when she called me. I told him I was pos and and he wanted to know what we needed to do from this point on. I told him that I wasn't going to marry him now because of this. He got mad and said if you had cancer would you marry me I said I'm not sure...he said well I still want you and we just will have to change how we make love and other things. I told my supervisor because I was afraid that I might need to out sometimes if I got ill and didn't want her to think I was just slacking. She was floored. See I'm a HIV/Aids health educator and I work as a nurse. So I should have known but i can't change the past. I was married and I had to tell me spouse. I told him with my pastor who was floored also and said I might want to get tested again. I said I was. My husband was unfaithful while he was traveling on the road as a truck driver, but I never thought he wouldn't use protection. He said he was going to be tested and to this date he hasn't that I know of. My present lover has been tested and has come back neg both times. We know he has to be tested again in 3months and then in 6months. He wants me to move to NY with him. He says that I could get better care and there are more resources there. I live in the South in the bible belt. I haven't told my family or kids yet. I'm going to try and wait until they are all together in one place. I have some days where I just want to crawl in a hole and die, and then there are days I feel great. I also have fibromyalgia which makes me very, very tired so..I'm just feeling lost. My lover says I need to act like I'm going to live because I'm not going to die tomorrow....How do you keep on living while you want to die? How do you tell your family that your HIV+? I feel like a time bomb just waiting to explode. How do you get everything under control? How do you keep on going on? How do you change your mind about HIV and the way it takes over your life? He says I need to not take it over but add it too my life how can you do that? How do you not let it rule you? HELP!! I have all the book smarts but not how to live with this? Thanks, I know this was a long post but I needed a place to vent and let somethings out. Thanks again!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 08:12:18 am by latingalnc »

Offline RapidRod

Re: Newly Dx's
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2006, 05:48:15 pm »
HIV doesn't take over your life unless you want it to. I suggest you see a mental health expert to help with your with your situation. You may also want to check with your ASO to find a support group.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 09:32:20 am »
Hi Gal,

Welcome!

It sounds like you're feeling overwhelmed by your recent diagnosis. That's a very common and understandable reaction. There are a number of lessons on this site which you may find helpful including the one about disclosure issues. I urge you not to rush to disclose your status. Once you have done that you cannot "undisclose," so take your time and sit with the feelings for a while.

Make sure you have a doctor who will monitor you regularly and with whom you can have a good partnership to keep you healthy. Right now you're thinking you're dying but actually with proper care there's every likelihood you can live a long and healthy life.

Gradually you will learn to know everything you need about HIV and about staying healthy. And you don't have to learn that all at once. You're always welcome here to ask questions and to discuss anything that's on your mind.

This is just another part of your life and not the end of it.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 11:03:08 pm »
Hello Gal,

How do you do all that you ask?  One day at a time.  Yes your head is spinning and it will continue to do so for probably a couple more weeks.  Just take it one day at a time.  I know your thoughts are racing and you don't know where to turn, again all perfectly normal.  Your world has been turned upside down and you need some time to adjust to that fact.

Everything else can wait.  What you need now is support from close friends or family and just start with one person.  Trust me on this, do not rush to tell people until you are ready to do so.  Take some time and let yourself adjust.  I know it is hard, but what other choice do you really have?  Things will get better I promise, you just need to give it time.

And don't worry so much about how much time you might have left.  I have been poz for 22 years and with the new treatments you will live a long life.  So take some time now and try to relax.  Take it slow and when you feel ready, start reading the lessons here to educate yourself and use these forums to get whatever support you think we might provide.

Welcome to the forums.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2006, 12:48:53 am »
I was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago, and was in shock. I felt worse for my PCP than for me she looked like she didn't know what to do or say.

Hi there,

When the nurse practioner notified me of my HIV status back in 1985, she bassically handed me the paper, said "you are HIV positive", and backed away from me by about the 6 feet !! Thats the truth... Of course that was back in 1985, but even then you would think that professionals, would be just that, professional. I think she was more petrified then I was.She thought I was toxic ! wanted me out of the room and the building as fast as possible!!

Anyway, just want to say hello, and welcome you here to the forums. There were plenty of days throughout the past 21 years that I felt like crawling into a hole. Most of those days were a long time ago, but I do understand what you are talking about. Can't give you much more advice than what has been given to you, except to not left this virus control you ( I believe it has already been stated) This is certainly a tough time right now, but things will eventually fall into place. It will never be easy, and there will be difficult days, but you can make it !!

Make sure to check out the lessons part of the site, when you are ready, and take your time :

http://www.aidsmeds.com/lessons/StartHere1.htm

Take care of yourself, and stay in touch with us--------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Eldon

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2006, 12:52:26 am »
Hello Latingalnc, it is Eldon.

I wanted to extend a warm WELCOME to you here at the AM site. Here you will find a lot of encouragement, support, understanding, communication, education, fun, and many of your questions relating to HIV/AIDS. This is a great site and there is a lot of information here for you. Feel free to come and vent from time to time or to get an opinion on a topic.

Again, Welcome, and Have the BEST Day!

Offline latingalnc

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 08:06:06 am »
I would like to thank everyone here for their support and kind words. I'm still feeling overwhelmed but it's not so bad today! :D[img] I would like to send eveyone here a great big hug and a great big smile. Thanks again

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 09:52:46 am »
Glad you are finding this to be helpful. Stick around and always feel free to ask questions and to discuss anything that's on your mind.

Cheers, 
Andy Velez

Offline latingalnc

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 04:37:47 pm »
I have a question. I'm involved with a gentleman and we possibly want to move to a bigger city than i live in now. Which cities are good for poz folks? I'm a nurse and can go anywhere in the country to work but he's into telecommunications. I drive but he doesn't. I want to go somewhere where I'll be taken care of medically and emotionally(Counseling). And I have another question are there many women on this site? Why don't they post or reply often? Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2006, 06:05:22 am »
Hi Latin,

I just replied to you in your other thread, realised you had other posts and so found this, your first thread. Don't know how I missed it - sorry!

There is something you said in your first post that I would like to address:
My present lover has been tested and has come back neg both times. We know he has to be tested again in 3months and then in 6months.
He only needs to be tested at three months from your last incident of unprotected intercourse. In fact, the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six WEEKS, with the average time to seroconversion being only 22 days.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus and more so from a woman to a man. His chances of continuing to test negative are very good. As long as you two keep using condoms, there is no reason why he can't stay negative. He should be tested regularly as a matter of routine - once or twice a year.

I am also in a serodiscordant relationship and we were together, not using condoms, for a year and a half before I was diagnosed. He's still hiv negative over seven years later. Of course we use condoms now because we don't want to take any more chances. His routine tests have gone a long way in giving us confidence in condoms.  Condoms are very effective when it comes to preventing hiv transmission and there have been studies of serodiscordant couples where in the couples who used condoms consistently (and not for oral) not one of the negative partners became infected. You might want to check out the Transmission Lesson for all the up to date info on how to keep your partner safe.

If you'd like to ask me any questions about being in a serodiscordant relationship, don't hesitate to ask. If you'd feel more comfortable discussing sex issues in private, feel free to PM me.

I'm sorry, but I don't have any advice on cities - I live on an island (I call it The Rock) in the Irish Sea.

There are quite a few women around here - I'm sure you'll get to know them in time. Have a look through the Living section and you'll see...

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline latingalnc

Re: Newly Dx's Update
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 07:59:13 am »
:) You will have to forgive this long post!  :) Well yesterday I saw my ID Doc and he gave me the good, the bad and the ugly.  8) I'm really glad to have found this site because I was  knowledgable about the meds and what would and wouldn't happen.  ;D He allows me time at the beginning of the appt to ask questions, and deals with my concerns. :D :D Well my numbers are in. On 08/31/06  my CD4 286, VL 581,000 and my CD4 % 15. He said he had seen worse but he wished all his patients came in like me with questions and at least was trying to understand what was going on. He also said I would live a long time!  ;D :D :) He said that I needed to start meds(I knew that after looking in the lesson areas) I researched what the #'s would have to be for me to start on them and I fell in there. I told him to start me on the ones with the least amount of side effects and we would work from there. He also said that he believes in drug holidays after the numbers are stable. I said OK, I can work with that. I do have one question though, he said"You have an aggressive form of the virus" What really does that mean? But then he said it was sensitive to all the meds, and that's good. I'll be starting on Sustiva, and Truvada. I know that these are the first ones that they use. It's in the lessons.  I start them today I hope. My pharmacy was out of them and had to order one of them so I just said I would pick them both up at the same time. I want to thank everyone here for their support and help.  :-* This is a great place for information and support. I also found a support group in my area. They only have one(How sad) but it's better than nothing! Well have a Great day All!!!!!!

Offline hawgleg

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2007, 05:18:43 pm »
hey,

How long have you had fibromyalgia? 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.