Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:27:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 385
Total: 386

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Need Advice  (Read 26351 times)

Offline HelpHelp

Re: Need Advice
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2008, 09:43:29 pm »
?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2008, 09:50:55 am »
Seems to me that nothing is going to satisfy you short of getting tested. You just keep coming back with more what ifs.

Get your test done, collect the inevitable negative result and hopefully that will allow you to get on with your life. I'm unwilling to go through each of the additional hand wringers that you come up with.

During your waiting period stay productively busy and the time will pass more quickly than you may imagine possible. I don't see that anything other than a negative result is going to satisfy you -- and I hope that will do it for you. And again, I certainly expect you will test negative. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2008, 01:50:42 pm »
i hope so. i was also just wondering is thrush an initial symptom of HIV like what you get when you first get the virus? or is it a later? I read on the internet that its an initial symptom, along with the flu stuff, and then i tired to get into the general information thread on this site , but is not opening for me. I know i read something about it in there, but for whatever reason it won't open and i don't want to trust the internet so i just thought i would ask if thats something you can get right at the start? thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2008, 08:17:09 pm »
Thrush is NOT an HIV-specific symptom. It happens to those who are HIV negative as well as HIV positive.

Period.

Now, as I have said before, get productively busy with other matters until you test and collect the negative result we all expect you to get.
Andy Velez

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2008, 07:59:26 pm »
Hello, i am gettin really scared again about my oral sex incident. I know there is very little risk but its really scaring me. In the introduction forums when it says that the initial flu l like symptoms happen with 2-4 weeks of exposure is that the latest it would happen? Or could you get the initial flu like symptoms 6 weeks after also? I am having weird tingling feelings in my hands ( only one) and my feet, and it really scares me. When people have HIV , is this a issue that happends in the beginning or later stages? Thanks. I know you don't deal with symptoms questions, but feedback would make me feel better

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2008, 04:26:30 am »
Help,

Feeling tingly is NOT a symptom of primary hiv infection. If you're worried about your tingles, see your doctor.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2008, 10:02:15 am »
 In the introduction forums when it says that the initial flu l like symptoms happen with 2-4 weeks of exposure is that the latest it would happen? Or could you get the initial flu like symptoms 6 weeks after also? Thanks for your reply

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2008, 10:02:54 am »
Your all a great help and are helping me through this :)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2008, 12:03:13 pm »
When there has been a genuine risk, which I hasten to add you didn't have, the average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus.
Andy Velez

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2008, 05:08:16 pm »
and when you seroconvert is the time that you get the iniital flu like illness?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2008, 05:15:22 pm »
Yes.

BUT because the symptoms are so similar to flu and other illnesses you can never know from symptoms about HIV status. Only an HIV test can reliably give you that answer.
Andy Velez

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2008, 05:25:11 pm »
And just because you have seroconverted , dosn't mean you would test positve. In the forum it says the vast majority will test pos by six week? i know you still have to get tested after 12 weeks, i was just curiouse?

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2008, 05:31:40 pm »
Is  nausea even a symptoms of the flu? sorry last question

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2008, 05:55:09 pm »
Help,

If you're feeling unwell, go see your doctor. We do not make a habit of discussing symptoms here.

You're taking your risk level all out of proportion. Stop it, please.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2008, 10:54:15 pm »
Sorry that i continue to discuss my symptoms. I have a general question. In the information forums when it refers to flu like symptoms , is this stomach flu or influenza? Apparently, they are often mistaken for one and other but are totally different. So would it be possible for someone to just clarify for me if the initial symptoms are influenza or stomach flu ( nausea, diarrhea) or both if its a result of HIV infection? Thanks.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2008, 10:58:32 pm »
Look Help,

You have been told that we are not in the habit of discussing symptoms regarding HIV infection outside of saying that sero-conversion illness is not unlike influenza, which in turn is not unlike many, many other viral infections.

You have been told that you should see your doctor if you feel ill.

You have been told that should you test, that result will be negative because you were not at risk of being infected with HIV in the first place.

Don't think that you will be permitted to post obsessively about these things, you won't be.

Best you moved on, I think.

MtD

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2008, 06:51:08 pm »
I got an HIV test done at week six, just to make myself feel a little better and my doc is young and said that she hasn't ever been asked to get that test and then i went in to get my results and she said it was it was negative.  We talked about my other health problems currently going on and i left. Then i got worrying if she knew the diff. between non responsive and false-negative.. should i call to clarify or can be safe to assume she was aware of how the testing works, even if she hasn't done it before? Thanks

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2008, 08:49:05 pm »
Help,

You never had a risk in the first place. You are conclusively hiv negative.

As we don't seem to be getting through to you, I'm giving you another time out. This one will last for 56 days. Please seek counseling for your unwarranted fears.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2008, 10:33:13 pm »
Hello. Just wanted to say that i was neg at three months from my oral incident i was worried about. Just wanted to make sure there are no weird sub types of HIV that would be slow in progression therefore take longer to detect? Only asking because of my burning mouth/metallic taste in my mouth that still worries me in the back of my head. I know it seems like i keep puttin myself in the same situation over and over again, but yet again, something weird happend, and i just want to make sure i wasn't at risk. It was with the same person as my before incident. I had shaved the same day i had sex and while we were having sex it kinda hurt and i knew i must have cut myself shaving. Before he ejaculated he pulled out took the condom off and went on the outside of my area, which went i cleaned up, one of my cuts must have been bleeding little.... i was very upset that he took the condom off... and its completely over now because of it... i just want to know if that's a risk. if he ejaculated on my open Small razor cuts? Thanks so much for all your support....

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2008, 12:41:43 am »
You're negative, move on with your life. No more "what ifs" or maybes. Your negative. END OF STORY.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2008, 05:13:45 am »
Help,

You never had a risk in the first place. You are conclusively hiv negative.

As we don't seem to be getting through to you, I'm giving you another time out. This one will last for 56 days. Please seek counseling for your unwarranted fears.

Ann

Help,

If you keep posting about this no risk incident, you won't just be timed out, you'll be permanently banned. Please consider yourself warned.

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline HelpHelp

« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2008, 02:29:35 pm »
Hi Everyone.

I know I have an irrational fear of HIV and I am seeing someone to help me figure it out. Please be patient with me. I am really stupid or something, and i wasn't aware that using oil based lube decreased the effectiveness of a condom, so I'm back in the same situation as always. I had sex throughout the month of April with the same person who claims tested neg, we used a condom and an oil based lube, because i am paranoid i always look at the condom, it never appeared to be broken. A few times i noticed there wasn't much in the end, but didn't think anything about it until i realized that oil based lube causes small slits... Should i go through the procedure of testing again? Thanks so much.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2008, 03:30:36 pm »
Help,

If the condom had truly broken, you'd know it.

You should have read the condom and lube links in my signature line like I asked you to back in December - if you had, you'd know about oil based lube.

Good luck with the therapy - you've worn out your welcome here. I'm banning you, as promised.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.