Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:56:28 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 222
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: nothing..nothing..something...  (Read 20037 times)

Offline rondrond

• 22 years HIV+ yet a yard could be the death of me
nothing..nothing..something...
« on: April 23, 2008, 05:43:16 am »
It's been 6 days since I started Truvada/Virumane. Yesterday, I noticed that my belly/wastline had a hard line of little bumps, unseen, but I can definitely feel them.and when my shirt brushes over the area it itches. Not intense, but there. My first thought was, ..shingles..but there is no redness, no blisters, no pain, (I've had shingles before) ....then I remembered, one of the side effects was" a rash, that would go away in the first week". I've also noticed that my routine bowel movement has changed. It's more frequent. I've had a lot of flatulence ::) But the last two days, I do not play the 'fart game'' (wondering if it's a fart or the 'real thing'...Now, I just accept that it's the real thing) :-[  I wake up early in the morning, and for some reason, between 3an-6am, I am soooo thirsty that I turn into a camel and just drink copious amounts of water that seems to make my thirst worse rather than quenching it.  Other than that, I think Im going to be ok with it.
"I'm not done yet"....Glen Campbell

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

04jul07/DVT-right leg/Bi Lateral PE's     
16oct08/DVT-left leg
Aug09 Diagnosed: COPD

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: nothing..nothing..something...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 08:49:45 am »
 For me gas is a side effect of truvada , I am lucky because I live with a bulldog that I can blame it on . For years I lived on anti poop meds, until I discovered rice works as well in my case . A bowl a day keeps the bowl away . ::)
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline rondrond

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 09:27:26 am »
  A bowl a day keeps the bowl away . ::)

That's fuunnyy. ;D I just happen to have a bucket of rice in the cabinet. I will start adding it to my casseroles to stay off the bowl.  After the first post I had to have another sit down, and dang if I don't feel full again. (I just might get back into some of the clothes I bought last summer! )

"I may not be exactly where I want to be, but I sure as Hell am not where I was"
Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 09:29:18 am »
 :-*
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 12:12:58 pm »
For me gas is a side effect of truvada , I am lucky because I live with a bulldog that I can blame it on . For years I lived on anti poop meds, until I discovered rice works as well in my case . A bowl a day keeps the bowl away . ::)

TUMS works well..............my doctor told me I can eat as manny or as much as I want and they won't hurt me in any way............they really do work too  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline rondrond

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 01:05:35 pm »
Tums...I knew someone who had a large bottle of different colors/flavors. They looked like candy. I thought those were for ..upset stomach/heartburn? If they work for gas, I would need that large bottle as my sister has gas too and 'monkey see, monkey do' we''ll both be eating them.

thanks for the tip,
ronnie

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline rondrond

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 10:06:20 am »
 I'm surprised that I don't have a permanent crick in my neck as I'm just sitting here, then, it's like when the Enterprise went from warp speed to all stop, all the stars stopped zipping by and became still, that's how I feel, but right when I feel that feeling my chin goes to my chest and I'm ..'out'.....I wake up when something causes me to tip forward...I blame this on too many medications with a side effect of ..."caution..drowsiness may occur"....I was also warned that I might experience nausea and diaherrea. I've got a bucket of animal cookies to munch on for these moments when my stomcah acts like I haven't put anyhing in it for days...and my bathroom is getting a good 'detailing', as I clean whatever is in my reach. (might as well do something while I'm in there) If it is not too 'urgent ' I manage to grab my reading glasses and a book. Sometimes I gotta say, "what the heck did I eat?", or "now,...where did all that come from?"
« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 10:59:38 am by rondrond »

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 07:09:39 am »
i personally like the fact that i get the "runs" becuause of my meds,it helps me maintain my hourglass figure!!!LOL

Offline denb45

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 10:30:27 am »
i personally like the fact that i get the "runs" becuause of my meds,it helps me maintain my hourglass figure!!!LOL

Your LUCKY........I take it that you don't have LIPO....... if you did, you wouldn't be able to maintain that hourglass figure  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline rondrond

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 01:24:46 pm »

@1pm my head started to hurt and I laid down for a couple of hours and when I awoke, I felt like I had a hangover/minus the booze. I lasted until @6pm which is medication time. So, I started to feel better in time to take something to make it happen again. sigh..

I have been noticing that my figure has improved and that some of the 'thickness' that was throughout my torso. has thinned..I thought that I looked like an 'egg with legs' but apparently I don't see what others see when I look in the mirror as they refer to me as 'hey, big guy"...

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline Okealyshire

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 12:21:21 am »
Ah, why is it that shit-talk is so much fun? ;D

Take a look at http://www.poopreport.com for a good chuckle. I keep their RSS feed in my smartphone's reader. The other blokes on the bus to work must think I'm insane, I laugh so much.

Offline rondrond

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 02:09:47 am »
Ah, why is it that shit-talk is so much fun? ;D

Take a look at http://www.poopreport.com for a good chuckle. I keep their RSS feed in my smartphone's reader. The other blokes on the bus to work must think I'm insane, I laugh so much.

pftt..I just read the first thing on the page when it opened and 'lost it'...too funny. Thanks for the link.

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline rondrond

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 02:16:35 am »
well, I'm still pooping, but I did not have a hangover today.  I went almost a whole week of Truvada/Virumane with nothing....so, am thinking this poop is related to the antibiotic as thats when all hell broke loose. Dr Appt is on Monday, but as I feel, at this momnet, I will be cured before I get there.  8)

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2008, 02:13:00 am »
Just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your doctor appt. 

Sometimes if you have a "poop issue" adding calcium can help and in any case it can't hurt.

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline rondrond

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2008, 08:42:25 am »
My life is changing again, adjusting to a 'new normalcy'.  I have a feeling, a very small sunrise, a dawning over a very dark barren, rocky landscape of the unknown, that HIV/Disability/My Health, are fixing to become my 'job'.....Today, I did not have a hangover, but the pooping still continues. It is Saturday and I am watching these teen ice skating movies and these young lovers are so cute, and I find that my face is wet..and my pillow is wet...real wet...I can't seem to stop crying. Katie is on the computer and looks over and I just flick more tears off my cheek and stretch my pillow under the  ceiling fan to dry and go get another one. A commercial comes on and a young couple are just starting their lives and I start crying and think, .."I hope this isn't going to become a happening thing now"...I start talking aloud to Katie and doing something that usually irritates me by talking during the show, expressing what I was feeling as the show went on...and Katie talks back and the crying finally stops. Its 6pm...med time...and dinner time. As I prepare for dinner my stomach wrenches and twists and I nearly double over. It eases up and I shake it off, after all I did just swallow 7 pills. My gut wrenches again. So there I am in the kitchen, hanging onto the kitchen counter, sucking in air,  and wondering if this also is going to be a happening thing now. Eating relieves the ache in my gut and I make it through the evening without anymore crying jags or gut wrenches. But, I am still pooping. It will be interesting to see what happens when I run out of this antibiotic/Clindamycin/300mg/3x
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 08:48:45 am by rondrond »

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline rondrond

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2008, 08:47:06 am »
Just wanted to wish you the best of luck with your doctor appt. 

Sometimes if you have a "poop issue" adding calcium can help and in any case it can't hurt.

AA

thanks Andy, I will check into the calcium. The good news is that there is no pain involved or irritation..down there...just an urgent inconvenience...and I do mean urgent....gottagogottagogottago..right now...squirt.

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008, 12:46:18 pm »
thanks Andy, I will check into the calcium. The good news is that there is no pain involved or irritation..down there...just an urgent inconvenience...and I do mean urgent....gottagogottagogottago..right now...squirt.

I take 2 Imodium a day, seems to STOP the gottago......squirts for me  ;).....now, if I could just get rid of the 4 a day NORVIR ,I wouldn't have any squirts at all  ??? I bet? but, my Doctor disagrees with me on this  ???
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 12:50:36 pm by denb45 »

Offline rondrond

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 01:07:10 pm »
ahh..I remember Norvir. I tried it in 1993. I definitely feel for you. Big, smelly, white horsepills that needed to be refrigerated? or kept cool...I took them for 3 days before my body got through to my brain ... "don't want it, don't like it, ..don't do it again"

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline OneMoreGuy

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008, 02:30:28 pm »
Antibiotics are normally to blame for bouts of diarrhea. Anytime I have had to take them in the past, even before becoming HIV positive, the gates open and the water runs, so to speak.

Imodium now has a pill that helps with diarrhea and with gas - two in one. That might be a remedy until you are off the antibiotics.

Tums contain calcium and that is what helps with gas problems. So, give them a try. Here, I do think that Truvada is to blame for the excess gas.
Psychologist, PhD
Counseling patients with HIV since Jan 1991
HIV since Dec 2005
There are three parts to any successful relationship (platonic or romantic): trust, honesty and communication

Offline denb45

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008, 02:56:56 pm »
ahh..I remember Norvir. I tried it in 1993. I definitely feel for you. Big, smelly, white horsepills that needed to be refrigerated? or kept cool...I took them for 3 days before my body got through to my brain ... "don't want it, don't like it, ..don't do it again"

I forgot to mention that I take  4 APTIVUS a day too, they are HORSEPILLS and both (Aptivus & Norivr) need to be refrigerated..........but, I don't have a lotta options when it comes to PI's (I'm resistant to most all other PI's) and have been on just about all of them  ???  Just last month MARCH 08 I was taken off FUZEON & SUSTIVA, and that was replaced with INSENTRESS.........how well I will  do on that, remains to be seen  :-\ I'll find out on APRIL 30th when I see my doctor  :(
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 03:11:18 pm by denb45 »

Offline rondrond

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008, 11:12:59 pm »
denb45, I've got my fingers crossed for you to have good news on the 30th.

OneMoreGuy, yes, it runs through open gates. I find it hard to believe how 'versatile' the body can be. Just to show how muddled my brain is, I thought I was getting Calcium in the milk I drink. Looking at the label, Calcum is not listed at all on two percent milk. boy, do I feel stupid.

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008, 11:16:18 pm »
I don't know about the aptivus but if you don't mind the taste you can avoid norvir horsepills by getting it in the liquid form.  I can't swallow the horsepills without them getting stuck so this works for me.  It also doesn't need to be refrigerated.

AA
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2008, 09:46:50 am »
So Rondrond, your appointment should be today.  I'll be waiting to hear how it goes.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline denb45

« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2008, 11:31:24 am »
I don't know about the aptivus but if you don't mind the taste you can avoid norvir horsepills by getting it in the liquid form.  I can't swallow the horsepills without them getting stuck so this works for me.  It also doesn't need to be refrigerated.

AA

OH NOOOoooo! the 1st time I was put on NORVIR it was the liquid form back in 1997-1998, I just couldn't stomach the liquid NORVIR, after I drank it down, I would throw-up for about an hour, and could NOT keep any of it down, so, that was replaced with another PI, so it was back to the horsepills
that has been a constance in my life of meds FOR YEARS!...........I wish they would just do away with NORVIR, and come out with a NEW PI...you would think they would, cause it makes 80% to 90% of us pozies very SICK! to me NORVIR IS brutal, they  should take it of the market ( just like they did with AZT) NORIVR is the worst PI EVER! I'am very SHOCKED that it's still around and being used, I don't know how I can take it ,I just FORCE THEM DOWN and hope for the best  ???
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 02:20:13 pm by denb45 »

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2008, 12:39:05 am »
OH NOOOoooo! the 1st time I was put on NORVIR it was the liquid form back in 1997-1998, I just couldn't stomach the liquid NORVIR, after I drank it down, I would throw-up for about an hour, and could NOT keep any of it down, so, that was replaced with another PI, so it was back to the horsepills
that has been a constance in my life of meds FOR YEARS!...........I wish they would just do away with NORVIR, and come out with a NEW PI...you would think they would, cause it makes 80% to 90% of us pozies very SICK! to me NORVIR IS brutal, they  should take it of the market ( just like they did with AZT) NORIVR is the worst PI EVER! I'am very SHOCKED that it's still around and being used, I don't know how I can take it ,I just FORCE THEM DOWN and hope for the best  ???

I guess that is one reason to be thankful for a feeding tube ... I don't taste the norvir ... just pump it right into my stomach.   :)

Offline rondrond

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2008, 01:04:59 am »
So Rondrond, your appointment should be today.  I'll be waiting to hear how it goes.

Indeed, it did happen today. After a week of running to the toilet, I was most anxious to step on the scale and...I gained 3 lbs... :o..There were two scales, the old fasioned, slide the bar and the new eletronic digital readout,...I stepped on both, in disbelief. Then Dr Col checked my blood pressure and it was 135/93. Again, I was in disbelief as I am taking two Atenolol a day and she said at least it wasnt 194/94 as before Atenolol. :-\

Then she said that she needed to fill out my referral paperwork to the oral surgeon and made the mistake of leaving me alone too long, because, I started to think I had been abandoned and started to wander the hall (which is a nono) and made it to the lab, as I knew I had to have my blood drawn, and they had to go get my chart which she was still writing in, so apparently I had 'upset' the order of things and anyway, got my blood drawn, and they kept having to go look in my chart, as she was still writing in it..dang..and I aplogized for messing up the 'schedule of events' (they  now know I can't be left alone too long ;D... will get those results in two weeks to see what a good job my new regime is doing .
So far, I have only experienced a hangover, once, cramping, once, and today I actually vomited, but I think that was from nerves about the unknown of the 'hospital bill' I have discussed in LTS and the change it will be making in my life as I now know it.
I don't really feel any different, have no extra energy, no wild dreams. I think my coloring has improved, but then it has been hot and I have been doing yardwork, which after that day of overdoing it in the heat and vomiting, I have delegated a day of yardwork into several days. I sleep ...a lot....and this is with my leg elevated so the swelling in leg has gone down considerably, until I stand up..maybe I could learn to walk on my hands...only..
that would make it difficult to get to the toilet in time as she RENEWED my RX for Climandamycin/300md/3x :'(  (to think I was excited about taking the last one this morning and having an empty bottle and thinking "well, that's over....good job"...

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2008, 01:37:08 am »
Sorry that your appointment didn't exactly go as you wanted it too.  Especially, the part about adding an additional round of the antibiotics. 

Good luck with your "water closet" issues.   :)

AA

Offline rondrond

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2008, 01:49:17 am »
Thanks Andy,
the RX was a BIG bottle 'to boot' ..90 instead of 21...so I will definintely be going down the store aisles with your recommendations of Calcium on my list. 8)

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2008, 08:28:00 am »
Rond, well, just behave yourself next time your at the doc's and don't go out meandering about the halls.

Your BP sounds still too high.  Is your doc hoping it will continue to come down? 

Sorry about the additional antibiotics.  When I used to have poop issues, I also wore a depends, as I could never be trusted out in public.  For me, it was better than soiling a perfectly good pair of pants.  Just a thought. 
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline rondrond

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2008, 10:27:22 am »
Yes, she seems to think that my BP will go down in time. I just don't know where in the heck the elevated BP came from as I have never had high blood pressure until this past month and now it just seems determined to make it to the World Book of Records as 'just how long can I stay high, before they figure out the cause'. ;D She has mentioned that I might want to start thinking about ... cardio?...which sounds good, but I was starting to feel overloaded so I have tucked that away in a cubby hole somewhere in my brain to be taken out and examined at a later date.

If 'Urgent' hits me out in public, I give the universal distress signs...clamp my cheeks, walk with bent legs, slowly, moaning...oh,lordie, oh,lordie, and everyone will get out of the way. So far I have had excellent butt/cheek, clamping skills  ::) and nothing untoward has come of it... in public...at home, is another story..when the urge hits, I keep thinking in my 'old way of dealing with life'...eh, it's a fart...and it's not... ..thank goodness I have a washer/dryer..(I am working on this new concept *eating to pooping*....old concept was *eating...farting..farting....urgent farting...ok ok...pooping*...I am a creature of habit and set in my old ways  ::) but I can still learn new tricks ;D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 11:21:46 am by rondrond »

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline OneMoreGuy

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2008, 03:12:58 pm »
I have had high blood pressure and been taking meds for it since 1995. So I can say I am a pro at reading the numbers. Although 135/93 sounds high, it is within normal range specially during a doctor's visit which tends, for some reason, to provide higher readings than normal. For healthy individuals without high blood pressure, a reading of around 120/80 is normal. For people like us a systolic in the 130s and a diastolic in the 80s would be normal. If you can afford it, buy yourself a sphygmomanometer or blood pressure meter (the ones you can wrap a sleeve around your arm work better than the ones you only place on your wrist) and take your own blood pressure when you wake up and before going to bed. This will give you a more accurate reading. I have successfully been taking AtacanPlus (also available in the States) and last year my doctor added Amlodipine (generic name). This combo keeps my blood pressure around the mid to high 120s (sometimes low 130s) for systolic and 80s for diastolic measurements.

I can certainly relate to the ordeal of having to take antibiotics for a longer period of time and waiting for the time to finally stop. Been there with the lovely side effects of visiting the toilet and liquid coming out from front and back. To feel safe, I used to stuff a small wad of toilet paper up my behind just in case. It seemed to do the trick for me during those times when the gates wanted to open while being out in public. And by that I mean that it gave me enough time to reach a toilet before all hell broke loose.

When I read the stories of insurance worries in America, I am very thankful that the maximum I have to pay out in insurance costs is $1000 a year (plus the actual cost of my insurance policy which is $3000 a year), but considering my HIV meds cost $2000 a month, it's not a bad deal (not to mention the high blood pressure meds which add another $1100 a year).

Anyhow, back to your hospital visit. At least you didn't have to walk out into the hallway wearing one of those hospital gowns which never seem to quite be big enough to cover everything and always allow everyone else to see part of our ass.

At any rate, I'm looking forward to hearing how your numbers turned out.

Cheers.  ;D
Psychologist, PhD
Counseling patients with HIV since Jan 1991
HIV since Dec 2005
There are three parts to any successful relationship (platonic or romantic): trust, honesty and communication

Offline denb45

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 09:00:00 pm »
denb45, I've got my fingers crossed for you to have good news on the 30th.

OneMoreGuy, yes, it runs through open gates. I find it hard to believe how 'versatile' the body can be. Just to show how muddled my brain is, I thought I was getting Calcium in the milk I drink. Looking at the label, Calcum is not listed at all on two percent milk. boy, do I feel stupid.

Why Thank You!.............I got a clean bill of health today 4/30/08.......T-cells 490..........VL-Load NON-DETECTALBE.............. ;D
don't need to see my doc for about another 3 to 4 months  ;) she told me to stay fit & healthy and to have a VERY nice Summer  ;D
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 09:02:38 pm by denb45 »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 10:38:44 pm »
Last year, my meds totalled $45,000 (yes, forty-five thousand). 

Edited to add:  No, I didn't pay all of it. 

Offline rondrond

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2008, 12:43:37 am »
Why Thank You!.............I got a clean bill of health today 4/30/08.......T-cells 490..........VL-Load NON-DETECTALBE.............. ;D
don't need to see my doc for about another 3 to 4 months  ;) she told me to stay fit & healthy and to have a VERY nice Summer  ;D

Congrats on the stats. 3-4 months. I guess when you get stable they don't need to see you as much anymore?

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2008, 07:06:44 am »
Congrats on the stats. 3-4 months. I guess when you get stable they don't need to see you as much anymore?

I see my doctor every 3 months, unless the need arises to see him sooner.

Offline rondrond

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2008, 08:12:15 am »
hmmm...sounds like when i get this SSDI thing behind me, and get my 'counts' under control, that I am going to experience one of those crashes you talked about in an earlier post.....'Scotty, drop us out of Warp to Impulse"....I guess I am going to need to start thinking about what the heck I am going to do with myself.

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2008, 10:06:27 am »
hmmm...sounds like when i get this SSDI thing behind me, and get my 'counts' under control, that I am going to experience one of those crashes you talked about in an earlier post.....'Scotty, drop us out of Warp to Impulse"....I guess I am going to need to start thinking about what the heck I am going to do with myself.

Don't worry, you'll adjust..............if you have any hobbies...........do them, as long as they are affordable.........you'll be just fine.....I still get up at 5AM like I did when I worked for 20 yrs...........habit I guess......but I find a lotta things to do around the house EVEYDAY..........it seems to help?

Offline rondrond

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2008, 10:13:01 am »
   ;D I already have a TODO list an arm long, all house related. The 'Honeymoon' is definitely over from the nosalgia and charm of a 65 year old house. Mom always warned that a house will 'nickel and dime' you to death.  ;)

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2008, 11:00:52 am »
   ;D I already have a TODO list an arm long, all house related. The 'Honeymoon' is definitely over from the nosalgia and charm of a 65 year old house. Mom always warned that a house will 'nickel and dime' you to death.  ;)

Aint that the truth  ??? it sure will.........just like a few moochers that call themselves FRIENDS  ;D they'll nickel & dime you to death too  ::)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 11:04:09 am by denb45 »

Offline rondrond

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2008, 11:14:22 am »
yes, I have a nephew who tends to show up at the door with head down and hands out....
It would be easier to be tougher on him if he was not so good looking.....*he looks just like me when I was his age, I am mistaken for his father all the time*  ::)

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline rondrond

« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2008, 10:57:52 am »
I have survived a 'brain fart' resulting in taking all my meds at 6am and 6pm. when I'm only to take all meds a 6 pm and one Virumane, Atenolol, and that antibiotic at 6am. Thanks to Betty, I have done a 'search and seek' of the house and have found that pill box as I just seem to go "auto-pilot to mouth mode...ON" when standing in front of a row of pill bottles....twist, pour,swallow,....next..twist, pour, swallow, next...

I knew I was feeling different , not exactly nauseas, but jittery, *I was turning the key, the engine was turning, but wouldn't start* and it dawned on me that I had taken all those pills twice in one day....everything happens on a sunday, when everything is closed....but I wasn't vomiting, so I started to eat and drink to help dilute and eject....with this diaherea, nothing could be staying around long enough to get comfortable...

So, I have added Cacium tablets to my repertoire on friday. and....today, this morning, I have gone 5 hours now wtihout having to poop. I have had two sitdowns, but only expelled gas. I haven't had gas in weeks. So maybe this calcium is working...it is still early, and I am being cautious. I might have finally just  reached "empty" ...and when I eat....

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2008, 05:00:45 pm »
I hope things stay a little calmer for a while.  I know I still had flare-ups from time to time but the calcium really seemed to help me.  But everyone is different so I'll wish you lots of luck.

Offline rondrond

« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2008, 12:15:35 am »
There is a definite slow down in the diaherrea. I was going every two hours and now I can make it to 4-6 hours. I have also noticed that my back pain has lessened from "on a scale of 1-10...I was at 10 now @ 4...."...weird,,

I was actually able to swallow my dinner tonight without it getting stuck. I ate very slowly and chewed my food and drank in between each bite and made sure it was down before taking another bite. Thank you Andy and JG for the advice on stricture and swallowing problems. I kinda freaked yesterday when it would not go down and I had to vomit to clear the obstruction.

Next Dr Appt is on the 15th. First lab  report since taking Truvada/Virumane.

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2008, 12:30:24 pm »
There is a definite slow down in the diaherrea. I was going every two hours and now I can make it to 4-6 hours. I have also noticed that my back pain has lessened from "on a scale of 1-10...I was at 10 now @ 4...."...weird,,

I was actually able to swallow my dinner tonight without it getting stuck. I ate very slowly and chewed my food and drank in between each bite and made sure it was down before taking another bite. Thank you Andy and JG for the advice on stricture and swallowing problems. I kinda freaked yesterday when it would not go down and I had to vomit to clear the obstruction.

Next Dr Appt is on the 15th. First lab  report since taking Truvada/Virumane.

Here's what I found and it WORKS..............I eat small meals (I cannot eat large meals anymore, if I do I'll get sick), I also drink lotts of fuilds, 7up, Gatoraide, water.........I ALWAYS take my meds ( twice a day with FOOD) if I try to take any of them without food ,I always GET SICK......and the Imodium, I take  one cap every six hours ( If I need it, sometimes, I don't need it...........and YES, I too have swallowing problems......due to TRUSH and PCP a few yrs back, I never really recovered form that one.......that's why I eat VERY SLOW..............all of this seem to help me ( as far as keeping my MEDS down)  ;D............Oh and YES....if I don't follow thur on any of this.......I'll get sick and Vomit.......and can't keep down MEDS, and when that happends..........your not getting the MEDS, that keep you ALIVE  :-[
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 12:37:08 pm by denb45 »

Offline rondrond

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2008, 11:18:48 pm »
Fortunately, I only threw up what was in my esophagus. I usually take my meds 1-2 hours before eating, even though there are no food restrictions. I have been experiencing tiny epsiodes of food getting stuck for some time now and I have slowed down considerably. (I have always been a wolfer.."ronnie..slow down, you act like your starving...did that even register on your tongue as it passed through straight to your stomach?"....Now, I take a few bites, take a drink, wait a bit and then a few more bites...so instead of being the first one through and looking for dessert as others are still on their salad, I am now the last one finished. ::)

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Offline denb45

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2008, 11:27:26 am »
Fortunately, I only threw up what was in my esophagus. I usually take my meds 1-2 hours before eating, even though there are no food restrictions. I have been experiencing tiny epsiodes of food getting stuck for some time now and I have slowed down considerably. (I have always been a wolfer.."ronnie..slow down, you act like your starving...did that even register on your tongue as it passed through straight to your stomach?"....Now, I take a few bites, take a drink, wait a bit and then a few more bites...so instead of being the first one through and looking for dessert as others are still on their salad, I am now the last one finished. ::)

Humm...........as far as food getting STUCK......that doesn't sound very good, and it shouldn't be happening  ??? maybe you need to talk to your Doctor about this? sounds to me like an esophagus GI may be in order  :-\ I'm no doctor, but, it could be something more serious  ??? never the less at least get this looked into  :o it may be nothing at all....dunno

Offline rondrond

« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2008, 12:04:48 pm »
Humm...........as far as food getting STUCK......that doesn't sound very good, and it shouldn't be happening  ??? maybe you need to talk to your Doctor about this? sounds to me like an esophagus GI may be in order  :-\ I'm no doctor, but, it could be something more serious  ??? never the less at least get this looked into  :o it may be nothing at all....dunno

yup, thats the way things have been gping this past year...nothing...nothing...Something

It is on my list for my next appointment this thurday. Looking at it, this is getting to be a pretty long list...I'm starting to feel like a hypochondriac or something..."hey doc...look what all has happened since our last chat".... I'm just not sure of anything anymore where my body is concerned. It has become alien. I never know if its my nerves, meds, or fantasy.

Wynnona Judd

Diagnosed/HIV
AZT
Norvir
1994-2001
Crixivan/Epivir/Zerit
No Meds for 7 Years

16oct08/DVT-left leg

05may2015
Un-detectable
Tcells 700
44%

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.