Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:22:33 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 380
Total: 381

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Ageing with HIV: attitudes of gay men shaped by length of diagnosis  (Read 26133 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Ageing with HIV: attitudes and experiences of gay men shaped by length of diagnosis
aidsmap link
Michael Carter
Published: 16 November 2011

The attitudes of older HIV-positive gay men towards ageing are affected by the period of time since diagnosis with the virus and personal experiences of the epidemic, British research published in the online edition of Culture, Health & Sexuality suggests.

Investigators interviewed ten HIV-positive gay men aged between 52 and 78 about their experiences of ageing.

“The main finding of this exploratory study is an illustration of how the experience of growing older with HIV is influenced by an individual’s biographic relationship with the history of the epidemic,” comment the researchers. “Attitudes to ageing were particularly influenced by (1) the lived experience of HIV on personal health, (2) emotional proximity to AIDS-related bereavements and (3) an individual’s narrative interpretation of the history of the epidemic.”

All ten participants sought to portray themselves as empowered and living well with HIV. However, clear differences in attitude were apparent depending on the era in which individuals were diagnosed with the infection.

Patients who were diagnosed with HIV before the advent of effective therapies in 1996 were generally more ambivalent or fearful about their future. Reliance on state benefits for financial security was a consistent theme for these patients.

In contrast, individuals who were diagnosed after 1996 were generally more optimistic about their futures and occasionally stigmatised the perceived benefit dependency of individuals with longer-term HIV infection.

HIV has traditionally been viewed as a disease that predominately affected younger people. However, the proportion of HIV-positive individuals aged over 50 has been steadily increasing for over a decade. This is due to the remarkable effectiveness of modern HIV therapy and also because of continuing HIV infections and diagnoses in older patients.

Little is known about the experiences of older patients with HIV. Therefore in 2009 investigators conducted interviews with ten HIV-positive gay men aged over 50 who were receiving care at a large HIV outpatient clinic.

The participants were racially diverse and had been living with HIV for between 23 and seven years. Four individuals were diagnosed before effective HIV therapy became available and overall six were receiving disability benefits.

The men were asked: “Please tell me the story of your experience of getting older as a HIV-positive gay man.”

After analysing the stories, the investigators identified two different narratives.

The first were regressive and described considerable disruption caused by HIV and a movement away from cherished life objectives. These narratives often described being trapped by past experiences of HIV, the interruption of careers, reliance on state benefits and the trauma of AIDS-related bereavement. The narratives were also characterised by fear and anxiety about ageing with HIV. Typically, they were told by individuals who were diagnosed before 1996 and/or by those with a strong emotional connection with the early years of the epidemic.

More progressive narratives described an individual’s attainment of objectives. HIV was often characterised as “just a chronic treatable condition.” There was less anxiety about ageing. Individuals diagnosed in the era of effective HIV therapy usually told progressive narratives. These patients had continued to work after their diagnosis and had not experienced the trauma of HIV-related bereavements.

Individuals with greater personal experience of the early epidemic were more likely to express a sense of tiredness and weariness about their life with HIV.

One patient commented: “Oh God, here we go again, it goes on and on, and every day the pills, for ever and ever.”

Another stated: “So how’s it going to get better? It’s not, it’s just not…it feels like I’m going backwards with my health, finances, relationships, with everything.”

Diagnosis in the pre-treatment era was also defined by a struggle to cope with an unexpected old age, as well as a sense of regret and irreconcilable loss.

“I don’t have a circle of friends like I used to,” commented one man. “They all went, all of them. I never replaced them.”

In contrast, an individual diagnosed in 1999 spoke of his awareness of “a group of people who went through the whole HIV thing with the discovery and all the deaths and all the political stuff, and then there’s the post-treatment generation who have a different view and completely different needs.”

Duration of diagnosis also appeared to be associated with the construction of moral identities and attitudes towards “successful ageing.”

Fear and guilt about dependency on state benefits were expressed by some of the individuals with longer-term HIV infection.

“I couldn’t do a full-time job now,” said a patient who was diagnosed in 1989. “And there’s this tension – you’re terrified of losing your Disability Living Allowance – and there is this guilt thing for claiming benefits as well.”

One tearful individual told the investigators: “Everyone makes you feel guilty about everything…and as part of the guilt process you think, well, could I go back to work, am I being pathetic? But [my attempt] last year taught me that, no, I couldn’t.”

In contrast, an individual diagnosed in the treatment era had a highly stigmatising attitude to his HIV-positive peers who were dependent on benefits, describing them as “real victims” and a burden “for the British taxpayer.”

The narratives also showed that some individuals lacked social support and were concerned about their care needs in later life.

“This study provides some insights into the emerging phenomenon of an ageing HIV population,” conclude the investigators. “The findings suggest that future research should include cohorts based on biographic categories such as time since diagnosis rather than chronological age divisions alone.”
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bear60

Re: Ageing with HIV: attitudes of gay men shaped by length of diagnosis
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 05:26:15 pm »
sounds familiar...wonder how much these idiots got paid
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2011, 12:33:17 am »
I don't know if I would call this news. We've been talking about this for years now.

That is why we have a separate forum here. The more recently diagnosed have no clue what the early years were like. They can hear stories, but for them, it might as well be stories about ancient history. They have no connection.

Yes, they have a more optimistic view of HIV care. They worry about body shape changes, not going blind. They worry about dating, not having the shits so bad you could bend over, aim your ass and hit someone 50 feet away.

Someone I know is fading quickly right now. It is his choice to do so. He didn't want to continue taking meds.

I know this his decision, but I also know he has no idea what he is facing. I do, I was there when that was the norm.

I probably sound cranky, but I just get tired of trying to reason with people who are so fearful of growing a hump or having skinny arms and legs, they won't take meds.

I sometimes feel like saying, "Fine, but don't call me when you don't just drift gently into death."

Lordy, I am sounding cranky.  I'd better go read a book or something.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2011, 12:54:37 pm »
Interesting study...

I'm with you Mark, I don't have patience for it.   There was a guy at our clinic yesterday who DEMANDED to be seen immediately; I know there's HIPPA, but it was discussed in the waiting room, so I couldn't help but overhear that his VL was sky high, and his CD4's were decreasing, so therefore he wasn't taking his meds.... They did tell him he'd have to come back tomorrow, there was no one to see him today.....

People just don't know.

:(
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 01:55:17 pm »
@ Mark & Alan I'm in agreement, I just don't get ANYONE that has had HIV/AIDS for only 2 to 3 yrs. and their attitudes towards us LTS ( I know I'm an old Fossil and just need to go away & die  ;D ) but that's exactly my point, it's always the same thing....

I always get dissed every time I try & give some type of support to the newly diagnosed, they say "Oh No that's not how it is form me" and you don't what your talking about" the separation is down right sickening, it makes me not even want to participate in this forum most of the time  ::)  I'm I cranky, HELL YES  :o

Will I let this get me down HELL NO, I'm NOT going away @ least not yet I aint  :)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 04:18:25 pm »
Add me to those who are in agreement.    Now, I only post in the LTS forum.

Well, that's not completely true because I did vote for CHI in AMG forum but I was out voted.  >:(
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 04:24:32 pm »
What a bunch of jaded AIDS-infected misanthropes.

Offline denb45

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 05:21:47 pm »
What a bunch of jaded AIDS-infected misanthropes.

Child PLEASE, wait till you get to be over 50+ and trust me, you won't give a fuck like the rest of us old farts  :-*
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 10:24:25 pm »
Child PLEASE, wait till you get to be over 50+ and trust me, you won't give a fuck like the rest of us old farts  :-*

You can be under 50 and still not give a fuck ... I'm living proof.  :D
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 06:24:06 pm »
I wonder why they needed a study, when any LTS could provide them with these insights for free?  It doesn't tell me anything I don't already know, especially having lived all of it.  I'm not afraid of the future and I don't fear death, so not much scares me.  As to the attitudes of some folks towards us, frankly I simply no longer care.  If someone cannot comprehend how health issues can destroy a life, it's not my job to make them understand.  Face it, we lived an entire life time ago to some of these folks and for some our lives are as relevant to them as that of their grandparents.

It is no longer my responsibility to educate others, I did my time so someone else needs to step up.  I don't take offense to some of the comments in the forums, simply because the authors don't have a clue what they are talking about.  Personally, I think America/World is becoming more callous towards those of limited means, as if you somehow have complete control over your life and what happens to you.  Some of them just don't/won't understand and to be honest, who really cares what folks like that think?

I'm a survivor and I'm proud of that fact and grateful for all of you folks here.  For me, that's enough.  I did my time and I'm enjoying my life and in the end... that's all that matters.

Offline denb45

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 06:52:10 pm »
I'm in agreement with you there Joe, and most of these youngsters that post in this forum, well,  I'm almost 10 to 15 yrs their senior, it's kinda funny to me, as most of them couldn't even comprehend what it was like for a lot of us LTS back them, so ok,

I  know I'm old & insufficient, and I come from a time before HIV/AIDS....all I can tell them is THIS,  you just had to be there to understand any of it, however as we age almost none of this even has any real relevance to any of them at all .......that what's happens when your almost 2 to 3 decades older  ;)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 07:52:52 pm »
I wonder why they needed a study, when any LTS could provide them with these insights for free? 

I often think this way also . When the health care overhaul debate was going on I was thinking why wont they just ask us that have been under a doctors care for over half our lives what needs to be done . We could have set the record straight in 20 minutes . 

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline denb45

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 10:43:06 am »
Even the original OP that posted this topic is 10 to 15 yrs younger than most of us LTS  ???  I look at it this way, age is certainly a factor and always will be, we all come from different era's each decade is very different in the way you precise things, for example, I was born in the 50's and grew up in the 60s & 70's  ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 11:58:01 am »
Even the original OP that posted this topic is 10 to 15 yrs younger than most of us LTS  ??? 

... and?

I'm 3 years younger than Jeff, less if you consider I have a birthday in a couple of months. So I was 16 years old when the first CDC AIDS report came out in 1981. Do you have a problem with my being on the very youngest end of LTS infectees?

ps: you obsess with your own age constantly. Please stop. It's not very attractive.

Offline denb45

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 12:36:18 pm »
... and?

I'm 3 years younger than Jeff, less if you consider I have a birthday in a couple of months. So I was 16 years old when the first CDC AIDS report came out in 1981. Do you have a problem with my being on the very youngest end of LTS infectees?

ps: you obsess with your own age constantly. Please stop. It's not very attractive.

Dear This has nothing to do w/ you per-say, however, when I got teh aids I was already 30 yrs old, and you do bring up a good point, and the way it is now, most will live there entire life w/ HIV/AIDS, so sweetie, no judgement here, being on the youngest end of a LTS  just means you will spend more than half of the your life w/ teh AIDS, it's not a bad thing @ all, and you will out live us all  :-*

Do I obsess with my own age, well maybe I do a little, but hey, I'm still here and healthy, what's the matter
do I remind you of your own mortality darling, well good, I'm glad I do, the thing is we all age, like it or not, it's the natural law and order of things, and YES you will age as well, your aging as I type this rant, so don't stress to hard about any of this, it's all bull-shit anyway.........right  :-*
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 12:38:45 pm by denb45 »

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2011, 01:48:58 pm »
My aids is so old I got my test results on a stone tablet ... so there .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2011, 02:07:07 pm »
I couldn't get to undetectable until mid-2006. My AIDS strain is the most lethal because it obviously came direct from Gaetan Dugas.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2011, 02:18:11 pm »
I couldn't get to undetectable until mid-2006. My AIDS strain is the most lethal because it obviously came direct from Gaetan Dugas.

Yeah well my strain is so old you would have to have a wheelchair ramp on your asshole to catch it from me .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2011, 03:17:54 pm »
being on the youngest end of a LTS  just means you will spend more than half of the your life w/ teh AIDS, it's not a bad thing @ all, and you will out live us all  :-*

Also being on the younger end of the spectrum, I'll point out that many of us have already lived MORE than half of our lives with this virus.  21 years without, 24 years with.  Let me know how it feels when you reach that half way mark. ;D

wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2011, 03:36:43 pm »
I crossed my AIDS mid-line last July. 23 without it, 23 with it.

Offline denb45

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 03:57:01 pm »
I crossed my AIDS mid-line last July. 23 without it, 23 with it.

Well I have HIV-1, isn't that the most common strain, and also I lived 30 without, and 25 with, so that would make me 55 yrs old. you queens are really showing your age  :D that's why I HEART all of you  :-*

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2011, 04:05:02 pm »
btw, when I say "with it" I'm going by estimated infection date since I was diagnosed late and on my first test. Diagnosis is fake threshold, important mentally but not an actual physical health indicator if you will.

Offline denb45

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2011, 04:09:13 pm »
btw, when I say "with it" I'm going by estimated infection date since I was diagnosed late and on my first test. Diagnosis is fake threshold, important mentally but not an actual physical health indicator if you will.

Child, like i said before, you'll probably out live us all  ;D

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2011, 04:33:25 pm »
I get confused on how long its been since diagnoses for me but I do know I was tested the same month the test was made available at the health dept . I'm sure I was poz at least 3 or 4 years before that because of all the thrush and skin problems that popped up before the diagnoses .    
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline denb45

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2011, 05:06:05 pm »
I get confused on how long its been since diagnoses for me but I do know I was tested the same month the test was made available at the health dept . I'm sure I was poz at least 3 or 4 years before that because of all the thrush and skin problems that popped up before the diagnoses .    

I took that Western Blot test in JUNE of 87, but was probably infected about 82 or 83 when I shoved a dirty rig into my arm @ my local Leather bar in the bathroom stall w/ some guy ( I don't even recall who he even was) it wasn't until about 91 or 92 when I started to get sick, and I was already on DDI & AZT, held on to what little-bit of a career for about another 6 or 7 yrs. til I was just to sick and couldn't work anymore by then 97 or 98 teh AIDS was  really kicking my ass I had 90 t-cells and PCP, and 3 IO's ???

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2011, 05:32:36 pm »
See, this is why my strain is lethal. You were both infected before I was but I went to <200 AIDS land sooner :) as in like within five years. Thanks Gaetan!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2011, 06:06:08 pm »
See, this is why my strain is lethal. You were both infected before I was but I went to <200 AIDS land sooner :) as in like within five years. Thanks Gaetan!

It was probably the hundreds of bath house exposures in a short period of time or your weak Yankee blood  ;) 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2011, 06:14:40 pm »
Oddly I never once went in a bath house when I caught this. I was a senior in college... very innocent. Practically as virginal as a hemophiliac.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2011, 06:16:36 pm »
I got it from eating bush meat .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2011, 06:19:19 pm »
I also blame using Aramis body lotion as lube :-[ Damn designer stuff opened up all my anal capillaries. That and the coke.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2011, 06:30:34 pm »
I also blame using Aramis body lotion as lube :-[

That's hardcore ... I still cringe at the smell of jergins lotion I used for sex as a young man but I don't want to go into all that .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline aztecan

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2011, 07:11:16 pm »

That's hardcore ... I still cringe at the smell of jergins lotion I used for sex as a young man but I don't want to go into all that .

Reminds me of trying to get the Crisco out of the carpeting. Not an easy task.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline denb45

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2011, 07:18:18 pm »
Reminds me of trying to get the Crisco out of the carpeting. Not an easy task.

HUGS,

Mark

Castile Soap or Green Soap was good @ getting the Crisco off your body & skin, as for carpeting rubber-sheets worked wonders  ;D

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2011, 08:09:51 pm »
i hit the HIV halfway mark about a year ago. When I celebrate my aidsaversary in a couple of weeks (12/26), it'll be 26 yrs with and 24 yrs without. It's a little sad (in an internalized stigma sort of way) to think that I've lived more of my life now as a pozzie than as an uninfected individual.  :'(

I have a similar story with you Dennis. I was sick around 92 and on AZT; but by 96/98 I was really sick, had PCP, and been hospitalized several times. Although I hit UD a couple of rare times throughout the years, it wasn't until after 15 years of meds that I finally sustained UD back in 2007.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline denb45

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2011, 08:18:27 pm »
Yes, we all have battle scars of HIV/AIDS, and we all have a story to tell, but the good news is were all survivors of this horrible disease, and YES we made it thur the fire, so to speak, and were still here and alive to tell that story, we should all write a book or do a AIDS-movie  ;)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2011, 08:21:01 pm »
or do a AIDS-movie  ;)

Forum Zombies Attack ! ... I'm ready for my close up are you ?
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline wolfter

« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2011, 12:45:25 am »
Yes, we all have battle scars of HIV/AIDS, and we all have a story to tell, but the good news is were all survivors of this horrible disease, and YES we made it thur the fire, so to speak, and were still here and alive to tell that story, we should all write a book or do a AIDS-movie  ;)

Thats the great thing about having our own forum.  We all have scars.  It's impossible not to.  In those days, we didn't know how not to fight this.  But we did and all deserve to be in that happy place.  We're all fighters or we wouldn't have our own private club that will never allow new members. ;D 

I doubt many of us can  pinpoint our exact dates.  I kinda suspect and basically confirm it with my AIDS diagnosis in 91.  I held on to those last few tcells even when I turned the most beautiful shade of orange.  I was told to accept the inevitable even having a priest doing voodoo over me.   lol 

Greg

Offline aztecan

« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2011, 12:49:26 am »
Forum Zombies Attack ! ... I'm ready for my close up are you ?

Only if you vaseline the lens.  ;D

HUGGLES,

Mark'

Offline wolfter

« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2011, 01:00:59 am »
I came from the generation where we sometimes used condomns.  Wish I'd have known about the Vaseline and latex issue.  It mostly wouldn't have mattered.  I was a lot hornier in the 80's than I sometimes let on. 

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2011, 11:24:55 am »
I was a lot hornier in the 80's than I sometimes let on. 
LOLz  ;) :D
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2011, 12:57:36 pm »
I was under the impression that a Long-term non-progressor was kind of a rarity, but there must have been a lot more of them than I ever realized; every time I open an "AIDS magazine" in my clinic, there is an article on someone who claims to have had it for 30 years, ,but only started treatment in the 2000's.....

Funny how well they all look too....

Do I sound suspicious?   :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline denb45

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2011, 01:53:40 pm »
Not at all Alan  ;)  bear60  ( Joel )  is a non- progressor, as well as a few others round here, I'm convinced that my other half Bob might be one too, but I won't go there , and yeah those of us who have taken meds for more than 20 yrs. this does have it's draw-backs on overall health, as were all living proof of that, and I think everyone here looks fine too me despite all of THIS  ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2011, 02:05:19 pm »
I'm convinced that my other half Bob might be one too,

I thought he tests negative ever six months, so why would you think he's one?

Offline bear60

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2011, 03:22:45 pm »
Alan......I tested HIV positive before there was a viral load test.  When that came out I was testing in the less than 50 copies range.  This went on for 20 years when I am now ( due to more sophisticated testing? or whatever)  testing at 190 copies.
Also my CD4 count has been above 500 until last year and I am now testing around 400 CD 4 count.
My doctor has not recommended starting meds.
Wainting for the other shoe to drop is very trying....especially for 23 years.
Hugs

Joel
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Online leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2011, 03:50:24 pm »
Wainting for the other shoe to drop is very trying....especially for 23 years.
Wow! That's great. I wouldn't mind waiting on that shoe. LOL
It's sure a lot better than being sick and taking an assortment of good and not-so-good meds over the last 23 yrs.

it wasn't until I was hospitalized for the second time before they finally developed a VL test. Doh! LOL Up until then they just knew you tested poz and your tcell count - so all medical decisions where based solely on whether you were above or below 200 and how crappy you did or didn't feel. ::)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline denb45

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2011, 03:51:59 pm »
I thought he tests negative ever six months, so why would you think he's one?

That's just it, we don't know until his next test, he should have DXed back in 2006 when he got the Syphilis
, but he got lucky, his last test was still neg, he may be immuned to this Virus, not everyone will get it, but that can't be rule out, so his doctors says...dunno, however we still practice safer-sex, cuz I insist on it, and he agrees with me ;)

Offline wolfter

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2011, 04:29:52 pm »
Am I correct in my thinking;  no one could know for sure over the 25 year mark.  Weren't the first antibody tests not readily available until 1986?  I remember coming down with that damned gay flu in the summer of 85.  You pretty much had to wait to see if you died to confirm your illness. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2011, 04:58:12 pm »
IIRC the test was available in mid-1985 for blood donations, and probably the next year in clinical settings. I don't recall having any friends get tested until early 1987.

But whatever, if you were diagnosed in 1986 and had 10 t-cells it's safe to say you weren't a recent infection. Or if you'd been monogamous for the previous 6 years and your partner tested negative, it was safe to assume you'd been infected in 1980 (or earlier) etc. It's not as if that initial CDC cluster reported in 1981 were recent infections.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2011, 07:28:31 pm »
 Weren't the first antibody tests not readily available until 1986?  I remember coming down with that damned gay flu in the summer of 85.  You pretty much had to wait to see if you died to confirm your illness.  

I received my antibody test in October of 1985.  I still have the original paper on that, that states a positive result with western blot.  This test was done by the Pinellas county health department, in Florida.  I should try to post a picture of it.  I keep it sealed up, since it's getting old, discolored and kind of fragile though the years.

EDITED: to add that the paper is in better shape than I am !

Ray
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 07:55:13 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline AndyArrow

« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2011, 05:43:24 am »
24 without - 17 with.

Ray, I am amazed you kept it all these years.  I tested poz and was given and AIDS diagnosis in 1994 and I promptly threw the paper away and tried my best to forget the date.  Now, thanks to age and the virus and my better living through denial phase and I don't remember the exact date and since it was an AIDS diagnosis it's safe to assume I was infected much earlier.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.