Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:03:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 240
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 240
Total: 240

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Home Invasion...  (Read 5409 times)

Offline idee

• Hi...
Home Invasion...
« on: June 28, 2013, 08:58:16 pm »
Yesterday we were robbed. Two men dressed as Mormon missionaries invaded our home. They beat my husband up while I hid with our daughter and called 911.
I don't really want to go over it again, but it just happens to really bother me. I want to move and get trained to use a gun.
So my husband is working on the moving part and I am trying to find out what kind of gun would be best for my daughter and I to learn to shoot.
After all these guys who robbed us used guns with lasers on them.
My husband is very sore and it hurts for him to talk.
Today the channel 13 news here in Las Vegas is going to air our story at 11pm. It will be up on their site tomorrow.
So for now I just wait for my husband to wake up from his much needed nap to get dinner.
I am finally hungry and really ready to move.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: Home Invasion...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:16:28 pm »
Wow! That is horrible. I hate that your husband was beaten up but I'm glad you escaped with your lives.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 09:27:44 pm »

I am glad you and the family are ok. 
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 09:33:16 pm »
Hi Idee , so sorry that you are having to go through this . ((((Idee)))) .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Calison

• Struggling for 30 + years Ready for Next Big Leap!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 09:37:24 pm »
I am so sorry this happened to your family. I send hope that you all can come away from this quickly and overcome the trauma of this experience soon.
If You must have a gun to feel safer I think it is OK. It is rare that Lightening would strike twice so consider taking some time to be sure you want a gun though. After a trauma like the one you just experienced is not such a good time to make immediate important decisions. Perhaps a counselor could help sort out this for you all in the near future before you decide a gun is the best appropriate choice for your family. Hope as the days pass so soon will pass the memory of this event.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. ~ Oscar Wilde

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 12:19:36 am »
I'm so sorry this happened.  What a nightmare.  First, I am glad no one was seriously hurt, physically. 

I would suggest seeing a therapist, especially for your daughter.  I was about 6, when a man came into the restaurant we were eating in, murdered his wife and then shot and killed himself.  We never were taken to therapy.  My family never asked how we were doing with it.  I think they felt it was best to not bring it up, like we would just forget.  I think it is a big component in my anxiety issues.  Of course there are other things, but that murder/suicide had a huge impact. 

All the best as you move forward.  I can understand wanting a gun, after feeling so defenseless.  For me, I hate guns and don't want to be around them.  I know the stats that a family member is more likely to be hurt or killed by a gun in the home, than by intruders.  And, an intruder is more likely to use his/her weapon, if you have a gun.  Having said that, I can understand your feeling about this now. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 02:52:55 am »
idee, yes you should learn how to defend yourself and your family. Take the proper training course and train, train, train.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 11:18:29 am »
That's awful, Idee.  I'm so sorry this happened, but am glad you and your family are still among the living.

I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 11:32:01 am »
Geez Idee, that's horrible. Glad you and your family are ok.

-WIll
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline britchick

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 02:47:50 pm »
(((((((Im so sorry that this happenned to you and your family))))))))

Stay strong

Britchickx

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 03:22:43 pm »
So sorry to read this.  Hope you and family stay OK.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 03:54:56 pm »
Thank you. I am still not sleeping well and we plan on moving to another house. It will just take some time. I hate living here and I am too nervous to leave the house or even look out the peephole to see who is knocking. So we locked our front gate to the front door and decided that we don't care who comes to the door. Anyone we know has to call first.
Otherwise they are going to get the police called on them because they would have had to jump a gate to get to our front door.

Offline Calison

• Struggling for 30 + years Ready for Next Big Leap!
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 05:16:39 pm »
A locked gate has kept me safe from my nosy neighbors and the side effect is Mormon Street Urchins cant reach the door bell either.
Guns are not all that dangerous as a prop, as long as you don't add any bullets.
Never buy Bullets because, They say a Shotgun and the Click Clack sound made by pumping the shotgun is recognized around the world is a deterrant enough while keeping your fire arm "A Virgin".
I send as much comfort and calm to you and your family as I can muster. I have been held at gunpoint in a home invasion in 1988 and time healing will come.It will get lots better as time goes by.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. ~ Oscar Wilde

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 08:25:57 pm »
idee, I am so sorry this happened.  your feelings are very natural, and (as someone who also witnessed a murder) I agree with Ted that it would help to get some counseling.

big hug,
jm
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 12:07:26 am »
I just watched the news story online.  Hopefully, the news story will help find the men.  If someone comes to my door, I don't answer.  I don't want to deal with solicitors anyway, but you just never know. 

There was a very good looking, young guy, who came to our door to sell magazines.  He caught us on the front porch, so couldn't avoid him.  There were so many news stories how these magazine sales are a scam, so we weren't buying.  He kept asking so many personal questions.  He asked whether we all live here together.  My best friend lives with us.  I kept trying to figure out whether he was trying to figure out whether we are gay, or had some other motive.  He asked to use our phone.  I brought the cordless to him.  After, I kept wondering whether he was just trying to get our number and to see what expensive things we had. 

On a lighter note, I have that same canister set as your cookie jar.  However, I don't keep $3,000 dollars in it.  I don't keep any money in it.  I was going to say you shouldn't keep that kind of money at home, but maybe it caused them to leave, instead of staying longer and demanding more. 

Again, sorry you and your family had to go through this.  I hope they are caught.

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 12:56:08 am »
I just watched the news story online.  Hopefully, the news story will help find the men.  If someone comes to my door, I don't answer.  I don't want to deal with solicitors anyway, but you just never know. 

There was a very good looking, young guy, who came to our door to sell magazines.  He caught us on the front porch, so couldn't avoid him.  There were so many news stories how these magazine sales are a scam, so we weren't buying.  He kept asking so many personal questions.  He asked whether we all live here together.  My best friend lives with us.  I kept trying to figure out whether he was trying to figure out whether we are gay, or had some other motive.  He asked to use our phone.  I brought the cordless to him.  After, I kept wondering whether he was just trying to get our number and to see what expensive things we had. 

On a lighter note, I have that same canister set as your cookie jar.  However, I don't keep $3,000 dollars in it.  I don't keep any money in it.  I was going to say you shouldn't keep that kind of money at home, but maybe it caused them to leave, instead of staying longer and demanding more. 

Again, sorry you and your family had to go through this.  I hope they are caught.

We could not keep the money in the bank as we are on assistance do to our HIV care. We're hoping that Obama care does do all it says it will do for us in 2014 insurance wise and all. We were planning on taking our family trip to Disneyland next summer with the money.
 As for now we are just trying to see if we can move.

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2013, 12:58:45 am »
idee, I am so sorry this happened.  your feelings are very natural, and (as someone who also witnessed a murder) I agree with Ted that it would help to get some counseling.

big hug,
jm

Thanks, I am going to see my therapist next Monday as tomorrow I have school and other things that can't wait, but my daughter and I go to the therapist next Monday together.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2013, 01:48:14 am »
I too watched the news story and wanted to say how sorry I am to hear that this happened to you and your family. :'(

My first partner and I were burglarized three times - while we were not at home - and that was scary enough. Adding insult to injury however, one of the burglaries (the incident when we had the most possessions/money stolen) was two days after a devasting ($35k damage) house fire.  ::)

Once though, a drunk man did come in off the street into our house. He entered as my partner was letting 2 new puppies back into the house from a trip outside to pee. The guy pushed my partner around some; but I knocked the hell out of the guy, grappled his ass back outside, threw him down the steps and locked the door behind me when I got back in, while my partner called the police. We moved to a new home within a month of each of those four incidents.

In full disclosure, we had three guns in the house; but of course, none of our incidents were conducive to reaching the guns in time (when that guy entered our home as two of the guns were upstairs in the bedroom and the other was unloaded in the closet in the den) or being able to use the guns (when we were gone during the burglaries).

I hope counseling helps you, your husband and your daughter. I hope, if it is what y'all want and need, that you are able to find a new home soon. And I sincerely hope that a situation like this NEVER happens to you again.

hugs  :-*
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2013, 10:33:56 am »
So sorry you had to deal with this.  It'll take a while to feel safe again, but you will.  I agree that you might benefit from counseling.

Several years ago, a man kicked in our front door when I was home alone.  Luckily, I was in the bedroom and had quick access to my trusty ole 410.  I met him in the hallway and it didn't take him long to realize that I wasn't about to hesitate if he made another move forward.

A weapon might also give you a sense of security.  I can't stress enough the importance of a gun safety course.

Take care and best wishes.

Wolfie
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.