Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:05:58 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 640
Total: 642

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: McCain to suspend campaign to save America  (Read 8980 times)

Offline Dachshund

McCain to suspend campaign to save America
« on: September 24, 2008, 03:41:31 pm »
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 03:44:22 pm by Dachshund »

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
Re: McCain to suspend campaign to save America
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 03:57:49 pm »
"Tomorrow morning, I will suspend my campaign and return to Washington after speaking at the Clinton Global Initiative. I have spoken to Senator Obama and informed him of my decision and have asked him to join me. "

Yes he "spoke" to Obama.  That would be when Obama took the initiative on the issue and called him at 8:30 AM to suggest a joint statement.  It took McCain 6 hours to return the call and only minutes thereafter to issue his statement ...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080924/ap_on_el_pr/mccain_16

Ah politics...
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 04:01:10 pm »
Might have to do with this:

Economic Fears Give Obama Clear Lead Over McCain in Poll
Wednesday, September 24, 2008; A01

Turmoil in the financial industry and growing pessimism about the economy have altered the shape of the presidential race, giving Democratic nominee Barack Obama the first clear lead of the general-election campaign over Republican John McCain, according to the latest Washington Post-ABC News national poll.

Just 9 percent of those surveyed rated the economy as good or excellent, the first time that number has been in single digits since the days just before the 1992 election. Just 14 percent said the country is heading in the right direction, equaling the record low on that question in polls dating back to 1973.

More voters trust Obama to deal with the economy, and he currently has a big edge as the candidate who is more in tune with the economic problems Americans now face. He also has a double-digit advantage on handling the current problems on Wall Street, and as a result, there has been a rise in his overall support. The poll found that, among likely voters, Obama now leads McCain by 52 percent to 43 percent. Two weeks ago, in the days immediately following the Republican National Convention, the race was essentially even, with McCain at 49 percent and Obama at 47 percent.

As a point of comparison, neither of the last two Democratic nominees -- John F. Kerry in 2004 or Al Gore in 2000 -- recorded support above 50 percent in a pre-election poll by the Post and ABC News.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 04:46:00 pm »
I think if there has ever a time when we needed a Presidential debate, it is now!  We should be given the opportunity to see the two candidates side by side, putting forth their plans, agendas, and priorities for taking America into a better position.

If McCain is/ever was truly interested in doing what is in the best interest of the American people and with focus on this current credit crisis, instead of posturing (which is all he is doing--much like picking Palin), he'd say:  "Let's have the debate, let's set aside the prescribed conditions and format that was hammered out in a Washington law office, let's open it up and speak frankly, honestly, and then build upon the ideas we both have to try and take this country forward."

Did he do that?  No.

He's taking advantage of a very serious situation, and trying to use it to his political advantage.  Plain and simple.  If the American voters buy one ounce of the stagecraft he's engaged in, then they will get what they deserve.

Personally, I think we've just seen the final nail in the coffin of his campaign.  But then I tend to be too optimistic sometimes.

RAB

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 05:27:27 pm »
But we know that average Americans are mislead by smoke and mirrors all the time.  Take the Iraq war, that was a mastery of obfuscation and in the end, nobody knew what the truth really was.  It took another 3 years until it was admitted that much of the justification for the war was manufactured and some officials were manipulated to appear as supporting the plan universally.

I hate that the financial crisis has brought our country to her knees, because Stephen and I went through bankruptcy and it was devastating.  As I watch this election from a foreign country, I was becoming afraid that Americans were falling for Bush/McCain 2008.  And when Ms. Palin hit the stage and the words "field dressing a moose" and "lipstick pit bull" were used in reference to the election of the next president of the United States of America, I really started to worry.

We need to contact everyone we know and help to inform them on the real issues of this election.  It seems the media is toning down the vacuous slant on this election and the debates must be held if people are to be expected to make an informed decision. 

Offline atlq

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 05:37:06 pm »
Might have to do with this:

Or as Rep. Barney Frank (who is actually working on this legislation) put it:

From NBC's Mike Viqueira
For what it's worth, the man who is leading congressional Democrats in negotiating the bailout deal with the administration isn't impressed with Sen. McCain's announcement.

Rep. Barney Frank told a group of reporters outside the House chamber:

"It's the longest Hail Mary pass in the history of either football or Marys."

“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline atlq

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 05:42:36 pm »
 The new campaign slogan....

http://thismodernworld.com/4484

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 06:13:13 pm »
One wonders if McCain will wind up proposing that the election be delayed as well.

Long live King George eh?
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline libvet

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 07:50:49 pm »
I think if there has ever a time when we needed a Presidential debate, it is now!  We should be given the opportunity to see the two candidates side by side, putting forth their plans, agendas, and priorities for taking America into a better position.

RAB

Amen.    There is really nothing to be gained by this and the very last thing this issue before congress needs is the injection of presidential campaigning.

Congress has managed without John McCain since April....and I'm entirely certain that if his vote is needed, there is nowhere on his campaign trail that is not within a few hours flight by his wife's plane.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 08:34:45 pm »
One wonders if McCain will wind up proposing that the election be delayed as well.

Doesn't this sitting president already have the authority to do this, under a national emergency  :-X  Couldn't this be enacted by him under the patriot Act ???  I had heard some discussion of this several months ago.    Heaven forbid...

Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline atlq

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 09:37:00 pm »
Doesn't this sitting president already have the authority to do this, under a national emergency  :-X  Couldn't this be enacted by him under the patriot Act ???  I had heard some discussion of this several months ago.    Heaven forbid...

Ray

No. Thankfully the President processes no legal authority to cancel elections and keep himself in office. Of course, the cost of the policies he pursued and the neglect of our nations finances that he allowed will be staying with us a long time.......

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 10:28:43 pm »
I watched the fool address the nation tonight, regarding this "recession" we are facing.  (I thought the economy was rosy!)   We are on the brink of disaster.

He's lucky I couldn't reach through the screen and get my hands around his throat.... >:(
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 11:12:11 pm »
Nothing but a political move and McCain is showing what a spineless twat he truly is.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2008, 11:25:23 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbg6hF0nShQ

COURIC: But he's been in Congress for 26 years. He's been chairman of the powerful Commerce Committee. And he has almost always sided with less regulation, not more.

PALIN: He's also known as the maverick, though. Taking shots from his own party, and certainly taking shots from the other party. Trying to get people to understand what he's been talking about — the need to reform government.

COURIC: I'm just going to ask you one more time, not to belabor the point. Specific examples in his 26 years of pushing for more regulation?

PALIN: I'll try to find you some, and I'll bring them to you.

Offline Robert

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 12:41:03 am »
Did you see where Palin said another Great Depression is possible?

Along with McCain saying the economy if fundamentally sound, this couple makes a great pair. 

They're not just an odd couple.  They're disfunctional and their campaign is taking a nose dive.

robert

Offline edfu

« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 04:20:18 am »
Dave Letterman reacts to McCain's suspension (and last-minute cancellation--McCain was scheduled to appear on Letterman tonight):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjkCrfylq-E
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline randym431

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 05:02:03 am »
Oh lets not be bothered by Mccain.
We already know how it would have gone...
Lets play our own debate game.
Mccain, Obama Friday 9/26 debate.

Q. Mr Mccain, what do you think of the economy?
A. (Mccain) The fundamentals of the economy are sound.
Q. WHAT?
A. (Mccain) I am a maverick.
Q. WHAT?
A. (Mccain) I think Cindy will make a great first lady.
Q. WHAT?
A. (Mccain) Now you see why I chose Palin.
Q. WHAT?
A. (Mccain) Once I never even had a table.
Q. WHAT?
A. (Mccain) We're going to drain the swamp.
Q. WHAT?
A. (Mccain) Someone please call 911...911, 91, 999...

Q. Mr Obama, any thoughts?
A. (Obama) What the hell?
Thank you for joining us tonight for the debates. We learned a lot.
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline randym431

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 05:19:35 am »
Attempt at humor aside, Mccain just wants to return to Washington to make sure this bailout gets FU-ed up right. (And he gets his cut)
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 04:22:47 pm »
It is unbelievable to me that some people cant see McCain canceling the debates for the cheap stunt it is .

Lets see , He cant debate for 90 minutes because he has to rush to washington to stave off a recession he has denied we are in to interject himself into a banking committee meeting he is not a member of anyway .... Give me a break .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline dixieman

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 05:16:58 pm »
I hope he and congress SAVES America! right...

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2008, 05:23:31 pm »
STOP BEING A NATION OF WHINERS!

PS: I slept through Bush's speech last night... either that or I watched Rachel Zoe

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2008, 05:41:38 pm »
Bill Clinton's comments today agreed today that McCain did the right thing to suspend his campaigning.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 07:21:53 pm »
It is unbelievable to me that some people cant see McCain canceling the debates for the cheap stunt it is .

Actually, I can believe it, and McCain is hoping for just that.  Here's how I think the McCain team intends it pan out:  while Obama is on stage in Mississippi waiting for McCain to arrive for the debate, McCain is in Washington and "coincidentally" announces a big breakthrough in the bailout.  The McCain team then paints Obama as a talker, and McCain as a do-er. 

McCain's poll numbers have been going down now that the Palin splash has subsided.  And since McCain doesn't have much to lose when it comes his credentials on the economy (especially since you could argue that he helped cause this crisis), this is a calculated gamble where he doesn't really have that much lose.

Democrats will need to stay on top of this one closely, or McCain could up-stage Obama.

Regards,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline atlq

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2008, 09:43:21 am »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2008, 10:06:26 am »
Bill Clinton's comments today agreed today that McCain did the right thing to suspend his campaigning.

Sure he did...and he did it when McCain who was so busy suspending his campaign because his attention was needed to save the economy somehow still have plenty of time to make a speech at Clinton's conference.

I like what Letterman said about why does he need to suspend his campaign since his Vice President should be able to continue in his role while he is so busy...if McCain doesn't trust her to handle his campaign appearances then why should he ask us to trust her to be there to run the country in case he dies.

I can't fathom anyone voting for him now.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2008, 10:12:03 am »
I wonder what excuse will be offered when its Palin's time to debate .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Iggy

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2008, 12:01:55 pm »
Good News!  The economy is fixed.  McCain is attending the debate tonight.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2008, 12:15:57 pm »
I wonder what excuse will be offered when its Palin's time to debate .

The coast next to her house has completely eroded because of melting ice and her house is now completely flooded?

Her daughter couldn't stand that highschool sweetheart that locked her up and ran off to Vegas to marry Britney Spare's ex-husband?

That she's so committed to national security that it's her priority to keep America safe by keeping watch on Russia from her house than wasting time on political debates?

It crashes with her scheduled interview with Sean Hannity, in which she's expected to talk about another priority - the crisis of family value and how gay mafia in Wall Street is ruining the country?
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2008, 12:21:31 pm »
Well Nancy ... now I know .  ;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 12:23:35 pm by jg1962 »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Basquo

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 01:23:14 pm »
Good News!  The economy is fixed.  McCain is attending the debate tonight.

I just saw that on CNN. But a plan hasn't been finaled has it?

Glad we can count on this mofo to keep his word!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 03:27:58 pm »
Iggy, it's 3:27 p.m and there is no approval as of yet.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 06:58:11 pm »
Iggy, it's 3:27 p.m and there is no approval as of yet.

What are you talking about?  Not only has McCain's campaign confirm this morning that he would be attending the debate - he's already announced that he's won

::)

http://www.towleroad.com/2008/09/mccain-declares.html

Offline atlq

« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 08:30:17 pm »
What are you talking about?  Not only has McCain's campaign confirm this morning that he would be attending the debate - he's already announced that he's won

::)

http://www.towleroad.com/2008/09/mccain-declares.html

lol.....

Seriously, any doubts that "undecided" voters had about the decision making capabilities of these two men should have been put to rest this week. John McCain has behaved incoherently (the fundamentals of the economy are sound...no they aren't....I oppose the bailout of AIG...no I don't...I'm suspending my campaign to solve the market liquidity crisis...no I 'm not...) and almost hysterically, while Obama has been cool under fire and focused. He managed to continue his campaign and enunciate the  four principles that he supported as far as the bailout was concerned.  McCain? As he was flying into D.C. with the plan to save us all, he admitted that he had not even read Secretary Paulson's (three page) proposal.

You know, what we might want in a president?   Someone who can do at least two things at a time....Just sayin'.....

« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 08:33:09 pm by atlq »

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 09:45:39 pm »
What do you mean that John can not do more than one thing at a time.  For the past few months he's been talking out of both sides of his mouth and his ass simultaneously.

Offline atlq

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 09:55:39 pm »
What do you mean that John can not do more than one thing at a time.  For the past few months he's been talking out of both sides of his mouth and his ass simultaneously.

I stand corrected.

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2008, 12:33:09 am »
In my opinion the presentation during the debate was horrible from both candidates and no one came out smelling like roses I was really expecting more. Thw whole thing was smoke & mirrors.

Having said that I don't know if anyone agrees with me however this debate didn't change a thing in the polls the way I see it. Obama & McCain's performance was the same just not spectacular. Obama looked calm and nonchalant McCain looked determined and ready for the attack. 

Anyways I feel that this is turning out to be a repeat of the Bush vs Kerry campaign and people will vote for the less of the evils. All in all it's classic politics as expected, and I wasn't convinced from either candidate.

Can we please get another set of candidates?

And to think 5 million dollars was spent on this thing. They should have paid each person attending $50,000 to sit through this thing.

Regards Mike
« Last Edit: September 27, 2008, 01:23:48 am by Mike89406 »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2008, 09:33:26 am »
McCain wouldn't look at Obama and constantly looked irritated, which IMO really made him look older than he already is.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2008, 09:40:08 am »
McCain wouldn't look at Obama and constantly looked irritated, which IMO really made him look older than he already is.

I bet Saturday night live will have a easy time writing this into a show
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline komnaes

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2008, 09:42:24 am »

I suppose the trick was to look as if he was a teacher dealing with a naive if not stupid student.. to emphasize Obama's "inexperience"..
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2008, 12:30:21 pm »
I heard that is a tactic buy not looking at the opponent to throw them off.

Mike

Offline komnaes

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2008, 12:55:51 pm »
Talk about looking at your opponent.. the best advise (yes, I am all for sharing.. :D) on debate and negotiation was given to me by a teacher when I was in high-school, just about making it to the school's debate team:

Staring right back at your opponent when s/he speaks, but not looking at the eyes, focusing instead on his/her ears, as it would appear to others that you are looking at him/her but your opponents can feel that you're not and apparently it's very irritating ..

And no reaction at all when s/he speaks, put on a poker face, keep that stare and blank face for another 2 seconds or so before you talk.
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2008, 08:10:56 pm »
I heard that is a tactic buy not looking at the opponent to throw them off.

Mike

It may well be, but Obama stayed aggressive.  I saw a couple polls today on MSNBC that showed more people think Obama won the debate.

Offline pozguy75

• POZitively Speaking
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2008, 08:17:44 pm »
McCain constantly talked down to Obama...it was like watching a father lecturing his son about how the son doesn't understand how the world works...

I also found it interesting watching the audience reaction at the bottom of the screen. It was the independents that I found interesting...every time McCain went negative their reaction went to the negative but, when Obama went on the defense, their reaction went to the positive...
Dx 2005
ATRIPLA

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.