Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:45:56 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37645
  • Latest: ravsam
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773227
  • Total Topics: 66339
  • Online Today: 623
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 237
Total: 237

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: completely freaked out  (Read 10999 times)

Offline Sow

completely freaked out
« on: December 11, 2006, 09:28:33 pm »
hi,

i was with a friend and we were eating together some finger food, and then i noticed that his finger was bleeding a lot. i think because he picked his scab... i am particularly worried in this case because i know my friend is very very promiscuous, and he sleeps with many many people and he still does not use protection, even after i have cautioned him to do so...

anyway, we were sharing food together, and the thought of his blood somehow entering my mouth or eyes (when i rubbed them) is making me very worried. his blood could have also entered in the tiny cuts on my lips too, because i bite them... i am even going to get tested because of this... are the chances of getting hiv high in this case?

Offline RapidRod

Re: blood in mouth or eye
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 09:39:19 pm »
No and you don't get HIV from eating or blood in food or condiments.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: blood in mouth or eye
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 10:00:28 pm »
Sow, this is all about what ifs. What if my friend IS HIV+ and what IF blood went freshly into my eye. Etc. You don't HIV from eating food with blood on it. And as far as the possibility of it through your eye -- well theoretically that could happen if fresh blood splattered into your eye, (which didn't happen in this case), but theoretical is quite different from real risk.

It seems to me this is really more about your feelings about HIV in general and your friend in particular. 

There was no real risk of transmission in this setting. You ought to read the lesson on HIV Transmission which is on this site. You'll find a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section.

You don't have any reason to get tested but you do need to become better educated about HIV. Read the lesson.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: December 11, 2006, 10:02:01 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Sow

2 incidents
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 06:39:48 pm »
hi,

i was getting my haircut yesterday, and the person cutting my hair accidentally cut the top of my ear with the buzzer or the electric shears... and the top of my ear bled quite a bit... i was wondering if she cut another person before me with those same electric shears, and then cut me with them, would that be a transmission route for HIV? is this the same type of scenario as sharing a needle?

thanks

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
Re: 2 incidents
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 06:44:44 pm »
This is NOT a risk of HIV transmission.  It isnt the same as sharing a needle either.  HIV is VERY fragile and not transmitted easily outside the body.  You have had no risk.

And please keep your thoughts in your original thread.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2007, 07:22:09 pm »
Sow,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

You didn't have a risk for hiv infection in this barbershop scenario. Hiv is a fragile, difficult to transmit virus that is primarily transmitted INSIDE the human body, as in unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse.

You didn't have a risk.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Sow

blood in eye
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 09:39:42 pm »
hi,

i was having a type of skin surgery done and i noticed that the doctor's assistant had some type of cut or something in the back of her hand. it was a big cut and i am worried if that as she was putting on her gloves her blood accidentally went on the tips of her gloves. after that she put some type of blinders on my eyes and i am afraid the blood on her fingertips got into my eyes as she was putting the blinders on me... is there a risk in this type of situation.

thanks

Offline RapidRod

Re: blood in eye
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 09:54:05 pm »
Do not start new threads for every concern or question you come up with. Return to your orginal thread.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 10:27:40 pm »
#1 Stop starting new threads everytime you have another fear or comment. Please keep all of your entries here where I have merged your threads.

#2 This latest bit from you is yet another WHAT IF. No basis of course in HIV science but you're asking us to take seriously something hasn't even happened and if it did has absolutely no basis in HIV science nor any precedent in being documented in the epidemic as a risk.

What we're talking about here is some kind of HIV-phobia on your part. If you can't let go of this then I suggest you see a therapist or other professional to discuss what's driving these unwarranted concerns.

We can't properly address this kind of emotionally-driven issue here.
Andy Velez

Offline Sow

haircut incident
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 08:48:36 pm »
Hi,

When I was getting a haircut, I felt the barber brush the comb on my scalp and felt a pimple pop, which bled a good amount. And then right after my haircut when I was paying, I noticed that the woman who cut my hair had fresh blood on her index finger. What are the chances of getting HIV if the blood on her finger mixed with the open wound on my scalp?

Also, I don't understand why there are numerous posts like mine, and why in such cases they are not considered real risks of infection... isn't blood contact a risk, especially when it is exposed to a wound?

Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 09:44:45 pm »
You were never at risk. You don't get HIV via a popped pimple.

Offline Sow

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 09:51:38 pm »
If the blood on her finger accidentally got into the wound on my scalp, wouldn't that be a risk?

Again, I don't understand why incidents like these involving blood contact is not considered a risk for getting HIV. Coudl you explain.

Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 10:01:42 pm »
Earth calling Sow.

You continue on with new entries without any apparent comprehension or interest in what has been said to you.

You simply bring up yet another what if so-called risk which of course isn't a risk at all. Which you would realize if you were actually listening and taking in the lesson on Transmission.

So I am warning you that you are on the verge of being gven a time out. Come back in from the twilight zone and read what you've been told. The next time you come up with one of your cockamamie "risks" you're going to get a 30 day time out.

Really.
Andy Velez

Offline Sow

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2007, 04:20:18 pm »
I just read your Lessons page, and there is a line that says: "HIV enters the body through open cuts, sores, or breaks in the skin; through mucous membranes, such as those inside the anus or vagina; or through direct injection."

Since the incident I last described with me getting my haircut involved a blood to blood contact through the wound in my scalp, how is this not a risk?

It says in your Lessons that HIV enters through open cuts, sores, and breaks in the skin. So with my incident, I would logically think that there was a risk for HIV infection. If you can explain why HIV is not transmitted this way, then I can stop asking questions about what you consider to be "silly" incidents... and I think many other people on this forum asking the same types of questions will also stop asking their questions like mine. So, why is this not a risk for getting HIV?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2007, 04:29:55 pm »
The kind of incident you have described is theoretically risky. But theory is much different than the real world of HIV and transmission.

There has in fact never been a documented case of transmission via the kind of incident in a barber shop or beauty parlor such as you have described. Nicks, cuts, bruises, etc. notwithstanding. Not one!

You are also after all assuming the person who touched you is in fact HIV+. Of course you have absolutely no solid basis for that assumption. And bear in mind that HIV is a fragile virus and not easily transferred. It requires a welcoming environment such as a vagina or an anus.

Not a sore on the back of your head or neck. 

Or on your hand or your lip or elsewhere on your body.

Could it happen? Theoretically yes if there is a newly open cut into which significant amounts of HIV+ blood are being poured directly. Hardly the circumstances you have described.

So no, I don't see you as having been at risk and I do suggest you are spending a lot more energy than is either healthy or productive on these scenarios.

Go ahead and worry and get tested if you must. Collect the inevitable negative results.

The real issue of transmission in all but the very smallest number of cases, (other than sharing needles and healthcare accidents) is via unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse.
Andy Velez

Offline Sow

just got tested
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 02:31:05 pm »
hi all,

i just got tested after an incident from long ago, from having unprotected sex long ago... like 6 months ago... but while i was getting tested, i noticed the layout of everything... the sharps container was between the glove dispensr and testing equipment. it was on the same table... for safety reasons to prevent cross contamination with the equipment, shouldn't the sharps container be far away from everything else? Coz I saw spots of dried blood on the mouth of the sharps container, and I am a bit worried that as the nurse was grabbing the gloves, the gloves brushed against the top of the sharps container... is this anything to worry about?

Thanks

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2007, 04:09:37 pm »
Sow, you were never at risk. If you don't like the way they are set up, tell them. I'm sure they will have words to tell you.

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2007, 04:17:57 pm »
Fretting over the procedures of testing centers is yet another demonstration of your unfounded, neurotic fear of HIV.

Infection happens inside the body, not on a box of gloves, dried blood or not.

Brent
(Who wonders if Sow ever reads his replies)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Sow

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2007, 04:19:13 pm »
oooooooooookaaay... maybe i was not at risk... what kind of words do you think they would say?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2007, 05:15:13 pm »
We're not here to speculate about what others might say.

You repeatedly come here with concerns that have no grounded basis in HIV science.

Maybe it's time for YOU to get serious and talk with a therapist or other professional about your unwarranted fears about HIV.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Sow

« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2007, 05:26:52 pm »
okay,

i just read the "i just tested poz" forum in order to gain an understanding of how a person gets hiv... and there are a number of people who got positve test results, BUT they have no clue how they got HIV? they even had no sex or had protected sex... how the HELL is this possible?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2007, 05:37:54 pm »
Sow,

What goes on in the other forums is absolutely NONE of your business.

All you need to know is to use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. Read through the three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use them with confidence.

Keep this up tonight with your no risk situation and you will be given a four week time out in order to encourage you to seek the professional help you need. Read the Welcome thread and take heed. You have been warned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Sow

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2007, 05:08:47 pm »
Who can I talk to about my fears that would be knowledgeable about hiv?

Offline Sow

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2007, 11:36:42 pm »
hi all,

recently, one of my family members who is confirmed hiv positive came over and visited. in fact, a lot of my fears about hiv have derived from him...

i saw him using dental floss in the bathroom, and then soon afterwards i got dental floss from the same container he got it from (but i did not use the same string of course, just got it from the container)...

since he handled the dental floss container after he used it, could small quantities of his blood that could have gotten on the container be infectious?

is it fine to use the same container of dental floss or even the tube of toothpaste?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2007, 11:57:42 pm »
Sow,

You already know the answers to this. You're just making stuff up. I really think you need to re-read Ann's warning to you about being timed out.

Reported.

MtD

Offline Sow

« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2007, 12:00:38 am »
i am not actually making anything up... this really happened

thank you

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2007, 07:47:29 am »
We've given you the basic information about HIV transmission. We've addressed a number of totally unfounded fears you've brought up.

It's time to call a halt to what can really be an endless number of scenarios for you to come up with. The essential thing for a "civilian" such as yourself to be concerned about in terms of transmission is unprotected vaginal or anal sex. Everything else is pretty much theoretical in terms of risk. And no, I don't want to get into a back and forth about exceptions you may want to come up with.

If these things you continue to bring up are seriously bothering you then I suggest it's time for you to see a therapist or other such professional to discuss your situation and to get support with your fears about HIV. Doing that is beyond the scope of this site.

Just so you know, you're on the verge of getting a time out here.
Andy Velez

Offline Sow

completely freaked out
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2009, 09:48:12 pm »
Hi guys,

Something happened to me that never happened before.

I was in a public bathroom and I used the toilet paper that was in my stall. And after I wiped my anus I noticed that the toilet paper in the dispenser was stained with blood. And it was bright red which means it wasn't dry. It looked moist. The blood must have soaked through a few layers on that roll.

And I wiped my anus with the blood-stained toilet paper.

How likely will I get HIV from this frightening occurrence? Should I get tested?

Offline RapidRod

Re: completely freaked out
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 01:25:30 am »
Your questions will not be answered until you return to your orginal post.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: completely freaked out
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2009, 07:41:15 am »
Sow,

I've merged your threads once again. You've been coming here long enough now to #1, know that you have to use your original thread for additional questions and #2, that hiv is NOT transmitted in the way you're worried about.

Do NOT go on and on about this latest NO RISK incident of yours, or you will be quickly timed out. Not one person has ever been infected through bloody toilet paper, or any other bloody thing in the environment, and you won't be the first.

I suggest you seek professional mental health care for your extreme hiv phobia. We cannot help you with that here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.