Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:56:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773199
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 513
Total: 514

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: shingles? UGH!  (Read 3796 times)

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
shingles? UGH!
« on: October 13, 2010, 08:44:05 pm »
Hello All

Last night I started to notice a band of sensitive tingly skin from my thigh across to right above my crotch.  It has gotten more intense as the day has gone on.  I don't see any rash developing, but I am quite concerned that this could be the beginning of shingles.  I have a doctor's appointment on Friday morning (for blood work results) and now I am worried that my counts might have dropped, hence the shingles.

I had shingles once before years ago before infection with HIV.  It didn't really hurt but the rash came up mildly and went away.  I thought if you had it once, it was kinda hard to get it again.

Anyone have any advice on what to look for so I can tell my doctor in case he wants me to come in earlier tomorrow?

Thanks

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: shingles? UGH!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 08:51:10 pm »
VALTREX. ASAP.

If you hit during the tingly phase (before the rash comes up) you'll be much happier. It really makes a difference to the duration and severity. Early treatment also reduces the likelihood of developing post herpetic neuralgia.

Shingles can recur with horrible regularity. Be happy it's not on your neck and face,

MtD

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 10:56:01 pm »
I have nothing informative to report, just hoping that you listen to Matty. He knows his shit about this stuff. I have never had shingles, but have many friends who suffered from it, and would not wish it on my worst enemy.

Hope you get the meds you need, and the relief you deserve!

jk
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline HARLEY_B

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 04:41:34 am »
 When I had it flare up, it was only on the one side and waited for a while before seeing a doctor about it. It hurt like hell. Yeah definately see your doctor about it and start the medication..usualy Valcyclovir or something akin to it for 10 days. It will clear up sooner if you don't wait...and yes, have heard it can recur from time to time.

Offline roy100

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 09:21:47 pm »
It can be also just fungus, athlete's foot in your body.
You don't mention your CD s but, if they are less than 350 , you can expect fungus any time , and one of its characteristics is crying skin ( sensible skin).

My Dr told me to consider using fluconazole , as a normal resource, every month , and every two months as the Cd's grow. He calls this treatment pulses.

So far it works, and sign of rash in my mouth , fluconazole, for a weak, and like magic its gone.
Any burning sensation in my feet, or pubis area, fluconazole.

Greetings.
Diagnosed 18Th March 2010
March 30Th VL +100,000 CD4 46
CD8T  575 CD8 %60.6
On Truvada and Kaletra. . Remeron 15mg  and150 mg  wellbutrin xl for depression. Clonazepan 2 mg to sleep. Omeprazole 20  once a day.
July 17 2010 Vl 362 CD4 155, 6.4 %
CD8T suppressors 1482 CD8% 61.1
 Nov 16 2010: V l 937 CD4 188,10%
CD8T Suppresors 997 CD8%55.8
August 15th 2011 Vl UD, less than 40.
CD4:543(26.7%) CD8:887 (43.6 %) Ratio .61
Jan 14th,2012 ,less than 40.
CD4:478 (24.4%) CD8: 962 (49.1%) Ratio.50
June 2012 CD4 599, CD8 856 UD
Oct 2013 CD 702, CD 843 UD Ratio:.87

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 01:17:07 pm »
Went to doc...Not shingles, looks like bites.  He thinks fleas or bedbugs!!!  YUCK!

I have to go and inspect tonight.  My mattress is brand new so I pray it didnt come with bugs.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 01:26:16 pm »
Before others here think Pete's a filthy pig with bed bugs I'll just add that there's been a large-ish outbreak of this in the NYC area in the past few years, but definitely this year I've seen lots about it in the media.  You know Pete, even something simple as going to a movie theater can bring them home, all it takes is for someone else to have them hitching a ride.

Supposedly they've come down this way too but I haven't read that many articles about it to the degree I have in the NYC area, but it's not like we're very far away.  How many bites do you have on your body?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline smiteler

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 01:35:31 pm »
what really skeeves you about bedbugs is
you can have them and never know it!
the bites are only noticed by people who have a reaction to them.
luckly that is the majority of people
but for some....

Offline PeteNYNJ

• Dance for Me, Puppets
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 03:29:20 pm »
I would say about 10...I have a follow up with a dermatologist to determine what it exactly is because I seem to be very allergic to whatever that bite is - they dont itch, they are painful 

Offline dixieman

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 05:40:11 pm »
Pete... I've had the shingles 3 times... not fun at all... and usally a bite will itch not hurt? On my first experience with shingles my general practioner... stated he thought it was ant bites... until I stated in a very loud voice... I know what a ant bite looks like... fortunately for me he re-evaluated his diagnosis... it turned out to be shingles... so the dermatologist is the best way to go... best of luck...

Offline Hoover

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 02:58:30 pm »
Let's hope it is bed bugs!

I have something the doctors can't determine if it is shingles or not.
Months ago I thought I had what I believed to be a torn a muscle in my thigh while doing lunges. The middle of my thigh would hurt after standing for a few minutes and I would have to sit down for it to recuperate. This was worse in the mornings and better in the afternoons. My partner sent me to the physical therapist who did electrical treatments. After two weeks I felt good and went on vacation. After 15 hours of flying my thigh started to spasm and walking hurt.
Thankfully we were in Amsterdam and I picked up the strongest hash they had to ease the pain, but two days later we went to the emergency room for a shot of demerol. The spasms ended and the leg got better but then I had stinging/numbness in the skin around my knee. There are no signs of rash, only pain if anything touches it.
After two months of that pain around the knee, it is almost gone but still unpleasant at times.
The doctors said it was not HIV related and a 2% chance it was shingles without a rash..... Only med prescribed is the Lyrica in 150mg but take only about 35mg at night due to feeling drunk.

Any thought on that one?

If this is what shingles feels like, getting the vaccination sounds like a great idea.

Hoover
Infection date: March 16, 2010
20/05/10 - CD4 348  VL 58,000  Lymph nodes in jaw painful!  Antioxidants started.
01/06/10 - CD4 428  VL?
24/06/10 - CD4 578  VL 9,800
13/07/10 - CD4 620  VL?
04/09/10 - CD4 648  VL?
01/11/10 - CD4 710  VL?   CD8 972
16/12/10    CD4 738  VL?  CD8  896   
02/02/11    CD4 520 (month of parasites and new lab)
14/03/11 started Truvida and Sustiva (Efavirenz)
04/07/11 CD4 686 VL 75 CD8 588  41%
10/10/11 CD4 757  45%  VL UD

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.