Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 10:08:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 133
Total: 133

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Carcinoma again  (Read 5462 times)

Offline mudman8

Carcinoma again
« on: March 14, 2010, 02:46:38 pm »
I had bumps on my head 4 years ago (surgically removed) and the year after they appeared again (radiation this time), I'd gotten great support from others here at that time.  I was warned they could come back and they did 2 years later in my right lymph gland. I noticed a bump under my ear while shaving, don't ignore hard bumps ANYWHERE! Lots of scans and Dr appmts I just got out of surgery Thurs and home on Saturday, Last night was the first full sleep I"ve had in 4 days.  I decided with Dr to get the whole gland taken out as it has been aggressive and didn't want to do it all again.  Great surgeon and it's not as painful after as I'd thought. Tho I do have drain tubes coming out the back of my ear and chewing food is not good I will get by.  They come out Monday morning, then it's just keeping the wound clean.  I look like a star trek character.

It certainly isn't easy being single and trying to handle all this stuff on my own but I have great friends here in LA to keep me going.  Unlike others I'm happy living alone but I do have one significant guy I see, that helps a lot, but friends are the best.  Find a network and help someone else out. You'll get back loads of help in return. We need to stick together. I'd post a pic but I don't want to scare grown men or little children.
Life is analog

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Carcinoma again
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 04:27:02 am »
Mud, I'm sorry to hear you're having to deal with all this.  You sound like you're really taking it in stride, and have a fantastic attitude; I don't know if I would be taking it as good. 

I live alone also, and don't mind either, but like you said, it's times like what you're going through that having someone else around would probably be nice.  I hope your recovery keeps going well!

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline mudman8

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 05:24:01 pm »
Thanks Betty, I try to keep my chin up.  Entertain myself and try not to expect too much.  I try to give out good vibes even at the hospital, they deal with so much angry stuff it makes their day easier and I get a smile in return.  Kaiser is my provider and they really have great staff and facilities.

When I came to at 4 PM I was so loaded they put me in a quieter area, nurse was great.  My friend John came and I said just turn on my stereo and start with Mahler's 1st symphony, he just laughed. For some strange reason when I'm under pressure I joke, that didn't go over well with a couple of my bosses but my coworkers loved me.  I have dull aches and my mouth isn't working right but many nerves don't function now so the numbness is working to my benefit.  Tho I ain't doin' nothin' I don't want to do for next 2 weeks. Lots of new vinyl for me to explore from a friend's collection when he moved. Ella, Nat, Dina, Beatles here I come. ::)

I'll be back to post since it's difficult to talk typing is best
Life is analog

Offline heartforyou

• I must be a survivor in many ways...
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 05:47:39 pm »
Carcinoma.... oh Lordie.. not the kindest to deal with. I know from experience.

Hope you will recover fast

xx Hermie
Infected 1983. Diagnosed in 1987 and still kicking
Dovato once daily. Hydrea

Happiness is the freedom of breathing fresh air every day.

Offline mudman8

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 12:41:16 pm »
yeah, it is cancer and has to be dealt with,  At least it's not a raging one like Lymphoma or Melanoma.  I can now show people my battlestar glactica scar.  I used to bend down and show them my scalp scar.  The Dr warned me of all sorts of things and I didn't care, just wanted it out of my body. He siad he works with a lot of hollywood types and TV people and they always have to look perfect.

My main problem now is numbness around my ear and neck, woke yesterday in great pain and I had rolled over onto my right side, no no no, never do that again.  My right side lips don't work well either when talking and forget chewing much

If anyone has a bump appear and it starts to scab, RUN to the Dr and get MOHS surgery. What I have is a result of not acting fast enough years ago.  Dr says they got all of it but  next step could have been to my lungs so I"m glad that hasn't happened.
Life is analog

Offline mudman8

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 03:44:23 pm »
hi all, been a long time thought I"d check in.  Feb I had my right lymph gland removed that was cancerous.  4 weeks of weird nerve spasms and repair. My right face was pretty numb and eating anything hard or crunchy was a painful experience.

Then 6 weeks of daily radiation, It was alright till 3rd week I lost all sense of taste. Now food is just bland or caustic tasting, and one Dr said it wouldn't come back all the way. I finished Radiation 2 weeks ago, they gave me my plastic mesh mask and a graduation certificate.   I'll find a place for it but not bedroom or living room.  Laying on the table and being locked down onto it was not for the claustrophobic.

That last day I had my 2nd chemo of Carbo Platinum which has further reduced my energy.  So now I"m 2 weeks beyond and my mouth is tender and sore, itchy scaly skin on my back neck area and I look like I spent all 6 weeks in the sun in Palm Springs.

The techs and Drs have all been great.  Most say I"ve come thru this a lot better than most.  I'd hate to think about that.  My friends were helpful and one special boyfriend  would show up after work once a week and just lay down with me and let the sun go down. That was really needed.  Now to get my mojo back.

Thank goodness for Wellbutrin, Ativan and Marinol for mental health.
Life is analog

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 05:12:23 pm »
Hey Mud,

Thanks for checking in.  It sounds absolutely awful, but you've got a hell of an "up" attitude about it.  Good luck, and all that!
 Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 12:45:04 am »
Wow Mud,

You've been through a lot, but you also seem to have the chutzpah to see it through.

Thanks for letting us know how things are going.

\HUGS,

Mark

P.S. I will send positive and healing energy your way.
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 05:06:34 pm »
Hi Mud,
Man you have been through the ringer. I just last year lost half of my ring finger due to a skin malignant melanoma.
Like you say, early detection is key! Mine started out like a little red blood blister and I got it removed right away. The DR said it was a good thing I did that. They took the finger off to be safe and they needed certain margins, a small price to pay indeed.
I hope you have a speedy recovery. Many will benefit from your posts!
All the best,
Jeff
Positive since 1985

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.