Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:33:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 435
Total: 435

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Just Tested Poz  (Read 11209 times)

Offline INeedBiggerGuns

Just Tested Poz
« on: March 25, 2007, 03:55:00 am »
Tested positive on 3-22-07.

Decided to finally muster up the courage in order to go get tested.
Had unusual amount of sinus infections, and upper respiratory infections.
Had a few unprotected sex partners, don't really know currently where
I'm at with CD4 / VL levels. I took an "Oraquick" test that showed a
very faint T line which showed up as reactive to HIV antibodies. Im waiting
for confirmation of western blot, which should be due back 3/30.

I'm not really holding on to the idea that it was a false positive,because
they are suppose to be 99.6% accurate.

I haven't cried yet, wondering when that is going to come along.

Only my girlfriend my grandmother and the AIDS counselor knows Im positive.

I was afraid my girlfriend would leave me, but she said she doesn't want anything
to change, and that she still loves me, (what a great gal).

Hoping to find some support, and make some friends.
Much Love To All.

Offline allopathicholistic

Re: Just Tested Poz
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 09:56:29 am »
Thanks for opening up to us. Saddened to hear you tested positive but it sounds like you have a great girlfriend and a growing support network with an HIV counselor etc. Good going there, he/she sounds like a great resource. Now it's time to monitor your viral load and CD4 counts on a periodic basis with a qualified health care professional. We're here for you. The members here are so diverse. Some have lived with HIV since the early 1980's!  :o Some have tested poz only recently, like this year, last year, etc. I tested poz in 2000 and I'm doing well on meds. Ask us anything. Anything! AIDSmeds is a site with so much helpful information and we're gonna help you find what you need. Be strong  8)

Offline Central79

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 12:00:46 pm »
Hey.

Welcome. I'm sorry you're here for the reason you are, but glad you found this site - it's an awesome resource. Or rather the people here are.

I'm 14 months in now, and it does get easier. It's different from everybody - I certainly took a long time to cry too. I guess if I was giving advice to me 14 months ago I would just tell myself that a) it gets easier, b) nothing changes all that fast and c) don't fuck anything important in your life up whilst you're dealing with this. Tell that to my credit card provider.

Hope you post more and let us know how you're getting on.

Matt.
Diagnosed January 2006
26/1/06 - 860 (22%), VL > 500,000
24/4/06 - 820 (24.6%), VL 158,000
13/7/06 - 840 (22%), VL 268,000
1/11/06 - 680 (21%), VL 93,100
29/1/07 - 1,020 (27.5%), VL 46,500
15/5/07 - 1,140 (22.8%), VL not done.
13/10/07 - 759 (23.2%), VL 170,000
6/11/07 - 630 (25%), VL 19,324
14/1/08 - 650 (21%), VL 16,192
15/4/08 - 590 (21%), VL 40, 832

Offline INeedBiggerGuns

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 05:07:20 am »
In order to make myself feel better, I sort of look at HIV like its the Epstein-Barr virus.

#1 It'll always be with me
#2 It sucked when I found out I first had it
#3 It sucked as much energy (as I let it) out of me.
#4 Its manageable.
#5 I got it from somebody.

(my opinion anyway)

I feel because of my scientific standpoint on life, there are a-lot of positive ways
and a-lot of negative ways to look at this situation.

My current feelings are:

- I feel upset that I now cannot have children through conventional methods of
intimacy without the danger of exposing my future wife, I mean, that's why
most heterosexual males are on this planet scientifically is to procreate, and if I can't
do that they way it was intended to, life seems more dynamic, yet more static.
In vitro fertilization doesn't make me think happy thoughts.

- All I ever wanted was to just be in a "OK" situation in life, and It just hurts my feelings
that there always has to be some obstacle in my way in order to achieve some moderate level
of peace.

- There is nothing I hate more than getting the common cold (retrovirus), or dealing with getting
a respiratory infection, and to know that one day, sooner or later, if its next year , or in twenty years
that will most likely be the thing that wipes me out.

- I have a small amount of hope that I can live with it for 10-15 years, for the next wave of medicine to come along, to hold it off for an even further amount of time.

- I'm quite upset at healthy facilities denying me Medicaid months ago because I was making too much money ($xx dollars) over the alloted maximum, they don't even factor in rent, I ran my body down working a bunch of hours at work, to try to meet their guidelines of getting covered under their policy, and I hurt my lower back and blew that. BUT NOW  >:( that I have been diagnosed with a potentially life threatening disease if left un-neglected, the state has ALL these opportunities available and open for someone to receive care, that makes me angry.

If I could ask anything of this community, I would ask that someone please be my friend, and help me through this.

The only people I have in my life for support is my grandmother (who raised me), my mom and dad are dead,
and my girlfriend. I don't count the AIDS counselor, because unlike the AIDS Council, HIV doesn't have business days.

I would like some people in my life who understand HIV, and who can help me get through the initial barriers.
I'm open for email contact / instant messenger contact (whatever).

Anyone who wants to help me, could you send me a PM with some contact information?

Love,
Me

Offline Esquare

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 12:57:31 am »
That's a lot to respond to but I'll take a piece of it. I'm in the same boat on the invitro thing, it sucks, but at least there is a way. Before I got this I would have thought that it was impossible to have a child if one partner had HIV.

I've only told my wife about my status, my parents wouldn't be able to handle it.

I would highly recommend reading through the lessons on this site and some of the books off the reading list. Education is key to this thing mentally. The more you read the more you can relate and it sounds like you are good at relating with the epstein bar thing.

As long as you have access to treatment you have a great shot at living a long and healthy life, just remember that. I've been working 50 hrs per week or more every week over the past 6 months since my diagnosis and I've been on meds the whole time. I'm hanging in there. You hang in there, its going to be ok.

PM me anytime or post here and I'll try and reply.
E

Offline INeedBiggerGuns

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 12:07:07 pm »
Dear POZ Community,

After heading down to the AIDS Council Center, after I was called by my counselor saying that "My test results were in, please come down so that we can go over them together". Sitting at the desk he said, "Your HIV Results for all CDC criteria came back negative, how do you feel about this."

I replied "Sir, I don't know really, I'm a little upset that I had to deal with these feelings, however unwarranted, perhaps I needed to feel them, in order to get further in touch with the rest of the world"

So I said "Here is a weird twist on this conversation, is this facility looking for volunteers?"

He happily said "YES", and told me to submit an application which I want to follow up on.

My experience since last Thursday, I was in full belief I had it, hence my post earlier, I was willing to do everything
within my power to help myself.

I apologize to the entire POZ community if I upset anyone. I believed 99.6% accurate was something to believe.

But perhaps this post can tell ALL who are nervous to go get tested, to get it done, and being positive, or negative,
IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD.

I love you all and hopefully my volunteered presence at the AIDS counsel will help others.

Love,
Dennis

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 03:58:38 pm »
I've moved your thread over to this section. You actually are still waiting for your western blot result.

A positive on the ELISA is always confirmed by 1) re-testing on the ELISA and 2) a western blot test. If you test positive on ELISA and negative on the western blot then you are considered to be HIV negative. The western blot result trumps ELISA.

Since you won't have your result before March 30th, your thread belongs here.

We'll hope you get a negative. The western blot is very sensitive and specific so I wouldn't give up hoping that you may yet test negative.

Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline INeedBiggerGuns

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 05:14:18 pm »
My second result was from a Western Blot

Offline INeedBiggerGuns

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 05:16:00 pm »
EDIT : I took the ELISA based "Oraquick" : and the preliminary result came back positive, on that same day,
I submitted to a second test, which would be processed by western blot technology.

The results just came back earlier than thursday 3-30 which was the anticipated date

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 05:18:27 pm »
And what was the result from the western blot? You haven't said.
Andy Velez

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 05:20:23 pm »
sorry to hear you tested poz. I tested poz 3 months ago and they have been the most difficult months of my life. I am now on medication because my numbers didn't look very good but have not had major side-effects with meds. You will do just fine, just promise yourself that you will not let this bring you down. Stay focus on the things you were normally doing and this is not the end for you. You have decades of life and it all depends on u how good these years will be. Don't fall into any drugs and alcohol and most importantly thank your close ones for being there for you in these harsh times. Stay in school and stay focus.

Al
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline INeedBiggerGuns

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 05:47:47 pm »
The Western blot test for bands

gp-160
gp-120
p-66
p-55
p-51
GP-41
p-31
p-24
p-17

All came back "not detected"

****          Interpretation (negative by CDC criteria)

Offline lostsnake

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 09:42:26 pm »
Wow congrats on your neg test...must be a relief.

Hey out of curiousity...What would cause a positive Elisa test and a negative Western Blot?  If the Western Blots results always over ride Elisa results, why even bother with it and not just go for the kill with the western blot?

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 09:46:15 pm »
INeed,

this is a roller coaster I wouldn't want to be in. I wish you good life and be sure to use condoms!

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline tommy420

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 09:50:58 pm »
Congratulations INeed!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 06:28:12 am »
Gun,

The information you posted in response to lostsnake's question was incorrect - in fact you would have found it on an hiv denialist site and we do NOT allow hiv denialist information on this website. I have removed the offending misinformation. In future, please leave the question answering to those of us who know what is and what isn't reliable information.

It is more likely that you had a test result that was not properly interpreted than a true false negative. The test center had no business telling you a "faint" line was a positive result. They should have repeated the test with another kit there and then, or they should have informed you that your result was inconclusive and done the blood test on that premise, not that you had a positive result. A "faint" line is NOT a positive result.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 06:32:18 am »
Snake,

As I told you in your own thread, we need you to keep all your additional thoughts or questions in your OWN thread only. Please do not post questions in other people's threads. Thanks.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.