Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:53:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 354
Total: 355

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: risk question  (Read 7810 times)

Offline hairhelp

risk question
« on: December 08, 2006, 08:07:18 pm »
I am a hairdresser by trade and the other day I was doing a persons hair who has excema.  I did not know it prior to starting.  I braided for a while and as a result received two cuts on my hand from the hair.  The persons scalp was bleeding a little in some spots and now I am concerned because I may have put myself at risk.  I was told by my local health department that I may need to be tested.  I was talking with one of my friends and she said this was a great sight to check with and that the health departments are usually conservative with risk.  I was just wondering how much risk am I at.  Does this type episode require testing.  Please help I cannot concentrate because of the worrying.

Offline RapidRod

Re: risk question
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2006, 08:37:27 pm »
No, you did not have a risk. No testing is required.

Offline hairhelp

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2006, 08:42:43 pm »
That eases my mind a great deal.  The lady at the health dept scared me to death about my risk.  Said it was high because of the cuts on my fingers and the fact the girls head was bleeding.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 09:25:06 pm »
Very unfortunately those at health departments and other vital information sources are often ill-informed for their positions.

You absolutely were not at risk, just as Rod has told you. Please read the lesson on Transmission on this site. You can find a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section.

Getting the basic information down will help to spare you unnecessary now and in the future as well as educating you about the real risks.

This time out you're good to go.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline hairhelp

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 08:35:12 am »
Thanks guys.  I just have one more question.  I know my hand was bleedin from the two cuts I received, and that the girls scalp wa bleeding.  Dose this not constitute blood conact, or does it have to be a greater amount.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 09:27:06 am »
This still remains in the "theoretical" rather than "actual" risk category. There would have to be significant amounts of blood pouring from a known HIV+ person into an open wound of the other person. See what I mean?

There have been countless thousands of nicks, cuts, bruises, wounds and other barber-related situations and there's never been a documented case of transmission in this manner. I don't expect you to make history by becoming the first. This is really about fears about HIV rather than a real risk.

I don't see any need for concern nor for testing.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline hairhelp

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 09:45:27 am »
Thank you.  I am going to attempt to get that phrase through my head and stop having the what if's. I guess its just fear.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 09:46:59 am »
It's weird that people worry about HIV from such a nothing incident (given HIV is very hard to transmit) but aren't concerned about Hepatitis - which is a much easier blood borne disease to catch. For the record you weren't at risk for Hep either, I am just curious why people worry about HIV so much...

Rich
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline almost

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 10:13:09 am »
It's weird that people worry about HIV from such a nothing incident (given HIV is very hard to transmit) but aren't concerned about Hepatitis - which is a much easier blood borne disease to catch. For the record you weren't at risk for Hep either, I am just curious why people worry about HIV so much...

Rich

Coz Getting hepatitis is nothing compared to getting HIV. Getting HIV will completely alter ones life (especially in the place that I live in, ie middle east)...It will end hopes of work, marriage,living in another country and many other things...Hepatitis will not do that

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 10:32:10 am »
Getting hepatitis is nothing compared to getting HIV.
If you haven't had hepatitis then I'm here to tell you, you don't don't know what you are talking about.

Offline hairhelp

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 04:39:42 pm »
I guess watching all the television shows were they make it seem that HIV can be caught so easily and the huge precautions that the CDC and health departments take can be blamed for a lot of the fears.  When I went there they scared me to death about how real my risk was and that testing was warranted and even that there are cases of transmission in this manner.  I belive this is what really reaked me out.  Not in the 10 years that I have been braiding hair did I even think this was possible but I guess I just freaked when I saw the ladys scalp bleeding a little and the cut on my hand.  Thanks for the comfort and the slap back into reality. :)   

Offline hairhelp

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 09:26:18 am »
How is it that a client at our shop contracted a fever blister from some clippers that was not properly sterilized, and used their lip was at risk for hiv but not from the episode I described from braiding the girls hair.  We had the health department all over us.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 09:31:30 am »
I have no idea where you are getting your information, but it is WRONG. She would not contracted HIV from an enviromental surface. HSV1 is common in over half the population.

Offline hairhelp

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 09:39:56 am »
The health department.  They made us responsible for the lpersons medical bills and PEP if they elected, which they opted out.  Told us that the person we previously used the clippers on had HSV and we spreaded it to the lclient putting them at risk also for hiv because his lip could have been pricket with clippers causung access to the exchange of body fluids. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 09:55:24 am »
HSV is not found in the hair on your head. HSV1 is found around the mouth, face, eyes and genital  area. Read the transmission section of this website before you continue to post again.

Offline hairhelp

« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2006, 10:17:25 am »
I never said HSV1 was found in hair.  What I said was that while one of our clients wyas being trimmed around the lips by the barber, they contracted HSV1 from the clippers.  Mybe I should have said trimmers. That is were they contracted the blister.  The health dept just told us that as a result of not properly sanitizing our equipment we put them at risk for the blister because a previous client had one.  They ere just saying this could have made her open to hiv also due to the chance of blood being exchanged. 

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2006, 10:20:37 am »
More than likely that is not the way they contracted HSV. Unless they had tested the week before there is no possible way of knowing.

Offline hairhelp

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2006, 10:29:01 am »
So the fact that that happened would not make them open for hiv from those clippers if they had been cleaned incorrectly and their may have been possible blood.  If that is the case, we shoulld have never been made to cover the medical cost and subjected to the scrutiny we experienced.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2006, 10:33:32 am »
No! Please read the transmission link in the welcome thread. You don't get HIV from environmental surfaces.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2006, 10:54:25 am »
Hair,

That's right, it sounds like the health department needs to learn a few facts about hiv transmission. They also need to learn a thing or two about herpes transmission and infection as well. There is no way on earth it could have been proven that this guy got herpes from your clippers. No way. 

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline hairhelp

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2006, 09:48:49 pm »
I am so scared, I  have just been diagnosed with oral thrush.  I have neever had this before.  I don't know what to do.  I tried to stay away from this site but this  diagnosis has scared me to death.   What if I did become infected.  Just  needed some encouragement.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2006, 09:54:39 pm »
Don't tell me, let me guess, you think you have HIV because you have thrush?

Offline hairhelp

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2006, 10:07:31 pm »
Actually, I dont know what to think.  Sorry if I am bothering you guys.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.