Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:45:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 217
Total: 218

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Generic Viramune Available in the US  (Read 12516 times)

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
Generic Viramune Available in the US
« on: June 15, 2012, 10:57:23 am »
Viramune (nevirapine) is now available in the US in generic form.  Looks like several manufacturers have jumped on board to produce it:

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ByAudience/ForPatientAdvocates/HIVandAIDSActivities/ucm305654.htm

I checked with my prescription drug provider, CVS Caremark, and indeed I can order nevirapine as a generic.  A 90 day supply of generic nevirapine costs me $24 copay, whereas a 90 day supply of Viramune costs me a $178 copay.

This will be a game changer.  Although Viramune is not the most widely prescribed HIV drug, patents on other more popular HIV drugs start to expire soon, most notably Sustiva.  For example, Gilead is going to be shitting bricks when their patents for Sustiva expires in 2013 (composition patent) and 2014 (method of use patent).

I wonder how long it will be before insurance / prescription drug plans start pushing generic as preferred alternatives, and make it more difficult to get brand name drugs. This concerns me, because we know that HIV drugs don't work the same for everyone.

Still, each new generic HIV drug provides greater access to treatment, particular here in the US.

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
Re: Generic Viramune Available in the US
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 11:40:49 am »
I've been counting down the days for this to happen.  My copay is going to go from $150 per month to $5.

This should be great for programs like ADAP too,  making the funds available go farther.

Also,  people in the US can put together a Viramune based  three drug cocktail of all generics costing hundreds (maybe less)  instead of thousands.

I know it's illegal to import drugs still under patent,  but is it illegal to import generics?

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline sshortguy1

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 12:01:40 pm »
even though generics may be out there but to me its going to be awhile , b/c theres alot of scams concerning hiv generic drugs

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 12:19:00 pm »
even though generics may be out there but to me its going to be awhile , b/c theres alot of scams concerning hiv generic drugs

Please provide links to generic HIV drug scams in America, otherwise it's just your opinion.

Joe

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 12:35:11 pm »
Will the companies attempt to do with HIV meds what they've done with other meds-- make new formulations, like extended release, and get their patent extended?  I am confused by the "scams" statement, too.  Not sure what that means.  I know some generics don't work as well (I've only experienced this with pain meds), but that's not a scam.  Would be interested in clarification.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 12:53:32 pm »
It's a double edge sword, generic drugs.

Take Atripla for example, it's the most prescribed HIV drug and costs about $2000 per month.  When it goes generic two things can happen.

1.  People will move to a "newer" drug like the quad pill.  Then they will still be on a non generic drug paying very high prices.

2. They will stay on generic Atripla paying pennies of what they were, but then what incentive do drug makers have to come up with better and newer HIV drugs if people will just stay on generic drugs because they are cheaper.  The HIV drug pipeline ceases.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline sshortguy1

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 01:29:21 pm »
you people got the internet as well as i do , why should i have to do your homework when u should be doing it yourself as far as i know adap isn't going to be changing my medicine to generic or anytime soon otherwise i would of been told

Buyer Beware! Internet Scams Targeting People with HIV

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 01:40:08 pm »

2. They will stay on generic Atripla paying pennies of what they were, but then what incentive do drug makers have to come up with better and newer HIV drugs if people will just stay on generic drugs because they are cheaper.  The HIV drug pipeline ceases.

What incentive do the drug companies have to invent newer better drugs if the patents never expire?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:42:02 pm by bmancanfly »
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline buginme2

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 01:42:23 pm »

/quote]

What incentive do the drug companies have to invent newer better drugs if the patents never expire?

Hmmmm, good point

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 01:44:21 pm »
you people got the internet as well as i do , why should i have to do your homework when u should be doing it yourself

Providing links to credible websites is not only helpful , it also can demonstrate that your not just mouthing off about something you know little about . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 02:07:01 pm »
you people got the internet as well as i do , why should i have to do your homework when u should be doing it yourself as far as i know adap isn't going to be changing my medicine to generic or anytime soon otherwise i would of been told

Buyer Beware! Internet Scams Targeting People with HIV

I asked for references, because you have a poor habit of posting comments, with no sources or substantiation of your claims.  It becomes tedious when you attempt to derail a post, by adding comments that are best, anecdotal to the topic at hand.

Also, if you feel that generic HIV medications scams are so prevalent in the US, you would have ample links to support your claims and would have the good sense to start a new thread to discuss that topic.  Your suggestion that we should do the work, to support your unfounded comments, is the sign of a lazy mind.  You want to state something as fact, then provide support.  Without it, it's just meaningless comments that add nothing to this thread.

Joe

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 02:12:48 pm »
As to the topic at hand, I've been on Viramune/Truvada going on 10 years now.  I tolerate it extremely well, my counts keep going in the right directions and my last CD4s were 640, which is an all time high for me.  The idea that many of these perfectly capable drugs, will now be accessible to millions of pozzies, is welcome news indeed.  The costs savings, especially to ADAP will be substantial.

This is indeed, wonderful news.

Joe

Offline Buckmark

• Henry's Home Page
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 02:23:31 pm »
Will the companies attempt to do with HIV meds what they've done with other meds-- make new formulations, like extended release, and get their patent extended?

Yes.  Viramune XR, an extended release formulation of Viramune, is already on the market.  The method of delivery gives the manufacturer a new patent.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."

Offline Buckmark

• Henry's Home Page
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 02:27:34 pm »
As to the topic at hand, I've been on Viramune/Truvada going on 10 years now.

I'm a Viramune / Truvada guy too!   8)

The idea that many of these perfectly capable drugs, will now be accessible to millions of pozzies, is welcome news indeed.  The costs savings, especially to ADAP will be substantial.

That's what is so encouraging -- generics will make treatment available to more people, and reduce costs to programs like ADAP.

Offline sshortguy1

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 04:06:05 pm »
kill if you have nothing but negative comments to say than u ought to keep that big mouth shut , they're maybe be better drugs out there but alot of people will agree stick to those that u know work

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 04:19:05 pm »
kill if you have nothing but negative comments to say than u ought to keep that big mouth shut , they're maybe be better drugs out there but alot of people will agree stick to those that u know work

Hey... wait a minute.  Why so defensive?  It appears that you are looking to pick a fight when there is absolutely no reason to.  You of all people should know that when you are living with a condition such as hiv, many people like to see valid, proven substantiation when people start spouting out information, otherwise, as Joe said: whatever the information being conveyed is no better than someone's opinion.

You really need to step back and quit thinking that people are out to get you because it is obvious you have some type of persecution complex.

How dare you think that people should do their own research over some trivial tidbit you dropped into this thread that has absolutely nothing to do with Henry's original topic.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 04:48:25 pm »

Asking for substantiation of your claims are not negative comments.  Just because I ask you to support your drive-by postings, does not make me anything, other than a LTS who has seen this movie many times.  Presenting something as fact, with no substance, causes confusion among readers and that's why I asked for sources to support your assertions.

What angers me about you, is that you know virtually nothing about HIV, other than what you can parrot from what others have told you.  You seem to think that dropping non-related posts in a thread is some sort of fun and if you get called on it, then you become the victim.  Your resorting to calling me names, just confirms your inability to articulate anything of substance and just like a bully, you attempt to cower me, by calling me names?

But what really pisses me off, is that Henry started a thread regarding excellent news on generic Viramune, that has the possibility of greatly expanding access to this drug and lowering the cost for ADAPs across the nation.  Your comment about sticking with drugs that work, also makes no sense, because this news will expand access to a drug that has served us very well.

Don't bother replying, I've had my say... with apologies to Henry.

Joe

edited to say what I really feel, PC be damned.   >:(
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 05:01:36 pm by killfoile »

Offline sshortguy1

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 05:20:18 pm »
kill i ought to plain out ignore u ,not worth my time

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 05:25:35 pm »
kill i ought to plain out ignore u ,not worth my time

Please do, I wish I could "ignore" you, but I can't because I'm committed to presenting the truth in the forums.  Not everyone knows how harmful comments like yours can be to readers.  If you don't like being called on your behaviour, then stop doing it.

Over and out.

Joe

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 05:37:57 pm »
I wonder if these generics may also be used in our commitments to other countries?  It would be nice if they could manufacture them in the US, providing much need jobs and increasing our buying power of the drugs, by lowering their costs.  Maybe someone will start a trend.

Joe

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 05:51:07 pm »
SSShort, we're getting complaints about your abrasive style. Please stick to saying what you want to say without the inflammatory rhetoric.

Thanks for your cooperation. Ditto cooperation requested from all concerned in any ongoing discussion here.

Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 08:53:27 pm »

I'm going one step further than Andy and saying maybe it's time you kept YOUR big mouth shut. You have absolutely NO respect for our members here who have been poz possibly longer than you've even been alive. Grow up.

Seven day time out.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline joemutt

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 10:36:17 pm »
Please provide links to generic HIV drug scams in America, otherwise it's just your opinion.

Joe

Thank you for that.  I have also been on Viramune and Truvada for years with excellent results.
I take generic Viramune since a few years (though not living in the US) and that goes very well, too.
So here's to cheap meds and good health for everybody!  :)

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 03:01:18 am »
I think the "scam" is the cost of generics in the US compared to generics in India.  I think the prices are still multiples higher.  Why?

Offline joemutt

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 07:19:05 am »
I think the "scam" is the cost of generics in the US compared to generics in India.  I think the prices are still multiples higher.  Why?

Not only generics. Truvada (the original brand, non-generic) is only 70 (seventy) USD here.

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 09:21:42 am »
Not only generics. Truvada (the original brand, non-generic) is only 70 (seventy) USD here.

If you don't mind me asking,  where is "here"?   Where are you?

Bertrand Russell

Offline joemutt

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 09:29:38 am »
Oops! Bangkok, Thailand.

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 11:15:59 pm »
June 15, CIPLA got FDA approval for epivir.  I thought they already had it for PEPFAR.  Maybe this means they will sell their generic drug in the US?  Could that mean more competition among generic HIV drugs sold in the US?

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/drugsatfda/index.cfm?fuseaction=Search.DrugDetails

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2012, 07:59:58 am »
June 15, CIPLA got FDA approval for epivir.  I thought they already had it for PEPFAR.  Maybe this means they will sell their generic drug in the US?  Could that mean more competition among generic HIV drugs sold in the US?

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cder/drugsatfda/index.cfm?fuseaction=Search.DrugDetails

I believe the way the law works is that the first generic to be approved gets 6 months to sell its product without competition from other generics.  (That gives the manufacturer an incentive to go through the hassle of getting the generic approved -- which often involves legal action by the original patent holder.)
Prices often drop only by a relatively small amount during that 6 month period.

After 6 months, more generics can get approval (easily).  Once there are multiple competing generics for a drug, prices often fall to 5% to 10% of what the brand name patented drug had previously been selling for.
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline northernguy

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2012, 01:01:40 am »
Yes.  Viramune XR, an extended release formulation of Viramune, is already on the market.  The method of delivery gives the manufacturer a new patent.

Given that I just started Viramune XR+Truvada, I checked the full cost (not co-pay) on the bottles for 30 days worth:

Viramune XR = $74.07 (!)
Truvada = $798.88
Total = 872.95

Atripla = $2,417.98

I sure hope this new combo works well, since I've just saved the provincial government $18,540.36 a year!
Apr 28/06 cd4 600 vl 10,600 cd% 25
Nov 8/09 cd4 510 vl 49,5000 cd% 16
Jan 16/10 cd4 660 vl 54,309 cd% 16
Feb 17/10 Started Atripla
Mar 7/10 cd4 710 vl 1,076 cd% 21
Apr 18/10 cd4 920 vl 268 cd% 28
Jun 19/10 cd4 450 vl 60 cd% 25
Aug 15/10 cd4 680 vl 205 cd% 27
Apr 3/11 cd4 780 vl <40 cd% 30
Jul 17/11 cd4 960 vl <40 cd%33
April 15/12 cd4 1,010 vl <40 cd% 39
April 20/12 Switched to Viramune + Truvada
Aug 2/12 cd4 1040, vl <40, cd% 38
Oct 19 cd4 1,110 vl <40 cd% 41

Offline ds4146

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 10:38:19 pm »
Thank you Buckmark for posting this. As of this month, today actually, I am now paying $5.00 a month for this part of my medications and that means a lot to me. I truly appreciate it, money is tight for everyone and when every penny counts this could mean much to many. Thank you again.  :)

Offline CoupleNYC

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2012, 02:50:26 pm »
I've been counting down the days for this to happen.  My copay is going to go from $150 per month to $5.

This should be great for programs like ADAP too,  making the funds available go farther.

Also,  people in the US can put together a Viramune based  three drug cocktail of all generics costing hundreds (maybe less)  instead of thousands.

I know it's illegal to import drugs still under patent,  but is it illegal to import generics?

How much co-pay would you have to pay on Atripla a 30day supply?

Aug 3 2012-Cd4-450, VL-43000
Our Meds
Norvir, Truvada, Reyataz, (3 pills, once a day)

Offline buginme2

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2012, 02:55:54 pm »

How much co-pay would you have to pay on Atripla a 30day supply?

It depends on your insurance policy.  Not all insurance policies are the same.  You really need to learn about your own policy and what it does and does not cover. 

For example. My copay for Atripla is $100 per month.  Someone else may pay full price, someone else may pay $10.  It all depends on the policy.  No one here can tell you what YOU will pay.  YOU need to learn about your policy and find these answers out.

Offline CoupleNYC

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2012, 10:57:04 pm »
It depends on your insurance policy.  Not all insurance policies are the same.  You really need to learn about your own policy and what it does and does not cover. 

For example. My copay for Atripla is $100 per month.  Someone else may pay full price, someone else may pay $10.  It all depends on the policy.  No one here can tell you what YOU will pay.  YOU need to learn about your policy and find these answers out.

Yes I know what you mean. It is not so easy in my case (as usual!!!) because my insurance has no perscription benefit.
I'm asking because my fiance just started a new job and she will be getting a insurance in 3 months.
I know its easy to just call the number on my card and ask...lol... but she doesn't have the card yet.
I dunno, its always just a little more complicated for me. I hope its not going to be like $400 a month per person because I will be pissed.....
Our Meds

Offline CoupleNYC

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2012, 11:04:41 pm »
Ps. She will have the perscription benefit on her plan and when we get married I could go on her plan. Maybe we could use the perscription discount card let's say $200 of Artipla or Complera a month. It could work
Our Meds

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2012, 01:15:57 pm »
Yes I know what you mean. It is not so easy in my case (as usual!!!) because my insurance has no perscription benefit.
I'm asking because my fiance just started a new job and she will be getting a insurance in 3 months.
I know its easy to just call the number on my card and ask...lol... but she doesn't have the card yet.
I dunno, its always just a little more complicated for me. I hope its not going to be like $400 a month per person because I will be pissed.....

Ps. She will have the perscription benefit on her plan and when we get married I could go on her plan. Maybe we could use the perscription discount card let's say $200 of Artipla or Complera a month. It could work

CoupleNYC: for future reference, please do not derail someone else's thread with irrelevant information.  You've already posted on numerous occasions asking about ADAP, Atripla and your specific situation and people have attempted to provide you information.

This thread was to inform people who might be taking Viramune that they now have a new, affordable option in the US; not to fire out questions about your drug coverage.  If you have additional questions, comments, etc. regarding yourself, you should try to keep them limited to threads which you originate -- especially since you are inquiring about an entirely different drug than the one in this thread.

We know you are new to the forums (and also anxious over insurance) but there are certain rules which need to be respected.

Thanks  ;)
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline CoupleNYC

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2012, 03:18:00 pm »
CoupleNYC: for future reference, please do not derail someone else's thread with irrelevant information.  You've already posted on numerous occasions asking about ADAP, Atripla and your specific situation and people have attempted to provide you information.

This thread was to inform people who might be taking Viramune that they now have a new, affordable option in the US; not to fire out questions about your drug coverage.  If you have additional questions, comments, etc. regarding yourself, you should try to keep them limited to threads which you originate -- especially since you are inquiring about an entirely different drug than the one in this thread.

We know you are new to the forums (and also anxious over insurance) but there are certain rules which need to be respected.

Thanks  ;)

Yes I agree with you. It wasn't my place to post questions about something else. Now that I look at it, I feel the same way. Sorry about that guys.
Our Meds

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.