Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 04:21:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772996
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 219
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 151
Total: 151

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: When do you start Meds?  (Read 7715 times)

Offline sftrek

When do you start Meds?
« on: July 01, 2006, 08:53:29 pm »
I have been sick for almost 2 weeks (flu symptoms, sore throat, rash, night sweats etc). My doctor tested me for HIV, and the test was negative.  I was out of town for the next 2 weeks traveling where I am originally from, and my doctor from there felt I was potentially sero-converting.  He ran the additional DNA test and discovered that I am right in the middle of converting (5 out of 10 antibodies converted).  My T-Cells are 717 and my viral load isn't back yet.

My doctor wants to put me on Truvada and Kaletra now as an aggressive therapy while I'm currently converting.  My other friends all of have said that their doctors hold on the start of meds as long as possible.

What are the pros and cons of this?  I don't want to start too quickly, especially when my T-Cells are high and then find out my body stops reacting the cocktail above.

I also need a recommendation of a good HIV doctor in San Francisco.

Please help me clarify this.

Offline J220

Re: When do you start Meds?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 01:58:44 pm »
There is an ongoing debate over the benefits of hitting the infection early on. The hypothesis is that by attacking the infection now you would salvage more of your immune system. The cons, of course is that you are starting therapy very early and the issue if resistance can arise sooner, in theory. I think there is a clinical trial taking place that is seeking to answer these questions, you might want to look it up at clinicaltrials.gov. Having said all this, personally, I would have decided to start therapy immediately. With all the options out there I would think that resistance issues could successfully be dealt with, especially when a new class of drug has recently been announced, that could be available in the next few years. Nevertheless, it is a tough decision.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2006, 02:25:11 pm by J220 »
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline sftrek

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 02:16:28 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  I am researching the clinical trials as well.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 04:04:58 pm »
Sorry I am lost by the 5 out of 10, did your doc do a p24 antigen test?
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline elena

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 07:38:54 pm »
I'm hiv+ since 1993-as I know...I started to go to doctors 1996.,then my cd4 was 770 and they didn't give me meds.One year later I had pneumonia and my cd4 was 352,then I started with meds.So,I'm on them almost 10 years,results of cd4 and pcr tests were ok(cd4 between 900 and 1000,pcr 0 ).Few times I made pause with meds-about 6 months.The less cd4 I had was about 210 but in this period I had problems with drugs :-\.Now I'm clean,on meds again-videx,stocrin(efavirenz)and epivir.Before them I took videx,viracept and zerit.I don't know why they changed my therapy even cd4 test result was ok ??? I feel ok but I didn't do cd4 and pcr tests almost 1 year-there is big problem with lab tests in my country...
Btw,sorry if my english isn't good,I don't use it often.But I hope you'll understand me  :-[
~ Homo sum:humani nihil a me alienum puto ~

Offline mmuscle

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 11:04:53 pm »
Mine is a very similar question.  I just tested positive last Tuesday and received my first set of results today.  My case manager (RN) recommends waiting on meds until I need them.  Another doctor suggested I start on Travada and Sustiva right away.

It appears most recommendations are to wait on the drugs, but there's limited evidence showing there may be some benefit if I start immediately after infection.  There's a UCSF study called Options testing this theory.

What are the arguments for not starting now?  Suggestions?

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 12:31:25 am »
The basic argument for not starting now has to do with the side effects.  The drugs are  toxic and can have some negative side effects like severe depression. Also HAART has only been in use for 10 years so there are no long term studies on the long-term effects. 

If you GO HERE , you'll find from the archived files a discussion we had on this just this past spring.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 12:34:31 am by Robert »

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 09:34:52 am »
The argument in favour of meds straight away is an unproven but plausible theory that early treatment preserves the body's ability to deal with the virus.  However, there is no study yet published which says, strongly,  yes or no in answer to this question. 

Furthermore, while Sustiva/Truvada is a very popular and effective option, it is not the only option. There are good reasons to go with a modern PI based combo rather than an NNRTI like Sustiva), including (A) the absence of mental head-screwing side-effects which affect many (but not all) people on Sustiva (B) the mysterious immunological properties of PIs (boost your CD4 often then seem too) (C) risk of side effects on NNRTIs looking like being higher if your CD4 count is higher (Viramune is the main culprit here but it is also true to a lesser extent of Sustiva) (D) easier to stop a PI combo than an NNRTI without the risk of resistance, thus preserving this class of drug for the future (there is a good and bad way to stop).  Short version: if you do decide to do treatment now, which is a fair either way call, look at the options for a combo and choose one that fits your life rather than the doc's preference.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.