Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:15:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 204
Total: 204

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The "Controller" Phenomenon  (Read 6062 times)

Offline bear60

The "Controller" Phenomenon
« on: September 26, 2008, 10:46:28 am »
This is not a new topic here but there are always new people around who might be interested in knowing about this study:

http://www.hivcontrollers.org/healthprofessionals

To date many factors have been associated with HIV control, but none of them have been able to fully explain this phenomenon. Probably the strongest evidence that supports a role for host genetics is the over-representation of the HLA B*57 allele and to a lesser extent the B*27 allele among HIV controllers, compared with individuals with progressive infection; still these alleles are absent in more than half of HIV controllers. How the presence of these HLA types is related to viral control is not yet understood. Other host genetic factors associated with viral control, including the CCR5 co-receptor polymorphisms have been described in this population.

Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline bimazek

Re: The "Controller" Phenomenon
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 01:24:37 am »
check my posts on gene ZNRD-1  discovered by Harvard spring summer of 2008 i think this gene was discovered to be involved with elite controllers by Harvard and Emory univ

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 08:59:21 pm »
Hi Bear,

I've been away for a while, but came in to post a thread about an interesting new Pilot Study launched by the NIH called "Cell Transfer" between elite controllers and progressors of HIV infection.

The interesting synergy between your thread (oriented specifically to the findings of the HIV Controller Study at Harvard) and mine is the fact that B*5701 plays an integral part in the eligibility criteria between both the donor and the recipient involved in the Pilot Study.

As you know, I tested positive for both the B*5701 and B*27 gene in 2004, and have since learned that 85% of elite controllers test positive for the B*5701. Current findings show that the B27 gene is prevalent in our group, too, although I have yet to read about a percentage.

Thanks for continuing to post information about the studies on these forums.  I sure do hope you are doing well!

My best,
Zephyr
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 04:30:29 pm »
Thanks for posting this it's reminded me I need to sort out sending off a second sample it had completely slipped my mind!  I've e-mailed my hospital and the study today so hopefully I can sort this out soon.  Nice to see you again Zephyr as well!
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline zephyr

• Zephyr L.T.N.P. Foundation, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 11:40:58 pm »
bear - I made a mistake when I mentioned testing positive for the HLA B*27 gene....I checked my NIH file, and refreshed my memory on alleles.  I carry HLA B*5701, B*13 and HLA A*02 and 30.

manchesteruk - how are you doing? It's nice to 'see' you, too! Thanks, honey.

Be well,
Zephyr
"It is character that communicates most eloquently."

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2008, 05:07:44 pm »
I'm doing really well thanks, keeping very with work etc though I need a holiday I think!  Seems you've been keeping very involved with the controllers study. Has there been any interesting results from the research so far?
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline Funkengruven

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 02:39:58 pm »
I just wanted to say thank you again for mentioning this study.  I called the number when I saw this posted, and I just found out I was accepted in.  It's nice to know that I can do something to help my community, and it doesn't involve much time or effort.  I encourage anyone who think they may qualify to give the researchers a phone call or email.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.