Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:00:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773225
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 641
Total: 641

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: HIV-RNA test  (Read 20251 times)

Offline quadoikinhhoang

HIV-RNA test
« on: April 30, 2008, 02:23:04 pm »
Dear Sirs
I am a member of HIV forum in Vietnam
Now we have the problem need to be clear
Could you help me to answer this question?
If the lab used the Standard Machine to test HIV-RNA (lowest level is 250 copies/ml), how many days after exposure this machine can detect the infected people?
Thanks and best regard,

Offline RapidRod

Re: HIV-RNA test
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 09:31:37 pm »
HIV-RNA is a supplemental test. It's not a stand alone test and must be followed up with an antibody test. To get a conclusive negative result you need to test at 3 months.

Offline quadoikinhhoang

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 10:04:23 pm »
Thanks RapidRod,
I agree with your suggestion
But someone cann't wait up to 3 months to take an antibody test
Should I ask them to wait at least how many days after exposure to take HIV-RNA test?
Notice that the lowest level of equipment is 250 copies/ml in Vietnam to detect the virus
Thanks and best regard

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 05:47:43 am »
quad,

They are just going to have to wait for the end of the window period like anyone else. There is no reason to use RNA testing unless they were the receptive partner in unprotected intercourse where the insertive partner is KNOWN to be hiv positive. I suspect this is not the case.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline quadoikinhhoang

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 08:43:49 am »
Dear Ann
The main problem is how long do they take a RNA-HIV test after exposure?
We regularly ask them test again after 3 months. We always state that the conclusive result must be antibody test after 3 months
RNA-HIV test is a suggestion for who was very worry.
Best regard

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 08:50:47 am »
quad,

The RNA test will normally show results around a week after infection has taken place.

HOWEVER, as I said before, unless this worried person has been the receptive partner with a person who is definitely KNOWN to be hiv positive, an RNA test is not considered best practice. A positive result on an RNA test still MUST be confirmed with the standard antibody test.

May I ask what has this person so worried? Have they actually had a risk? We see people here all the time who want to have PCR tests done when they haven't had a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline quadoikinhhoang

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2008, 10:12:42 am »
Dear Ann
Thank you very much about your answer
What do you mean about the RNA-HIV result around a week?
This mean the person who want to take RNA-HIV test have to wait at least a week before taking a RNA-HIV test.
Please explain to me clear
I tell you about the risk: he had unprotected sex with CSW 3 days ago
Best regard

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2008, 10:51:25 am »
This mean the person who want to take RNA-HIV test have to wait at least a week before taking a RNA-HIV test.

Quad,

Yes, the person should wait at least a week before having the RNA test.

I tell you about the risk: he had unprotected sex with CSW 3 days ago

This is not a situation where the RNA test should be used.

Hiv is a fragile, difficult virus to transmit and more so from a woman to a man. One incident of unprotected vaginal intercourse is unlikely to result in the insertive partner becoming infected. It is considered fairly low risk for the insertive partner.

However, low risk is not NO risk and he does need to test, but not with RNA. He only needs to test with the standard antibody test. The earliest he should test is at six weeks. The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive on the antibody test by six weeks. A six week negative must be confirmed at three months, but is unlikely to change

I would fully expect this person to test negative following one incident of unprotected intercourse - but he does need to test. He also needs to be tested for the other sexually transmitted infections as ALL of them are MUCH more easily transmitted than hiv.

He needs to start using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, every time, no exceptions. Please read through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can tell him how to use condoms correctly.

Ann
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 10:54:03 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline quadoikinhhoang

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2008, 08:16:25 pm »
Dear Ann
Thanks again
I am very confuse about RNA-HIV test now
Because I read the time for RNA-HIV test is 48-72 hours after infection on this website
http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/HIVtests_4717.shtml

So what should I give to my friend to wait before taking RNA-HIV test? 72 hours or a week?
Please help me as soon as possible
Best regard
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 08:18:32 pm by quadoikinhhoang »

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 03:58:59 am »
quad,

Your friend should not take an RNA test at all. He doesn't need it. He should wait six weeks and take a standard antibody test and repeat the test at the three month point when he receives his negative result.

The earliest the RNA can detect hiv is 48 - 72 hours. If hiv is present, it will likely be picked up by a week.

I will repeat, your friend DOES NOT need to take an RNA test. They are very expensive and using one for this relatively low risk is not warranted. Whether his result is negative or positive, it will still need to be confirmed with antibody testing. RNA testing in this situation is a waste of time, money and resources.

It is highly unlikely, even if the sex worker is hiv positive, that your friend would have become infected from a one-time insertive event.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline quadoikinhhoang

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 04:10:55 am »
Dear Ann,
thanks for your reply,
I try to persuade him to wait at least 6 weeks to take antibody test, but he is really worry now (after exposure 4 days).
I want to know how is the time the person to wait to take RNA test for most cases (everyone usually did that)
I mean how long does he wait to take RNA test with the most reliable result for his case (unprotected sex)?
Best regard,   

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 04:17:39 am »
I mean how long does he wait to take RNA test with the most reliable result for his case

quad,

I've already told you - a week.

I hope you can persuade your friend to not use the RNA test. It's totally unnecessary.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline quadoikinhhoang

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 04:21:39 am »
Dear Ann,
Thanks for your help
Best wish to you

Offline quadoikinhhoang

Could I catch HIV in this way?
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 06:47:25 am »
I am sorry for being so troublesome again, here is my scenario that makes me worry!

I meet my old friend! we had protected sex, after I ejaculated and she used the toilet paper to wipe her vagina, then she passed that paper to me to wipe my penis. There was some vaginal fluid or even menstrual blood left in that paper(from her vagina). Could I catch HIV in that way? HIV died before it got contact to my penis?.Right?

I am sorry for bothering you again, the Forum.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 07:10:42 am »
No, you cannot contract HIV in the manner that you presented.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 08:31:15 am »
HIV is a fragile virus. As Rod has told you, it is absolutely not passed in the manner you have most recently written about. You do not have to worry any further about it.

Just make sure you are always using a condom when you have either vaginal or anal intercourse.

Andy Velez

Offline quadoikinhhoang

Could I catch HIV in this way?
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 09:20:17 pm »
Dear all,

I am a bit worried because I hid the detail that the incident was happened during my trip to Geylang( the sex-industry street in SIngapore), and the "old friend" was a sex-worker. I was so shameful that I just told that I met my old friend.

I was afraid that her period was not over because when she passed the toilet paper to me, I saw some black or red stain in the paper. And she did not allow me to finger her.

You said that I was not at risk. Thanks you! Could you confirm that HIV can not live once it is exposed to the air? You mean that the paper would absorbed the water( from the fluid) then HIV was killed. Or the air would kill off HIV b4 it could enter the lining of the urethra inside my penis? I am wondering because the fluid or blood was very fresh. It was just some seconds outside her body.

Thanks again, I will never in this situation again! It is miserable enough and I cannot concentrate on my work at all.

« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 09:41:37 pm by quadoikinhhoang »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 10:04:33 pm »
Even with those additional details you still weren't at risk. So you were with a sex worker. Big deal! Take a breath and let it go.

Still no risk. Except for guilt and shame. Do yourself a big favor, see it, accept what happened and get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline quadoikinhhoang

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 10:15:28 pm »
Thank you, ANDY.

Many incidents come from drinking. Under the influence of alcohol, I can not control my self.

May be I will give up drinking or limit the bad habit after the incident mentioned here. Drinking and Sex and STDs, they are the axis of evils.

Thanks Andy again,

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2008, 05:37:09 pm »
You're welcome. And if you need professional or supportive help with stopping your excessive drinking then get it.

Good luck to you.
Andy Velez

Offline quadoikinhhoang

HIV infection and Rabies!
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2008, 04:17:02 am »
Hello the Team,

Does Rabies vaccine effect the seroconvert of HIV? I asked this because I was bitten by a stranger dog and I had to take 05 shots of Verorab vaccine( the vaccine made to create the antibody against Rabies). Then one week after the accident, I was stuck by the syringe on the grass.

These months seemed to be very unlucky to me!

If I was infected, does the Rabies vaccine make the seroconvert longer? Does the symptoms of acute period of HIV occur as usual?

Many respect from me,

Quadoikinhhoang,

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2008, 04:33:45 am »
Rabies vaccine? Good lord. You were not at risk in the first place.

Nevertheless, for the benefit of others who might be reading this thread, rabies vaccination does not affect the HIV window period nor change the requirements around testing.

Quad, I'm referring this thread to the Moderators for review.

MtD

Offline quadoikinhhoang

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2008, 04:45:58 am »
Hi Matty,

I have been searching the forum for the scenario similar to me! No such case. The 1st accident was that I was playing football(soccer) and I kicked the syringe. It made my leg a little blooding.

I went to see the doctor right away, the doctor told me that I needed to take the vaccine against Tetanus(sorry for the misspelling). But the syringe was fresh so I ignored that vaccine. But one week passing by I was involved in the accident( bitten by a dog).

So complicated!

Thanks Matty,

What is the second opinion?

Offline quadoikinhhoang

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2008, 06:13:55 am »
Hi all,

I want to add the additional info, when I kicked and stuck by the syringe, I picked it and saw, there was no visible blood in it! But the syringe was fresh. But I think that the syringe was used for IV drug injection. Was HIV in the syringe killed off by the water? Assuming that blood in the syringe was dissolved by the water.

I am waiting for the answer,

Quadoi!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2008, 06:15:02 am »
Quad,

You haven't had a risk.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.