Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:24:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 381
Total: 381

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Called CDC. Testing still 97% accurate at 3 months?  (Read 7930 times)

Offline Dubby

Called CDC. Testing still 97% accurate at 3 months?
« on: October 09, 2006, 02:40:02 pm »
The only possible exposure I've had to any std was over 3.5 months before I got an ARS-like illness. I attempted penile-vaginal but I didn't fit so I gave up after a few seconds and got a handjob. I can confidently say it was over 3.5 months, and closer to 4 months later when I got sick. I had no swelling of lymph nodes but had many other symptoms: classic flu symptoms, diarrhea, sweats, sore throat and rash on chest. Acute symptoms lasted  3 days, and recooped 2 days after that

I got tested 3 weeks after I recovered and ELISA was positive in non-reactive range (so it was below the cutoff for being positive, though it was slightly reactive) followed by non-reactive Western Blot. The tech said  it was a conclusive test but he didn't recommend anything else, and I was so relieved/shocked I forgot to ask.

Should I get tested for any other STDs? I'm 19, I've only had one sexual encounter in my life, not counting kissing. I never noticed ulcers (either transient or long lasting), bladder infections or discharge.  What do they test for when they test for "everything"? I'm not sure what I need, if any. Any non-STD things I should test for?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: ARS-like illness over 3 months after sexual encounter
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 05:07:20 pm »
Dubby, generally speaking if you have unprotected intercourse the CDC recommends getting tested at 13 weeks after the most recent such incident. Given what you have described -- the brevity of that single incident -- I'd say it's totally up to you about re-testing or not. If you decide to re-test I certainly expect you will test negative again.

If you haven't already read it please read the lesson on Transmission to which you can find a link in the Welcome Thread at the top of this section. It covers all of the basics you need to know.

As far as other STDs are concerned, we recommend that anyone who's sexually active have a full STD panel done at least annually and more frequently if there are any troublesome symptoms.

It would be extremely unusual to be having ARS this long after a sexual incident. THe average time to seroconversion is 22 days. All but the smallest number of those who are going to seroconvert will do so within 4-6 weeks after an exposure to the HIV virus. So given what you have described I don't in anyway see this as an HIV situation. Also, for future reference keep in mind that neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. Only an HIV test taken at the proper time will give you that answer reliably.

If you are having symptoms you are concerned about at this point, I would suggest you discuss them with your doctor. I don't see them as being related to ARS or anything about HIV. Really.

Becoming sexually active is both an exciting and often an anxiety provoking time while you are on the journey of learning -- one that really likely will continue all of your life. As long as you follow some basics for safer sex, and most specifically using condoms everytime you have intercourse, you should be fine as far as HIV is concerned.

Let me know if I haven't covered everything you wanted to know.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: October 09, 2006, 05:10:04 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Dubby

What causes ARS? The virus itself or...?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 11:06:15 am »
So what causes ARS? Is it (A.) directly caused by the virus, or (B.) as a result of a portion one's "defenses" being beaten up/depleted, or (C.) as an active response by the body when trying to fight the virus? Or is it a combination of factors?

Any theories why some people don't get symptoms, whereas some people may be hospitalized? Would how intense the symptoms are affect time of seroconversion?

Offline RapidRod

Re: What causes ARS? The virus itself or...?
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 11:14:49 am »
It occurs as the body's immune system kicks into action to fight an HIV infection.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 11:25:03 am »
Dubby,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

The illness that some, but not all, people experience is the body's reaction to creating antibodies. Certain chemicals are released - this is why the illness is usually very general and flu-like - if it happens in a noticable way at all.

There are far too many variables in each person's situation to have any hard and fast theories as to why some people get very ill while others notice nothing. The ONLY reliable way to know your hiv status is through testing at the appropriate time. Symptoms or even the lack of symptoms are meaningless.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dubby

Reactive in NR Reference Range?
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006, 02:35:24 am »
What does "Antibody detected, Reference range=NR" mean, Non Reactive or Non Reportable?
What's the difference between NR. Weakly Reactive, R, and RR?
Would NR mean it isn't reactive enough to accurately show up on the scale?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006, 07:58:27 am »
Dub,

NR = non reactive = NEGATIVE.

You are hiv negative and that's all you really need to know. It's hardly surprising as you didn't have a risk in the first place.

Use condoms when you actually do have intercourse, and you will avoid hiv infection.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dubby

Called CDC. Testing still 97% accurate at 3 months?
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 09:40:21 pm »
The telephone rep from the National CDC Hotline said average is 25 days, 97% accurate at 3 months, and 6 months tops. But something I read from the hivtest.org (which is sponsored and maintained by CDC) on the FAQS page said "In rare cases, it can take 6-12 months."

I've heard negative at 3 months is conclusive, but 97% hardly seems conclusive. Are there more accurate numbers?
What about the 6-12 month thing, I've never heard of that, especially from CDC.

Offline RapidRod

Re: Called CDC. Testing still 97% accurate at 3 months?
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2006, 02:56:51 am »
The rare 3% all ready know when they test that there may be a need for further testing past the 3 months. IV drug users, people on chemo, people on antirejection meds for transplants and people with compromised immune systems.

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2006, 03:28:03 am »
That's interesting as I was aware that the information on rapid testing in their website outlines 3 months as conclusive. The again I don't visit the CDC site given the general inconsistencies of their information.There's more to the CDC than HIV information and the same generalities apply throughout.
Nuff said

Edited for Rods comments below.
That's interesting as in, I'm not surprised, given their generalistiic approach to everything else on their site. And yes, I agree with everything you wrote.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 03:56:23 am by 411 »

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 03:41:01 am »
411, it is very, very rare for someone to test out further than the 3 months, with the testing we have today.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 04:54:36 am »
Dubby,

This is the second time I've had to merge your threads. Please read our forum posting guidelines in the Welcome Thread - and get with the program.

The only possible exposure I've had to any std was over 3.5 months before I got an ARS-like illness. I attempted penile-vaginal but I didn't fit so I gave up after a few seconds and got a handjob.

You didn't have a risk and you are conclusively hiv negative. You don't have hiv. Even if you DID have a risk, you'd still be conclusively hiv negative. You don't have hiv!

If you are having physical problems that worry you, go see your doctor. Whatever is causing them has nothing to do with hiv as you are hiv negative, period, end of story.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Dubby

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2007, 08:43:55 am »
I tested again 7 months after the first test, and it was negative, using blood this time instead of saliva. I don't need any more testing do I? I talked to a couple people who said "yeah, took me 7 tests til it showed an accurate result, you might seroconvert tomorrow" and  that i should get a viral load test to be sure and another antibody test to be safe. Is a third test even necessary or is the negative test 7 months after the false pos enough to put it behind me and be confortable being in a sexual relationship with a steady girl friend and if I ever get married, have unprotected sex?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2007, 08:48:33 am by Dubby »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.