Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:10:05 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773201
  • Total Topics: 66337
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 491
Total: 492

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Atripla and a drug test?  (Read 7064 times)

Offline buginme2

Atripla and a drug test?
« on: September 17, 2011, 01:27:35 am »
What's the deal with drug tests and Atripla.  I was thinking about applying for a job and in the job description they talked abou how they do a pre-employment drug test.  I know Atripla can cause you to test positive for marijuana.

I haven't decided on applying yet, just curious if anyone has had to take a drug test while on Atripla.  Do you just tell the test takers about your medication so they can account for that?
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
Re: Atripla and a drug test?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 02:23:09 am »
Yep ---- actually my doctor did a letter that stated I was on a medication that may cause a false positive for thc (Atripla) --- she wasn't even aware that it did this, I had to tell her and she looked it up and said "oh, you're right..."  She didn't even put the name of the med - just that I was under her care and that a med I was on could cause this problem --- so they would know to use a more sensitive type of test or test method - she also included her contact info in case they needed to reach her.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 06:16:30 am »
For people reading this who may be on a slightly different combo to Atripla, it's the Sustiva (aka Stocrin or efavirenz) component of Atripla that can trigger false positive drug test results. :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline GusInJune

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 07:59:53 pm »
I'm interested in knowing more about this if anyone knows or has any experiance. I'm on probation (for a false DWI, stupid), I smoke quite a bit, it helps tremendously with a lot of my health symptoms, I use a variation of this this method to fool the drug test and I'm convinced it works. http://boards.cannabis.com/drug-testing/1147-dilution-tips-tricks-guidelines.html

I am worried about a couple of things:
1.) Will doing this dilution method (even just once a month) disrupt my HAART regimen?
2.) Should I be prepared to fail drug tests? as in should I count on it? as in my PO will be looking for me to fail?
3.) How exactly does Atripla cause you to fail?
4.) Does the MANUFACTURER say anything about this? I would imagine random claims from the internet will not subdue my PO.

I think my safest bet is to continue my current method, and inform my PO of the false positive, should she try send it to a lab for a more comprehensive UA it will come back negative, instead of positive, its probably only "dipstick" tests that you fail for, rather than "lab" tests.
10/19/09 - Diagnosed +
6/28/11-Hospitalized 16 days Neurosyphillis, thrush CD4-70 8% VL >500k + Certfraxione, Bactrim DS
8/23/11 - Started Atripla
9/14/11 - CD4 340 18% VL 2980
9/27/11 - Eye surgery

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 09:13:00 am »
Gus, I can't see that dilution method interfering with your hiv meds, provided your "variation" does not include not taking your Atripla.

But you need to be aware that the more specific tests they use (when a person has had a disclaimer for prescription meds that may cause a false positive) are very likely to pick up your pot use regardless, seeing as how you say you smoke a lot.

If you live in a state where medicinal cannabis has been legalised, I suggest you talk to your doctor about getting a script so you're covered. If you live in a state without legalised cannabis, then you're on your own, unfortunately.

How long are you on probation for? You say you were convicted of a false DWI - can you prove it and fight to have it squashed? If you can't, you just might have to stop smoking pot for the duration of your probation.

You REALLY do not want to end up in prison while hiv positive - many prison systems are absolutely terrible about making sure hiv positive prisoners are getting their meds regularly and on time. Many prisons are also terrible about making sure a positive prisoner is having regular labs done.

You're going to have to weigh up which is more important to you - staying out of prison and being able to effectively take care of your health, or going to prison and being at the mercy of the prison authorities and the screws. Your choice.

And please don't think I'm being anti-pot, I'm not. I'm just being realistic and for the record, I'm absolutely pro-legalisation of pot.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline GusInJune

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 02:20:38 pm »
But you need to be aware that the more specific tests they use (when a person has had a disclaimer for prescription meds that may cause a false positive) are very likely to pick up your pot use regardless, seeing as how you say you smoke a lot.
I've decided it might just be wise to say NOTHING about the false positive and try to pass as usual, and use that as a back up if anything goes wrong. Should they decide to send it to the lab I should pass anyways if I use the method correctly (its meant to fool the authentication process as well, specific gravity and creatinine for human specimen verification, coupled with B12 for color, and good ole dilution, it really works).

If you live in a state where medicinal cannabis has been legalised, I suggest you talk to your doctor about getting a script so you're covered. If you live in a state without legalised cannabis, then you're on your own, unfortunately.
I unfortunately live in Texas. Not a very good state to be a medicinal user, HIV positive, or on probation. We have some tough laws, and some very, very retarded politicians.

How long are you on probation for? You say you were convicted of a false DWI - can you prove it and fight to have it squashed? If you can't, you just might have to stop smoking pot for the duration of your probation.

Tried and failed. I tried to take it to trial. I was under 21 at the time and had 2 beers in the hours leading up the wreck (with a city light pole). I had detectable amounts of alcohol in my system, and most states (including TX) have a zero tolerance policy for minors, meaning if they detect any alcohol in your system, its an automatic DWI. I however was NOT legally drunk at all, I got into that wreck because of my failing eyesight! I tried to gather the medical documents, and get it changed to a "wreckless driving" charge or something not alcohol related, but they weren't having that. I was drunk with an alcohol concentration of .03. Stupid. I have about 8 months left. Quitting smoking seems like the right thing to do, but in my case it's so medically necessary. It lowers my eye pressure (as I said before I have eye problems), it helps with my arthritis pain, sleep and appetite. My family and friends all support my decision to smoke, I just wish my PO did!

You REALLY do not want to end up in prison while hiv positive - many prison systems are absolutely terrible about making sure hiv positive prisoners are getting their meds regularly and on time. Many prisons are also terrible about making sure a positive prisoner is having regular labs done.

You're going to have to weigh up which is more important to you - staying out of prison and being able to effectively take care of your health, or going to prison and being at the mercy of the prison authorities and the screws. Your choice.

And please don't think I'm being anti-pot, I'm not. I'm just being realistic and for the record, I'm absolutely pro-legalisation of pot.

I told my PO in the beginning that going to jail and compromising my health was my main concern with being on probation. She said I can "push" a lot before actually going to jail, not that I plan on it, but I can fail several drug tests before I am hauled off (once again don't plan on it, I'm good at fooling the UA) and as long as I don't pick up another drug/alcohol related case or another case of greater weight, I should stay out of jail. Most state and county jails in Texas are 3x their maximum capacity, they are trying to get folks out and keep them out as much as possible. I'm playing with fire, I know, but I am confident in my abilities. I'm still wondering how or why exactly Atripla causes you to fail.

And of course I wouldn't think you were anti-pot, studies have shown for years medicinal 420 can be highly beneficial to HIV/AIDS patients. We were the first to actually buy cannabis legally in California for medicinal use, because at the time (and now) many of us were having retinal problems (which I have), issues with chronic pain (which I have), and appetite issues due to HAART regimens, etc. Those of us who choose to smoke totally should be able to. But that's another thread somewhere I suppose.
10/19/09 - Diagnosed +
6/28/11-Hospitalized 16 days Neurosyphillis, thrush CD4-70 8% VL >500k + Certfraxione, Bactrim DS
8/23/11 - Started Atripla
9/14/11 - CD4 340 18% VL 2980
9/27/11 - Eye surgery

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.