Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:40:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 268
Total: 268

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Am I at risk?  (Read 12721 times)

Offline Remix

Am I at risk?
« on: March 30, 2011, 01:37:31 pm »
Hey everyone!

Like everyone else in this forum, I too am worried of having been exposed to HIV. However, my story is somewhat different.

To make a long story short, I picked up a hooker this past Friday night (I don't know why, but I did). I told her I only wanted oral sex so she handed me the condom and I put it on carefully. After about 8 minutes she stood up and said she wanted to have anal sex, but I didn't feel like it so she sat back down in the seat. She then grabbed a pen that was laying around and I don't quite remember what she did with it.

So, after she grabbed it she continued giving me oral sex with the condom on. Then as I was about to climax I asked if I could squirt on her and she agreed so I did, but as I was shifting through the car seat I accidentally stabbed my foot with the same pen.

There was about a 1-2 minute gap between the time she played with the pen and the time it accidentally punctured my skin. Can I be at risk of contracted HIV? I have read through other threads in which Ann states there is no risk with oral sex because saliva has proteins and enzymes that break HIV and also that HIV can't survive outside it's host. What I don't know is how fast the virus dies in the open? Am I at risk? Should I go get tested?

Thanks ahead, any input will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Remix

Re: Am I at risk?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 01:42:44 pm »
I guess I should rephrase my question. If she were to have stabbed herself with the pen (i dont remember if she did or didnt im just speculating) and then I accidentally punctured my skin with it 1-2 minutes later. What can be the likelihood of me having contracted HIV considering she is +??

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 01:52:34 pm »
Zero.. HIV is not transmitted in that manner. Had it been you two were shooting up drugs and sharing works then you would have had a concern .

Offline Remix

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 03:22:42 pm »
Thanks for the quick response.

I know this isn't an STD forum, but would you know if that also applys to Hep C?

Offline Remix

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 03:29:49 pm »
So If my risk is zero then I should have no reason to test myself for HIV other than for peace of mind correct?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 03:37:04 pm »
Correct. There was absolutely no risk for HIV transmission in this incident. If you choose to get tested for your peace of mnid you can certainly expect an negative test result. Testing is not necessary but that's up to you.
Andy Velez

Offline Remix

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 07:51:58 pm »
Andy (or anyone else moderating the boards), how common is it for people who are in the desperate/worried phase to actually feel the initial symptoms of HIV without having a concrete test result?

My head is beggining to play games with me and I will seek some counseling soon. I just wanted to get an understanding from someone like you guys who oftenly handle cases like mine and the rest of the board.

I hope I don't get flamed for this (I'm not directly posting what I'm feeling) I just want to know.

Offline Remix

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2011, 07:56:16 pm »
Andy, I will definitely get tested. However, I try not to worry and let my thoughts take control, but it is absolutely impossible. I also understand that life continues no matter what, but in the mean time for all of us who are anxiously awaitting the 3 month grace period it is certainly painful to carry on with each days activities without having to be thinking about the possible exposure at hand.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2011, 10:33:44 pm »
Doubts, feelings and the presence or the absence of symptoms will never tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. Only an HIV test can give you a reliable answer if you have had a real risk, which I hasten to say you have not.

If you decide to get tested then you need to make a real effort during the waiting period to focus on other matters in your life. Don't bother saying you're too worried to do that because I can tell you that response is not going to fly in here.

So get tested if you must and collect the inevtiable negative result.
Andy Velez

Offline Remix

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2011, 11:16:25 pm »
Thanks Andy.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2011, 08:00:40 am »
You're welcome.
Andy Velez

Offline Remix

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 12:01:37 am »
Hey guys I wanted to know if I could be in danger of having Hep C ?

Offline Remix

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 12:02:40 am »
Hey guys I wanted to know if I could be in danger of having Hep C ?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 08:37:21 am »
Our focus here is strictly on HIV, but I will say that no, I don't see any cause for concern about Hep C in the incident you are reporting.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 01:01:45 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline Remix

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 11:35:16 am »
Is your last post in regards to HIV or hep C?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 01:02:04 pm »
Yes, sorry. I corrected that posting. 
Andy Velez

Offline Remix

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2011, 06:21:00 pm »
Hey guys I had another question. If I want to test for STDs should I wait for the 13 week period so I can test for HIV as well? Or can I go anytime sooner, if so what time frame would you guys consider? Also if  I'm testing for Hep C can I do it at 13 weeks with the HIV test?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2011, 06:22:45 pm »
Yes, you can do the whole panel at the same time. 13 weeks is a good time.
Andy Velez

Offline Remix

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 11:47:06 pm »
Hey Andy I had one final question that's been troubling me. Earlier in a post you mentioned I was at 0 risk for HIV and that I had no real concern for Hep C is this considering there might have been blood on the pen? I have read that Hep C is passed on through needles but would I be able to get it if the pen had blood?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2011, 03:46:24 am »
Remix,

There is NO WAY you were at risk for hiv, hep C, or any other STD from that pen. The only thing you might get from the pen is an ordinary bacterial infection that you could get in any wound.

Give it up. You have not been at risk for anything sexually from the pen.

You were not at risk for hiv or hep C from the blowjob either.

If you read the Welcome Thread before posting like you're supposed to, you will have read the following posting guideline:

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Please consider yourself warned!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Remix

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 08:25:16 am »
I have considered myself warned. Sorry Ann.

I was speaking to a friend and was telling him my situation then I found out he had been shooting heroin into his arm and I warned him about the risk of HIV transmission. If he has only shared needles once (according to him) what is his risk percentage wise? (this is of coarse the person that used it before was HIV +) also, do people get infected the first time around or do risks increase?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 08:49:08 am »
I have considered myself warned. Sorry Ann.

I was speaking to a friend and was telling him my situation then I found out he had been shooting heroin into his arm and I warned him about the risk of HIV transmission. If he has only shared needles once (according to him) what is his risk percentage wise? (this is of coarse the person that used it before was HIV +) also, do people get infected the first time around or do risks increase?

Sharing needles is a high risk activity. We do not get into quantifying in terms of percentages. High risk means just that.

And yes, both via sharing needles or through unprotected intercourse, infection can occur the first time. Obviously when someone persists in high risk behavior the likelihood of transmission occuring increases.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 08:57:28 am »
Remix,

Every single time you have unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse or share drug injecting equipment, you are putting yourself at risk for hiv infection. Sharing drug injecting equipment also puts you at a very high risk for hep C infection. There is no way of putting a percentage on these things.

A person may become infected from one single exposure, or they may dodge the bullet for many times. I was with a hiv negative man for a year and a half before I was diagnosed with hiv. We never used condoms, but he remained hiv negative. However, after my diagnosis we started using condoms. Just because he dodged the bullet for eighteen months did not mean he would continue to be lucky. We split up after eight years (nothing to do with hiv) and he remained hiv negative during that entire time. If we hadn't started using condoms, that may not have been the case.

Your friend needs to be tested for both hiv and hep C because of that one time needle sharing. As long as it happened three months or more ago, his results will be conclusive.

And you need to understand that sharing drug injecting equipment is VERY different to being scratched by something someone else has been scratched by. When needles are shared, infected blood is being directly injected into the blood stream. This is not true of being scratched or poked by an object such as a pen. You were not at risk, but your friend was.

Please urge your friend to get tested for both hiv and hep C. If he tells you he doesn't have any symptoms and doesn't think he needs to test, tell him that especially in the case of hep C, many people never have ANY symptoms until they suddenly become very ill - sometimes years and years down the line. GET HIM TO TEST!

Ann
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:59:23 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Remix

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 09:05:32 am »
I sure will Ann - I had another question is the window 3 months also?

Offline Remix

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 09:08:10 am »
Ann, I appreciate the time you take to answer questions so delicately as well as sharing your personal information.

Offline Remix

« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 08:34:35 am »
So far since last week I've tried to maintain my composure. You've guys reassured me several times that I have 0 risk for HIV, however, this morning when I woke up my left armpit felt pain. So I touched it and I think my lymphnode is swollen. I'm just self diagnosing at this moment which isn't good at all because I'm jumping to conclusions and the precense of or lack of precense of symptoms will not yield what you guys consider an ultimate negative conclusive test result. Also, i know HIV isnt the only thing that causes swollen lymphnodes, but the thing is that i have never had them.'So I'll be headed to the doctor later on today. For the mean time, however, will lymphnodes swell if I keep pressing on them? And, if they do swell do all of them swell? Or only one?

Offline Remix

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 08:42:00 am »
Please disregard my message. I forgot you guys don't discuss symptoms and I don't want to lose my privileges.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 09:21:03 am »
Good idea to see your doctor.

As you have been told repeatedly, this is not an HIV situation. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 09:42:20 am »
I sure will Ann - I had another question is the window 3 months also?

Yes.

As far as your lymph nodes go, feeling them, pressing on them, or otherwise poking and prodding at them certainly will make them swell and become sore. Leave them alone.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Remix

« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 04:43:48 pm »
Turns out that by the time I arrived at the doctors office it was no longer swollen which is good in a sense it might have been from all the pressing I was doing.

I was also given a HIV test because I hadn't had one in over a year and the Oraquick result tested negative as it should have which helped relieve my tensions because I was at the point that I was fabricating potential ways by which I could have been infected. One other thing that helped relieve me and calm down was that the nurse that helped me out said I could walk in and get tested whenever I felt tense just so I could put my mind at ease.

Lastly, I booked an appointment with a therapist to help me get through this because I really need to calm down and completely realize I was at no particular risk and to help me control these ideas.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 05:15:56 pm »
That negative result is no surprise here. But it is always good to get a negative result.
Andy Velez

Offline Remix

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2011, 08:20:29 pm »
Hey guys I had another question. Earlier this morning I was in the crapper and I was looking at my legs then I noticed a big reddish lump on my thigh. I then popped it and a puss like substance came out. I immediately freaked out because all along I thought that the hooker had stabbed me with something or at least that was my suspicion after you guys ruled out the fact of transmission through the pen. so I immediately left my house and went to the hookers house to talk to her. After several times that I asked her she finally admitted that she had in fact used a small needle to puncture my skin. Now I'm completely lost and breaking down. All along my intuition was right i don't know what to do. Am I infected ??

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2011, 08:27:10 pm »
Go see a doctor about your physical problems.

This is still not an HIV situation even if she used a small needle to stick you. That is not the same as an intravenous needle.

Andy Velez

Offline Remix

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2011, 08:37:49 pm »
Andy, Whats the difference between a needle and intravenous needle?

Offline Remix

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2011, 08:41:16 pm »
You mean to say that even if the needle had her blood in it and it punctured my skin I'm still not at risk?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2011, 09:30:05 pm »
Andy is talking about the difference between the small needles used to prick your finger for a blood test and the hollow-bore needles used to draw blood from a vein.

MtD

Offline Remix

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2011, 09:48:52 pm »
Oh well I was referring to the hollow needles because that's what she used am I at risk? I'm really worried I feel like crying.

Offline Remix

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 09:54:37 pm »
Is there a chance I can pull negative through this? I will press charges on her but this situation really has me on my toes.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 09:57:07 pm »
Is there a chance I can pull negative through this? I will press charges on her but this situation really has me on my toes.

Do whatever you want. You're beyond our help.

You have been told endlessly that this is not an HIV situation so of course you will test negative.

In any event you're long overdue for a time out. I'll be referring your latest comments to the Moderators for review.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 10:24:38 pm »
Fella, this is all totally unnecessary drama. Get yourself tested and collect the inevitable negative result.

If you continue to come here with more what ifs and stories, you are quickly going to find yourself getting a Time Out.

This is your last warning.
Andy Velez

Offline Remix

« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2011, 10:56:02 pm »
Andy, I apologize I don't mean to be a burden to you or any of the other moderators.

All I ask is for a direct answer to the question that I posted earlier. Andy might have answered it by saying I can get tested and receive my undeniable negative result but I'm not sure if that was the direct response. I just wanted to know even if she stabbed me with a hollow needle that had her blood in the leg I should still receive a negative result correct?

I plead that you provide me with an answer. I can assure you that after this you WILL NOT hear any more what if stories.

Thank you guys - and once again I apologize for being a burden to you guys "/ I'm just worried and confused and you guys provide us with lots of relief even though most of us abuse the forum rules.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #41 on: April 06, 2011, 11:00:15 pm »
Andy, I apologize I don't mean to be a burden to you or any of the other moderators.

All I ask is for a direct answer to the question that I posted earlier. Andy might have answered it by saying I can get tested and receive my undeniable negative result but I'm not sure if that was the direct response. I just wanted to know even if she stabbed me with a hollow needle that had her blood in the leg I should still receive a negative result correct?

I plead that you provide me with an answer. I can assure you that after this you WILL NOT hear any more what if stories.

Thank you guys - and once again I apologize for being a burden to you guys "/ I'm just worried and confused and you guys provide us with lots of relief even though most of us abuse the forum rules.

Do not attempt to dictate terms to us.

We decide how questions should be answered, not you. We have considered your claims and rendered our advice.

Deal with it or be banned. It's that simple.

MtD

Offline Remix

« Reply #42 on: April 06, 2011, 11:09:40 pm »
MtD, I did not try to dictate to you or any of the other moderators. I was just trying to link Andys response to my question about the hollow needle. Sorry.

Offline David Evans

• Standard
« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2011, 11:22:16 pm »
Remix,

This is moderator number 3 chiming in. Matt, Andy and Ann were kind of enough to take your question seriously and they answered you definitively. You had no risk. You're question has been answered. Move on. If you continue to post you'll be banned.

David

Offline Remix

« Reply #44 on: April 06, 2011, 11:39:08 pm »
David, Ann, Matty, and Andy

I'd like to apologize to all of you. I will not post until June 26, 2011 when I test myself at the end of the window period and post my results. I trust all of you when you guys say I had no risk. For the mean time I will continue to meet with my therapist and figure out alternative methods to deal with my severe HIV fear that I have been obsessing over because I'm headed down a troubling path with it. I'm even considering taking meds but that hasn't been decided yet.

Once again sorry guys and gals.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2011, 07:39:21 am »
Remix,

You went to this woman's house and repeatedly badgered her until she gave you the answer you wanted to hear. I very much doubt she stabbed you with anything - she probably just wanted you to get out of her face. And she was probably quite pleased to freak you out in retaliation for your harassment.

What you have on your leg is probably an abscess or boil. Those are bacterial infections, not viral. Anyone can get one of those at any time. Go get it seen to by a doctor.

You've been told repeatedly you did NOT have a risk for hiv infection.

I'm giving you that time out you've been repeatedly warned about. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 07:41:37 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.