Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:16:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772963
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 274
Total: 275

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My new pet.  (Read 4191 times)

Offline wolfter

My new pet.
« on: August 20, 2013, 08:05:27 am »
I named her Lily is honor of my beloved Miss Lily.  This poor thing was out in the road and I was afraid she'd get hit.  I told everyone I was going to go get her to which they laughed.

I managed to coax her towards me then I spent a little while convincing her I wouldn't hurt her.  After a while she allowed me to love on her and then followed me to the shelter house where everyone else was able to play with her.  We had a blast with her and she was out there first thing this morning.

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline mitch777

Re: My new pet.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 08:15:06 am »
Is that a deer?
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 08:19:16 am »
Is that a deer?

Yes.  I just adore her already.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 08:22:04 am »
Wow! Is she injured or sick? Very odd that a deer would take to a human. hmm...
Are you feeding her?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 08:24:33 am »
Wow! Is she injured or sick? Very odd that a deer would take to a human. hmm...
Are you feeding her?

I imagine she's orphaned.  She doesn't appear injured or sick and we all were able to feed her.  I've always been able to interact with wild animals.  A short while back, I took care of some orphaned opossums.  I was able to pet them and feed them until they were old enough to go out into the wild.

Offline mitch777

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 08:30:23 am »
I imagine she's orphaned.  She doesn't appear injured or sick and we all were able to feed her.  I've always been able to interact with wild animals.  A short while back, I took care of some orphaned opossums.  I was able to pet them and feed them until they were old enough to go out into the wild.
What are you feeding her? She doesn't look all that young. (not old but certainly past the baby stage)
I'm amazed.

PS- Funny a deer would be pals with a Wolfie! ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 08:35:23 am by mitch777 »

Offline wolfter

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 08:35:00 am »
We're surrounded by corn fields so were able to schuck some for her.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 08:40:05 am »
Very cool!

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 06:30:28 pm »
She's a fawn that recently lost her spots looks like.  I wouldn't get too attached Wolfie, once she goes into estrus she will probably run off.  They are beautiful creatures though.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 06:34:42 pm »
She is beautiful, but as long as she is able to come and go when she needs to that's fine, I don't think it's wise for any to try and domesticate her, though she obviously enjoys the company of people, and she loves her Wolfie.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 06:41:06 pm »
I guess she picked you Wolf . I wonder if you could get her to a sanctuary since she has become fond of humans . I don't know about there but where I live deers that like people do not fare well for reasons I don't care to discuss . I worry for her .

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by Debbie Downer wha whah waaaah  . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Habersham

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 07:10:48 pm »
Some kids I went to high school with had a pet deer. They found it in the snow when it was younger than this one. It was on a working farm and the full grown deer hung out in a paddock near the house.  During hunting season they kept it in the barn.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:12:56 pm by Habersham »
Because I Can

Offline mitch777

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 07:29:26 pm »
Wolfie,
are you sure it's a she?
could turn out to be a buck buddy.  :) :-[

Offline wolfter

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 05:26:49 am »
I absolutely worry about her too as I really don't want her to become too comfortable with people.  It'd be horrid to see her approach the hunters instead of running. 

Deer sanctuaries in Ohio?  lol  They're already considered a nuisance as I believe we're #3 in the country with deer/automobile accidents.  Behind PA and WVA only.  She was at the post yesterday morning and as much as I enjoy her, I might have to frighten her off for her own protection.

My original goal was accomplished; getting her off the roadway.  We're on a winding rural road and we always see the carcasses of dead deer all over the place. 

Offline weasel

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 10:23:09 am »

What a great looking dog   :-X

That was nice you saved her , My twin brother saved a tiny deer last week , He actually picked it up and brought it over to his Mother !  He was trapped in my sister's fence , not really trapped but in the corner not knowing how to get out , But could see his Mother  :)
 Eric said they drank out of the Bird bathe then mossied away .

I LOVE to watch our deer in our woods , Sad that we live close to a highway .
    I do know our deers like us , But they are afraid of other humans , This is a good thing , We do not interact only watch from the porch  ;)

Weasel

P.s.  In a Connecticut home with heavy drapes , have not seen anything
 out of the window ..... I did see a Bat one night coming in ....

" Live and let Live "

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 10:39:54 am »
The deer population in the states a tripled or more since the 70 's . Its become such a problem in some areas that some insurance company's require deer collision clauses that you have to pay extra for .

A couple of years two deer jumped over the fence into my yard and for some reason couldn't jump back over . It was early morning and I had my bath robe on and nothing else , so with a cigarette in my mouth and cup of coffee in hand I headed to the back gate to let them free . I got about half way there and saw out the corner of my eye that Bambi and friend was on their hind legs hopping towards me with front legs slashing in the air . 

I screamed the high pitched scream of a man about to die and threw my coffee cup at one of them and began running around the yard shrieking at the top of my lungs . they finally found a way out but not before the neighbors on both sides of me got an eye full of my nakedness because by that time my robe was only hanging from one shoulder .

I had no idea deer would attack but I damn well know it now .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.