Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 06:12:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 322
Total: 322

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: hello everybody  (Read 15213 times)

Offline notreally

hello everybody
« on: December 12, 2014, 01:52:35 pm »
So guys, I have to say that I was tested positive like 2 weeks ago, at first I couldn't sleep for few days and was in such a shock for me and definitely the worst times I've ever faced just because I never had unprotected sex and I probably got it from oral sex.  :-\

I also got good blood results in general and in in CD4 around 550 and the doctor told me to start treatment when it lowers to 350 and told me to come back to clinic in around 4-5 months, so I am not sure how long does it usually take for the number of CD4 to lower in general?
And can somebody just tell me their impressions on HIV medicine in general and is it true that Hiv becomes Aids in 12 years (I've read that fact several times)?

I also feel kinda lonely because i don't have somebody to talk about it in general because I am not ready to tell my family and close friends because I don't want them to feel sorry for me, and that would probably bring them down too much.

I would also like to thank everybody in this forum for their stories because it really affected me in a positive way to see that I'm not alone and that this is just different way of living and that having hiv is not a death sentence but just an infection. However its still stuck in my mind that I'm HIV positive and hopefully it will be better as time passes. My mood changes are also bad because of it but I'm trying to stay positive. I had so much questions in my mind but talking to social worker in clinic really helped me.

I'm a smoker and I know I should stop but I will do that as time passes for sure (I usually smoke like 5-10 cigs per day) and do you guys think that alcohol reflects bad on infection (like a glass of wine eventually).
I've also heard that marijuana has good indications with the treatment.
Also, are there any recommendation for life in general, what to change/ how to eat/are there any big no-no's etc.?

In general I would just like to meet somebody to talk to and to stay positive in my mind.
Thank you all once again for your shared stories here, it really helped me getting out from a dark place!
(and sorry for my bad-ish English, I'm European and English is not my mother language)

Offline lifejourney

• Well travelled Australian 43yo
Re: hello everybody
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 04:19:22 pm »
Hi there,

Sorry that you received your positive diagnosis but I'm happy that you've found us here.  Like you I've found comfort in the stories and reassurances of others people here.

I only got mine diagnosis a week or so ago, on December 3rd, so there are people here with a lot more knowledge than me. My latest numbers a couple of days ago where CD4 940, VL 1.7M (down from 3.6M the week before).

From what I've read, there's a difference of opinion on when to start med's.  I'm in New York and here they are very keen to get you meds as quickly as possible.  A very US mentality probably.  I was told that it's good for my long term CD4 numbers to get to undetectable quickly.  I've been listening to a really good English pod cast "The HIV Podcast" and the host was put on meds a couple of months ago when his CD4 went below 400 and after three months his CD4 was an incredible 1920.  So I don't know what's best.  I haven't felt any side affects from the meds I've been given and my health insurance is paying for it.  I would be interested to hear other peoples opinion on this.

As I said I'm new to this and don't want to say the wrong thing but if I was in your shoes, I would get a second opinion on when to start medications, but that's me.  What is your viral load?

I've disclosed my new HIV status with a few of my inner circle of friends and they have been very supportive.  This is no surprise, I wouldn't have told them unless I was absolutely sure they would be. Many people here don't advise disclosing your status until you're ready and that's probably good advice.  For me, being able to talk about my diagnosis with a select few people has helped me enormously.

I've been a heavy smoker in my life and quite many times.  I read a book called "Easy Way to Quite Smoking", while I was still smoking a pack a day.  It really was the easiest way to quite smoking.  I've never desired one since putting down the book and deciding I didn't need them.  Having said that, if I was smoking, I wouldn't think of adding that to my list of anxieties.  Personally, I would get through the first couple of months of adjusting to all this.

Just remember you're gong to be fine and this is manageable.

10.14   Infected
11.14   VL 3.6M
12.14   VL 1.6M  CD4 948 26%  Started: Truvada 200, Norvir 100, Prezista 500
12.14   VL 5.8K  CD4 922  44%  Switched to: Stibild
01.15   VL 146  CD4 1026  42%
01.15   VL 38
02.15   VL 144
02.15   VL <20 Detected
03.15   VL <20 Detected  CD4 1040  41%
07.15   VL <20 Detected  CD4 1209  45%
10.15   VL <20 Detected  CD4 ?  42%

Offline notreally

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 05:28:05 pm »
hi lifejourney, thanks for the reply and thoughts on everything, I really appreciate it!

I'm also sorry for the bad news there, your numbers seems quite good and I really hope it'll stay like that!

Yeah, I figured that there are few different views on when to start with the medication, but basically I think that here in Europe doctors mostly think that its better to start the treatment as late as possible because they think that "why starting with a treatment when you don't need it yet", but that can also be a bad thing because you never know about the CD4 numbers and when will they start lowering, so I'm a bit concerned about it and will probably ask for second opinion in the clinic.

I will definitely look up for the book and order it, cause smoking is a bad bad habit.
Thanks again for your thoughts and sending lots of support from here.

Offline scooter24

• Still here!
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 05:30:38 pm »
I received my tests on 12/2 and this is new for me as well. I think the key to finding people to tell are the ones you trust and that will make the situation about supporting you in whatever you may need. I haven't told my family because they always be in some sort of turmoil and I think that I would be more stressed my telling them. I've had some crappy responses from people and some who still seemed to want to talk about themselves. I think it's important for you to do whatever feels right for you.
12/4/13 Tested HIV -
12/2/14 Dx'ed HIV +
12/4/14 CD4 295 29% VL 1356 No resistances
12/19/14 Started Stribild
1/7/15 CD4 338 35% VL UD
2/17/15 CD4 329 35% VL UD
5/15 CD4 444 36% VL UD
7/15 Switched to Triumeq
9/15 CD4 526 40% VL <40
12/15 CD4 534 39% VL <40

Offline notreally

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 05:42:36 pm »
hi scooter, I agree; however the society here is pretty close-minded and that's the worst thing, but it's all about the right timing I think.
If somebody told me news like that I'd be really supportive but it's hard to tell for the other people - you never know. I plan on telling to tell my family but also not that soon.
I'm also sad to hear about the bad responses and sending best wishes :)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2014, 05:57:30 pm »
Depends where you are in Europe when doctors recommend to start treatment.. The response you got about waiting for 350 could easily be the national policy of your country's health service. This is probably a result of the budget available and the budget people consulting with the medical experts. 

There is nothing especially wrong with that number, but also know that many other countries no longer follow that guideline. There are many European cities in fact where the medical experts have managed to get the ok to treat at diagnosis. Treating at diagnosis means no matter what the numbers are. Even new infections. The French do a lot of work with treating at diagnosis. And they research as well treating during the acute phase if someone is identified so early/quickly. There is a lot of promising research on how that particular scenario - treatment in acute hiv, can be beneficial.

Lots of doctors in Geneva will recommend treatment soon after diagnosis.

There are arguments for treating ASAP and arguments for waiting. Treating ASAP has lots of benefits for HIV+ people but others are not proven.

An argument for treating ASAP is also not related to the HIV+.  Treatment is a form of prevention of HIV spreading.

If there is a way for you to circumvent a national policy to wait until 350, i personally would recommend you go for it. This is assuming your country supplies decent molecules, the newish ones.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 06:01:03 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2014, 06:27:27 pm »

ojo      Hi notreally...welcome, I guess you are starting with a good attitude which is important...its good you look for a second opinion about when to start treatment...there are a lot of members here that can help you with all your questions,...I just celebrated my 20th anniversary since my dx, I'm not celebrating having getting HIV, I'm celebrating a second chance in life....so you and the other newly members who replied, YOU ALL ARE GOING TO BE FINE, just take your meds and keep enjoing life....welcome again, wishing you the best...hugs      ojo

PS English my second languave too, I hpo you understan...comprende?

Offline notreally

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 07:46:43 pm »
dear mecch, there are no regulations and the doctor told me if i want i can start treatment right away (which is kinda weird making that decision on my own being a newly diagnosed and not knowing much about it) but by their experience, they told me that it's best to start with CD4 around 350. I will definitely talk to them about it next time and do some research and thanks for a kind response :)

Tonny2, I'm so happy for you, and i have to congratulate you for 20 years and many many maaany more to come :) people like you really show the importance of online support and I really want to thank you for that! all the best to you too! (and your english is perfect) :)

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 08:28:25 pm »
Hi and welcome Notreally, lol ;D, that sounds funny.. Sorry that you got hiv but you will do fine once your on meds.. Hope you quit smoking soon cause its probably more likely that the cigarettes will kill you than hiv.. I quit when I was in the hospital with AIDS and PCP, and I don't miss them at all now.. As far as it taking 12 years to get AIDS, that is different from person to person but I think its a pretty good estimate for some.. Wishing you good health and happiness, good luck ;)

Offline mecch

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2014, 08:48:45 pm »
As far as it taking 12 years to get AIDS, that is different from person to person but I think its a pretty good estimate for some..

IMO this is a meaningless estimate in 2014 and based on what and where and when?
Most medical systems are not going to let a diagnosed HIV+ person get anywhere near aids, as long as the diagnosed person stays in the medical system.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2014, 09:00:28 pm »
IMO this is a meaningless estimate in 2014 and based on what and where and when?
Most medical systems are not going to let a diagnosed HIV+ person get anywhere near aids, as long as the diagnosed person stays in the medical system.
Thats about how long it took me to get AIDS!... and I did say it differs from person to person mecch.. I had health insurance through all the years I was POZ, I had health issues that my Dr. couldn't figure out and yet I had AIDS and wasn't dx till I got to the ER with PCP.. This is the health system here in the USA, wheather you believe it or not.

Offline mecch

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2014, 09:11:14 pm »
Thats about how long it took me to get AIDS!... and I did say it differs from person to person mecch.. I had health insurance through all the years I was POZ, I had health issues that my Dr. couldn't figure out and yet I had AIDS and wasn't dx till I got to the ER with PCP.. This is the health system here in the USA, wheather you believe it or not.

We can take that to a different thread to discuss perhaps.

But how do you know it took you 12 years if you weren't diagnosed and tested for HIV any of those 12 years?
Also what has your story got to do with a supposed failing of the American health system - you were being negligent to not get regular HIV testing and/or your doctor's bad judgement.

Its 2014 and I think there may be no valid research these days on how long it takes populations these years to progress to aids because as soon as the person is diagnosed nobody is going to wait until aids to treat.

Undiagnosed people living with HIV and then diagnosed with aids, a lot of the back tracking is guesswork as to how long. Not a reliable figure to talk about these things any more.

The only population that could be reliably dated these years are diagnosed people who are lost to followup until they get aids.

Newly diagnosed people are consulting all sorts of dated material they are running across -- and they shouldn't be making decisions and feeling relief and or anxiety, based on dated population studies and outcomes that don't have any relevancy to them now that they in fact know they are HIV+ and the fact it is soon 2015.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 09:13:33 pm by mecch »

Offline mecch

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2014, 09:17:37 pm »
A newly diagosed person isn't going to make a wise decision if he says, oh my cd4s are this or that and I have statistically 6 years or 10 years or 12 years to AIDS.
In fact, a diagnosed person has maybe 4 months to the next test, and then 4 months again.  And an untreated person is going to have testing 2x a year I would say, until there is acceleration and then perhaps even more frequent. What on earth does this time frame to aids have to say to diagnosed HIV+ people in the medical system?

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2014, 09:35:57 pm »
dear mecch, there are no regulations and the doctor told me if i want i can start treatment right away (which is kinda weird making that decision on my own being a newly diagnosed and not knowing much about it) but by their experience, they told me that it's best to start with CD4 around 350. I will definitely talk to them about it next time and do some research and thanks for a kind response :)

Tonny2, I'm so happy for you, and i have to congratulate you for 20 years and many many maaany more to come :) people like you really show the importance of online support and I really want to thank you for that! all the best to you too! (and your english is perfect) :)

ojo....thanks, notreally for your kind words, I really appreciate it.....about you feeling alone, now, no more, I'm here for you, and I'm sure a lot of other members will support you...wishing you the best, and if I can help you in any way, just PM if you wish so...more hugs      ojo

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 10:26:37 pm »

But how do you know it took you 12 years if you weren't diagnosed and tested for HIV any of those years?
Also what has your story got to do with a supposed failing of the American health system - you were being negligent to not get regular HIV testing and/or your doctor's bad judgement.
Because I know... and thanks for pointing my negligence out to me,just what I needed to hear.. I really appreciate your support
We can take that to a different thread to discuss perhaps.
Yeah, lets do that.

Offline lifejourney

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2014, 10:07:34 am »
Hey Notreally,

How's my new buddy going? 

I was thinking of you this morning and the differences in medical advice we've been given.  Specifically the risks and benefits of starting meds now.  Have you had any further thoughts on that?  Have you been researching it?

Have you done a resistance or genotype test?  This is the test to identify the strain of HIV.  I get my results on Wednesday and I'm a little nervous.  It would be nice if I haven't been given a drug resistant strain.  In the US, this test is recommended even if you aren't starting ART.

So this is just a personal point of view here;  I think that taking meds now and getting regular, complete screenings is helping me mentally take control and feel more optimistic.  The argument of drug toxicity and adherence is valid but from what I'm reading, more and more research is pointing the long term net benefit of maintaining an UD VL.

BTW, I'm in my early 40s, Australian and live in New York City.

Hope things are going well, drop us a line when you can.

LJ

10.14   Infected
11.14   VL 3.6M
01.15   VL 38
02.15   VL 144
02.15   VL <20 Detected

Offline notreally

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 10:27:03 am »
Hey LJ! It's really nice to hear from you :)
I still do have some mood swings - it goes from me thinking 'everything will be okay - to - will it really?' I think it would help to talk to somebody POZ in person just to clarify things and expectations. How are you doing?

I really don't know about meds, its like such a different approach on taking a meds right away and not taking them until CD4 lowers, and I really dont know which one should i choose, because I'll have to start some day.

I haven't really heard of those tests but I assume that doctors will probably inform me about it, I'm still waiting for my lab tests and they will probably be done in a week.
Did u had any early side-effects from the meds?
And we should also keep in touch :) if you want to ofc :) hugs to you!

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 12:21:35 pm »
Hey LJ! It's really nice to hear from you :)
I still do have some mood swings - it goes from me thinking 'everything will be okay - to - will it really?' I think it would help to talk to somebody POZ in person just to clarify things and expectations. How are you doing?

I really don't know about meds, its like such a different approach on taking a meds right away and not taking them until CD4 lowers, and I really dont know which one should i choose, because I'll have to start some day.

I haven't really heard of those tests but I assume that doctors will probably inform me about it, I'm still waiting for my lab tests and they will probably be done in a week.
Did u had any early side-effects from the meds?
And we should also keep in touch :) if you want to ofc :) hugs to you!

ojo     Hello notreally....if I were you, I'd make a list of all your questions and ask the doctor...and, if I were you (if possible) I 'd start treatment, don't worry about the side effects of the meds, the new meds have little to non side effects, sometimes some people read about the side effects of some medications and even before thy take them, they are feeling the side effects already...these meds are not like the ones I used to take, I took some pretty toxic meds, I'm still suffering side effects from them, but I'm still alive...so please, consider with your doctor, start treatment right away, think about if you had a cavity in your tooth, you want to treat it before you might need endodontics, comprende...ah, please, stop smoking....about taking meds, tou might be taking just one pill a day right know, in the old days, I was takinf 20 or more, some with food, other without food, it was pretty difficult for me to schedule taking my meds and work, I hope you can make up your mind with the advice of your doctor and decide to start treatment, before the "invsders" (hiv) knock down more of your "soldiers" (cd4), comprende?...hugs       ojo

PS Look for a support group if you want a big hug in person, but cyberhugs feel good too

Offline lifejourney

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2014, 12:38:42 pm »
Hey NR,

You WILL be okay.  I agree, finding a buddy to talk in person is good, especially emotionally.   

I'm going well; those moments when I feel the floor disappear and I my stomach sinks are less frequent.  Also I'm finally emerging from a month long, pretty awful seroconversion.  If I wasn't hung over from a christmas party last night I bet I would be feeling amazing.   :P

I've been spending too much time researching and reading about HIV.   Sometimes I want a break but I can't pull myself away from it.  I feel very fortunate that my doctor is so involved in HIV research and treatment.  We have done a lot of tests and he's spent more time than he should to make sure I understand what's going on and feel comfortable.

When I was diagnosed 10 days ago, my doctor put me on three pills, once a day.  Prezista, Truvada and Norvir.  From what I understand, this is a standard combination with low resistance problems.  I haven't felt any side effects (NONE) and I don't need to take them with food.  I just wake up, get a glass of water and take it.  Easy!  Next week I was told they'll switch me to one pill a day, once they get the Genotype test and know what strain I have.  Super easy!   ......just saying    ;)

Anyways, take care and let me/us know how your lab numbers come out.

Hugs!

10.14   Infected
11.14   VL 3.6M
01.15   VL 38
02.15   VL 144
02.15   VL <20 Detected

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2014, 01:27:48 pm »

I've been spending too much time researching and reading about HIV.   Sometimes I want a break but I can't pull myself away from it. 

This is very typical, but you need to force yourself to halt such actions. It will end up being rather unhealthy mentally, worsening depression and/or anxiety issues.

Or perhaps a better idea is to put a strict one hour per day limit on doing research. It's good to learn, but not if it begins taking over your life. You'd do better to spend the other hours being socially engaged like you were before diagnosis... movies, dinner out, etc.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 01:34:08 pm by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2014, 02:10:02 pm »
Hi Notreally.. I think I may have been wrong, it usually takes about 10 years to get AIDS but by the time you get there, your immune system is so fucked up you would wish you started meds earlier.. Besides, the meds nowadays are much better to tolerate.. I agree with LJ, starting your meds early is the way to go, you'll have peace of mind and the HIV will no longer be causing havoc on your immune system.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2014, 02:21:19 pm »
Here's a link that might help...
http://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/just-diagnosed-with-hiv-aids/hiv-in-your-body/stages-of-hiv/
For people who are not on ART, the clinical latency stage lasts an average of 10 years, but some people may progress through this stage faster.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2014, 02:30:27 pm »
If your hiv positive you should be on meds.  This whole waiting to start meds until you reach some arbitrary number is antiquated and based on old science. 

Your doctor told you to wait and then followed up with that's the right thing to do?  I'd question the motives of that. 

Also, this whole discussion about how long it takes from diagnosis until you get AIDS is pointless.  Who cares?  Hiv causes damage from day one, why wait until you're almost dead to fight it, that makes no sense.   

if it takes one year or ten so what? 

Get on meds, take your pills, get healthy, and get on with it

« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:34:35 pm by buginme2 »
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2014, 03:21:50 pm »
This whole waiting to start meds until you reach some arbitrary number is antiquated and based on old science. 

While I agree about when to begin meds it's simply not the standard yet in the EU and/or WHO-defined European area. And the OP is European.

And as far as meech's comments about some city area doctors now initiating treatment upon diagnosis, I'm sure that's very accurate for Western Europe, specifically places without 25% unemployment and year long recessions, but HIV rates are much, much higher in Central and Eastern Europe and those places have even worse economies than somewhere like Spain that has 25% unemployment.

Frankly I don't see their 350 cd4 count guidelines changing anytime soon due to dismal economic conditions.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2014, 03:48:35 pm »
Your right.  I wish the finances of it all didnt dictate treatment decisions but they do, that's life.

I'm biased on this topic due to some recent health/hiv issues that have made me wish I started meds sooner (although for me that would have meant diagnosed sooner as I started at diagnosis) and just have felt a bit defeated by the whole hiv bag of tricks.

I just hope more people can get on meds right away. 

Offline lifejourney

« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2014, 06:12:45 pm »
@ buginme2  Hugs!!!
10.14   Infected
11.14   VL 3.6M
01.15   VL 38
02.15   VL 144
02.15   VL <20 Detected

Offline notreally

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2014, 09:01:45 am »
So you guys basically think that it's best to start with medication right away?

Dear Tonny, thanks for a lovely reply, I definitely agree with what you said, and I will have to do some research and talk to the doctor about what's best option to go with. And you made some clear points in what you said so i will definitely talk about it with doctor.
WOW, did you have to take 20 pills per day? that seems too much! how much are you taking now?
Sending big hugs! (also support group may be a good idea but i'm not sure if i can talk about it in front of lots of strangers yet)

Dear LJ, I'm happy that you are doing good, i think those feelings can be very tough but you should always stay positive in your mind and keep it like that. I also know that it's bad thinking about it, but sometimes you just cant help it.
Also happy fot the one pill treatment, much better than 3 per day, that can be also very challenging. I will for sure hit you up when i get results. huggies!

Offline ShadesOfGrey80

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2014, 09:38:40 am »
Hi Notreally,

There are a lot of debates on when to start meds even amongst doctors. Often they will look at your CD4 and viral load before they advise you. If your numbers are good, they often tell you to decide on your own (while some, like the doctor I have, actively advised to start immediately while I'm still in good physical health).

Today actually marks my one year anniversary of finding out my poz status while doing my regular check up. It hit me so hard as I never thought it could happen to me. I was devastated at the time and was inclined to move to somewhere with less stigma.

However, a year later, I can tell you I'm living my life not much different than before. I'm on 2 pills a day regime. I exercise regularly, eat healthy, and I'm in great physical condition. I've also been undetectable soon after I started meds. This year I have hardly ever been sick once, even when others have the flu!

I must say, the tough part for me is forming relationships, as often you don't know how you are going to communicate that to others. The fear of rejection has given me a couple of nightmares along the way. So far I have only disclosed it to a girlfriend of mine who works in the medical field. I do feel that you need to be ready internally before rushing any decision that might stir up your social life as that can have pretty strong effect on your mood.

With regards to drinking, it would depend on your meds and the quantity your drinking. Speak to your doctor about it. As for smoking, it is never a good thing, even for a healthy person.

Anyway, you will experience your ups and downs, but don't let those negative thoughts beat you. Look for things to do and occupy yourself. I wish you the best and hope you keep your head up high and look forward to a good life :-)

Offline notreally

« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2014, 10:25:56 am »
Hey ShadesOfGrey,

Thanks for your reply and i'm happy that you're healthy and got great mindset. I thing the worst thing when you get this type of news is over-thinking about it and it kinda stucks in your head, but i'm trying to keep positive attitude towards it as much as I can.

I agree with you regarding the relationships. It's maybe the hardest part because of the stigma and all the negative connotation related with infection. I want to tell my parents so bad because we have great relationship but i feel like that would affect them worse than it affected me.

I hope I'll get to your mindset soon but it takes time.. I will for sure stop smoking, I already reduced it up to 5 cigs a day, but those stupid cigarettes kind of give me some comfort..

All the best to you and hope we stay in touch!

Offline notreally

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2014, 10:28:06 am »
btw guys do you get your medicine at the pharmacy or at the clinic? did u had any negative experience with getting the medicine?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2014, 11:32:52 am »
btw guys do you get your medicine at the pharmacy or at the clinic? did u had any negative experience with getting the medicine?

You said you are European -- does that mean you are living there right now? What country?

Most people on this forum are from the US, so what we do or do not on certain matters won't be relevant to you. But some may... hard to tell when we don't know more about your circumstances. How is health service coordinated in your country. I'm sure if you live in Bucharest thinks are different than living in London, etc.

Anyway, I get my medication from a pharmacy that is in the same building as my HIV clinic, however it's in no way affiliated with the clinic. At any rate, I could go to any pharmacy that I wanted to go to, I am in no way restricted.

Offline Tonny2

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2014, 12:02:00 pm »

ojo     Hola notreally....I used to get my meds through a mail order service, then, I decided to get them in my local pharmacy, because of the co=payment assistance program, getting them in my local pharmacy I would have to pay my co-pay, otherwise, I would pay and the have to do some paperwork to get back my co-pays, now, Starting January, I will have to get them, again,via mail order (changes on CVSCaremark)....what do you mean with negative experience?..what people might think?, if so, who cares..in  my case, the pharmacy staff has been pretty nice...wishing you the best...more hugs     ojo

Offline notreally

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2014, 12:39:51 pm »
Hey Miss Philicia, I live in the central Europe and here is also a pharmacy in the same building as the HIV clinic and the meds are covered by the health insurance.

Tonny, yeah, i heard some people were to ashamed to go to regular pharmacy to get their meds and didn't want to be associated with the fact that they're hiv positive or didnt want the pharmacist to know that.
I also heard that in some countries pharmacist can be also quite judgemental.
Btw are you from Spain? such a beautiful country :)

Offline mecch

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2014, 12:47:37 pm »
Take what you need from judgemental people who you must deal with and ignore their judgements.
In Switzerland we go to the corner pharmacy and get our meds like its any other medicine its absolutely routine. I have experienced Switzerland might be up to a year behind the US when putting a new drug on the "must be provided" list. Thats about it.
I don't even bother with a reserve and I think thats dumb of me and in 2015 will make an effort to get back about 2 months reserve because I suppose one never knows.
I would check with HIV+ people in your country to see if anyone thinks its wise to build a treatment reserve. That is, when you decide to start meds...

Offline mlc83

• New and Dealing...
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2014, 12:59:47 pm »
Hi Notreally, welcome to the forums.

I too am from europe and my doctor has the same mindset.. to start as late as possible.. my CD4 was at 339 in July and 33 in November but he still wants to wait a couple of months to do more tests to start meds.. because i dont know when i was infected.

Good luck on quitting smoking! Although i know i have to quit.. its hard!  :'(

Offline notreally

« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2014, 01:21:42 pm »
Take what you need from judgemental people who you must deal with and ignore their judgements.

mecch, I agree; Switzerland has a greatly organized policy and I'm glad to hear that.

thank you mlc83 :) my doctor told me that there are also some people who refuse to take a medicine even though they are under 350 CD4 and they start taking them as late as possible so dont worry about that, it will be ok.
Ah, smoking is the worst habit, i don't know if it's beter to stop at once or by reducing? what do you think?

Offline buginme2

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2014, 01:31:10 pm »
Hi Notreally, welcome to the forums.

I too am from europe and my doctor has the same mindset.. to start as late as possible.. my CD4 was at 339 in July and 33 in November but he still wants to wait a couple of months to do more tests to start meds.. because i dont know when i was infected.

Good luck on quitting smoking! Although i know i have to quit.. its hard!  :'(

Your cd4 count is 33 and your doctor still wants you to wait to start meds?  Insanity!

Offline buginme2

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2014, 01:37:32 pm »
So you guys basically think that it's best to start with medication right away?

I do. 

As it's been mentioned.  In Europe the practice is to wait to start meds.  In the US the practice is to start meds right away.  I agree with the US practice.   If I were diagnosed today I would demand to start meds as quickly as possible.  That's based on my own personal experience living with hiv and what I have learned from discussions with doctors and my own research. 

You have the right to make those decisions, do what's right for you.

Modified to add:  which meds you have access to also plays a role.  If you only had access to older medications you may want to delay.  Etc etc
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 01:46:40 pm by buginme2 »

Offline mlc83

• New and Dealing...
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2014, 01:43:30 pm »
oh i meant 333 XD sorry... its a new laptop and still getting used to the keys hehe!!

re smoking... if i were to quit id quit all at once... but not everyone s the same. for me it will be especially hard and everyone around me smokes as well.. at home, at work, and my friends too!

Re Meds i will have to speak to my doctor again when i see him in March... i would feel more comfortable if i was on them but we ll see!

Offline buginme2

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2014, 01:49:54 pm »
oh i meant 333 XD sorry... its a new laptop and still getting used to the keys hehe!!

re smoking... if i were to quit id quit all at once... but not everyone s the same. for me it will be especially hard and everyone around me smokes as well.. at home, at work, and my friends too!

Re Meds i will have to speak to my doctor again when i see him in March... i would feel more comfortable if i was on them but we ll see!

Smoking and hiv don't mix.  By all means, quit if you can.

Offline notreally

« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2014, 01:58:10 pm »
mlc, haha i figured that it was a spelling mistake :) i know, it requires so much motivation to stop smoking at once, but fingers crossed we'll be able to do that soon, i know how it feels.
regarding the meds, I have maybe the same feeling about it, i still have to do some thinking then decide when to start with the treatment.
how do you feel mentally, are you in a good place?

buginme, thank you for your reply and suggestions, i'll for sure talk to the doctor next week but i hate the fact that it's my decision to make because I dont have much experience and knowledge about everything.

Offline LukasFRA

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2014, 04:55:26 pm »
Hi NR. sorry to read about your diagnosis, but you will see you can work it out after a while. Europe is quite diverse - the approach is different from country to country. Central Europe could be Germany, but also Poland, Austria etc. And just like everywhere else it depends very much on your "medicine man". I live in Germany. The country has a very solid medical system and expenses are covered. Period. There are no exceptions. My doc recommended to start therapy right after all tests had been completed. This is the general approach in Germany if you are in a HIV clinic or seeing a HIV doctor. I am on Eviplera (Complera in the US). I have been diagnosed on August 16, 2013. So far I do not have experienced any side effects. I am a senior executive, age 49, and I was very scared about my ability to continue to work - so far no change in my professional life. I did not share my diagnosis with anyone except with my partner (he tested negative).  We have been together for over 10 years when I got the diagnosis and we are still together. I used to smoke but quit a couple of years ago. 5 cigs and a glass of wine will not hurt. Try to live healthy, but continue to enjoy life. And if you feel that a few cigs and a glass (or two) of wine make your life better just do it :-) . At the age of 24 I was diagnosed with cancer and went through chemotherapy. Just like that experience I have taken a lot of strength out of the HIV diagnosis. It helped me to make sure that I was focusing on the right things in life.

And even if it sounds weird and arrogant: I feel that I am someone special and should use my life at its best.

Lukas

Offline notreally

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2014, 05:06:52 pm »
hey Lukas, thanks for nice and encouraging words, I'm sorry to hear about previous struggles with cancer, but you got through it, and you will get through this for sure, i'm very happy to hear that you're doing great and got positive mindset and a supportive partner ofc :) !
so you are also emphasizing to start therapy right away, I'm really not sure what to do?

Offline mecch

« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2014, 06:02:13 pm »
Find out what combos are available for your treatment. 
If they are all pretty good ones, then take your time over the next few months with a goal to decide if you will start pretty soon with these good drugs.
There is no need to decide this month for example. Take your time.

Offline notreally

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2014, 07:31:49 am »
thanks mecch, i will find out, talk to a doctor and let you know on what did i decide :) hugs

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.