Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:17:20 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 494
Total: 496

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Australian AIDS Revival  (Read 6011 times)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Australian AIDS Revival
« on: October 18, 2010, 02:57:49 pm »
Bum flu is on the rise down here in the Merry Old Land of the Long Weekend!

AUSTRALIA has reported its highest number of new HIV infections in almost 20 years, but cases of infectious syphilis, gonorrhoea and hepatitis have dropped, leading experts to conclude the safe sex message is getting through.

About 1050 new cases of HIV were reported last year, a level not reached since 1993. The numbers had remained relatively stable for four years, giving researchers hope that the disease was being restrained.

Arse banditry is the still the most common mode but dirty foreigners are doing their bit too it seems.

Two-thirds of new cases were in men who had sex with men but a growing number of those diagnosed were heterosexual men and women, predominantly from countries where the disease is rife.

Chlamydia isn't going to be left behind!

New chlamydia infections were still soaring, however, with 62,000 cases reported last year, up 4 per cent from 2008. Teenagers and people in their 20s were driving the epidemic, and many were probably unaware they had the disease, he said.

And of course, the mandatory sobering list of numbers is saved for the end.

21,171 Australians have HIV

1050 new cases diagnosed in 2009

63 per cent were men who have sex with men

3 per cent were injecting drug users

The lowest number of new diagnoses was 718 in 1999

The highest number was 2400 in 1987

(link)

MtD

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
Re: Australian AIDS Revival
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 03:01:37 pm »
a growing number of those diagnosed were heterosexual men and women, predominantly from countries where the disease is rife.[/i][/color]

I thouht Australia prohibited immigration from those who were infected? 
09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 03:04:55 pm »
I thouht Australia prohibited immigration from those who were infected? 

You thought incorrectly. It is possible to emigrate to Australia if you are HIV positive.

MtD

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 03:10:35 pm »
You thought incorrectly. It is possible to emigrate to Australia if you are HIV positive.

MtD

Sometimes, I fantasize about leaving jesusland the united states.  I figured I was stuck here when I heard "your result was positive".  Do you know any details of the process?  I figured canada basically had the most liberal rules, and they basically require you to be a nonprogressor.
09/01/2009-neg

09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 03:23:52 pm »
Sometimes, I fantasize about leaving jesusland the united states.  I figured I was stuck here when I heard "your result was positive".  Do you know any details of the process?  I figured canada basically had the most liberal rules, and they basically require you to be a nonprogressor.

We have an American member here called OzPaul. He successfully emigrated to Australia as a pozzie. He was naturalised earlier this year.

I think the requirements here include that you demonstrate you will not be an undue burden on the public health system. Refugees and asylum seekers are excluded from that requirement.

It's complicated but not impossible. AFAO may have more information.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 03:33:16 pm »
21,171 HIV cases in the entire country?  Step up your game -- we have 32,402 just in the Phildelphia metropolitan area, which at six million people is one fourth your total national population.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 03:34:42 pm »

Why don't you just move to a part of the US that is outside of Jesusland?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 03:41:57 pm »
21,171 HIV cases in the entire country?  Step up your game -- we have 32,402 just in the Phildelphia metropolitan area, which at six million people is one fourth your total national population.

Yup. 21,171. The cumulative total since 1983 is 28,000 or thereabouts.

Why so low? Two words: needle exchange. Keep HIV out of your drug injector population and you prevent it spreading in the general population. As the news report notes HIV positive heterosexuals in Australia are largely a product of migration from areas where HIV has a high degree of prevalence.

MtD

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 04:14:16 pm »
Matty is of course correct  :)

I was able to immigrate even though I'm poz. Having said that it took 3 years and lots of $$$. In the end, my case went to a tribunal where I prevailed. I had an excellent migration attorney who had previously represented other poz folks and also prevailed with them. In my case it is thought that because I'm what is termed a long term non progressor/LTNP or 'elite controller' that is why I won my legal battle.

I am blessed that as an ltnp, i've never been on hiv meds, never been ill with any hiv associated illness and have no viral load, thus not likely to become a  financial burden to the Australian taxpayer. I count my  blessings every day. I also have a partner who is Australian who sponsored me to become a citizen.  I tested poz in 1985 though likely became infected in 1981. I'm also enrolled in 3 international ltnp studies. One at NIH, one in Boston with Bruce Walker's group and one in Sydney where I go next week. I've been in these studies for 6 years.

Paul xxx

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 05:55:59 pm »
I should add that since he has been naturalised, Paul is not just an American he's Australian as well.

In complement to the OP: HIV is increasing amongst Australians in the 55+ year old demographic.

Professor John de Wit has been studying the social reasons behind the spread of STDs.

He says older people are becoming infected with HIV because they are of the generation around when HIV first hit the world.

"Those people, in a sense, are also more likely to have friends or partners who are also infected with HIV," he said.

"Partly what we see is that the number of people infected with HIV goes down as age goes down because infection tends to spread amongst peers who have sex with each other."

With regard to overseas infections:

"Very often they find that out as part of the migration process, or where once in Australia start having health concerns," he said.

"And so that's part of it. Part of the heterosexual transmission is also Australians who are going overseas and becoming infected."

(link)

MtD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 07:38:25 pm »

It's so easy for you to say that, but you know that moving is a huge proposition for anyone, discounting HIV even.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 07:40:47 pm »
It's so easy for you to say that, but you know that moving is a huge proposition for anyone, discounting HIV even.

If you wanna troll and flamebait there are two or three other threads you can make a bastard of yourself in. Reinfection and that tedious oral sex are two that spring to mind.

Keep your attitude out of this one, Billy-Bob.

MtD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 07:47:02 pm »
If you wanna troll and flamebait there are two or three other threads you can make a bastard of yourself in. Reinfection and that tedious oral sex are two that spring to mind.

Keep your attitude out of this one, Billy-Bob.

MtD

Did you actually read what I wrote?  Your response is obviously not relevant to what I wrote in any way, shape, or form.  I'm sorry if you feel I'm trolling your thread, but the reality is I was responding to Philly's post in a completely appropriate way without any amount of venom or sarcasm.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 07:51:57 pm »

The person in question was wanting to move outside of the country.  Moving to a different state is, obviously, a cheaper proposition than that.

Moving isn't that expensive anyway once you have a job lined up.  Not to mention when I moved to NYC in my 20's I didn't even have a job.  It can be done.  Not sure why the concept makes you upset, nor why you say it's "so easy" for me to say in particular.  Let's keep this civil, shall we?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 07:57:26 pm »
The person in question was wanting to move outside of the country.  Moving to a different state is, obviously, a cheaper proposition than that.

Moving isn't that expensive anyway once you have a job lined up.  Not to mention when I moved to NYC in my 20's I didn't even have a job.  It can be done.  Not sure why the concept makes you upset, nor why you say it's "so easy" for me to say in particular.  Let's keep this civil, shall we?

If you are working, and not a property owner then moving is a lot easier, but attempting to sell a house and find a new job in the current job market is a difficult proposition.  It doesn't upset me, I just always think when someone's advice is "Just move!" that it's a little bit more complex than that.  This is of course assuming you are okay with potentially moving away from family.  Who may or may not live in "Jesusland" I dunno about Numbersguy's situation well enough to comment as to whether that is a consideration.  Establishing yourself in a new city is not always fun either, but part of the territory I suppose.

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 10:10:37 pm »
What great timing for this report!  Just in time for all good men and women in Oz to start praying to their very own saint!

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/asia-pacific/2010/10/20101017144255773848.html

Must have been divine inspiration - or a payback for the cost of his visit to the land down under.

Matty, you are absolutely correct about the syring exchange. We have had it in my state since 1997 and have one of the lowest levels of HIV among IV drug users.

HUGS,

Mark
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 10:13:54 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 10:15:12 pm »
If you are working, and not a property owner then moving is a lot easier, but attempting to sell a house and find a new job in the current job market is a difficult proposition.  It doesn't upset me, I just always think when someone's advice is "Just move!" that it's a little bit more complex than that.  This is of course assuming you are okay with potentially moving away from family.  Who may or may not live in "Jesusland" I dunno about Numbersguy's situation well enough to comment as to whether that is a consideration.  Establishing yourself in a new city is not always fun either, but part of the territory I suppose.

Now you're just moving the goal posts around to validate your post, not to mention I have no idea why numbersguy is being dragged in here.  Not that I find this surprising, but hey...

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 10:25:48 pm »
Now you're just moving the goal posts around to validate your post, not to mention I have no idea why numbersguy is being dragged in here.  Not that I find this surprising, but hey...

Our girl numbersguy is a Miamian; we are anything but "Jesusland" down here.   

I believe you are right, wtfimpoz should consider moving to a larger metro area where he might feel less burdened by his HIV status (and where he would find more pozzums that he could relate to).  While the idea of moving to another country sounds really glamourous in theory, the actual legalities are too many to stress about them.  I would move with Matty any day in a heartbeat, but the fact that I am not an LTNP makes that an unlikely possibility.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 12:05:38 am »

Chlamydia isn't going to be left behind!

New chlamydia infections were still soaring, however, with 62,000 cases reported last year, up 4 per cent from 2008. Teenagers and people in their 20s were driving the epidemic, and many were probably unaware they had the disease, he said.

MtD

I've been hearing the Koala population is being ravished by Chlamydia--up to 80% of them are infected.  Are Koalas going around picking guys and girls up for hot Koala sex?  Are they the new gay bears?

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2010, 12:21:39 am »
Canada will accept poz residents, as long as you have a sponsorship, by a citizen for three years. Without a sponsor, you may still immigrate, but you must guarantee the Canadian government, that you will not be a strain on health care services. It does not preclude you from receiving treatment, however you must meet other guidelines that can be somewhat challenging.

Trey, sometimes people move thousands of miles, from all that they know and love, to be accepted as an equal in another country. Stephen and I did not run from the US, instead we ran toward full equal rights in Canada. For me, when I strongly believe and want something, there are never insurmountable obstacles, because I will simply not allow it to be. For almost every problem, there is a solution and for all the rest, I just play it by ear.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2010, 12:46:40 am »
I've been hearing the Koala population is being ravished by Chlamydia--up to 80% of them are infected.  Are Koalas going around picking guys and girls up for hot Koala sex?  Are they the new gay bears?

I had always heard that syphilis was rampant amongst koalas.  There's also a couple of STDs that humans don't have that can transmit to the human population.  Essentially making the same leap that HIV did.

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 01:41:58 am »

The particular bubble I live in isn't bad, although the state leaves something to be desired.

Because, at the end of the day, Pennsylvanians are subject to the same federal taxation laws which Missourians demand, so  wealth inequality is stratospheric even in Philly.  Maybe even worse.  Alaskans will always be able to use their "I've got mine so f**k you" attitude to dismantle healthcare reform which would benefit Californians, and the masses from everywhere in red can be counted on to rise to the occasion and spend my tax dollars on The Next Big War.  Further, the political differences between all but the most extreme poles of this country are really minor.  Sarah Palin gets speaking engagements throughout the country and even NYC has tea party protests.  Healthcare is provided by your employer, so if you're a pozzie you've got a giant target in your forehead and god only knows what complications if there is a lapse.  I'm aware that Australia has had Pauline Hanson and who knows who else.  In the end though, the effect seems more palatable from a distance.  It doesn't matter, I'm stuck here now as I'm far from a nonprogressor/controller.   
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 01:52:42 am by wtfimpoz »
09/01/2009-neg

09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.