Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 05:31:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773177
  • Total Topics: 66333
  • Online Today: 335
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 279
Total: 282

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Dont know what to do :(  (Read 10351 times)

Offline lookforward

Dont know what to do :(
« on: September 21, 2006, 05:28:07 am »
Hi...

Im 24 years old and just tested positive for HIV. I dont know what to do know and i feel everything is just coming to an end. I dont know if i want to start on medicine. Ive heard people have died faster because of that. Anyone heard the same? Does the medicine help you live longer? I feel awful. Dont know if its my body or my brain. Starting to getting paranoid and that i maybe not wake up the next morning.

But the worst part is that i cannot go into a relasionship with a woman no more. I always wanted to create a family and have a good life but no i just waiting for my death. Its frightning and i dont know what to do :'(

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: Dont know what to do :(
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 05:58:35 am »
Forward,

I'm sorry to hear that you've tested positive for HIV.

About the medications. There is overwhelming scientific evidence that medications aka Highly Active Anti-Retroviral Therapy or HAART significantly increase the lifespan of HIV positive people. Not just that but for the vast majority of HIVers on HAART the quality of that life is improved as well. There are a large number of people here who would not be with us without HAART.

People who have lived 25+ years in some cases.

It's true that HAART can be very punishing for some people. The side effects can be most unpleasant, nevertheless, most people find those side-effects tolerable. Many people don't experience significant ill effects as a result of medications at all.

You don't have to leap head first into medication treatments right now. In fact, I'd recommend you wait until you have an idea just how your HIV is progressing. Many people can go for years without medications and feel perfectly healthy. Indeed, there is some wisdom in taking a more measured approach. HAART is a serious commitment and not one to be entered into lightly.

Darlin' you're only waiting to die if that how you decide to think. We don't use the term "people living with HIV" for nothing, you know. ;) Similarly, there's no reason why you can't have a fulfilling intimate relationship with another person and even have children if that's what you desire. There may well be options such as adoption or fostering, but you should know that there are also methods of conceiving "naturally" available to HIVers. Certainly there are complications, but then such is life.

Finally welcome to the Forums. Take the time to read our lessons section. You'll find the link to our treatments and testing lessons in the upper left hand corner of the page.

Regards,

MtD

Offline bedder1

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 06:18:53 am »
first i am sorry to here that you tested positive.
having only just tested positive myself i dont know that im one that should be giving you advice but if you dont mind, i will tell you what I choose to believe
first and foremost hiv is not the death sentence it once was.
you dont mention what your cd4 and virus level counts are and i wonder if you just tested positive have you already gotten the first numbers back?
even assuming your doctor did want to start you on meds, from what i  ve seen and heard time and time again is that the meds are able to bring the virus levels down to undetectable i am not going to get much further into this area because as i said im just feeling my way around this new world myself now.  i WOULD suggest you click on the lessons pages and try to read them...for me at least i found them very helpful and above all know this  YOU CAME TO THE RIGHT PLACE please stick around read others posts they can be a great source for inspiration. and by all means ASK questions!
my name is Jeff  and im here if you need a hug or need to talk
theres only us
theres only this
forget regret
or life is yours to miss
no other road
no other way
no day but today!

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 07:40:03 am »
Hello,

Welcome to the forums. It is always difficult to welcome someone new here, but I am sure that you WILL find the support and knowledge you need in living with HIV.

I completely understand the emotions that you are going through. The ups and downs the anxiety, the anger, guilt, the fear. It is something that everyone of us has gone through at some point. For me, my earliest fears began back in 1985, when I was diagnosed positive. Its been 21 years since that time.

I can also tell you that if I had not started on medication when I did, back in October of 2003, I would not be typing this message out to you right now. The meds have saved my life. I still work full time. I was diagnosed when I was 33 , I am now 54, soon to be 55 in a couple months.

My advice to you at this point, would be to take things slowly, give yourself some time to adjust to this new lifestyle and knowledge of your status, of living with HIV. And, by the way, there is absolutely no reason why you can't be in a relationship. I know things are tough right now, and that things can seem very frightening, but I can tell you that things will get better, if you allow yourself to live in a positive frame of mind.

Read up on the lessons when you are ready, and don't be afraid to ask questions !! The more you understand, on how to live with this virus, the better your life will ultimately be. You may not believe this right now, but this is not the end of your world. It will certainly change,  but you will still be a part of it.

http://www.aidsmeds.com/lessons/StartHere1.htm

Take care of yourself---------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 08:07:00 am »
You've already received some sage advice from regular members here. And we're glad you found your way to this site.

Right now HIV feels huge and overwhelming. Given time you will see that it will remain an important part of your life, but only a part of it. And your dream of having a family will still be possible. That's further down the line, but I will tell you that methods have been developed which allow for those who are HIV+ to safely have children without passing on the virus.

Right now it's first things first. You need to have a doctor who's regularly monitoring your statistics and with whom you can form a good working partnership to keep you healthy. That will be help you to see that your life is going to go on and that it's going to be about much more than just HIV. Gradually you will learn everything you need to know about taking care of your health.

Please read the lessons on this site. I think you will find them helpful. Remember that you're always welcome to ask questions here and to bring up anything you want to discuss.

This is a challenging time for you, but you can get through it. And then life is going to go on. Really.

Welcome!

Andy Velez

Offline inthesameboat

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 01:41:46 am »
Welcome to the forums...  Im very new here myself . I was diagnosed poz only 3 months ago..  I had a lot of fears, doubts,but thinking of me as dying tomorrow was not and is not my main issue.. To many things to do and to deal with before that.
Theres millions of people LIVING with hiv and Living healthy lives. 
This days HIV + is a chonic illness as many others this days..  Something to take care , something to deal with, something to learn about , something to fight with but not a reason to quit life and stop fighting.
Keep in touch..Keep focus and keep on living!
Life is hard sometimes..and we are stronger everyday.

Offline Eldon

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 06:49:45 pm »
Hello Lookforward it is Eldon.

Your screen name is exactly correct. "You have everything to look forward to in your life". Yes, I DO agree that it is unfortunate that you have tested HIV positive. HOWEVER, it is a good thing that you DID find this out so that you can now focus on your health and get your house of health in order. DO take the time to read through the lessons that are provided to you on this site.

There are many others just as yourself who are in the very same predicament. You are not alone. Work on building yourself a strong support system. Have that in place. Take it in stride and educate yourself on HIV/AIDS. Definitely change your eating habits, create a workout schedule, drink plenty of fluids, get some excercise, and assure that you get your proper rest.

I wish to extend to you a warm WELCOME to the forum family. As you have seen there is understanding, encouragement, communication, support, some cries, some laughter, and a lot of information relating to HIV/AIDS. Also, a very excellent way to add to your current support system.

Again, Welcome! and have the BEST Day!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.